PDA

View Full Version : Doesn't look right to me.......

Optix
February 21st, 2009, 15:36
I've attached a couple of screenies that show the shoreline on an island about 15 degrees to the right of the heading you take off from Wewak. (It's large island, you can't miss it). Anyway, the shore line doesn' look right to me and with my limited knowledge of scenery I don't know how to correct the problem. Can someone please steer me in the right direction?
I also attached a copy of my scenery config. I hope that's enough info.
Thanks!

Devildog73
February 21st, 2009, 16:21
That is just those big ole waves crashing against the rocks! :woot:

Actually, I have no clue on them. Sorry. :bump:

OBIO
February 21st, 2009, 16:48
Which mesh set are you using? Knowing that will make it easier for those who know scenery tweaks to help you.

OBIO

Pen32Win
February 21st, 2009, 16:59
What you're seeing is the interaction between Rolf's Western NG mesh and the Pacific Flattens you have active. Rolf's mesh doesn't match the MS shorelines very well on the North shore of PNG. There's a lot of elevated Water. When you activate the flattens they take the water back to 0' and you have those very abrupt drop offs.

Optix
February 21st, 2009, 17:42
What you're seeing is the interaction between Rolf's Western NG mesh and the Pacific Flattens you have active. Rolf's mesh doesn't match the MS shorelines very well on the North shore of PNG. There's a lot of elevated Water. When you activate the flattens they take the water back to 0' and you have those very abrupt drop offs.

Hey Pen,

Don't mean to sound dense, but if you're speaking of the PTO flattens, I have them disabled in my scenery. Is this what you're referring to or should I disable the Coast Pacific? When I had the PTO Flattens active and disabled the Coast Pacific I had hills just offshore the were completely covered with water! As you can see, I'm totally confused!

Pen32Win
February 21st, 2009, 17:53
This little ditty right here:

[Area.008]
Title=CFS2 Coast Pacific
Local=SCENEDB\CFS2 Coast Pacific
Remote=
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=8

From your posted scenery.cfg..... This is a set of flattens..

If you do deactivate them then you've got lumpy, hilly water..... Sort of one of those "which bothers you more" choices. Lumpy Water of Cliffs?

Optix
February 21st, 2009, 19:06
Appreciate your responses! I did a little experimenting and the best combination appears to be disabling the NG meshes and the PTO flattens.

Like you said.....find the lesser of the evils!

Pen32Win
February 21st, 2009, 20:17
What I ended up doing is using Rumba's LOD7 and deactivating the stock MS LOD9 BGL for Western NG, which is incomplete. Then turn on Rhumba's Pacific Flattens. Rhumba's is CFS2 COAST PACIFIC. This is what mine looks like. And, Yep, it's a personal preference thing..

BTW, there are two big islands there. The one closest to Wewak-Wirui is Muschu Island. The one beyond it is Kairiru Island.

Buddha13
February 22nd, 2009, 01:18
Hi all,
Is it possible to deactivate all of the stock MS lod 9 bgl's and just use the new lod 7 ones.If so how do you do it..

Buddha13

Pen32Win
February 22nd, 2009, 21:00
OK;

To deactivate the stock MS LOD9 Mesh you have to turn off several BGL's. Do this by adding a ".bak" file extension to them.

They are all located in your SCENEDB\World\Scenery folder.
The files are:

guam9.bgl
iwajima9.bgl
okinawa9.bgl
vanuatu9.bgl
truk9.bgl
solomon9.bgl
saipan_tinian9.bgl
rota9.bgl
pohnpei9.bgl
palau9.bgl
pnga19.bgl - I disable this one.
pngb9.bgl - and this one. These are incomplete areas in PNG.
pnga29.bgl
pnga39.bgl
pnga49.bgl
pnga59.bgl

I think that's all of them. I'd delete the Filelist.dat too. It'll rebuild the next time you start the sim.

Buddha13
February 23rd, 2009, 10:45
Hi Pen,
Thanks for the info.

Buddha13

Ravenna
February 24th, 2009, 18:13
Thanks Pen, but I'm in need of some clarification. Do I turn all 16 BGLs into .bak files, or do I do that with all but priga19 and prigb9 which need to be disabled. I had thought that turning a bgl into a .bak file was a way of disabling it.
thanks,
Mike

Pen32Win
February 24th, 2009, 18:45
Howdy Rav;

Adding the .bak will disable them.

