PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used this program for scenery enhancement

Cazzie
March 1st, 2009, 04:46
It says it works with FS9 and FSX, so if it is user friendly, I might give it a pop.

http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=instscen

Caz

Terry
March 1st, 2009, 05:59
They make it sound great. If it performs as they say it is worth the $25. If I am reading it right the same version does FS9 and FSX.

Brian_Gladden
March 1st, 2009, 06:19
I use it and I love it. It is a new version of EZ-scenery sold by Flight one rather than Abacus. It is able to use any scenery library out there (Runway 12 through default FSX objects) I run it in both FS9 and X and it's great. Paired with AFX and you can modify airports to your hearts content.

The differences from EZ-scenery is a better editing function for removing an already placed object and the ability to pitch and roll the objects rather than just heading, elevation and scale as done in EZ-Scenery.

Brian

falcon409
March 1st, 2009, 06:34
I'm with Brian on this one. I also use it for both FS9 and FSX along with AFX to do scenery enhancements and to build completely new airports. . .it's a terrific program and well worth the money spent.

Cazzie
March 1st, 2009, 06:37
Good enough for me coming from you fellows, I'm going to get it.

Thanks a bunch.

Caz

PutPut
March 1st, 2009, 07:03
I think it's the Cat's Pajama's!!! :ernae: :ernae:

Paul

srgalahad
March 2nd, 2009, 07:22
does it handle flattens and excludes on it's own or do you need an external program to do those?

Brian_Gladden
March 2nd, 2009, 08:33
You need a second program for flattens and excludes. The nice thing about Instand Scenery is that you see can see your scenery as you go. Much like the old Lago Scenery Enhancer but with much more flexibility.

I use Excbuilder for my excludes and I rarely need to flatten things as AFCAD/AFX does that well enough for my needs.

Brian

dogknot
March 2nd, 2009, 10:28
Thanks for the HU and tips!

Just tried out their demo version for kicks...30 days and must stay within 50nm of Sea-Tac. Placed Lightning's EZ-Nimitz in the sound without a hitch (carrier/wake/and hard deck).....and I didn't even read the directions first! Pretty neat!

Terry
March 3rd, 2009, 08:51
Has anyone used this product with Vista 32 bit system? The site does not say if the product works with Vista.

falcon409
March 3rd, 2009, 13:59
Has anyone used this product with Vista 32 bit system? The site does not say if the product works with Vista.
Yep, that's the system I run on Terry and it works flawlessly.

harleyman
March 3rd, 2009, 15:01
I have been looking this over as well for a while..It did sem like Abacus EZ Scenery which I had a blast with..Still have it too...

I might just have to get this too..

Have no clue how to flatten or exclude , but I can place objects like a mad man....LOL

Cazzie
March 3rd, 2009, 15:09

I have Vista 64-bit, but there is a separate Program File for 32-bit programs (x86) and it went in without a hitch. haven't had any time to really play with it, but I did put a couple objects in FSX and 1 in FS9 and it was easier as making Jello. Harleyman, I really don't know what they mean by flatten and exclude, because all the objects went in both sims and were already flat on the ground, all I had to do was move and rotate them to the location I wanted them. Highly recommended program, better than the old LAGO FS Scenery Enhancer and easier to use. Now I must find my Cd with all the Rte. 12 objects, because this program will use them too.

Caz

falcon409
March 3rd, 2009, 16:34
I have been looking this over as well for a while..It did sem like Abacus EZ Scenery which I had a blast with..Still have it too...I might just have to get this too..
Have no clue how to flatten or exclude , but I can place objects like a mad man....LOL
Harleyman,
SBuilder is excellent for doing flattens. I always dreaded doing new airports because I had no clue how to do a flatten which is almost a necessity to get everything on the same level, but after making a few mistakes, I've learned SBuilder in no time and flattens are now nothing at all.

harleyman
March 3rd, 2009, 19:20
Thanks Falcon.. So it sets it all at a corrected elevation for like runways and such then....

Knowing how to do that you could make your own airport and place it anywhere you wanted ...Great..

And it uses RNY 12 objucts too...Great.......

Thanks for the info ...:applause:

falcon409
March 3rd, 2009, 19:32
Thanks Falcon.. So it sets it all at a corrected elevation for like runways and such then....
Knowing how to do that you could make your own airport and place it anywhere you wanted ...Great..
And it uses RNY 12 objects too...Great.......Thanks for the info
Understand that there is a learning curve for SBuilder, but all I use it for is making flattens. . .I use AFX to do almost everything else related to airport construction. I've put grass and asphalt rwys in a lot of out of the way places in Glacier Bay and had excellent results so far.

Terry
March 4th, 2009, 01:03
Understand that there is a learning curve for SBuilder, but all I use it for is making flattens. . .I use AFX to do almost everything else related to airport construction. I've put grass and asphalt rwys in a lot of out of the way places in Glacier Bay and had excellent results so far.

I flatten with Afcad221 taxiways. I set them to 0' width so they are not visable but they still flatten an area at least 100' wide. Sounds crude but it works great.

Wing_Z
March 4th, 2009, 09:26
I've also used closed taxiways to create flatten areas, but this is fairly limited.
On Falcon's advice I've started using AFX which is not bad at all (Except...how do you resize a background image so it maintains its proportions???)
Is Sbuilder the only way out for more extensive flattens?
Feels like a sledgehammer to crack a nut...
Wasn't there something called Flattex, or similar?

dogknot
March 4th, 2009, 12:51
I've also used closed taxiways to create flatten areas, but this is fairly limited.
On Falcon's advice I've started using AFX which is not bad at all (Except...how do you resize a background image so it maintains its proportions???)
Is Sbuilder the only way out for more extensive flattens?
Feels like a sledgehammer to crack a nut...
Wasn't there something called Flattex, or similar?

flattex101.zip at avsim library.
It does do just fine as a quick and easy flatten utility, albeit the old style that records the rectangular lon/lats for you that you then copy/paste as a flatten line in the scenery.cfg.

The tool I recommend to do flattens is called FSTFlatten by Steve Greenwood. The program is very easy to use and can create flattens in almost any shape using the Area16N format. It also will do LWM format as well.

It's in a small suite of utilities which you can read about and download here: (see link at mid-page -- fstutilities.zip)
http://home.earthlink.net/~smgreenwood/flatten.shtml

OR... direct to the zip here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~smgreenwood/
Just click on the Resources tab at the top right of the page which displays and then select the bottom choice called "Utility to flatten terrain (see Tips for more info)"

Wing_Z
March 4th, 2009, 16:08
Now that's a handy site!
I remember now why I blotted flattex from memory - manually inserting lines in scenery.cfg did not do it for me.
A bgl goes where it belongs - in the scenery folder, along with its appropriate scenery.
FSTFlatten looks the business.
Many thanks for the pointer, Brent.

dogknot
March 4th, 2009, 17:24
Now that's a handy site!
I remember now why I blotted flattex from memory - manually inserting lines in scenery.cfg did not do it for me.
A bgl goes where it belongs - in the scenery folder, along with its appropriate scenery.
FSTFlatten looks the business.
Many thanks for the pointer, Brent.

You're welcome. :wavey: