PDA

View Full Version : I am moving to Vista

hartmaj
February 27th, 2009, 17:15
I admit it, I am a "user". I haven't contibuted a single thing to this wonderful site and have probably downloaded every CFS2 file there is. Forgive me, and please remember, the untalented people need love too.

So, I have finally broken down and purchased one of those honkin' gaming computers with all the right bells and whistles. Darn thing cost more than my first car,and don't anyone dare ask when I bought that!

Unfortunately, like all of the systems one buys now-a-days, it has Vista as the operating system. I have been catching bits and pieces of our fellow SOH members occasionally complaining about the lack of compatability between Vista and our beloved CFS2. What am I in for? Please, please, please, don't tell me I can't play CFS2! I will go to California and blow up the da.. M$ offices if you do. I swear I will!!!

If I am going to have trouble, are there any methods I can use to get around the issues?

Thanks for the help.
:typing:

Shadow Wolf 07
February 27th, 2009, 17:25
Welcom Harmaj: I havent had any probs with Vista Home Premium, but... I've heard that Vista and Multiswap (MPSU) for multiplayer don't get along. Is that true fellas?

Oglivie
February 27th, 2009, 17:47
I'm still using the ole XP here at my end. :typing:

Do not know much about CFS2 and Vista. :kilroy:

rich12545
February 27th, 2009, 17:49
I'm not positive but it's probably possible to buy a copy of xp pro and install it on your new rig.

Devildog73
February 27th, 2009, 19:57
I had Vista on one of my computers for over 18 months. I backed out of it and formatted C and installed XP SP3 on it and never looked back.

Vista has two major problems: 1) It is still a beta, though MS will not tell you that. You are their R&D.
2) It is a major RAM and system HOG! I doubled my FPS by installing XP on the old Vista system.

rhumbaflappy
February 28th, 2009, 05:11
Hi hartmaj.

Most programs install into "Program Files".

With Vista, do not allow programs to be installed in "Program Files"!!!! Chose another location ( " My Program Files " ? ), and most of your access problems will be avoided.

Microsoft screwed up by over-protecting "Program Files", and it has caused no end to problems. Of course they won't admit it, and continue this practice through their service packs.

Dick

Shadow Wolf 07
February 28th, 2009, 05:12
I had Vista on one of my computers for over 18 months. I backed out of it and formatted C and installed XP SP3 on it and never looked back.

Vista has two major problems: 1) It is still a beta, though MS will not tell you that. You are their R&D.
2) It is a major RAM and system HOG! I doubled my FPS by installing XP on the old Vista system.

In doing that, did you lose anything and have to reinstall (like CFS2 and goodies)?

Buddha13
February 28th, 2009, 06:02
Hi,
I have been using Vista Home Premium and Ultimate for the past year with no problems.I suggest though that you right cloick on the desktop icon,Go to compatability mode and set it to XP with SP2.
I currently have 7 installs of CFS2 running on Vista without a hitch.
Finally also got CFS1 to work properly as well.

Buddha13

Shadow Wolf 07
February 28th, 2009, 06:33
Hi,
I have been using Vista Home Premium and Ultimate for the past year with no problems.I suggest though that you right cloick on the desktop icon,Go to compatability mode and set it to XP with SP2.
I currently have 7 installs of CFS2 running on Vista without a hitch.
Finally also got CFS1 to work properly as well.

Buddha13

Can't find "compatability mode." :typing:

Ickie
February 28th, 2009, 06:50
I have used home premium since it came out, and yesterday I went to vista ultimate, 64 (just a note note, 32 uses 1/2 the memory than 64)

get vista ultimate
it fixes all the annoying things found in the home version.

safn1949
March 1st, 2009, 06:22
They are right on one thing,so far I have not been able to get Multiswap (MPSU)to work yet but I just started to play with it.Go here http://www.tweakguides.com/VA_1.html
and here http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html
You will learn how to make Vista run and why it does certain things that XP doesn't.The multiswap issue and the fact that my joystick suddenly won't work in cfs1 are the only problems I have had(I'm assuming driver issue). Take some time to read and change a few things and it will work great.:friday:

right click,properties,compatibility mode,click XP, go to the bottom and click run as administrator.

wolfi
March 1st, 2009, 07:31
I have used home premium since it came out, and yesterday I went to vista ultimate, 64 (just a note note, 32 uses 1/2 the memory than 64)

get vista ultimate
it fixes all the annoying things found in the home version.

I second this, CFS2 runs like hell on my vista 64 system! -at vista 32 also!
but you need RAM, 4GB is a good choice. Vista 32 can use 3.5GB, Vista 64 8GB and more

safn1949
March 1st, 2009, 14:01
I second this, CFS2 runs like hell on my vista 64 system! -at vista 32 also!
but you need RAM, 4GB is a good choice. Vista 32 can use 3.5GB, Vista 64 8GB and more

Yea,they say it will run on 1 gig but that is nonsense,it's the way Vista uses ram that is different and makes it seem like a ram hog,2 gigs for 32 bit is the minimum,I have 3 gigs and can plug in an 8 gig flash drive to use readyboost if I needed it.I am also running a laptop.Wolfi,have you or anyone for that matter managed to run Multiswap (MPSU) with Vista?:friday:

dvslats
March 1st, 2009, 15:01
Well hartmaj, if it is a Honken Gaming computer you should have no problems. My two cents of advice would be...run windows update first ...get SP1 installed. then load CFS2. I'm no computer tech, but this seemed to work better for me. :wave:

Devildog73
March 2nd, 2009, 03:08
Shadow:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Devildog73 http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/soh/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?p=126944#post126944)

In doing that, did you lose anything and have to reinstall (like CFS2 and goodies)?

No, I have mirror images on my PC and Laptop networked with each other. So everything I have on one, I have on the other. BUT, if you do not have a second HD with everything on it, yes, you will lose everything on the HD that you change to XP from Vista.
I just got tired of all of the tweaking and searching for "fixes" to Vista. Yes, as others have said, you can eventually get CFS & CFS2 to run on Vista, but it takes a lot of time, energy and frustration.
No thanks.

Buddha13
March 2nd, 2009, 05:09
Shadow wolf,
Right click on the desktop icon.go to the bottom of the drop down menu.Click on preferences.The box that pops up will have a tab called compatability.Click on it.You will find another drop down menu.Set it to XP with SP2.

Buddha13

Shadow Wolf 07
March 2nd, 2009, 07:12
Shadow wolf,
Right click on the desktop icon.go to the bottom of the drop down menu.Click on preferences.The box that pops up will have a tab called compatability.Click on it.You will find another drop down menu.Set it to XP with SP2.

Buddha13

That's the problem. I don't get a dropdown menu, I get a window and none of the clickable items on the left side list "properties." There's no option to switch to "classic view." I've ordered the upgrade Home Premium to Vista Ultimate. Maybe after i convert, I'll see it then

safn1949
March 2nd, 2009, 08:09
That's the problem. I don't get a dropdown menu, I get a window and none of the clickable items on the left side list "properties." There's no option to switch to "classic view." I've ordered the upgrade Home Premium to Vista Ultimate. Maybe after i convert, I'll see it then
When you right click on the icon at the bottom it should say properties,then click on that to see the rest.If that doesn't work I am well and truly puzzled.