PDA

View Full Version : My hometown still surprises me...

hertzie
August 23rd, 2019, 11:01
Though I was born here (Hilversum, the Netherlands, 77.000 inhabitants) almost 72 years ago, and was only away in the early 70-ties for a couple of years, there are places that I seldom visit. Not that I dislike them, but only because there's nothing that brings me there. So a rare visit to one of the outskirts struck me with embarrasment: had never thought to find THIS there: in incomplete P-51 on the roof of a building company. But it's a pity that it has to end its life there, wish I had the money to put it in a museum......

hertzie

stansdds
August 24th, 2019, 03:25
Though I was born here (Hilversum, the Netherlands, 77.000 inhabitants) almost 72 years ago, and was only away in the early 70-ties for a couple of years, there are places that I seldom visit. Not that I dislike them, but only because there's nothing that brings me there. So a rare visit to one of the outskirts struck me with embarrasment: had never thought to find THIS there: in incomplete P-51 on the roof of a building company. But it's a pity that it has to end its life there, wish I had the money to put it in a museum......

hertzie

Looking at the pictures, I don't think that it is a real P-51. Too many things do not look right, especially the wings, the exhaust stack, the windscreen and canopy. I think this might be a replica that someone built, perhaps for advertising purposes.

hertzie
August 24th, 2019, 09:09
Yeah, could be. As it was a Sunday, there was nobody there to ask. And at this moment I'm in France on holidays, so you'll have to be patient. But when I'm back home I'll go and ask.

hertzie.

Ferry_vO
August 25th, 2019, 06:12
I think I saw that in a 'recent' edition of Verenigde vleugels magazine, but of course if you need it, you can't find it.... Pretty sure it was fake though.