PDA

View Full Version : Milviz T-38C has launched

dhazelgrove
April 7th, 2019, 23:23
The Milviz T-38C Talon is now available here (https://milviz.com/flight/products/T38C/index.php).

It's P3Dv4.4+ only.
Free downloads of the manual and the paintkit at the bottom of the page.

Dave

Priller
April 8th, 2019, 01:24
79.99$??? I need a drink!

Priller

UnknownGuest12
April 8th, 2019, 01:35

Priller

May I join the bar?

vvince
April 8th, 2019, 01:37
Does anyone know how the aircraft flight model behaves with the air turbulences in P3D4, and with an external weather engine like Active Sky?
The Advanced Flight Model of the older T-38A was not compabilble : turbulences and Active Sky had to be deactivated for flying the plane...
I hope this issue has been solved on the new model.

Cheers
Vvince

Naruto-kun
April 8th, 2019, 03:13
I think it got improved a bit, but still, ASN overdoes the turbulence considerably. It should be turned down quite a bit.

dhazelgrove
April 8th, 2019, 04:36
https://i.postimg.cc/HLybM7Sn/Prepar3-D-2019-04-08-13-11-15-06.jpg
Lining up at KRND.

https://i.postimg.cc/g25vrKH1/Prepar3-D-2019-04-08-13-19-25-26.jpg

Dave

wombat666
April 8th, 2019, 04:56

Priller

That works out to over A$100.00 at the present inflated exchange rate!
:dizzy:

mike678
April 8th, 2019, 05:53
I got a 15% discount email as an owner of the T-38A (expires in 30 days). I also got a 20% discount email as an owner of the T-38A Advanced (doesn't appear to expire?). It doesn't look like the discounts stack.

Obviously I'm a big fan of the T-38.

They seem to be pricing their jets with external flight models (F-4E, F-4J, T-38C) at the same $80 price point. If you're not a previous buyer of the T-38 it would probably be best to wait for one of their 30% off sales around Christmas.

cortomalteseit
April 8th, 2019, 08:32
nice bird, but 80 bucks is 80 bucks! :dispirited:

Naruto-kun
April 8th, 2019, 11:25
I think part of the surprise at the price point is simply due to not having seen military jets at this level of quality all that often. While Milviz does have a decent reputation from our past projects, I personally still held VRS and DCS as the bar, and personally didn't think we reached there. To hit this level is far from easy. The jet was in development for several years, during which we learned many lessons, and suffered some losses. An individual left with 2 years worth of source code which we had to redo. Ultimately though looking back, I am glad for the hard knocks because I can trace sequence of events leading to us having a much better product. But they came at a cost. Paying a team for several years, some full time, some part time, is not cheap. Easily hits 5-6 figures. So yes, something new is hitting the scene.

ejoiner
April 8th, 2019, 11:58
The Milviz T-38C Talon is now available here (https://milviz.com/flight/products/T38C/index.php).

It's P3Dv4.4+ only.
Free downloads of the manual and the paintkit at the bottom of the page.

Dave

Thats cute but not for 80 dollars... holy crap.

Priller
April 8th, 2019, 13:50
So yes, something new is hitting the scene.

As in greed? I'm sorry, but that price is just over the top!

priller

gary20
April 8th, 2019, 14:40
Too pricey for me … I'll pass

stovall
April 8th, 2019, 15:26
We all have our threshold on price. I have seen this fantastic aircraft and have no doubt it is worth the price. We can all have an opinion but I don't want to hear the word greed or anything demeaning a developer.

vvince
April 8th, 2019, 23:09
For those who have the aircraft, does it have "real" weapons delivery? The manual talks about simulated weapons, for training purposes, where the weapons system are simulated but no actual weapon is dropped or launched, but it is silent about weapons procedures...

Naruto-kun
April 9th, 2019, 00:22
No weapons will leave the aircraft, or have any effect on targets. We are still working on tutorials for this system. But I will give a quick crash course here on ops for it.

A-A:

There are 2 gunsight options. LCOS and FNNL. LCOS is basically a fixed size reticule calibrated to a range of 2500 ft. It behaves much like the gyro gunsights of earlier era aircraft, meaning you have to match the manoeuvers of your target to get an accurate shot. The FNNL option is the more modern gun funnel. Target wingspan in feet can be set from the HUD page (where LCOS/FNNL modes can also be selected) on the UFC. The FNNL mode also displays simulated bullets flying out when you pull the TACPACK trigger.

There is also a simulated IR missile seeker circle on the HUD, which can be caged or uncaged (size changes) using the NWS button which is assigned in the MVAMS. Pressing the TACPACK pickle button will make the circle flash briefly, and the missile count (4 max) will decrease by 1. It will disappear when out of missiles. Both missile and gun ammo can be reloaded by cycling the master arm switch, or pressing the relevant MFD button on the MFD WPN page.

A-G:

Weapon profiles for release mode (CCIP/CCRP/MAN), type, reticle depression (MAN only), can be set up in the MVAMS as well as modified from the WPN page on the MFD. There are also some other parameters like dive angle, airspeed, release and break-X altitude etc that are used for reference on the No Drop Bomb Scoring system (NDBS), so you can see the difference between actual profile flown vs required profile.

A designated target (DEST point) is required for scoring purposes. It can be redesignated (target altitude must be predefined to match actual target since the T-38C has no radar or laser ranging abilities) by pressing the NWS button in A-G master mode. The CCIP designator will appear on the HUD (fall line with a diamond instead of a round reticle), and when the diamond is placed on the visual target, the NWS button must be pressed again. The MRK page on the UFC will appear with the new target coordinates, and the MRK button must be pressed to accept them, after which the target designation diamond will shift from the original location to the new target.

Simply press and hold the TACPACK defined pickle button to simulate a weapon release (you will hear a tone on release). After 20 seconds or so the NDBS score page will appear on the MFD showing actual impact (and in the case of delayed CCIP release, aim point) relative to the target.

Javis
April 9th, 2019, 00:35
Lining up at KRND.

https://i.postimg.cc/g25vrKH1/Prepar3-D-2019-04-08-13-19-25-26.jpg

Dave

What's with the canopy glass ?.... PBR ?....

VC looks jawdropping! :icon_eek:

For 80 bucks though i don't expect to see it flown by indentical twins. IMHO distracts significantly from the otherwise excellent realism..

Naruto-kun
April 9th, 2019, 00:35
Here is the full tutorial video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjFhO9WpnKU

Naruto-kun
April 9th, 2019, 00:37
What's with the canopy glass ?.... PBR ?....

VC looks jawdropping! :icon_eek:

For 80 bucks though i don't expect to see it flown by indentical twins. IMHO distracts significantly from the otherwise excellent realism..

I'm working on it :) . Glass is surprisingly difficult to do in PBR. I got it working nicely under certain conditions, only to find it different under others. Expect updates.

There is way more to this baby than just the 2 external model pilots though ;) . It wasn't spun off from an actual training simulation for nothing.

DaleRFU
April 9th, 2019, 12:56
Is it expensive? Most probably but it depends how much you will fly it. If it's something you fly most days then you'll probably get your money's worth with it. It looks like it has the detail and quality to warrant the price. For me I wouldn't fly it all that much as its not a jet that interests me that much so maybe if it's on sale come Christmas. I also think that if the T-38 is set at this price then the F-15C will be to and hopefully that won't be far away and I'd rather spend my money on that since I'll fly it very often so for me anyway it'll be worth it.

ejoiner
April 9th, 2019, 17:33
We all have our threshold on price. I have seen this fantastic aircraft and have no doubt it is worth the price. We can all have an opinion but I don't want to hear the word greed or anything demeaning a developer.

Meh, I dont think "greed" figures into it. Business is business and developers have costs. This becomes a personal choice as to whether the price = good value to you the consumer. For me the answer is no, at least on this aircraft.
80 bucks is what I would pay for a very high end study level aircraft like the PMDG 747. (example only). Unfortunately for me, I spend so much time on real airplanes for work, I dont have time to study for use of a high end study level plane. So, I will stick with the mid range birds. but thats just me.

ColoKent
April 9th, 2019, 19:37
Meh, I dont think "greed" figures into it. Business is business and developers have costs. This becomes a personal choice as to whether the price = good value to you the consumer.

I agree. The price is clearly a result of a delicate balance between covering development costs, and returning some degree of investment to the business. This is no different than other products that have varying price points (cars, houses, boats, etc.). The good news is, there are a bunch of developers creating new aircraft and scenery at varying price points...with varying quality...so there are ample choices available based on interests and budget.

Just my .02 cents.

Kent

P.S. The good news is, MilViz and other develpers typically have a multitude of great sales throughout the year....so keep hitting that refresh button throughout the year!

vvince
April 10th, 2019, 01:35
How are the performances of the module (FPS wise), compared to the T-38A ADV (or other modules like the Milviz F4E or F4J/S) ?
I fly in VR and performance is a critical point...

scotth6
April 10th, 2019, 04:18
How are the performances of the module (FPS wise), compared to the T-38A ADV (or other modules like the Milviz F4E or F4J/S) ?
I fly in VR and performance is a critical point...

Performance in VR is very good. I was flying it on my older system (i72700k @ 4.5GHz, GTX980) in the Oculus Rift and performance was very smooth. Needless to say if it's smooth in VR then it's even smoother on a monitor.

Naruto-kun
April 10th, 2019, 04:49
Its always been a goal of mine to prove that glass can be done without hurting framerates.

b52bob
April 10th, 2019, 06:35
Have always liked Milviz products but with the price they are charging, now not so much.

Along with pre-buy fiasco with the XP-11 ATR they are headed in the wrong direction.

Javis
April 10th, 2019, 10:41
I'm working on it :) . Glass is surprisingly difficult to do in PBR. I got it working nicely under certain conditions, only to find it different under others. Expect updates.

Does PBR add that much significance to, f.i. a canopy, to warrant the extra effort ?.. 'Normal texturing' does a wonderful job on external glass parts already, don't you think ?

There is way more to this baby than just the 2 external model pilots though ;) .

You don't say ! :)

Milviz' pilot figures always look like the proverbial 'last minute' items. " Ok, lets release this baby. We haven't forgotten anything, have we ?..." " Hmmmm...pilot figures, maybe ??!" " Oh,yeah! Drat !!..." It's just *because* Milviz external models look so real and wonderful a rush job on a pilot figure makes it stand out like a sour thumb. A pilot happens to be THE most important 'part' of what kind of aeroplane whatsoever. ( i know, it's like talking to a wall.. In the more then one hour lasting Milviz T-38 video, apart from the beginning and end, not *one* shot of the external model.. )
Btw, it's absolutely imperatively NOT like Milviz will be "reverse engineering" this new T-38 model back to the ol' F-5/NF-5, right ??.. Can understand that, still i'd be heavely interested in it (NF-5). Oh, and i like pilot figures. :costumed-smiley-071

cheers,
jan

Naruto-kun
April 10th, 2019, 11:01
The PBR glass is already fixed :) . Coming up in the update.

I can't promise any updates to the pilot figures but will ask. It is kinda a tradeoff in terms of time and effort. The pilot figure is indeed the least of our concerns when it comes to details in the 3D model and code.

And no, I don't know of any F-5 plans. And if there were, it is anything but a "reverse engineering" of the T-38. Entirely new 3D models from scratch, a number of differences in flight model (with our ADV external flight model, adding weapon payloads is anything but trivial), and since the cockpit is entirely different, brand new code from scratch, with many more systems that the 38C simply doesn't have, like radar etc.

Naruto-kun
April 10th, 2019, 11:15
@Javis

Would you be satisfied if the head and back posture of the pilots differed slightly?

Javis
April 10th, 2019, 20:44
The PBR glass is already fixed :) . Coming up in the update.

Terrific!

I can't promise any updates to the pilot figures but will ask. It is kinda a tradeoff in terms of time and effort. The pilot figure is indeed the least of our concerns when it comes to details in the 3D model and code.

Understand of course. And that's perfectly Ok re tube- and propliners and/or other big planes (although the pilot and co-pilot figures in the PMDG 747 each have their own animations... traditional holy moly effect...;-) but i kinda think differently when it concerns prop/jet fighters or GA. It's all personal taste of course and maybe it's a bit over the top with me because i just can't have any fun flying a prop/jet fighter or GA plane if i have something against the pilot figure. Yes, we come in all sorts.. :)

And no, I don't know of any F-5 plans. And if there were, it is anything but a "reverse engineering" of the T-38.

Don't i know it. That's why i put it in brackets.. ;-)

Would you be satisfied if the head and back posture of the pilots differed slightly?

Well, anything that would do away with the obvious 'identical twins look' would be fine of course. Personally i think something as 'cheap' as the 'identical twins syndrome' is unworthy of a sublime modeled aircraft like the Milviz T-38C (or any other aircraft model in that kind of price range..)

Thanks for considering ! :cool:

( in a screenshot the identical twins will immidiately give the aircraft away as a model... that's just a pity. It's like a small scratch on your brand shiny new Lambo... you don't see the Lambo anymore, just the scratch.... ;-)

DaleRFU
April 10th, 2019, 23:09
Seems like this question is a little off topic :biggrin-new: but from those who have bought it, what's it like? Easy to operate? How does it fly etc?

Javis
April 11th, 2019, 00:21
Seems like this question is a little off topic :biggrin-new:
Yo, sorry bout that... :sneakiness:

but from those who have bought it, what's it like? Easy to operate? How does it fly etc?
For now, I'm just standing behind the fence amongst the bushes, waving at the pilots. Who knows, they might wave back... :wavey:

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/doego.jpg

wombat666
April 14th, 2019, 03:11
No twins here! :biggrin-new:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1161x788q90/r/921/6kMXy4.jpg

Naruto-kun
April 17th, 2019, 10:25
The service pack update is out.

Naruto-kun
April 17th, 2019, 11:31
Also, Navigraph has released their navdata package for it.

Naruto-kun
April 18th, 2019, 05:22
If anyone had issues with the MVAMS updater, those are now resolved.

Naruto-kun
May 5th, 2019, 06:27
New update released via the MVAMS updater.

Change log:
Added default HUD and gunsight selection to MVAMS General page
Fixed rear canopy lever animation
Fixed missing switch sounds
Fixed emergency gear lever animation
Changes to flap initialization
Adjusted brake pedal animations
Adjusted turn performance to better match curves

Updates to 3D model
Fixed chaff/flare HUD text overlapping with gun rounds when in A-G MAN mode.
Fixed search indexing duplicate error in MDP for ICAO waypoints
Fixed bug in NWS TGT Designate when using certain DEST point ranges
Fixed elevation bug in A-G MAN bomb release causing large AIM distances in scoring
Fixed bug on MFD DEST page when using NEXT/PREV keys
Fixed bug on SCORE page where corrupt data was displayed