He wanted to turn off/disable all of the stock LOD9 so he'll have to do them all.

I just disable those two (9 & 19). The data in those two BGL is incomplete which is why Western NG and parts of NB are so bland.
What this does is allows Rhumba's LOD7 to be seen in these areas yet retains the higher detail LOD9 in areas where the data is complete.

There is one incomplete BGL that I don't disable because the area that's incomplete is at the West end of NB. It starts just west of the stock Cape Gloucester and goes all the way west to Alexishafen, and that same BGL extends all the way South to the Port Moresby area. So I just let that one be.

Ravenna
February 24th, 2009, 19:00
Okydoke. Thanks for the clarification.:ernae:

dog1
February 24th, 2009, 19:11
and what happens to all the previous add on airbases placed above zero height with a different mesh with the new LOD7 mesh!!!??
dog1

rhumbaflappy
February 25th, 2009, 03:42
Hi all.

Within 2 weeks I'll upload new watermasks and LOD8 mesh for the pacific theatre and europe ( including north africa, the mideast and the eastern front ).

At that time, I would recommend disabling all the default LOD9 mesh, and all the default VTP1 beaches, roads and streams, as they will no longer fit the coasts and landmasses.

I've made an attempt to trim the mesh to the coastlines, and this should eliminate the need for 99% of the coastal flattens.

As far as airfields, they have their own flattens, so they will adjust to the mesh... but in some cases, they will not conform to the land masking, so some may be hanging out in the water, as will some of the GSL scenery.

That can't be helped, as the Aces team mislocated the default scenery. And that couldn't be helped, as they used the best data they had at the time the sim was made. As noted many times, if the default scenery of flight simulator was right, there would be no need to redesign it.

SDC's European sets will also not be right in most cases. That scenery was based on FS2004 data, and much of that data was wrong. There would be a need to experiment with it, to see what is good and what is not.

If airfields are made that conform to the satellite images of Google Earth or MS' Live maps ( LandSat7 images ), then they would be alright with the new watermasking. I'll look at the default airfields after the masking and LOD8 mesh are uploaded, to see what really needs to be redone, as far as the default scenery goes.

Dick

Jean Bomber
February 25th, 2009, 11:26
Hi all.

Within 2 weeks I'll upload new watermasks and LOD8 mesh for the pacific theatre and europe ( including north africa, the mideast and the eastern front ).

At that time, I would recommend disabling all the default LOD9 mesh, and all the default VTP1 beaches, roads and streams, as they will no longer fit the coasts and landmasses.

I've made an attempt to trim the mesh to the coastlines, and this should eliminate the need for 99% of the coastal flattens.

As far as airfields, they have their own flattens, so they will adjust to the mesh... but in some cases, they will not conform to the land masking, so some may be hanging out in the water, as will some of the GSL scenery.

That can't be helped, as the Aces team mislocated the default scenery. And that couldn't be helped, as they used the best data they had at the time the sim was made. As noted many times, if the default scenery of flight simulator was right, there would be no need to redesign it.

SDC's European sets will also not be right in most cases. That scenery was based on FS2004 data, and much of that data was wrong. There would be a need to experiment with it, to see what is good and what is not.

If airfields are made that conform to the satellite images of Google Earth or MS' Live maps ( LandSat7 images ), then they would be alright with the new watermasking. I'll look at the default airfields after the masking and LOD8 mesh are uploaded, to see what really needs to be redone, as far as the default scenery goes.

Dick

Hi Dick

One more time many thanks for Your whole oustanding works you've made on the Mfs sims during all these years .:medals::medals:
Thanks also for the realise of the Euro W E NAfrica MEast theatres ,I've tempted some lwm lod5 sized to suit with my current projects :Banane37: but :isadizzy: the final result was not good :banghead:
These news Land water masks will surely do that some airfield and sceneries will have some outdated positioning and elevations , that will give to do some adjustement,and at least that will give a complete relooking of the game that could become at the end the best combat sim ever made with this new mapping (lod7 mesh + new Land Water masks) .
These will give also some years of scenery design with the rule to made any new project with accurate parameters.

JP

Shadow Wolf 07
February 25th, 2009, 11:32
Hi all.

Dick

Sounds great, please be sure to include full details on what and how to disable for dummies like me :monkies: