PDA

View Full Version : Screen Capture woes

T6flyer
February 22nd, 2009, 06:36
Hello,

When I'm flying about, I sometimes like to take screenshots of anything that I find interesting along the way....scenery, AI etc and have been using IView, but have been experiencing a few problems, as sometimes the screen doesnt capture correctly.

Either part of the aeroplane is missing or the scenery is blurred.

Can anyone recommend a decent screencapture program. I've been toying with the idea of getting fraps to record flights too, but that will have to wait until the end of the month! :)

Best wishes,

Martin

Wild Bill Kelso
February 22nd, 2009, 07:28
Hi, Martin!

I highly recommend the freeware capture tool
Snapshot V4.0
by Stagesoft!
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Graphic/Graphic-Capture/StageSoft-SnapShot.shtml

Once started from outside FS, all taken screenies are kept as *.jpg in a destination folder of your choice. A nice "dingdong" sound confirms the shot to be taken.

Cheers,
Markus.

frihjul92
February 22nd, 2009, 08:17
Hi,
I use Snapper, small prog with location details and shutter sound on prtScn. Believe it came from flightsim.
William

76966 76967

dogknot
February 22nd, 2009, 08:22
FS Screen

simple, effective, problem free

at avsim
http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=fsscreen.zip&CatID=root&Go=Search

planejunky
February 22nd, 2009, 10:16
I use Snapshot, it's a very easy program to install and use and highly recommend it.

AusWilko
February 22nd, 2009, 10:54
FS Screen

simple, effective, problem free

at avsim
http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=fsscreen.zip&CatID=root&Go=Search

I use this and have never had a drama

T6flyer
February 22nd, 2009, 11:19
Gentlemen,

I've tried all that you suggest and at the moment am quite pleased with the Snapper program. I always wondered how people got their positions on their images, and at least if I'm lost I will know where I am (not one for using GPS!).

Thanks to all for taking the time to reply. As always, so much appreciated.

Best wishes and thankyou,

Martin

Lionheart
February 22nd, 2009, 14:05
If you are saving as BMP's, that is a huge operation, and FSX (I think thats what you show in your screenshots) also takes a huge amount of memory and resources... So making BMP saves at high resolution during FSX running will get those results.. But saving to JPG's should take the load out of the equation.

(This is incase changing your snapshop program doesnt help).

Bill

OBIO
February 22nd, 2009, 14:12
Definitely got to give Snapper a try...it has to be much better than just hitting "Print Screen" and doing one screenshot at a time.

Going off topic here....sorry....

But, T6, what is that green, radial powered beauty in your screenshot and where can I find it?

OBIO

Firebar
February 22nd, 2009, 14:44
I believe that the radial is a Max-Holste MH1521

As to where to get it.......I don't have a clue.

(Martin, if you want those discs back e-mail/pm me and i'll get them in the post)

Matt

GT182
February 22nd, 2009, 14:49
I agree with Brent. FS Screen is the way to go. Simple and easy to use. I've had it for close to 10 years and like it the better than most of the other screen capture programs.

Try it, you'll like it. ;)

dogknot
February 22nd, 2009, 15:18
T6flyer, Glad you found a screenshot utility you like!

OBIO,
Max Holste 1521

FS2004 Max Holste 1521 Package
http://www.simviation.com/fs2004vintage29.htm

Also get
Broussard F-GIBN at avsim
broussard_f_gibn_v2.zip

a nice texture at flightsim
"repaint of the Broussard "3304" restored by the Portuguese Air Force museum ,in flight condition"
brousard.zip

wombat666
February 22nd, 2009, 17:50
I anted up the money for Rapidshot and have never looked back.
It works in everything.
However, I think it's no longer available of if so, there's little or no support.
:kilroy:

Willy
February 22nd, 2009, 18:16
I use Snapper and no complaints.

T6flyer
February 23rd, 2009, 07:52
If you are saving as BMP's, that is a huge operation, and FSX (I think thats what you show in your screenshots) also takes a huge amount of memory and resources... So making BMP saves at high resolution during FSX running will get those results.. But saving to JPG's should take the load out of the equation.

(This is incase changing your snapshop program doesnt help)

Bill

Bill,

Thanks for the reply. Ummm its.....FS2004 :) and am saving as JPGs too. I found with Iview that I was getting one good shot out of about ten, with something always missing from the rest. I tried a series of screenshots using the Cap-10 rolling and all seemed to nice and precise.

Best wishes,

Martin

OBIO
February 23rd, 2009, 08:38
Here's a link for Snapper:

http://www.ovosoft.net/snapper/

Tom Clayton
February 23rd, 2009, 09:07
What I like best about FSScreen is the simplicity. You put the exe into a folder somewhere and then make a shortcut to it on your desktop. When running, you simply hit the PrtScrn button and the app steals the image from the system clipboard and makes it into a bitmap in the same folder where the exe is sitting. It also works outside of any gameplay, and I've used it to make tutorials at work. When you hit Alt+PrtScrn, you only capture the active window instead of the entire screen, so you eliminate the need for cropping.

