PDA

View Full Version : So, I just discoverd Carriers! CVT-16?

FlyingsCool
February 4th, 2019, 20:06
Ha!, been around forever, and I only just discovered them :)

Been landing the Ant T-28 on one all night, and now been searching for what's out there. Found a bunch of WWII and of course Nimitz 2

Has anyone seen a modern version of the USS Lexington (Essex Class) with the angled deck out there in the wild?
Given my love of anything Naval training, it would be the perfect addition to have CVT-16 :) .

FlyingsCool
February 4th, 2019, 21:09
Soo... I had been landing the AF Scrub and Ant T-28 just fine on I think it was a default FSX carrier. For the last couple of hours I had set up what I think was the Nimitz 2 model out in the Gulf of Mexico and tried to land the Milton Shupe S2 tracker on it, and I landed "ok" a couple of times, but, mostly, I'd land on the deck, and the plane would tip to the right as if the main wheel was falling through and I'd start bouncing off the deck (or crash with crashing turned on).

Is there anything I can do about that? Do the contact points need adjustment? Spring rate on the landing gear? Perfect some technique I haven't discovered yet? (gotta blame the tools, right? ;) )

Not the easiest plane to approach with either, get the approach speed just a little off and it falls like a rock, or come in just a little hot and it floats on by..... (not to mention my controller needed better setup, the throttle had repeat on so I was having a tough time controlling the throttle for a while). I was using full flaps, I wonder if I need to back off a notch? Probably should read up on flying it by the numbers, huh? :icon_idea: :cool:

RjSchreiber63
February 5th, 2019, 04:32
CIMOGT - ESSEX-CLASS AIRCRAFT CARRIER FSX P3D at sim market has
-CVA-31 USS BON HOMME RICHARD
-CVA-19 USS HANCOCK
-CVA-16 USS LEXINGTON

FlyingsCool
February 5th, 2019, 09:17
Cool, Thanks!

Portia911
February 5th, 2019, 12:09
Just type “carrier” into the search box here and you’ll bring up a few lengthy and detailed threads on all you need to know to get up and running - I’ve barely dipped my toe in that pool, but there’s a whole carrier ops world out there!

Mike71
February 5th, 2019, 14:59
………………….. Not the easiest plane to approach with either, get the approach speed just a little off and it falls like a rock, or come in just a little hot and it floats on by..... (not to mention my controller needed better setup, the throttle had repeat on so I was having a tough time controlling the throttle for a while). I was using full flaps, I wonder if I need to back off a notch? Probably should read up on flying it by the numbers, huh? :icon_idea: :cool:

Try landing with the speed brake OUT. You will need more power, but float tendency will decrease considerably. This is real world technique. You are on the "back side" of the power curve, small speed and ROD changes are easier to control with smooth throttle and attitude adjustments.

FlyingsCool
February 5th, 2019, 18:02
Thanks! I didn't even realize the Tracker had a speed brake. Kind of assumed it was something like that. I'll try that.

Mike71
February 6th, 2019, 01:57
Thanks! I didn't even realize the Tracker had a speed brake. Kind of assumed it was something like that. I'll try that.
I was talking about the T-28: the S-2/C-1/E-1 series had no speed brakes.

Also, I doubt if any Navy plane made carrier landings with anything other than full flaps, unless an engine out or hydraulic system problem. Even then it usually winds up being an arresting gear limit or tail hook limit problem. Max landing weight and wind over the deck usually have to be adjusted for such emergencies.

FlyingsCool
February 6th, 2019, 05:45
Oh, yeah, the T-28 was easy to land on the deck. But it's also true I was using a default carrier, and not the Nimitz v2, so there might be some differences there. But, yes, the T-28 was easy to get on the deck, and, yes, I was using the speed brake. It was the Grummans I was having difficulty with:

1. As you suggested, I was behind the power curve on approach. I was trying to maintain 90 kts on approach, and, according to some of Milton's notes I found last night, I should keep it up at around 115 I think (there is some contradictory notes floating around).

and

2. There was bouncing involved, I'd get it down on the deck, catch a wire, and the right wheel would sink into the deck. I've seen people talking about issues with bouncing on the decks of carriers, and I know if contact points are a little off that can cause stability issues. Same issue with crashing on and off. I'm not saying that's what it is, just asking the question to get some insight. It might also be an issue with the carrier? Or, heaven forbid, it could be an issue with my landing technique(!!). ;)

So I spent last night looking around for more info for a while. I should probably find a POH, eh? hmm.

Those Grummans are sure pretty airplanes, thank you Milton and everyone else who worked on them. I've got to spend some time with them to learn how to fly them properly.

Tom

tgycgijoes
February 6th, 2019, 13:59
If you want to know how good your landings really are, Google and download vLSO and install it. You can also find FCLPs (Fleet Carrier Landing Practice) fields to download as well. You will have to carefully read how to get vLSO to recognize your T-28. Also download and install RFN's TACAN and Carrier Gauges also online.

FlyingsCool
February 6th, 2019, 19:38
I have the VLSO but have not yet installed it.
I just downloaded the FLOLS trailer, and I found the Choctaw Scenery, so I'll be checking it out.

