PDA

View Full Version : Sea Fury

SkippyBing
April 15th, 2020, 10:51
Hi All,

If you're struggling with cabin fever and don't already have it I've uploaded the old Flying Stations Sea Fury model on my blog (https://bravozulu.blog/2020/04/15/sea-fury/).

Skippy

SpaceWeevil
April 15th, 2020, 11:02
That's a lovely gesture, thank you :)

hairyspin
April 15th, 2020, 11:08
A very pleasant surprise since I've only just logged on this evening! Very decent of you, old chap! :jump: Norton made rude noises about it, I told it to pull itself together and stop gibbering. :a1089:

Cees Donker
April 15th, 2020, 11:08
And a real challenge to fly! Thanks for this nice gesture!

Cees

PeteHam
April 15th, 2020, 11:32
Many thanks :applause: :applause:

Pete.

henrystreet
April 15th, 2020, 11:33
Huge thanks, Skippy!!

PhantomP
April 15th, 2020, 11:53
Thanks Skippy stay healthy.:very_drunk:

Josh Patterson
April 15th, 2020, 12:06
Hi All,

If you're struggling with cabin fever and don't already have it I've uploaded the old Flying Stations Sea Fury model on my blog (https://bravozulu.blog/2020/04/15/sea-fury/).

SkippyI was sad to see Flying Stations go. Fortunately you gave us a warning and I was able to get all the Canberra models and textures I was procrastinating on! I have the whole catalog (thanks for both S1 and S2 versions of the Buc) except it looks like there's a Firefly now. Is it under a new name?

The sea Fury is very nice and if the sound doesn't do enough for anyone there's a killer Bristol Centaurus sound pack out there. (I just can't remember if it was freeware or payware. Either way, worth it!)

huub vink
April 15th, 2020, 12:12
Thanks for this generous offer. I already had the model for many years, but can really recommend it for those who haven't!

Cheers,
Huub

srgalahad
April 15th, 2020, 12:15
That'll be a nice relief from what seems to be 'eternal snow'. Thanks!

Priller
April 15th, 2020, 12:20
Thanks for this generous offer. I already had the model for many years, but can really recommend it for those who haven't!

Cheers,
Huub

Me too. And Huub won't like to hear or read this: but this is a propeller aircraft that flies like a jet!! ;)

Priller

Penzoil3
April 15th, 2020, 12:40
Thanks, I missed the Sea Fury in P3D 4.

Sue

Priller
April 15th, 2020, 13:19
The bristol centaurus pack can be found on Simviation.com

https://simviation.com/1/search?submit=1&keywords=Bristol+Centaurus&x=0&y=0

Priller

mercure
April 15th, 2020, 13:35
On our way to Reno...

Many thanks ;o)

AussieMan
April 15th, 2020, 15:41
​A fine gesture. I had lost my original download that I had purchased. Many thanks Skippy.

delta_lima
April 15th, 2020, 15:42
Thanks Skippy!

Much appreciate this gem. I bought this the day it came out, and have no regrets, except that I thought I was saying goodbye to an old friend for good when I migrated from FSX. This is a real treat.

Is there any plans to bring over the Bucc to V4? That's another old friend at whose grave I weep on occasion ... :wink: I'd rebuy that one, if it was needed to get it in P3dV4.

In any event, thanks for the gift!

dl

PeteHam
April 15th, 2020, 18:07
This wee beastie is an absolute delight to fly :jump: :jump:

Again, many thanks for this gift :applause: :applause:

Pete.

MustangL2W
April 15th, 2020, 18:36
Thank You! Nice having this now in P3Dv4.

HarleyDude
April 15th, 2020, 19:28
Thank You for the Sea Fury. Mercure, I'll see you in Reno for the Unlimited Quals...... HD:running:

harrybasset
April 16th, 2020, 00:51
Thanks for this Skippy. My original purchase is lurking somewhere in my files but it doesn't hurt to have insurance. Thanks again and Stay Safe.

paul day
April 16th, 2020, 02:20
Love the Sea Fury but I don't seem to have any lights, internal or external, in FSX Acceleration. Am I the only one?

Regards Paul Day.

glh
April 16th, 2020, 09:30
Thank You, Sir. :very_drunk:

SkippyBing
April 16th, 2020, 11:42
Thanks Skippy!

Much appreciate this gem. I bought this the day it came out, and have no regrets, except that I thought I was saying goodbye to an old friend for good when I migrated from FSX. This is a real treat.

Is there any plans to bring over the Bucc to V4? That's another old friend at whose grave I weep on occasion ... :wink: I'd rebuy that one, if it was needed to get it in P3dV4.

In any event, thanks for the gift!

dl

I haven't got immediate plans to bring the Bucc to v4 but it depends how long the lock down lasts!

SkippyBing
April 16th, 2020, 11:43
Love the Sea Fury but I don't seem to have any lights, internal or external, in FSX Acceleration. Am I the only one?

Regards Paul Day.

Paul, there should be, if neither of them are working the battery and generator may be off?

SkippyBing
April 16th, 2020, 11:45
I was sad to see Flying Stations go. Fortunately you gave us a warning and I was able to get all the Canberra models and textures I was procrastinating on! I have the whole catalog (thanks for both S1 and S2 versions of the Buc) except it looks like there's a Firefly now. Is it under a new name?

Hi Josh, the Firefly is under the Bravo Zulu name now, so available via the blog.

MZee1960
April 16th, 2020, 12:29
I like to manually install all addons in FSX, that way I know where everything goes. Hoping a manual install will work here as well.
Or, does it come with an uninstaller as well, just in case I run into a problem with the first install etc. and need to try again ?

Thank-you, for this beauty, @Skippy. Looking forward to adding her to my virtual hangar.

Stay safe.
MZ ........

delta_lima
April 16th, 2020, 12:40
I like to manually install all addons in FSX, that way I know where everything goes. Hoping a manual install will work here as well.
Or, does it come with an uninstaller as well, just in case I run into a problem with the first install etc. and need to try again ?

Thank-you, for this beauty, @Skippy. Looking forward to adding her to my virtual hangar.

Stay safe.
MZ ........

That was the nature of my question, and barring very few exceptions, like you, I never point the installer to the core install, or even my addon folder, and just give'er. I usually point it to a temp folder on my desktop, and look at the contents of the resulting folders created, and see if there'll be potential overwrite issues, etc.

In this case, I'd suggest

Run the installer, and point to a temp folder on your desktop.
Drag the effects into your effects folder
All simobjects subfolders (EXCEPT Sea_Fury) are stores related - drag those into your "misc" subfolder in simobjects
Sea_Fury goes into the your aircraft subfolder in simobjects

That should do it.

delta_lima
April 16th, 2020, 12:44
Thanks for answering the question regarding the folders. All looks good now.

I haven't got immediate plans to bring the Bucc to v4 but it depends how long the lock down lasts!

Now that would be the definition of "silver lining" :biggrin-new:

Stay safe.

dl

MZee1960
April 16th, 2020, 14:25
That was the nature of my question, and barring very few exceptions, like you, I never point the installer to the core install, or even my addon folder, and just give'er. I usually point it to a temp folder on my desktop, and look at the contents of the resulting folders created, and see if there'll be potential overwrite issues, etc.

In this case, I'd suggest

Run the installer, and point to a temp folder on your desktop.
Drag the effects into your effects folder
All simobjects subfolders (EXCEPT Sea_Fury) are stores related - drag those into your "misc" subfolder in simobjects
Sea_Fury goes into the your aircraft subfolder in simobjects

That should do it.

Thank-you.

I always wondered what the "misc" subfolder in simobjects was used for.

jamminjames
April 16th, 2020, 14:47
Thanks Skippy!!!!!

MZee1960
April 16th, 2020, 18:41
Here's what I came across in another thread :

"Without Acceleration you won't have the supercharger, hence the engine won't produce full power. If you have a look round our forums one of the support threads for the Sea Fury has an alternative aircraft.cfg which substitutes a turbo charger to make it compatible with non-Acceleration FSX."

Anyone know where to find this info, please ?

