PDA

View Full Version : KSBO East Georgia Regional Airport

tgycgijoes
September 2nd, 2019, 07:41
This past week when I had the chance I worked on making KSBO accurately as I could since I am flying in and out during the week (virtually) in my Air Cargo Carrier Shorts SD360. FSX was a joke as a default airport and I did not even use the AFCAD which was incorrect both runway length and taxiways. I went to Google Earth and shot screenshots of it but unfortunately like I have been fortunate in the past, no Street-side 3D views of anything. So I started looking on the internet for photos but none at all did I find. I was bound and determined so I emailed the Emmanuel County commissioner who I was so pleased emailed me back almost immediately at 16:30 probably just before closing time. He gave me a contact who he said could help with photos of the hangers, terminal and the airport at Airstar Charters which has an office at the airport. At 21:30 that evening, I was emailed from Airstar Charters with links to get all the photos I could possible want. Here are my results. Only one glitch and "thank you Falcon409" for a past suggestion to eliminate the jpg jitters of the terminal windows, they were instead changed to textures and look pretty good IMHO. One of the beautiful head-on shots on their Facebook page. In Google Earth, which is not always up to date photos, the A7D which I first thought was an F-86 from the blurry after trying to get close enough to see it used to be a "Gate-Guard" at the entrance road to the airport but is now inside the airport on the corner of the apron. Perhaps they had vandal problems, don't know. Had a great shot of school kids all around it on their Facebook page to see it indeed was an A-7D in USAF Camouflage. Thanks to Guy Diotte for his nice static model though it was in USN colors. I created the texture for it from scratch from the photo. At various times there are different aircraft parked here from Airstar Charter so I chose a static Beech KingAir 350 by Henry Tomkiewicz in 2006. I used SAMM2 successfully to create the static model for ADEx. I also used Sketchup 2015 to create the buildings from the photos. The most challenging were the Chinese looking overhangs with the arched roofs. Everything worked well I think so here are a few photos.

https://i.imgur.com/ewhnmkC.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/jukY3i2.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/fF07E2H.jpg The 2 light colored squares are Helicopter landing pads which are in the Google Earth Overhead which I also used for the runway, taxiways and aprons so they are very accurate unlike FSX which didn't even have the proper length of runway. Maybe it was only 5,791 feet in 2010 I couldn't find out but its correct now according to Jeppsen and AOPA. There is no tower just a UNICOMM and no CTAF.

SSI01
September 2nd, 2019, 12:17
This looks very good indeed, and if it's available for download I'd be interested. I wish someone would do the same for KSSI or KBQK, both are within easy reach of my location here on the Island, but KBQK is better suited for heavy jet ops (Omega and Gulfstream both have operations there, and C-130s from the USAF, USN, USMC all use the aircraft periodically).

tgycgijoes
September 4th, 2019, 16:45
I have permissions to include the A7 and the Beech Kingair so I will be sharing this here. Currently working on KDNV Danville another FSX(A) default "bomb" IMHO. Its all mine so when I am satisfied with it I will do a post and share.