Thanks!

fsafranek
February 6th, 2019, 20:22
Soo... I had been landing the AF Scrub and Ant T-28 just fine on I think it was a default FSX carrier. For the last couple of hours I had set up what I think was the Nimitz 2 model out in the Gulf of Mexico and tried to land the Milton Shupe S2 tracker on it, and I landed "ok" a couple of times, but, mostly, I'd land on the deck, and the plane would tip to the right as if the main wheel was falling through and I'd start bouncing off the deck (or crash with crashing turned on).

Is there anything I can do about that?

Check your fuel. You shouldn't have much more than 30% total. Then with that weight check the specs for the aircraft and see what the approach and landing speeds are with full flaps.
It's also a good idea to make a few practice runs with the hook up. Since you're using FSX there are a couple carrier related missions included. They use the F-18 but you should be able to substitute.
Hope some of this helps.
:ernaehrung004:

FlyingsCool
February 7th, 2019, 09:35
Excellent point! I had FULL fuel in all cases. Didn't even think of that. It was the Grumman I was having the most issues landing.

Land lubbing is a lot easier ;)

(It used to be a source of pride for me to be able to land my airplane in the shortest distance from touchdown to stop, such that I could exit at the 1st turnoff at KASH (in the old runway configuration). I had 1100 ft to play with, so it wasn't that awesome. But it was fun. I used to own a share in a '73 Piper Challenger (Cherokee 180). I'm hoping to get back to flying for real again this year :) ).

FlyingsCool
February 12th, 2019, 09:31
Back to the original subject of the thread... Looks like I could mod the Oriskany model here in the library to be CVT-16, since it's an angled deck Essex class carrier....

Put a 16 on it and call it a day :)

FlyingsCool
February 12th, 2019, 19:52
Why can't anything be easy?

Turns out the Ident marks for the Oriskany models are hardcoded into the model, so the change neccessary isn't just a change in texture :(

tgycgijoes
February 13th, 2019, 04:28
Carriers that I have tried to alter in the past I found that way. Sometimes even the aircraft on deck are hard-modeled and can't be removed. The designer i guess did not intend his model to be altered except by him.

Cimogt just finished an angle-deck Essex that is fantastic check the thread here for the different ships he did.

gp183601
February 13th, 2019, 06:29
Why can't anything be easy?

Turns out the Ident marks for the Oriskany models are hardcoded into the model, so the change neccessary isn't just a change in texture :(

I did it because I found certain individuals taking the free work that I did and selling it. I figured by adding or leaving ‘hard wired’ elements they’d have to work for their plagiarism. Only works so far though so rather than get annoyed about it I’ve just stopped putting my work out there for public consumption. I now get less annoyed and can still enjoy what I build!

🙂

ATB
Gaz

tgycgijoes
February 13th, 2019, 08:10
Its terrible that we lose great designers of aircraft, ships or scenery because of some unprincipled individuals. All the best Gaz.

R

FlyingsCool
February 13th, 2019, 15:57
Hi Gary,

Hopefully you didn't think I was complaining you did it. Just seems lately every time I think I'm gonna do something, I end up coming across something I don't know enough on how to complete it :(

Sorry people can be such dicks. Thanks so much for the work you did release!

Mike71
February 13th, 2019, 17:19
Hi Gary,

Hopefully you didn't think I was complaining you did it.-------Thanks so much for the work you did release!

Agree - great work across the board.

However LEX as the P-Cola AVT for the Naval Air Training Command as well as several fleet replacement "RAG"s (A-4 / A-7 / A-6 in particular) would be a great addition since so many people in FS get started with TRACOM planes like the T-28C, T-2B/C and TA-4J as well as the new TF-9J.

FlyingsCool
February 13th, 2019, 18:24
Agree - great work across the board.

However LEX as the P-Cola AVT for the Naval Air Training Command as well as several fleet replacement "RAG"s (A-4 / A-7 / A-6 in particular) would be a great addition since so many people in FS get started with TRACOM planes like the T-28C, T-2B/C and TA-4J as well as the new TF-9J.

:)

(Ten characters)

gp183601
February 14th, 2019, 01:46
Hi Gary,

Hopefully you didn't think I was complaining you did it. Just seems lately every time I think I'm gonna do something, I end up coming across something I don't know enough on how to complete it :(

Sorry people can be such dicks. Thanks so much for the work you did release!

No offence taken matey was just outlining why I did what I did 😁

might be be able to do you a freebie CVT-16 if no one else has for my original model

cheers

expat
February 14th, 2019, 02:33
Gary,

I cannot express how much I have enjoyed for many hours your Oriskany and Midway carriers. Truly grateful for your skill and generosity sharing this fine work with others. It is a shame and frankly selfish if someone has taken your freeware and is selling it, and understandable you no longer wish to share your creations.

With best wishes,

expat

gp183601
February 16th, 2019, 14:36
Dug out the very old Oriskany model this evening - didn't take long to change the deck textures and make the pennant number changeable. This is a very old model so I won't spend too much time on it - maybe tidy up the hull add a rotating radar and moving blast deflectors will let you know when it's done and available for use.

