PDA

View Full Version : Assetto Corsa - not Competizione

rohan
July 3rd, 2019, 05:34
I am tempted to buy the Ultimate Edition by the Steam sale, but have no experience of a driving simulator, let alone a racing one. I tried to download the manual that the Steam page says is available, but all I get is a single picture of one car, and the Kunos website does no better.

The Steam page says that the needed controls are a mouse and keyboard, or a gamepad. How do you experienced drivers control your vehicles ? If I would have to invest in a dedicated controller, then that will likely stop me from buying, but if I can plod along using the mouse and keyboard, that would probably be good enough for me.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Ferry_vO
July 3rd, 2019, 06:27
It is a sim, not a game so a steering wheel is highly recommended IMHO. I've tried it with a keyboard after a reinstall to do a quick test but it is very hard to do and of course the 'sim' bit is completely lost for me.

wombat666
July 3rd, 2019, 07:00
What Ferry said.
I've done the keyboard routine after a new installation and it is possible to get around a simple layout using the arrows(up/down/left/right) but one's fingers get tired and the car ends up junk!
Definitely need a wheel and pedals.
Logitech are reasonably priced and you could look on eBay for a pre-loved one.
Even check out the sales for Sims on Farcebook.

:encouragement:

rohan
July 4th, 2019, 00:46
OK - many thanks for the input,
ro

scotth6
July 16th, 2019, 14:03
A steering wheel and pedals will make a massive difference, although I did use Project Cars with the X Box One controller which came with the Oculus Rift for a long time. Eventually I set up my saitek pro combat rudder pedals to act as accelerator and brake, which made it a bit more controllable. Eventually I bought the Logitech G920 bundle with wheel, pedals, and shifter for a very good price from The Gamesmen in Australia. The experience using the wheel and pedals is increased 200%.