PDA

View Full Version : scenery help

navy81
June 10th, 2020, 11:28
Well, for five days now, i have been trying to make a scenery object out of an mdl object - specifically an S2F Tracker with folded wings and Gary's USS Bon Homme Richard modified to USS Intrepid to go in scenery of Quonset Point, RI. I have been completely unsuccessful to date. I have used MCX in trying to export both to a bgl file - which they do, but upon adding into ADE with the Library object manager- the bgl files go in and stay, and they can be placed, but they never show up. I have tried useing Library creator XML as well, but in my very amateur developer world - I am surely just kidding myself.

If anyone has the ability to do that, please let me know - I will PM you with the mdl files.

I did try going the route of SAMM and using an FS8/9 version of the STOOF - but that really impact the frames. And taking that and modifying it to minimize drawcalls and polys then just turns it into an FSX mdl file, which one cannot use (so SAMM tells me) since it is not an FS8/FS9 mdl file.

Cheers.
Deke

expat
June 11th, 2020, 00:38
Hey Deke,

Sure wish I knew the answer as I am following with great interest what you are trying to do here. I imagine Gary or Klaus would be experts on this.

As a big user of carrier ops from this period, I think baking in some different parked model arrangments from different periods (I prefer not to be stuck with just training aircraft) - ideally with models derived from flyable aircraft like the Razbam A-4C to benefit from the changeable paints available - is the best way to go. The other way using separate models - e.g., like the ones you did the repaints for on Wombraider's Forrestal and Kitty Hawk class carriers have the drawback that if you use them in CarrierTracks the deck park trails behind the boat when underway.

The current model arrangment Gary released with his WIP Bonnie Dick and sister ships where you have a few aircraft of different makes around the island to me is ideal as you can do both traps and cat launches and also fool around looking for different paints try on the static aircraft.

Best of luck on your good efforts!

expat

Dimus
June 11th, 2020, 02:26
Is the bgl you have created placed inside the "scenery" folder of an active scenery and the related textures inside the "texture" folder?

navy81
June 11th, 2020, 05:51
Is the bgl you have created placed inside the "scenery" folder of an active scenery and the related textures inside the "texture" folder?

Expat, thanks and I agree with you. I had a conversation with CIMOGT awhile back, and he gave me permission to use his models from his ships - as he considered them (not the ships) as freeware. I do agree though with using flyable aircraft as statics, much as i am doing with the Trainers (T-2's and TA-4's with Lexington) and resurrected NAS Chase Field in Beeville, TX. I spent my first year of high school at NAS Quonset Point, where my father was the Commanding Officer (1972-73) - so i am resurrecting that - but not to any level like Richard (TGYCGIJoe) did with Alameda or Ed (Falcon 409) does with just about everything - it just looks better than what the stock FSX had - hence adding the stoofs and Intrepid or Wasp as statics.

For Dimus - thank you for your genius! I had them in a folder, but never 'activated' it in FSX. Now all is good.

Many thanks for the help!

Deke

Dimus
June 11th, 2020, 07:15
For Dimus - thank you for your genius! I had them in a folder, but never 'activated' it in FSX. Now all is good.

Many thanks for the help!

Deke

Great news! It is in no way genius, it is just the fact that I have done this myself and learned the hard way...:biggrin-new:

expat
June 11th, 2020, 08:36
Great to hear you are back on track!