That's about all i'm prepared to do on it no fancy moving elevators or anything like that as this mdl doesn't deserve the attention.

I have another Essex class which is much further on than this and about 100 times better - i'm still pondering what to do with it but it deserves more of my time than this old creation but if you need a CVT-16 for free I can do the necessary mods and i'll park my experimentation in submarines for now :wiggle:

https://i.imgur.com/3bBnzyO.jpg

Cheers
Gaz

delta_lima
February 16th, 2019, 16:09
Hi Gaz,

I've been watching your various carrier projects closely, and have enjoyed what you've done thus far.

Whether this or that other more advanced Essex - know that they would be immensely appreciated and enjoyed. I have never monkeyed with elevators on any carrier that had them - I fly on and off them, period. So while I'm all about any eye candy topside, I never go down below.

Just one person's opinion, of course - but your work is very much appreciated on my sim.

Cheers,

dl

Mike71
February 16th, 2019, 18:10
Dug out the very old Oriskany model this evening -----
That's about all i'm prepared to do on it no fancy moving elevators or anything like that as this mdl doesn't deserve the attention.
I have another Essex class which is much further on than this and about 100 times better - i'm still pondering what to do with it but it deserves more of my time than this old creation but if you need a CVT-16 for free I can do the necessary mods and i'll park my experimentation in submarines for now --- --:wiggle:
Gaz

Thanks for th effort.

These beat up 27Cs in their later lives wouldn't operate elevator number 2 (end of angled deck) very often anyway because it would too often have problems, get hung up and need repairs - negating recovery at the wrong time.

tgycgijoes
February 17th, 2019, 09:09
Please continue the work. Again, I'm totally pleased with this one and tweak and finish it up and many thanks.

R

FlyingsCool
February 17th, 2019, 16:11
Dug out the very old Oriskany model this evening - didn't take long to change the deck textures and make the pennant number changeable. This is a very old model so I won't spend too much time on it - maybe tidy up the hull add a rotating radar and moving blast deflectors will let you know when it's done and available for use.

I have another Essex class which is much further on than this and about 100 times better - i'm still pondering what to do with it but it deserves more of my time than this old creation but if you need a CVT-16 for free I can do the necessary mods and i'll park my experimentation in submarines for now :wiggle:

https://i.imgur.com/3bBnzyO.jpg

Cheers
Gaz

Hi Gary,

Beautiful! :) I've been perfectly happy using the Oriskany, but if you've done the work that would be awesome. I've been working now for a couple of months creating scenery around Pensacola to recreate what it looked like in the 50's and into the 60's, and do plan to do the work to release it for public consumption someday soon. A CVT-16 would be an awesome compliment to that. Really fun to take off and do "bounce" flights in various trainers. Just picked up the RAZBAM Buckeye and TA-4J, and already have Ant's T-28C, and of course Dino's T-45.

Started with Saufley and it's grown from there. I've done that and Summerdale, Magnolia, Wolf, started doing some work on Whiting to get it back to the 50's 60's (there's a more modern one available).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xagtxfsde3j40r1/SaufleyField1957.jpg?dl=0

Tom

tgycgijoes
February 17th, 2019, 16:29
If you search the Warbird Library here you will find the 3 custom textures I did for the Buckeye for one of the members here of TRARON 23. Just checked and you can find them by just typing in "Buckeye" and hit search.

FlyingsCool
February 17th, 2019, 17:01
Great! Thanks!

Sadly, I have hit my limit for the moment for downloads : (

But, as soon as they let me, I'll be there : )

Wow, just did a flight from Meridian to the Gulf, they've got a long way to go for carrier trials from Meridian.

What I've been working on the last week or so; I've found a way to convert models from SolidWorks into 3DS models, so now at least creating the solid is super easy for me now (texturing and animating and grouping etc, ouch, got a long way to go there to figure out that part). So I've been modeling the Collings Foundation Hangar and American Heritage museum, and I've been searching for tanks and other artifacts to put in the buildings in FS. Someday, I'll have the Collings airfield modeled along with them, and you can explore the whole place in FS : )

(Yeah, a lot of stuff on my plate).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3bff46w3xbit4pr/AHM_SWorks.jpg?dl=0 The Solidworks Model (roof removed) of the American Heritage Museum
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3f97lfi2xojdd12/ScreenShot%2020190217-010.png?dl=0 the Model in GMax
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a54ddqeeynjytgu/ScreenShot_190117_002.png?dl=0 Showing the facets
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2pupv5gl0wjam34/ScreenShot_190117_001.png?dl=0 The Collings Foundation Hangar in Stow, MA

Here's what I was working on last night, a paint for the SOH F-100D (is it a C or D?) of the Collings Foundation F-100F (yeah, wrong model, but there's no good F with a VC as far as I can tell, and, heck, that SOH model is an awful nice bird to fly : ) ). Well, I can't really say it's my paint. I just took the 56-3206 paint in the model, changed the markings and fixed up the nose paint a bit. Next up will be a MA ANG version.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0yiilhk192rm1i6/2019-2-17_16-55-32-693a.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qfpvzdm8249x8sr/2019-2-17_19-48-29-824a.png?dl=0

FlyingsCool
February 18th, 2019, 10:18
If you search the Warbird Library here you will find the 3 custom textures I did for the Buckeye for one of the members here of TRARON 23. Just checked and you can find them by just typing in "Buckeye" and hit search.

