PDA

View Full Version : FSX and Windows 10

Stearman
March 14th, 2021, 08:16
Sorry if this has already been discussed here. If so, I'd much appreciate if someone could direct me to a guide.

I'm trying to install FSX (boxed version) for the 1st time on my new PC (1st time under Windows 10), but all my old DVDs seem to have become unreadable. The DVD unit keeps trying to read them frantically in a never-ending loop. I've read somewhere it might be due to the unit being blu-ray compatible, which apparently doesn't like the protections on the FSX disks.

That given, I'm now considering buying the Steam edition when a sale is available, but even so, I keep reading about problems I can expect, related to DirectX, Visual C++, .NET Framework, etc.

I'd much appreciate any advice you can give on the matter, from anyone who has succeeded with FSX under Windows 10.
Thanks in advance, best regards.

gavinc
March 14th, 2021, 08:25
I run both FSX and FSX-SE on windows 10 with no issues.

The only recommendation that I followed was to install them outside the default windows program folders.

Can't help with the blue ray disk issue. I had no issues installing FSX Deluxe from DVD but I have a standard DVD reader. Maybe you should pick up a USB DVD and try plugging that in.

Gavin

Ascua
March 14th, 2021, 08:55
I do believe that is a problem with Windows 10, and not only with FSX either, been trying for ages to install a vanilla copy of FSX in my new computer (Win 10) but no dice!
I'll certainly keep a close eye on this thread!!! :tennis:

hschuit
March 14th, 2021, 09:38
Maybe this discussion will help:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/119770-FSX-Acceleration-from-Windows-7-to-Windows-10-Any-issues?p=1223461&viewfull=1#post1223461

Motormouse
March 14th, 2021, 09:39
I do believe that is a problem with Windows 10, and not only with FSX either, been trying for ages to install a vanilla copy of FSX in my new computer (Win 10) but no dice!
I'll certainly keep a close eye on this thread!!! :tennis:

Don't use the disc autorun, browse to the installer file on disc contents. Fsx and Acceleration installed on my new win10 laptop no problem.

Ttfn

Pete

ian elliot
March 14th, 2021, 10:38
Some forum members, me included, have experienced very long load up time's for the FSX disks, anything up to an hour or two, ive inserted the disk, made and drank a cup of coffee and done some odd jobs around the flat, and its just started to install on my return, and dont forget to install into a folder outside Program files :wavey:

Stearman
March 14th, 2021, 14:38
I run both FSX and FSX-SE on windows 10 with no issues.

I'm curious... may I ask what's the goal of having them both installed?

downwind
March 14th, 2021, 14:57
FSX-SE runs quite well on my off-the-shelf Dell/Win10 PC. It's what you do after the basic FSX install that makes a truly nice quality experience. Although I still have my original 2006 disks for FSX, I wouldn't use them in favor of Steam's version. I hope you have an Nvidia card, because Nvidia Inspector is the key to superior graphics and framerates, Including DX10 performance with DV10 Fxer.Steam offers easy maintenance of your FSX. If things go off the rails, a reinstall is easy as long as you save a copy of your Aircraft files somewhere outside of FSX (I use a thumb drive).

Dangerous Beans
March 14th, 2021, 15:47
I couldn't use my FSX disks if I wanted to, their so old now that one of them has started to delaminate.
No big deal FSX-SE is more stable anyway because its not quite the same version, they fixed a few of the bug in the original.

Stearman
March 15th, 2021, 00:02
FSX-SE runs quite well on my off-the-shelf Dell/Win10 PC. It's what you do after the basic FSX install that makes a truly nice quality experience. Although I still have my original 2006 disks for FSX, I wouldn't use them in favor of Steam's version. I hope you have an Nvidia card, because Nvidia Inspector is the key to superior graphics and framerates, Including DX10 performance with DV10 Fxer.Steam offers easy maintenance of your FSX. If things go off the rails, a reinstall is easy as long as you save a copy of your Aircraft files somewhere outside of FSX (I use a thumb drive).

Yes, I have an Nvidia card, but really don't know what Nvidia Inspector is. I have Nvidia control panel always running in the background, and GeForce Experience software which keeps my drivers permanently updated, but that's it.
Is Nvidia Inspector something I should download in addition?

Stearman
March 15th, 2021, 00:04
I couldn't use my FSX disks if I wanted to, their so old now that one of them has started to delaminate.
No big deal FSX-SE is more stable anyway because its not quite the same version, they fixed a few of the bug in the original.

I assume, though, all my add-ons for FSX will be FSX-SE compatible, won't they?

huub vink
March 15th, 2021, 00:18
I assume, though, all my add-ons for FSX will be FSX-SE compatible, won't they?

Yes, at least I haven't ran into anything which wasn't compatible.

Cheers,
Huub

Cees Donker
March 15th, 2021, 01:38
FSX is o.k., but the installation of Acceleration is impossible in Win10: it stays in demo mode.

