PDA

View Full Version : Structural Icing

dogknot
February 24th, 2009, 11:30
Grab this gauge!

Available at flightsim.com, filename: icev10.zip

It's a 2 part gauge created by Charles (Dutch) Owen.
One, a rectangular light on the panel that warns of icing conditions. The other is an invisible xml gauge that utilizes the icing functions within FS, multiplies the effects to a "more real" circumstance, resulting in some more serious implications of real world icing...and flying.

For sure read the included readme and the icing.txt. Very interesting and innovative.

This should make FS flying a bit more "real" for those seeking the experience.

Bradburger
February 24th, 2009, 11:52
Thanks for the HU Dogknot.

I'll give it a try!

Cheers

Paul

adhockey
February 24th, 2009, 19:12
I recall setting up "severe icing" weather situations in FS9, and it took forever for my C172's performance to erode to the point where flight became impossible. I would describe the experience as "a very gradually increasing loss of lift." Very disappointing; for most aircraft on most flights, icing in FS is practically a non-factor.

You've got my hopes up with this one. Thanks for the HU.

Astoroth
February 24th, 2009, 22:52
It works pretty good, now if I could just find a set of indicator lights to tell me when I have my prop heat, carb heat, and structural de-icing on.....

dogknot
February 25th, 2009, 08:22
Worked fairly well for me, too. I took the Aviat Husky up in designed weather (per the readme) to test it out. Probably 10 or 15 minutes and I had the initial ice warning (blue), then to "yellow" and finally "red". Total time around 30 to 40 minutes. The Husky wouldn't fly (lost its airspeed), had her pitched nose-high to try to maintain altitude, and then it kept trying to wing over. Not perfect, but not bad for a sim replication.

Test 2: went to "yellow" warning and got the heck out of there. Aircraft gradually recovered as the ice melted away.

Since we don't have visual ice to see building up on the wings/fuselage, the small warning gauge is a nice replacement as "pseudo-sight".

Astoroth, there are plenty of indicator lights available even though it may take some creative tweaking. The cpt.toggles.lights are freely available and one could "borrow" from Milton's Dash7 cab (ST_Dash.CAB) or the Beech_Baron.cab. Plus many payware aircraft gauges such as Alpha's Caribou (ALPHA_Caribou.cab). Plenty of options out there. Just need to find the ones you like.

adhockey
February 25th, 2009, 23:34
Thanks for the pirep.