P.S. Turns out I had already downloaded them :)

Thanks again.

Here's a pretty cool site on the Buckeye http://rickmorganbooks.com/t-2-buckeye.html

He blogged about a bunch of interesting planes, actually.

Mike71
February 18th, 2019, 12:47
Great! Thanks!

----- Wow, just did a flight from Meridian to the Gulf, they've got a long way to go for carrier trials from Meridian. ---------------------.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0yiilhk192rm1i6/2019-2-17_16-55-32-693a.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qfpvzdm8249x8sr/2019-2-17_19-48-29-824a.png?dl=0

TRACOM CQ dets usually flew in to NAS Pensacola a day prior, then sortied out from there to LEX for CQ. Also made divert easier, all the maintenance and line det people from the various VT squadrons involved were pre-positioned there.

FlyingsCool
February 19th, 2019, 18:46
TRACOM CQ dets usually flew in to NAS Pensacola a day prior, then sortied out from there to LEX for CQ. Also made divert easier, all the maintenance and line det people from the various VT squadrons involved were pre-positioned there.

Ah, ok, that makes sense. Is it also why you'd see a mix of squadrons in the pics of the Lex?

I was reading a story today about a cadet who was doing his first CQ with 7 others from his squad on Lake Michigan in 1942; 3 cadets lost their lives that day (they were each attempting 8 traps in one day). Dangerous work!

gp183601
February 20th, 2019, 13:19
Used an image of Lexington from the 1980's to see what she roughly looked like. Tidied up/replaced some textures, did some minor tweaking to the model (stern, pri-fly). Just need to do the animations now (JBDs, radars). Nothing fancy just enough to make it a bit less rough around the edges compared to Oriskany

https://i.imgur.com/kCzYMU6.jpg

Cheers
Gaz

FlyingsCool
February 20th, 2019, 13:27
Gorgeous! That's so awesome! Thank you!

awstub
February 20th, 2019, 18:41
That looks great!

My hope is that we'll eventually have all of these SCB-125 Essex class ships available.

CVS-9 Essex
CVS-10 Yorktown
CVS-11 Intrepid
CVS-12 Hornet
CVA-14 Ticonderoga
CVA-19 Hancock
CVS-20 Bennington
CVA-31 Bon Homme Richard
CVS-33 Kearsarge
CVA-34 Oriskany
CVS-38 Shangri-La

They would be great for multiplayer scenarios.

Mike71
February 21st, 2019, 01:14
Ah, ok, that makes sense. Is it also why you'd see a mix of squadrons in the pics of the Lex?

I was reading a story today about a cadet who was doing his first CQ with 7 others from his squad on Lake Michigan in 1942; 3 cadets lost their lives that day (they were each attempting 8 traps in one day). Dangerous work!

LEX was "run hard and put away wet" in her later years as the dedicated TRACOM CVT/AVT. She was stripped of any combat capability so as not count in the Navy carrier force structure. Berthed in Pensacola she worked the Gulf of Mexico coastline to host the day CQ requirements of basic and advanced flight students. Qualification required satisfactory completion of (at least during my career up into the 90's):

All TRACOM qualifications were DAY ONLY
- 2 touch and goes
- 6 traps
- The T-28s / TS-2s got 6 deck launches
- T-2/F-9/TA-4 students got 6 cat shots.

Depending on the weather and other operational scheduling, LEX would transit westward towards Corpus Christi and operate near the coastline to service monthly qual periods for the advanced jet squadrons at NAS Beevilee and NAS Kingsville as well as the advanced prop squadrons and their TS-2s at NAS Corpus Christi. This saved those squadrons the effort of packing up monthly detachments to Pensacola, which was somewhat disruptive.

T-2 squadrons at Meridian did not perform CQ ops in my day. Students finishing up basic jet in VT-7 and VT-9 were transferred to a dedicated CQ/air to air gunnery squadron at Pensacola for basic jet CQ in the T-2. The squadron was VT-4. VT-5 at Whiting Field outside Pensacola was a T-28C squadron that served the same purpose for basic prop CQ.

Newly designated Naval Aviators got their first night qualifications at the end of their initial "type training" in various dedicated squadrons called "Replacement Air Groups" or "RAGs". Qualification in any type required

- 2 touch and goes
- 4 day traps / cats
- 6 night traps/cats

These were spread across 2 days, a limit of 6 traps a day was a rule. On LEX, your shoulders were falling off your spine after 6 traps in a jet. Arresting gear runout was only about 200 feet.

LEX was frequently busy past midnight working A-4s, A-7s, A-6s., S-2s, or E-1s and perhaps a few EA-1 "left handed Spads" She could not handle the F-4, E-2, or F-14s.

