PDA

View Full Version : Time to get out the bicycles

hews500d
February 20th, 2009, 19:16
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090221/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/lahood_vehicle_mileage_tax

I just hope THIS never comes to pass....

Darrell

cheezyflier
February 21st, 2009, 06:05
i've been car free almost 3 years now. i have a trailer i use to haul groceries and shopping items, and when there is ice/snow on the roads (like from nov to the end of march here in sunny canadia) i take public transportation. if i still lived in the states i couldn't do that becasuse delaware's public transit,
D.A.R.T. stands for delaware authority for retarded transit.

your better off walking

Lionheart
February 21st, 2009, 08:44
That would be one difficult thing to enforce and monitor, lol... Surely there are other ways. Just raising the taxes a bit should fix it.

I hear yah CheezyFlier. I was car-less for a year. No payments, no insurance, no fuel costs.... or tires... or oil changes... or car washes... or dealing with noooots on the roads. :d

Bill

cheezyflier
February 21st, 2009, 11:09
or dealing with noooots on the roads. :d

Bill

oh, i still deal with those. i have 10 s.s. screws and a plate holding my ankle together as proof. :costumes:

Ickie
February 21st, 2009, 11:33
hummm isn't this the same as a gas tax:faint:

Joe P
February 21st, 2009, 13:18
Why not just base the taxes on mileage at your yearly registration renewal. No need for GPS chips, and monitoring.

Based on one of the proposals in the article, ¼cent/mile, 15,000 mile/yr average drivers would pay $37.50.

Based on Colorado gas tax of 40.4c/gal, I pay $6.06 when I fill up with 15 gal, up to $315/yr based on fill-up once a week.

I think the mileage based tax would be better (And gas tax repealed), because the proceeds are to be used for road maintenance. Both efficient, and inefficient vehicle cause similar stresses and "impact" to the roads, irregardless of fuel efficiency. Therefore they should be taxed the same (based on vehicle class, by GVWR).

Even if they did a full cent/mile, I would still be paying about half of what I do now in gas tax. Doing an odometer check at yearly registration, would be easy, and the infrastructure is already in place to collect money at the DMV. No need for elaborate GPS chips, and taxing/gas stations.

I am ONLY in favor of this if :
a. The gas tax would be repealed
b. No need for monitoring devices, especially based on Speed, Location, Congestion, or anything else which has no basis for road repair spending projects.

stansdds
February 22nd, 2009, 03:44
Yeah, but do you really think they are going to give up the gas tax? If this passes, the mileage report at time of license renewal or perhaps vehicle safety inspection would be the simple method of taxing per mile... unless they are planning to track people's movement (my tinfoil hat is on nice and tight, ain't it?). I doubt they would give up the gas tax, instead, I would expect the gas tax to be in addition to the mileage tax.

cheezyflier
February 22nd, 2009, 05:40
I doubt they would give up the gas tax, instead, I would expect the gas tax to be in addition to the mileage tax.

that sounds more like the gov't we all know