PDA

View Full Version : Silver Wings Questions ?

Crusader
February 24th, 2009, 12:02
I love GW3 and I presently have FS9 loaded with Tom Gibson's "Cal Classic's" but my goal is to put Cal Classic's into its own 50-60's enviornment instead of DC 4's , 3's , 6's etc stting at modern airport gates as I presently have it set up . Someone suggested I load Silver Wings into a fresh FS9 install and add Cal Classics to it . Correct me if I'm wrong but can I rename my present FS2004/fs9.cfg to whatever(fs9cfgbak or ?)then install a fresh FS9 and load Silver Wings into it ? Do I then change the new FS9 install (fs9.cfg) to silverwings.cfg and the fs9.exe to silverwings.exe . Do I then rename my original install(My first install that I want to keep) back to fs9.cfg . Well enough of this:bs: I'm starting to confuse myself now . I just don't want to screw up my registry entries with my original setup already in there .

Any suggestions would be quite helpfull . Another suggestion was to leave out Ultimate Terrain because all the added roads might screw things up as Silver Wings relies on condencing alot of the autogen to make low/slow flying more appealing . Hard drive space not a problem and I plan on maxing out all the sliders .

Rich:ernae:(This is what happens when your retired and it's too dam cold to go outside)

Desert Rat
February 24th, 2009, 12:17
Got three installs myself. FS9, GW3 and SW. Wouldn't be without them, having the right era of AI really helps to keep things more immersive.

As for installing it, the instructions are pretty helpful IIRC. I might suggest that you rename your current FS9 folder, reinstall a fresh copy, use this to create new fresh installs for SW and a fresh FS9 for modern stuff. Grab the stuff from your old (renamed) folder and transplant it into whichever of your new versions it fits best in. My installs are GW3 (pre 1945), SW (cold war, '46 to mid '70s) and FS9 (mid 70's to present). I've thought of splitting it further, but then thought again, lol.

One consideration is if you have TrackIR, the new language.dll files from SW and GW3 means that it won't work. You have to copy and paste the original back in, which has side-effects for your Sim files folders. If anyone knows a work-a-round for this, I'd love to know it. At the momment I just put any saved flights into a sub folder within each sims 'flights' folder rather than them all sharing the same one in 'my documents' Does that make ANY sense at all? LOL.

Crusader
February 24th, 2009, 12:18
One addtional question , can mesh(EX;FSG) be added without messing things up ?

Rich

Desert Rat
February 24th, 2009, 12:21
dunno, I would imagine yes, as any mesh I've added has been fine so far, but I ain't added much. I would, imagine if it works okay in 9 or GW3 it should be okay. IIRC SW is just 9 with new textures mainly. Maybe check the instructions for more info.

Jamie

Crusader
February 24th, 2009, 12:26
dunno, I would imagine yes, as any mesh I've added has been fine so far, but I ain't added much. I would, imagine if it works okay in 9 or GW3 it should be okay. IIRC SW is just 9 with new textures mainly. Maybe check the instructions for more info.

Jamie

Thanks Jamie ,
I might have a sip or two of bourbon later on this evening and give this a try .

Rich

Motormouse
February 24th, 2009, 12:36
Don't know if you'll find this useful or not, but I keep all add-on scenery outside the main fs folder
in a separate set of folders/sub-folders,that way i only have to have one set,but they can be accessed by
all versions via the scenery path set in the scenery.cfg

ttfn

Pete

Desert Rat
February 24th, 2009, 12:49
I also do the same, I have a 'common' folder for everything from scenery to sounds, panels, etc. Saves a bit of disk space but adds time and effort to each install. Worth it in my opinion if you know how and can be bothered. It can be taken even further but is a cautionary tale for advanced users only, I have one effects, gauges, sound folder for all 3 installs.

Brfore anyone asks, google Junction Link Magic, read the docs THOROUGHLY and proceed at your own risk!! I haven't investigated the possibility of sharing other folders aswell, as most are small in size anyway. The 3 I mentioned are larger and constantly get added to by new stuff.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED, LOL,
Jamie

Desert Rat
February 24th, 2009, 12:50
Oh, and the texture folder is bigger, but they differ between versions, so don't mess, lol.

dhasdell
February 24th, 2009, 23:36
I'm another with an addon scenery folder in the main Microsoft Games folder where different installs can share files, and FS Terrain is happy with both FS9 and Golden Wings, though as it has only one setup program both have to use the same settings. Not a problem, though.