Staying close ashore in the Gulf allowed easy transit for various planes to/from the ship during CQ periods so the ship did not have to have too many planes on deck at one time. That could get to be a real problem with too many nervous and excited students trying to bang into each other despite the flight deck directors' best efforts. planes usually were on deck only for a "hot pump" refueling, pilot change or down for maintenance. The ship had very limited maintenance capability other than minor equipment swapouts and general servicing. Anything major that was wrong with a plane often required it to be off-loaded pierside at Pensacola by crane for fixing there.

More seasoned aviators returning to squadron duty after disassociated assignments also went through a RAG before rolling back to a fleet squadron. They may even be flying a totally different fleet plane then their previous experience (A-4 to A-7 as an example), or things in planes change over time - bigger engine, better weapons systems, etc so that was necessary.

FlyingsCool
February 21st, 2019, 15:09
LEX was "run hard and put away wet" in her later years as the dedicated TRACOM CVT/AVT. She was stripped of any combat capability so as not count in the Navy carrier force structure. Berthed in Pensacola she worked the Gulf of Mexico coastline to host the day CQ requirements of basic and advanced flight students. Qualification required satisfactory completion of (at least during my career up into the 90's):

All TRACOM qualifications were DAY ONLY
- 2 touch and goes
- 6 traps
- The T-28s / TS-2s got 6 deck launches
- T-2/F-9/TA-4 students got 6 cat shots.

Depending on the weather and other operational scheduling, LEX would transit westward towards Corpus Christi and operate near the coastline to service monthly qual periods for the advanced jet squadrons at NAS Beevilee and NAS Kingsville as well as the advanced prop squadrons and their TS-2s at NAS Corpus Christi. This saved those squadrons the effort of packing up monthly detachments to Pensacola, which was somewhat disruptive.

T-2 squadrons at Meridian did not perform CQ ops in my day. Students finishing up basic jet in VT-7 and VT-9 were transferred to a dedicated CQ/air to air gunnery squadron at Pensacola for basic jet CQ in the T-2. The squadron was VT-4. VT-5 at Whiting Field outside Pensacola was a T-28C squadron that served the same purpose for basic prop CQ.

Newly designated Naval Aviators got their first night qualifications at the end of their initial "type training" in various dedicated squadrons called "Replacement Air Groups" or "RAGs". Qualification in any type required

- 2 touch and goes
- 4 day traps / cats
- 6 night traps/cats

These were spread across 2 days, a limit of 6 traps a day was a rule. On LEX, your shoulders were falling off your spine after 6 traps in a jet. Arresting gear runout was only about 200 feet.

LEX was frequently busy past midnight working A-4s, A-7s, A-6s., S-2s, or E-1s and perhaps a few EA-1 "left handed Spads" She could not handle the F-4, E-2, or F-14s.

Staying close ashore in the Gulf allowed easy transit for various planes to/from the ship during CQ periods so the ship did not have to have too many planes on deck at one time. That could get to be a real problem with too many nervous and excited students trying to bang into each other despite the flight deck directors' best efforts. planes usually were on deck only for a "hot pump" refueling, pilot change or down for maintenance. The ship had very limited maintenance capability other than minor equipment swapouts and general servicing. Anything major that was wrong with a plane often required it to be off-loaded pierside at Pensacola by crane for fixing there.

More seasoned aviators returning to squadron duty after disassociated assignments also went through a RAG before rolling back to a fleet squadron. They may even be flying a totally different fleet plane then their previous experience (A-4 to A-7 as an example), or things in planes change over time - bigger engine, better weapons systems, etc so that was necessary.

Awesome info, Thanks!

Here's a cool account of training for two pilots from the 50's and 60's

https://airfactsjournal.com/2018/10/doing-it-the-old-school-way-carrier-qualification-in-the-1950s-and-60s/

P.S. Now you've got me on a hunt for a TS-2 repaint. Saw a pic, cool looking plane....
(https://airfactsjournal.com/2018/10/doing-it-the-old-school-way-carrier-qualification-in-the-1950s-and-60s/)

Mike71
February 21st, 2019, 15:29
Awesome info, Thanks!

Here's a cool account of training for two pilots from the 50's and 60's

https://airfactsjournal.com/2018/10/doing-it-the-old-school-way-carrier-qualification-in-the-1950s-and-60s/

P.S. Now you've got me on a hunt for a TS-2 repaint. Saw a pic, cool looking plane....
(https://airfactsjournal.com/2018/10/doing-it-the-old-school-way-carrier-qualification-in-the-1950s-and-60s/)
Reading through the T-2 material reminds me of how the instability of DoD funding decisions impacts the whole system. All the changes in squadrons and locations (Meridian, Kingsville, Beeville, etc) were driven by base closure decisions (and individual influence of state Congressional delegations) that dictated re-alignment. It is even more so today with a great deal of joint service flight training syllabi, which I personally feel is correct. Spinning off to unique service training can be done at a later point.

Navy Chief
February 21st, 2019, 16:58
Very interesting, Mike. Thanks!

