PDA

View Full Version : Help the needy (strange search function)

OleBoy
February 27th, 2009, 16:39
I'm hoping everyone here will help me out. For the life of me I can't figure out the search function. Searching by words or description gets me lost. Searching one by one (name method) gets me no where.

I'm interested in Single & dual prop, older general aviation and WWI/WWII time frames. If everyone would be so kind as to tell me (by name) who has uploaded their work it'd save me a lot of headaches in the archives.

I'm hoping for some good stuff.

OleBoy
February 27th, 2009, 18:36
WTF!!! 23 people look at this and no one can recommend anything? :faint:For that matter, none (if any) of my posts have had response. If this is any sign for future help around this place, I guess there's no reason for me to ask anymore. So I won't. Not a friendly place at all.

Craig Taylor
February 27th, 2009, 19:00
Hi, OleBoy. I've been baffled by this as you have, and I've been hanging around here a few years. In my experience you either use the search and sift through everything it returns, and you'll need to be as specific as you can (i.e. plane model and so forth) because it searches forum threads as well, or you need to know who the author was and go through the addons link, where you can select author or filename (not intuitive, I know) from a pull-down menu. I don't know of a better way here. If someone else has broken the code, please pipe up! :wavey:

Edit: Don't be too hasty about friendliness. This is the best place on the web for flight sim discussion, and you'd be surprised about the number of developers who hang around. If you have specific questions about a particular plane, chances are the author will be the one to answer you. Sometimes it just takes a little patience.

harleyman
February 27th, 2009, 19:02
Well I would not say not a friendly place...many people look, have no answer, and move on....

I too have a hard time with searches...but lets see If I can help some.....BRB

delta_lima
February 27th, 2009, 19:04
Hi!

First, this IS a friendly community. Most of the best devs (freeware and commercial) post here, so I believe in time, you'll come to see things differently. Second, I'll suggest my personal expectation around requests: if someone answers in under 24 hours, that's reasonable. Expecting an answer within two hours of a post may - just may - be a bit steep.... :focus:

There are others who are more deeply immersed in the time period you're after than I - I'm more of a 50's era guy. That said, I'd recommend some of the following:

Gloster Gladiator by Thicko - and get the paints by Morton.
Beech 18 - by Milton Shupe and gang
Piglet has a whole pile of funky planes - Kingfishers, Flying Wings, too many to remember.
Hawker Fury FBII - get the latest update from flightsim/avsim, and the great repaints from Robert Saulnier
Spartan Executive - also from Milton Shupe and co, with a ton of repaints by John Terrel (Bomber_12) here and on flightsim.
Warwick Carter's DH Tiger Moth
I'm just scratching the surface - the 30 years of aviation period you're after has had tons of releases on it, both civilian and military - so you may want to give some more ideas of what you are after. I find the main core packages are usually found on flightsim and avsim, whereas what you'll find here is more of the specialty, high-quality repaints and mods that don't always find their way to those sites. For example, every plane I've listed can be downloaded from those two main sites, and you'll have tons to explore. If you find you're really digging into a particular plane - do a search for threads here - and that often links you to repaints that are being worked on or have been released.

I'm the first to acknowledge that the search function is not always the easiest to use here, but in the 4 plus years I've been a member, I've never had a considerate question unanswered, I've learned tons, I've been humbled by the generosity of strangers willing to do me the kindest of favours and requests - and made some great friends through it all. Notwithstanding that I'm a "half-full glass" kind of guy, I'd say my experience reflects that of the majority here, and given the price of admission, a great treasure trove.

Just my view - good luck, and welcome. :ernae:

dl

harleyman
February 27th, 2009, 19:08
Click Addons...Select List all types...Select FS9

There are like 3-4 oldies right on the first page...After that turn the page.....

Yea..You might spend an hour there....But its time well spent....

Drzook
February 27th, 2009, 19:15
Look up all addons by 'Lilski'. You won't be disappointed.
As mentioned Thicko did a bunch of WWII planes for CFS2 that do just fine in our Esteemed Sim.
I especially like Harleyman's approach however; just going down the list under FS2004 aircraft add-ons. :ernae:

TARPSBird
February 27th, 2009, 19:22
OleBoy, take it easy, you only posted two hours ago! We all have other stuff going on besides browsing the Outhouse.
If you want to see what's been recently uploaded, just click LATEST FS UPLOADS or LATEST CFS UPLOADS at the top of the forum page. You can also scroll down to the bottom of the page and search by zip name or author's forum name. And below that, there is a "Google Search" option where you can put in an aircraft name or any other keyword and you'll get everything here at SOH that includes your search object both forum threads and also add-ons with the same name. This is probably what you want to use. You do need to get more specific than the broad categories you mentioned in your second post. For example, better to use "Nieuport" or "Spad" rather than "WWI aircraft".
If you click on ADD-ONS at the top of the page you will see the various categories of add-ons: CFS3 aircraft, skins, CFS2, aircraft, skins, etc.
Also on this page you have the "Google Search" option.
I hope this helps you a bit. Please don't write off Sim-Outhouse as being an unfriendly place just because you don't get immediate responses to your posts. We're happy to help you but sometimes we need more specific info. Tell us what WWI planes you're interested in and I'm pretty sure somebody will reply with recommendations.

hawkeye52
February 27th, 2009, 19:27
Hey, OleBoy...if it's any comfort, I have about a 50% success rate searching SOH. And the successes are simply because I stumble upon the item. SOH is the ONLY site where I have to ask "how" to search it. Some kind soul always gives me guidance, but come the next time I again have to ask. Apparently the "powers-that-be" know "the code", hence have no incentive to change, so us ignoramuses will simply have to keep asking!

Btw, I ALWAYS get help! *smile*
- H52

mrogers
February 27th, 2009, 22:04
Oleboy,
This is actually a friendly place to visit! I'm afraid you're jumping to a conclusion too quickly. I mean you've only posted just recently, people do want to help, even if you have to ask, just keep asking!! But if they don't know an answer to a question they either move on or go out of their way to search around which could take time before they can get around to posting an answer, or perhaps being a bit more specific or informative would help us to help you.
Have some more patience...

Tom Clayton
February 27th, 2009, 22:15
It's been said before that our library doesn't have the greatest of search functions. The code for this site is probably geared more towards discussion than file storage. The easiest way I've found to locate a particular plane is to first find out who made it, then search through that author's files. I use the text search function in my browser (F3 or Ctrl+F in IE7) to see if what I'm looking for is on a page, and if not I try the next page.

You can also check www.avsim.com (http://www.avsim.com) and www.flightsim.com (http://www.flightsim.com) as most of our authors also upload to one or both of those sites.

wombat666
February 27th, 2009, 22:24
I second Tom's remarks.
And don't be shy of posting a specific request.
I've found the 'search by author's name' function useful.
:kilroy:

fleurdelys
February 28th, 2009, 03:10
Hi!

I'm the first to acknowledge that the search function is not always the easiest to use here, but in the 4 plus years I've been a member, I've never had a considerate question unanswered, I've learned tons, I've been humbled by the generosity of strangers willing to do me the kindest of favours and requests - and made some great friends through it all. Notwithstanding that I'm a "half-full glass" kind of guy, I'd say my experience reflects that of the majority here, and given the price of admission, a great treasure trove.

Just my view - good luck, and welcome. :ernae:

dl

I concur with Delta_Lima's views wholeheartedly having had the pleasure to experience such generosity first hand on more than one occasion.
:amen:

Getting back to the search function, consider this as a journey through Ali Baba's treasure cavern where the magic word will surely get you results in time :wiggle:
The quickest way I found is by going through the forum where you usually get more than one answer on a specific topic while the long journey through the search by author is by far the longest but also full of pleasant surprises...:jump:
When going through the author list, try the names that you frequently see posting in the forum first. They are the heart and lungs of this community. They generally are developpers or repainters and manage to find the time to answer questions.
You'll be amazed at the number of files some of these fellows can produce and on so many different subjects.
Keep a pad handy as you will certainly stumble on info which you will want to remember eventually, whether it is to search for that special plane that you heard about or skins that you didn't know had been done for your favorite kite.:kilroy:

Wonder when do they :sleep:

Fleurdelys

OleBoy
February 28th, 2009, 07:13
I've GOT to apologize everyone. My being laid off and the way things are going economically has me so strung out. Prior to making this post I was trying to take my mind off things as another 120 people lost their jobs locally. Having tried the search I was beyond frustrated. You're right. The search function on this site is whacked. I'm going to have to sift through it I guess.

My deepest apology everyone

Underdog
February 28th, 2009, 08:03
Times are tough these days. I am still lucky to have my job, well :focus:
Try looking at Alpha Oldies here at SOH. I do recommed looking at Flightsim and Simv ,search under Ito. Look at the CFS2 "area" here at SOH. Most work in FS2004 with proper panel and sound, plus a little "Tweeking"of the config. file.

harleyman
February 28th, 2009, 08:26
I've GOT to apologize everyone. My being laid off and the way things are going economically has me so strung out. Prior to making this post I was trying to take my mind off things as another 120 people lost their jobs locally. Having tried the search I was beyond frustrated. You're right. The search function on this site is whacked. I'm going to have to sift through it I guess.

My deepest apology everyone

Not necessary...We all understand....Times are tough ....

Here's to you getting employment soon :ernae:

We don't hold resentments, rather perfer to get things right and going well for you......