PDA

View Full Version : System specs

whitehawk_2009
February 26th, 2009, 11:55
I'm looking at getting a new computer and am wondering what you guys think of these specs.

Intel Celeron Dual Core E1400 2.00GHz
4GB DDR2 667 memory
320GB SATA II HDD at 7200RPM
Intergrated NVIDIA GeForce 7050 with 895MB Shared Memory.

Do you think I could run FS9 with all sliders maxed and still get decent FR's with this setup?
Thanks

WH

Buddha13
February 26th, 2009, 13:14
Hi,
I doubt that you would get much past a crawl with that set up.The processor is a poor relation to the main ones being a Celeron being hamstrung with limited amounts of L2 cache.Intergrated graphics are always second best to a dedicated graphics card.I would also look for 800mhz memory atleast.
You donot say how much you have to spend.I am sure that people here would tell what would be better for your needs for the amount you have.

Buddha13

harleyman
February 26th, 2009, 13:32
So true Buddha13....

Give us your price range and lets see what we can come up with for you WhiteHawk...

Willy
February 26th, 2009, 13:36
I'm a bit concerned with that CPU only being a 2ghz. That's what my 6 year old Athlon is and I have to go easy on the sliders. FS9 doesn't do multiple processors.

TomSteber
February 26th, 2009, 13:47
I'll have to put my scratch & dent Dell Auction Site plug in here. They have some really nice stuff but you do have to really stay on it and wait for the right one.

I got a nice redone computer with:
Core 2 Duo 2.33
3gigs Ram
Nvidea 256mg
500gig HD
XP

No monitor though.
All for $500

Runs FS9 with sliders maxed, no problem.
I have FPM set at 25 and it rarely drops below 23 over the biggest cities.
Running UT and GEP.

whitehawk_2009
February 26th, 2009, 14:08
Well truth be told, I don't have a price range. The spec's above were from a referb that I was going to try to scrimp and save for.

Maybe I should try a different tactic, what should I be looking for?

WH

Desert Rat
February 26th, 2009, 14:28
I would say if it's for FS9, forget the dual core, go old school single will save you mucho bucks to boot. Try for a P4 3.x Ghz with as much RAM as you can get, XP over Vista should help fps too. My biggy is HD space, Sitting at over 1TB and still I fret, lol.

You don't show your current specs, and hence room for improvement. Also if you intend to use other software/games which may take advantage of more than one core.

I have a P4 3.2GHz, 2GB RAM DDR2, 512MB ATI something or other GPU card, plenty of HD space, and FS9 works fine, mostly, even FSX runs okay at 20fps with middle of the road sliders. My other games of choice are fine (CFS2, Silent Hunter III, Hidden & Dangerous I & II, etc (older games, but IMHO excellent))

If you have to scrimp for a reconditioned dual core celeron, don't, save money and buy an older single core P4.
Jamie

whitehawk_2009
February 26th, 2009, 15:23
Well right now, I'm on an IBM T43 laptop

1.86GHz, 1GB of RAM and an ATI Mobility Radeon X300 with 64MB

Wow, I'm surprised I run FS9 at all...

WH

Willy
February 26th, 2009, 15:43
We've got similar systems..

I'm running a desktop with a AMD Athlon 2000XP, 1g RAM, a FX5200 vid card with 128mg and a 250g HD. I keep FS9 locked at 25fps and run most of my setting at about the halfway mark getting a usual 18fps with spikes to 25 and dips down to 10 in real busy areas. But it's been rock solid this past 6 years.

harleyman
February 26th, 2009, 15:46
We've got similar systems..

I'm running a desktop with a AMD Athlon 2000XP, 1g RAM, a FX5200 vid card with 128mg and a 250g HD. I keep FS9 locked at 25fps and run most of my setting at about the halfway mark getting a usual 18fps with spikes to 25 and dips down to 10 in real busy areas. But it's been rock solid this past 6 years.

Six years??? Time for a fund raiser.....LOL

Thats actually great performance from that box Willy :applause:

MaddogK
February 27th, 2009, 04:56
I would say if it's for FS9, forget the dual core, go old school single will save you mucho bucks to boot. Try for a P4 3.x Ghz with as much RAM as you can get, XP over Vista should help fps too. My biggy is HD space, Sitting at over 1TB and still I fret, lol.

You don't show your current specs, and hence room for improvement. Also if you intend to use other software/games which may take advantage of more than one core.

I have a P4 3.2GHz, 2GB RAM DDR2, 512MB ATI something or other GPU card, plenty of HD space, and FS9 works fine, mostly, even FSX runs okay at 20fps with middle of the road sliders. My other games of choice are fine (CFS2, Silent Hunter III, Hidden & Dangerous I & II, etc (older games, but IMHO excellent))

If you have to scrimp for a reconditioned dual core celeron, don't, save money and buy an older single core P4.
Jamie

Yes, I agree, K.I.S.S., a single core P4 is a more stable platform than all the clock doulbling, cache stripped, processor stacking that goes on with these core X celerons mounted on these do-everything motherboards.

I had a very stable Athlon 1.8 ghz, 1 gig dual channel DDR, ATI 9800 video (card), SBLive 5.1(card), 40 gig HD, USR Sportster external on XP SP2 for last years RTW race. Never hiccupped once, smooth as glass frame rates tho 'cartoonish' graphics are acceptable to me. I built the whole mess from 'used' ebay purchases and 'salvage' from a used computer dealer and garage sales.

This year I bought new- P4 3.8 ghz CPU/MB combo, 2 1 gig DDR2 boards in dual channel mode, and a new 80 gig HD which still set me back 500 bucks but was lucky that all my boards from my Athlon system drop right into the new mobo. To date this compy hasn't locked up, failed to boot, or crashed in any way (still running XP SP2/DX9C) in 9 months.

We've had alot of 'issues' with these Dell celeron all-in-one boards at work, and I've been replacing them Intel 'basic' P4 mobo's with add in cards to keep our network running and have proven to be extremely stable and excellent performers, and cheaper to buy.

So Whitehawk ,IMHO a 'simple' basic P4 is what you want as a base computer, then add in cards to tailor your computer to fit your needs.