I wish Corpus wasn't such a long way from Pensacola, or I'd go visit the Lex. Really is a shame that Pensacola wasn't chosen as the final home for her. NC

gp183601
March 24th, 2019, 11:37
Managed to get some free time today to finish off a variant of Lexington - Its pretty basic but I've updated some of the hull and superstructure and added some animations.

There are some errors still in the model (meatball is waaaaay off, some texture anomalies in the superstructure etc) and I haven't bothered with night textures but in the absence of another CVT-16 it should suffice for what you are looking for to cover the 'hole'

Line up your nosewheel with the exact start of the catapult track to engage the launch bar with the catapult

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TxGrxnZq1i2adgZBPRtKofyhSlm2fn8R/view?usp=sharing

https://i.imgur.com/GY4haE6.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/LfbhDQD.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/9Ury4I8.jpg

Credits to additional developers included in readme

Cheers
Gaz

kl791
March 24th, 2019, 11:45
Managed to get some free time today to finish off a variant of Lexington - Its pretty basic but I've updated some of the hull and superstructure and added some animations.

There are some errors still in the model (meatball is waaaaay off, some texture anomalies in the superstructure etc) and I haven't bothered with night textures but in the absence of another CVT-16 it should suffice for what you are looking for to cover the 'hole'

Line up your nosewheel with the exact start of the catapult track to engage the launch bar with the catapult

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TxGrxnZq1i2adgZBPRtKofyhSlm2fn8R/view?usp=sharing

Cheers
Gaz

Looks great. Just downloaded. Thanks for sharing :D

delta_lima
March 24th, 2019, 22:08
Lovely, Gary!

I took it out for a quick cruise off Corpus Christi and took the Razbam T-2. Quite nice indeed. Love that you have Guy's static T-2s and crew figures. A perfect training environment for the early 60s all the way to the 90s. Added a plane guard helo and a destroyer picket just in case the sewage went into the ventilation ... :biggrin-new:

No issues whatsoever, apart from the ball alignment you've already pointed out. Will get lots of use out of this boat, for sure.

Thanks so much!

dl

FlyingsCool
March 25th, 2019, 08:16

Cheers
Gaz

Awesome!!! Thanks so much!

gray eagle
March 25th, 2019, 11:01
Used an image of Lexington from the 1980's to see what she roughly looked like. Tidied up/replaced some textures, did some minor tweaking to the model (stern, pri-fly). Just need to do the animations now (JBDs, radars). Nothing fancy just enough to make it a bit less rough around the edges compared to Oriskany

Cheers
Gaz

Thanks for sharing the Lex.

I read your readme and there was only one ship entry to put in AI carriers
[formation.xx]<--------Where xx is the next number in your formation
title=USS Lexington
unit.0=Lexington_AVT16, 0, 0

Yet, I have two ships sailing with the Lex and don't have any idea why they are there.

https://i.postimg.cc/wx0R6B7C/Lex.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/XqCfPGbB/Lex1.jpg

This is view from plane guard posit and of ship in pic above (port abeam of Lex) ^
https://i.postimg.cc/6pwrHp1T/lex2.jpg

gp183601
March 25th, 2019, 11:57
Thanks for sharing the Lex.

I read your readme and there was only one ship entry to put in AI carriers
[formation.xx]<--------Where xx is the next number in your formation
title=USS Lexington
unit.0=Lexington_AVT16, 0, 0

Yet, I have two ships sailing with the Lex and don't have any idea why they are there

You may have another entry in AICarriers which also has a title=USS Lexington so I would advise you check the Conf for a duplicate entry as the pictures you posted are not of the Lex model I built but Cimogts variant (I assume you bought his payware release?)

Cimogts model uses the same base model from sketchup warehouse and he has included my Tilly crane in his release as well as some other features from my original Oriskany but from the images his island for Lex is slightly different to mine (I removed the gun directors, changed the radar to match Lex as a training carrier, added guy doittes T-2). He also added more clutter to the island and walkways which I can see in the images I didn’t bother as I’m not planning to do any extensive development to this model

cheers
Gaz

expat
March 26th, 2019, 01:57
Gary,

Excellent work and very generous of you to share this. I see you have thoughtfully enabled people to change the hull and island numbers by changing the textures. Is there also an easy way to remove the Buckeye trainers to have a clear deck/generic Essex boat for people to play with?

Thanks again!

gp183601
March 26th, 2019, 08:36
Gary,

Excellent work and very generous of you to share this. I see you have thoughtfully enabled people to change the hull and island numbers by changing the textures. Is there also an easy way to remove the Buckeye trainers to have a clear deck/generic Essex boat for people to play with?

Thanks again!

No there’s no easy way to remove the buckeyes without recompiling the model. Let me see how long it would take to do a one off special for you with a slightly updated model.

:wink:

jmbiii
March 26th, 2019, 11:37
I would love to have a Yorktown and Intrepid (10 and 11).
Oh, to be young again.

FlyingsCool
March 26th, 2019, 12:55
I would love to have a Yorktown and Intrepid (10 and 11).
Oh, to be young again.

Pre or post SCB27 (installation of the angled decks?). The models do exist for pre-SCB27.

expat
March 26th, 2019, 13:21
Just a generic angled deck/cleared deck Essex class carrier would do the job for many!

