PDA

View Full Version : Collings foundation B-17...terrible breaking news...

Rami
October 2nd, 2019, 06:43
Hey guys,

I don't know much in the way of circumstances other than the fact that it was trying to land and crashed into a shed...multiple injuries reported, and described as a "fiery crash." I hope no one was killed. :dread:

https://www.wcvb.com/article/reports-emergency-crews-respond-after-vintage-plane-crashes-at-connecticut-airport/29338521

Moses03
October 2nd, 2019, 08:01
Rgr that Rami. I hope most got out in time!

Found this photo of the crash area.

http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/download/file.php?id=2188&t=1

StormILM
October 2nd, 2019, 09:20
Apparently the crew declared an emergency shortly after takeoff and requested an immediate return to the field. It was observed that the aircraft failed to gain altitude but no other issues (visible) with the aircraft where noted. During the landing attempt, there was either a runway excursion post landing or runway heading excursion prior to landing and loss of directional control. The aircraft struck a building and liquid storage tanks in the de-icing area just southwest of the airline terminal building. There were 13 on board including the crew. So far, two confirmed fatalities, possibly more. One technician on the ground in or near the de-icing area was reportedly injured. Further reports regarding injuries and fatalities will be withheld until family members of those involved are properly notified.

It is a sad day for all involved. May those lost Rest in Peace....

Victory103
October 2nd, 2019, 10:16
This is sad, was just behind these guys (and the -24) earlier this year while they were on tour in CA, tried to slow to let them in 1st into KACV.

Brian_Gladden
October 2nd, 2019, 13:06
Dang. I've been through that 17 multiple times.

Mick
October 3rd, 2019, 05:07
Latest word is seven dead. By now that's probably a final number.

Looking at the photo Moses03 posted, it's a miracle that anyone survived.

KBDL is just a quick run down I-91 from here so local news is all over it.

A scumbag Connecticut senator is trying to score points by demanding an investigation by NTSB, as though they never would have looked into it without his urging, and demanding that all warbirds and antique planes be immediately grounded.

stansdds
October 4th, 2019, 02:28
According to witnesses, the number 3 engine failed shortly after takeoff. The climb out stopped and the pilot made a low level, broad turn to come back to runway 6. By the time they were on final, they were too low and the Nine-O-Nine struck a landing instrument, which sent her off towards the de-icing facility where she crashed. This is a horrible tragedy with 7 of the 13 aboard perishing in the crash. I've seen Nine-O-Nine many times, seen her fly over my house, I even went for flight on her about 20 years ago. I'm devastated about the events of Wednesday morning.

PRB
October 4th, 2019, 15:07
I was watching a local news coverage of an NTSB brief. They said the plane started taking out approach light poles a thousand feet short of the runway approach end. This just doesn't make sense. A loss of one engine should not have resulted in being unable to climb, or this terrible result. Very sad and tragic. I hope they can figure out what happened.

Panther_99FS
October 4th, 2019, 17:40
7 currently dead....

stansdds
October 5th, 2019, 03:07
I was watching a local news coverage of an NTSB brief. They said the plane started taking out approach light poles a thousand feet short of the runway approach end. This just doesn't make sense. A loss of one engine should not have resulted in being unable to climb, or this terrible result. Very sad and tragic. I hope they can figure out what happened.

I agree, the B-17, like most multi-engine aircraft, is quite capable of continuing in some degree of climb with one engine out. This is looking like either their was more wrong than just one engine out, or the PIC did not apply more power and continue the climb, but simply turned and ended up far too low for a safe approach.

rvn817j
October 5th, 2019, 04:22
Latest word is seven dead. By now that's probably a final number.

Looking at the photo Moses03 posted, it's a miracle that anyone survived.

KBDL is just a quick run down I-91 from here so local news is all over it.

A scumbag Connecticut senator is trying to score points by demanding an investigation by NTSB, as though they never would have looked into it without his urging, and demanding that all warbirds and antique planes be immediately grounded.

You wouldn't be referring to FAKE war hero Richard Blumenthal?

P.S. In 2010, The Times found that Blumenthal had made misleading statements about his war service for at least seven years, since 2003, and that the press had reported that he was a Vietnam veteran for at least a decade!

wombat666
October 5th, 2019, 06:35
You wouldn't be referring to FAKE war hero Richard Blumenthal?

P.S. In 2010, The Times found that Blumenthal had made misleading statements about his war service for at least seven years, since 2003, and that the press had reported that he was a Vietnam veteran for at least a decade!

Neither called for nor relevant.
Keep on topic thank you.
:173go1:

b24_witchcraft
October 5th, 2019, 16:16
Heartbreaking - thoughts and prayers go out to all involved, their friends and families and also to the Collings Foundation.

RIP Mac and Mike along with the others lost. Article below with some more detail and the names of the victims of the crash.

https://www.boston.com/news/local-news/2019/10/03/connecticut-plane-crash-victims-identified

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=71753&stc=1 http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=71754&stc=1

TuFun
October 7th, 2019, 01:08
Chief brought his fire retardent gloves with him on the flight instrumental in saving lives. Former East Providence fire fighter for two decades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx80LogYZDI