Cees

Stearman
March 15th, 2021, 01:54
FSX is o.k., but the installation of Acceleration is impossible in Win10: it stays in demo mode.
Cees

OK, but the Steam Edition includes all features of Acceleration pack, doesn't it?

downwind
March 15th, 2021, 04:50
Steam includes all of the features of of the original FSX with Accelleration, in a more manageable form. Consider adding Steve's DX10 Fixer. It gives you many enhancements, particularly shadows (moving) in the interior of aircraft, with no performance hit.Here are the recommended settings for FSX:SE using Nvidia inspector: https://www.simforums.com/Forums/nvi-w7810-driver-setup-fsx-fsxse-and-p3d-update_topic59954.html I recommend that you not use the latest driver from nvidia but rather use one that is the last for your card (mine is a GTX 1060) - just mediocre, otherwise you are using settings for your system that it can't utilize. Another add-on that I recommend is Chase Plane from Orbx. It gives you several big features: Smooth panning of cockpit views using your mouse, realistic flight dynamics for each plane, including head latency, vibrations from the engine, custom external view presets and, combined with DX10 Fixer, moving shadows on your aircraft exterior and the ground.

Stearman
March 15th, 2021, 10:23
Thanks to all who replied,
it was really helpful.

gavinc
March 15th, 2021, 15:05
I'm curious... may I ask what's the goal of having them both installed?

FSX-SE has a modern install and FSX is a wayback machine with SilverWings scenery to replicate the early 1960s

Gavin

Stearman
March 16th, 2021, 03:48
FSX-SE has a modern install and FSX is a wayback machine with SilverWings scenery to replicate the early 1960s
Gavin

Ah, yes, SilverWings makes me remember GoldenWings (or it was GoldWings?), a similar universe I had once installed in FS9, to fully enjoy Bill and Lynn Lyons' Custom Classics...

Fond memories, indeed.

dhazelgrove
March 16th, 2021, 09:59

Cees

Have you looked here (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-gaming/fsx-accelaration-activation-problem/a2c3c7c8-1494-47fa-bcc1-0cf5cc2bc83e)?

Dave

Cees Donker
March 16th, 2021, 12:42
Have you looked here (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-gaming/fsx-accelaration-activation-problem/a2c3c7c8-1494-47fa-bcc1-0cf5cc2bc83e)?

Dave

I tried that and could only restart the machine going back to factory settings! I won't take that risk anymore!

Cees

tgycgijoes
March 17th, 2021, 19:41
That is why when I heard of ALL the problems with Windows 10 and FSX DVD and Acceleration, I bought 2 matching Acer Laptops with Windows 7 installed and Intel Graphics cards. I don't have any problems when it starts to have issues which it does after a couple of years an inherent FSX/MSN thing that I just completely remove all traces and reinstall it from the disks all 3: FSX(2) and Acceleration(1) and "voila" as the French say, its perfect again and I reload my addons from their installers or folders on all of my flashdrives that I continually update with new addons I acquire. I am really glad and suggest that you do that for anything you bought or downloaded because etailers go out of business and free stuff sometimes disappears. I personally don't like how Steam is not on my computer or on my desk. That's just me.

Duckie
March 18th, 2021, 05:53
I tried that and could only restart the machine going back to factory settings! I won't take that risk anymore!

Cees

Cees, I understand your concern and frustration but I wanted to ask one question regarding your experience with this registry entry. I was having similar issues with getting Accel disc to install. Wellis pointed me to the same fix with one important CAUTION:

“Go into the registry editor @ HKEY_LOCAL_Machine\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\CONTRO L\CLASS\{4D36e967-e325_11CE-bfc1-08002be10318}
Open this folder and double click on “UpperFilters” and ensure that the value is “PartMgr” with caps lower case. The default is all lower case which seems to be the hang-up.
After saving that change FSX and Acceleration installed perfectly for me. It appears that it reverts to all lower case after the install and a reboot, but MS FSX runs fine after you have gotten past the install.

wellis”

Here’s the link to the original post.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/120723-FSX-installation-help-please?p=1233202&viewfull=1#post1233202

Really not trying to convince you to change your but wanted to share my experience with this fix. My apologies if you’ve also tried this but this particular fix re the caps/lower case did it for me.

Steve

Manschy
March 18th, 2021, 12:46
How it works for me under Win10:

Don't try to install the Sim via setup or any other options directly from disc. This will in most cases ends into issues.

I did copy all contents of the (not sure how many...) discs INTO ONE folder. After this, I run the setup and I seem to recall that this did the trick.

Cees Donker
March 18th, 2021, 13:02
Steve,

I'm running FSX Steam now and I'm happy for the moment.
I'll give it another try when I return to Naval flight! Right now I'm hooked on Backcountry flying.

:wavey:

Cees

Duckie
March 18th, 2021, 15:43
Steve,

I'm running FSX Steam now and I'm happy for the moment.
I'll give it another try when I return to Naval flight! Right now I'm hooked on Backcountry flying.

:wavey:

Cees

:encouragement: