PDA

View Full Version : Changing P3D licenses

Sundog
April 2nd, 2019, 18:18
Hey everyone,

My P3D Professional license just expired and I was looking at going to the Academic Version to have TAC-PAC again. I know LM says you have to completely uninstall the old version and install the new version to switch licenses, but I was wondering if it's possible to just do that with the client portion of the installation, so i don't have to re-install all of my scenery and aircraft?

Thanks,

Ken

n4gix
April 3rd, 2019, 07:44
Ken, when you do a total uninstall, anything you've added to the base platform will remain untouched since the uninstaller doesn't know about them. So, no re-installation of them will be required.

You're idea of only uninstalling the Client won't work because of different version numbers between the Pro and Student licenses.

Sundog
April 3rd, 2019, 09:33
Thanks Bill,

It looks like I'm going Academic. ;)

Ken

awstub
April 3rd, 2019, 14:30
You should be able to install the academic version and then copy the simobjects, effects, add-ons, etc... from the pro installation over to it....before removing the pro installation.

Hey everyone,

My P3D Professional license just expired and I was looking at going to the Academic Version to have TAC-PAC again. I know LM says you have to completely uninstall the old version and install the new version to switch licenses, but I was wondering if it's possible to just do that with the client portion of the installation, so i don't have to re-install all of my scenery and aircraft?

Thanks,

Ken

blanston12
April 3rd, 2019, 21:04
Hey everyone,

Thanks,

Ken

It can expire???

It was my understanding that the regular pro license did not expire, at least for the version you bought. So if you got the pro licence for 4.0 you could use it for all 4.x forever, unless you got a developers licence and then it was 10$ a month until you cancel it.

Sundog
April 4th, 2019, 09:50
It can expire???

It was my understanding that the regular pro license did not expire, at least for the version you bought. So if you got the pro licence for 4.0 you could use it for all 4.x forever, unless you got a developers licence and then it was 10$ a month until you cancel it.

That's what I thought, but it claimed it expired. So, when I was looking into the issues, I looked at pricing again and decided to go to the Academic version so I can use TAC PACK again. Which, BTW, I only had one error with the install; it said I had multiple MV-22's, which I'll sort out this weekend. It's good to know I didn't have to re-install everything, but I haven't seen if the licensed products will still work yet. Still, it was easy to do.

Sundog
April 6th, 2019, 14:05
OK, I spoke too soon. When I go flying, some of the textures switch between day, night, and water textures, depending on my range from them. Any ideas on what is causing this? BTW, I have everything by Orbx installed, except True Earth GB, if that makes a difference.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=68391&stc=1

Daube
April 6th, 2019, 17:11
You might just need to go into your FTX Central and trigger some "verify" or "reinstall" of the OrbX libraries. This looks like some landclass definition problem, which is likely to happen since you have uninstalled and reinstalled the client of P3D.

Sundog
April 6th, 2019, 19:32
Thanks Daube, That was it! Now I know what that verify button is for. :very_drunk:

jeansy
April 6th, 2019, 19:57
That's what I thought, but it claimed it expired. So, when I was looking into the issues, I looked at pricing again and decided to go to the Academic version so I can use TAC PACK again. Which, BTW, I only had one error with the install; it said I had multiple MV-22's, which I'll sort out this weekend. It's good to know I didn't have to re-install everything, but I haven't seen if the licensed products will still work yet. Still, it was easy to do.

a email to LM a support can re activate the lic on request, I had mine deactivate several times due to hardware changes and inadvertently uninstalls without deactivating prior

but what you just described, it will be cheaper to downgrade in the long run for addons from several developers