Just don't forget and leave it running when your working with an image editor. You'll either copy or cut a part of the image, and then start scratching your head when it won't paste. The reason is FSScreen is still stealing images from the clipboard and making bitmaps in its folder!:faint:

dogknot
February 23rd, 2009, 09:58
What I like best about FSScreen is the simplicity. You put the exe into a folder somewhere and then make a shortcut to it on your desktop. When running, you simply hit the PrtScrn button and the app steals the image from the system clipboard and makes it into a bitmap in the same folder where the exe is sitting. It also works outside of any gameplay, and I've used it to make tutorials at work. When you hit Alt+PrtScrn, you only capture the active window instead of the entire screen, so you eliminate the need for cropping.

Just don't forget and leave it running when your working with an image editor. You'll either copy or cut a part of the image, and then start scratching your head when it won't paste. The reason is FSScreen is still stealing images from the clipboard and making bitmaps in its folder!:faint:

I use it, too, all the time outside of FS for personal projects. My wife uses it at school and has the 5th grade kids install it as well for their computer lab projects. The Alt+PrtScrn function is perfect for capturing just the active window when many are opened. FS Screen is a super utility with little or no footprint.

As far as leaving it open when working with an image editor....I've never had that problem or had FS Screen open while doing the crops, cut and pastes, etc.
I wonder if your editing software is faulty or the setup is funny. Once FS Screen captures the image from the clipboard and places it into the folder, the image and any work done to it is no longer associated with the clipboard (or the executable). It's the same as any other stored image on your computer.
(maybe I'm misunderstanding your procedure)

Tom Clayton
February 23rd, 2009, 22:11
Nothing faulty as far as I know. It's just the way that FSScreen works. Put anything other than an image in the clipboard, and it gets ignored. But put image data in the clipboard, and FSScreen steals it. So if you cut a section from an image to be pasted elsewhere, it won't be in the clipboard when you need it.

Edit: I suppose some editors might use their own clipboards, sort of like Office products do. In that case, FSScreen probably would never see it.

Willy
February 23rd, 2009, 22:28
I've got both FSScreen and Snapper and the reason I prefer Snapper is that it saves as a jpg and I don't have to convert it from a bmp to post here.

harleyman
February 24th, 2009, 03:57
FScreen....Simple...easy(I need that)..no resorses used..Saves to BMP on desktop(have to convert to JPEG)

takes great shots........

GT182
February 24th, 2009, 04:36
HyperSnap will convert BMPs to JPGs easily. I've been using that for years too, but it's an old copy and it still works great.

dogknot
February 24th, 2009, 07:01
BMP's can be posted here, gents, as well as a number of other formats. If the bmp or jpg or png, etc, has a too large file size, then it can be easily reduced in size by nearly any image editor. (MSPaint, Irfanview...)

btw, this is a bmp of the accepted file types at SOH

dogknot
February 24th, 2009, 07:14
Nothing faulty as far as I know. It's just the way that FSScreen works. Put anything other than an image in the clipboard, and it gets ignored. But put image data in the clipboard, and FSScreen steals it. So if you cut a section from an image to be pasted elsewhere, it won't be in the clipboard when you need it.

Edit: I suppose some editors might use their own clipboards, sort of like Office products do. In that case, FSScreen probably would never see it.

Comprende....now. I misunderstood.
Yep, FS Screen is an image capture utility, not a text/document editor.

T6flyer
February 24th, 2009, 13:00
As to the Broussard, I'm a member of a local group that runs one for airshow and fly-in use. Was originally used by the French Air Force during the Civil War in Algeria and in the late 70s and the early 80s was the sole French machine patrolling the French section of Berlin.

Now repainted back into its original colours.

Martin

As to the funny colour scheme - she was initially used by a British yoghurt company as a promotion - hence the multicoloured paint scheme!!

dogknot
February 24th, 2009, 14:39
Martin,

Is that military paint scheme available somewhere?

Desert Rat
February 24th, 2009, 15:37
Am I the only one that uses Martin Wrights MultiGrab? It's never caused me any probs, it's free, and he knows a thing or two about FS and it's image support.

Am I missing something? Haven't noticed any hit on resourses, have the dll file installed anyway for DXTbmp and many of his other VERY useful programs. What's the skinny, what do these other proggies do that this doesn't? Although, that one that notes location looks handy.

Jamie

Tom Clayton
February 24th, 2009, 22:45
Mason, let me give you a tip. Take the app off of your desktop and stick it into its own folder somewhere. Then Right-Click > Send To > Desktop (create shortcut). This way you can take as many shots as you want without cluttering up your desktop. You can also set that folder's view to Thumbnail so that you can quickly scan through them.