PDA

View Full Version : Minimum Throttle Setting Question

OBIO
March 1st, 2009, 11:39
Working on the recently updated FDG P-61 Black Widow series that Oglivie did a fantastic job on. Getting the planes ready for their FS2004 auditions...complete with new MDLs for FS2004 that put the crew in the planes (thanks Oglivie!).

The air and config files are CFS2 files. As such, the engines will not start with throttle pulled back all the way....got to give a bit of throttle advance to get the engines to start. I know there is a way to fix this....but not sure how.

I have run one of the config files through ACM while placing lights and effects, and ACM saved the config file in FS2004 format...so now I have all the FS2004 lines (I think). Where do I make the adjustment to get the engines to start with throttle pulled all the way back?

OBIO

Oglivie
March 1st, 2009, 13:42
OBIO,

I just dropped by for while and saw your post. I'm not sure about FS2004, but FS2002 has two settings in the aircraft config that may need to be adjusted (maybe the same for FS2004): idle_rpm_mechanical_efficiency_scalar or idle_rpm_friction_scalar in the [piston_engine] section. I think you only need to adjust one or the other. efficiency_scalar increase or friction scalar decrease. In FS2002, the engine will stall at idle eventually, or be difficult to start if there is too much friction or not enough idle efficiency.

Cheers,
O

Oglivie
March 1st, 2009, 14:37
FS2004 does use a different section in the air file for the engines. I didn't think a CFS2 or FS2002 air file would even work for FS2004 for the engines. MS must have allowed some function abililty for FS2004 to still use the old engine sections. But it still may not be entirely adequate for FS2004. You may want to consider substituting a FS2004 air file with simular flight charactoristics perhaps. That would be an alternative method if the engine start is still an issue.

Cheers,
O

Rich
March 1st, 2009, 14:58
It can be fixed in the aircraft.cfg no need to touch the airfile, go to the engine section in the aircraft.cfg and change this setting

idle_rpm_friction_scalar= 1.00000 to 0.50000 that should do it.

Oglivie
March 1st, 2009, 15:04
It can be fixed in the aircraft.cfg no need to touch the airfile, go to the engine section in the aircraft.cfg and change this setting

idle_rpm_friction_scalar= 1.00000 to 0.50000 that should do it.

Thanks Rich!

Willy
March 1st, 2009, 16:40
If it's problems with keeping the engine running when at idle, try this in the aircraft.cfg file....

[GeneralEngineData]
min_throttle_limit=0.20000 //fix for engine dying at idle

OBIO
March 1st, 2009, 16:53
I adjusted the idle_rpm_friction_scalar from 1 to .5 and the engines ran a bit longer at start up..but still died. So I went back into the config file to snoop around and saw that the auto start setting was 0, so I changed it to 1....and the engines now start just fine.

Thanks for all your help gents. I not only got one step closer to uploading all these amazing P-61s, but (more importantly) I learned a bit more about the inner workings of the air/config file partnership.

OBIO

GT182
March 1st, 2009, 17:37
When can we get ahold of the updated P-61 OBIO?

I just received the MAAM News Letter yesterday. And it looks like the MAAM P-61 could have it's entire tail assembly on for the WWII Weekend show in June. That is very good news. :d

OBIO
March 1st, 2009, 17:54
Have a few areas I need to iron out a bit, zip them up, and upload. Shouldn't be more than a couple days. There will be 13 individual aircraft packages, which I will bundle up into 4 uploads. Each plane has its own Aircraft folder.

OBIO