Thank-You,
MZ .....

ref : http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/77713-Re-discovering-Flying-Stations-s-Sea-Fury?p=800453&viewfull=1#post800453

Dev One
April 17th, 2020, 01:23

"Without Acceleration you won't have the supercharger, hence the engine won't produce full power. If you have a look round our forums one of the support threads for the Sea Fury has an alternative aircraft.cfg which substitutes a turbo charger to make it compatible with non-Acceleration FSX."

Thank-You,
MZ .....

ref : http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/77713-Re-discovering-Flying-Stations-s-Sea-Fury?p=800453&viewfull=1#post800453

Yes I can confirm that for FSX SP2 you need to look in the aircraft.cfg [piston_engine] section, about halfway down there is a heading 'turbocharged=0' change the zero to '1' (without the commas). You should then get more HP & boost pressure, but not the full amount. I have not investigated further yet, too many other things on the boil!
Keith

MrZippy
April 17th, 2020, 04:59

Thank-You,
MZ .....

Now I understand why I couldn't get it up! :dizzy:

Lawman
April 17th, 2020, 06:42

You may want to rephrase that:biggrin-new:.

Dev One
April 17th, 2020, 13:21

I believe some Centaurii used water/methanol to help get it up, especially when hot & high.......:devilish:
Keith

MZee1960
April 17th, 2020, 13:33
Yes I can confirm that for FSX SP2 you need to look in the aircraft.cfg [piston_engine] section, about halfway down there is a heading 'turbocharged=0' change the zero to '1' (without the commas). You should then get more HP & boost pressure, but not the full amount. I have not investigated further yet, too many other things on the boil!
Keith

They made it sound like it was an entire config file section which needed re-writing ? ...... I'll try this easy fix.

Piston engine power scalar and propeller thrust scalar (in aircraft config), if increased, will often boost performance.

Thank-you.

Priller
April 17th, 2020, 14:06
You may want to rephrase that:biggrin-new:.

LOLOLOLOLOL!! Quite!

As for the sounds, I posted a link to the Bristol Centaurus sounds in page one. They're brilliant!

Priller

MrZippy
April 17th, 2020, 14:08
They made it sound like it was an entire config file section which needed re-writing ? ...... I'll try this easy fix.

Piston engine power scalar and propeller thrust scalar (in aircraft config), if increased, will often boost performance.

Thank-you.

Already tried it! No difference! I yelled at it, cajoled it, throttled it, and still couldn't get it up!:banghead:

MZee1960
April 17th, 2020, 14:21
Already tried it! No difference! I yelled at it, cajoled it, throttled it, and still couldn't get it up!:banghead:

:confused:

MrZippy
April 17th, 2020, 14:59
:confused:

No more power even with supercharger=0 in the aicraft .cfg! Bird no fly! :pop4:

Motormouse
April 17th, 2020, 15:32

Er, you need to make that supercharger=1, not 0.

Ttfn

Pete

MZee1960
April 17th, 2020, 15:36

............ and try it with Piston engine power scalar and propeller thrust scalar (in aircraft config), increased from 1.0 to 1.4.

wombat666
April 17th, 2020, 19:18

You'll go blind!

Dev One
April 18th, 2020, 07:08
Now be careful, I said in [piston_engine] change 'turbocharged=0' to '1'. There is a heading at the bottom 'supercharged=1', but only FSX+Acc will read that, so leave it as '1'.
Now to get the HP near its 2480 value & the boost gauge to indicate about 9.5 psi, increase the max_design_mp=from 46.5 to 62 & max_rpm_friction_scalar=1.0 to 1.2
I've also found it impossible to overshoot as the torque is so great at low speed there is not enough aileron power ( as noted in the Pilots Notes) to keep it airborne, so I have reduced the 'torque on roll' in [flight_tuning] from 7.5 down to 2.0. There is still enough twist to make one work hard.
Good luck
Keith

MrZippy
April 18th, 2020, 08:00
You'll go blind!

I do believe that has already happened a long time ago! :biggrin-new:

@DevOne:

I took your advice and applied it liberally to the appropriate places and, by golly, she's UP!:encouragement: Now let's see how many more times I can accomplish that feat!:applause:

Now maybe if I can just learn to read :dizzy:

c87
April 21st, 2020, 17:57
Thank you very much!

UnknownGuest12
April 22nd, 2020, 01:35
Thanks a lot, Sir. Great plane! Stay Safe...