AND - others here have found a way to add a "deck park" of aircraft on the deck by making and adding models you can choose to enable/disable in the sim.cfg.

Thanks Gary for your consideration.

goshawk45
March 26th, 2019, 19:00

Cheers
Gaz

Thank you so much for doing this, I've been looking for this ship for a few years now. My ground school instructor did his initial CQ on this boat, and I have wanted to see this in the sim for awhile now.

DennyA
March 26th, 2019, 23:35
Recos for best straight-deck WW2/Korea carriers to practice with my Corsair, Helldiver, and F9F?

(That hopefully work in P3D 4.4.)

Thanks!

expat
March 27th, 2019, 05:27
Have you tried searching right here (FSX ships > Essex)? Most of these are FSX native and work in P3D4. Great for WWII/Korea warbird carrier ops indeed!

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links_search.php

Switchblade408
March 28th, 2019, 18:51
I got it working in P3Dv4.4, did a bunch of traps with it.

expat
May 28th, 2019, 07:23
No there’s no easy way to remove the buckeyes without recompiling the model. Let me see how long it would take to do a one off special for you with a slightly updated model.

Hi Gary,

Just checking back to see if it is possible to recompile the model to remove the trainers without too much time or trouble?

Thanks and regards,

expat

delta_lima
May 28th, 2019, 09:40
Hello Gary,

I just wanted to give you a quick shout out and THANK YOU for this awesome boat. I personally love the T-2s, and it's become my default USN CQ boat. It spans a few decades' worth of a training vessel, and as is, is perfect for my 70s-90s USN period. For 90s+ period USN CQ, I have Fernandez's T-45 configured Nimitz, so that's all nicely covered.

Of course, if it could be repurposed into other Essex carriers, with other deck combinations, that's up to your kind graces.

Just know that it has been, and remains, a very valuable freeware gift.

Thanks very much!

dl

gp183601
May 28th, 2019, 12:25
Hi Gary,

Just checking back to see if it is possible to recompile the model to remove the trainers without too much time or trouble?

Thanks and regards,

expat

Hay Expat - Sorry I totally forgot that I said i'd remove the trainers. Tried a quick and dirty method tonight without much success as the T-2 canopy glass is tied to the bridge and Tilly crane glass so if I remove one I remove them all. I've got some free time on Thursday i'll rebuild the model and drop you a PM when it's ready

Best
Gaz

gp183601
May 28th, 2019, 12:27
Hello Gary,

Of course, if it could be repurposed into other Essex carriers, with other deck combinations, that's up to your kind graces.

Thanks very much!

dl

Kind of Like this?

https://i.imgur.com/mFa9qDm.jpg

Best
Gaz

delta_lima
May 28th, 2019, 12:44
Kind of Like this?

Best
Gaz

Gary - that is GORGEOUS!

Is that a whole new model? Whatever you have planned for that, I’ll happily enjoy. All your other USN and RN boats have a special place in my “port”. :encouragement:

gp183601
May 28th, 2019, 12:53
Whole new model. To be clear it’s not my mesh but subject to authors approval (and credit) i’m dragging it kicking and screaming into fsx and plan to have all the SCB-125s with different deck configurations.

Gaz

delta_lima
May 28th, 2019, 13:03
Most excellent news! I’ll be keeping an eye out.

Together with Dean’s RF-8 in the works, it’s shaping up to be a great 2019...:ernaehrung004:

expat
May 29th, 2019, 02:28
https://nmtsreno.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/you_rock_baby.jpeg

fallenphoenix1986
May 29th, 2019, 02:45
plan to have all the SCB-125s with different deck configurations

Happy dance :wiggle:

tgycgijoes
May 29th, 2019, 03:58
I've got my Stoof ready as soon as you are. We will be able to get empty deck config too?

FlyingsCool
May 29th, 2019, 13:05
Echoing all the other comments :jump: (Yay!.... Yay!.... Yay!... )

Thanks so much!!

(though I must say I also was happy with the T-2's on the deck :) )

klnowak
July 16th, 2019, 00:43
Kind of Like this?

Best
Gaz

Is there any news for that model ? Looking for a good base for CV-12 Hornet. This one would be fantastic :applause:

greetings
Klaus

blanston12
July 16th, 2019, 10:03
I have also recently discovered carriers and have been downloading a collection of them created by SWS, FlyingStations, RFN, Yanco and others. One thing I have been looking for is some information on the different carriers typical escorts and the formations they would take while at sea, does anybody know where I could find such information?

klnowak
July 17th, 2019, 01:57
.......some information on the different carriers typical escorts and the formations they would take while at sea, does anybody know where I could find such information?

Some sugestion to get the first informations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Carrier_Group_tactics

(https://harpgamer.com/harpforum/topic/3426-tactics-101-naval-formations-part-1/)
https://harpgamer.com/harpforum/topic/3426-tactics-101-naval-formations-part-1/

greetings
Klaus

(https://harpgamer.com/harpforum/topic/3426-tactics-101-naval-formations-part-1/)

lexington1709
May 26th, 2020, 09:47
I've got a Bonhomme Richard model with textures but I can't very well edit them to CVA / AVT-16. :wavey:

expat
May 26th, 2020, 11:29
Where is your model from?

lexington1709
May 26th, 2020, 11:46
Where is your model from?

sas1946.com

gp183601
May 26th, 2020, 12:32
sas1946.com

Same model, for which I am checking and seeking permission for FSX. So no-I don’t have Lexington textures from the several PM requests you’ve sent.

No-I cannot create any. I would suggest if you’re using the same model you try to produce the textures you are looking for or ask on the sas forum (as I am)

cheers
Gary

tgycgijoes
May 26th, 2020, 12:39
I am a member of SAS1946. SAS1946 is an extensively modded IL2 platform and is tremendous if you love IL2. Those guys are serious combat flyers and have spent 1000's of hours modding it. You can log in at the link he gave above and see what it is all about. It is NOT compatible with any of our 3 platforms though so that "Bonnie Dick" cannot be converted to use in FSX or P3D and certainly not X-plane to my knowledge though from Gary's comment above he may know something I don't being much more experienced in that than I am. I have been a member of SAS1946 (though haven't visited them until today for a while) for over 9 years since the early years of IL2 way before FSX@War OR DCS.

lexington1709
May 26th, 2020, 13:58
Gary:

Sorry for the several PMs... I didn’t know if they were sending. Found out my account wasn’t activated. Apologies.

I got the model from Karla on the sas1946 site. After telling her what I was doing, she even sent me the original Blender file! I thought that was cool of her! The model on the site is for IL2 but they’ve a converter to make it a OBJ file.

Karla also sent me the HQ textures for Bonnie Dick. I’ve tried modding the flight deck and island textures to Lexington (as she, Bonhomme Richard, and Shangri-La were converted to SCB-125 at the same time, so they share the same hull and islands) and my efforts just don’t look good to me (my changes stand out like crazy). I saw the nice quality work here so I thought I would ask to see if someone had the Lexington textures I could use (with permissions, of course).

gp183601
May 27th, 2020, 08:38
It's no problem sorry for not getting back to you and being short in my responses i'm just a bit snowed under with work at the moment so i'm behind with replying to PMs and answering some forum threads and i've got a backlog of ship requests!

How did you get hold of Karla?.....i've been trying to get the same permissions. You're lucky I went the hard way round.....rebuilt and merged the msh components in Blender, had to recreate the UVMaps, remap and reskin all the textures, create custom components specific to FSX with animations (radars, blast shields, IFOLS, lighting) and sort out the transparency issues i've had.

I haven't done Lex (well not got round to it) so sounds like you've got the mods already so as per my previous note you may have better options than me if you want it quickly.

As for Lex I am trying to work out a quicker way to redo the textures so if you can wait (up to you sounds like you're good to go) I can knock something up....CVT Lex is in the pipeline too.

Wake effects and steam effects are keeping me up at night as well as the :banghead: night lighting!

I'm also trying to reverse engineer some of my RN models for IL2.......more :banghead:

ATB (as Dave would say)

Gary

lexington1709
May 27th, 2020, 10:45
It's no problem sorry for not getting back to you and being short in my responses i'm just a bit snowed under with work at the moment so i'm behind with replying to PMs and answering some forum threads and i've got a backlog of ship requests!

How did you get hold of Karla?.....i've been trying to get the same permissions. You're lucky I went the hard way round.....rebuilt and merged the msh components in Blender, had to recreate the UVMaps, remap and reskin all the textures, create custom components specific to FSX with animations (radars, blast shields, IFOLS, lighting) and sort out the transparency issues i've had.

I haven't done Lex (well not got round to it) so sounds like you've got the mods already so as per my previous note you may have better options than me if you want it quickly.

As for Lex I am trying to work out a quicker way to redo the textures so if you can wait (up to you sounds like you're good to go) I can knock something up....CVT Lex is in the pipeline too.

Wake effects and steam effects are keeping me up at night as well as the :banghead: night lighting!

I'm also trying to reverse engineer some of my RN models for IL2.......more :banghead:

ATB (as Dave would say)

Gary

Sent you a PM. :adoration:

gp183601
May 28th, 2020, 01:40
Guys,

Lexington1709 have had a couple of PMs back and forwards and i've had an idea that might be mutually beneficial to both of us.

He needs a set of Lex textures for a project and i'm slowly working my way through the pennant numbers but textures aren't my favourite task in modelling and i'm busy at work now.....so it will be weeks before I get round to doing a CVA-16 (the anomalies in the model being my priority) - so i'm putting a shout out to some of the excellent texture artists out there....anyone interested in redoing the island and deck for CVA-16 if I provide the textures?

Drop me a PM if you are - i'll then add them to the model config and convert them to the source format for Lex for his model.

There's a couple of forum threads running on the Essex topic so i'm going to post back on my main (shipyard) thread next steps for Essex so that i'm looking in one place. :untroubled:.

Best
Gary

FlyingsCool
May 28th, 2020, 08:43
Guys,

Lexington1709 have had a couple of PMs back and forwards and i've had an idea that might be mutually beneficial to both of us.

He needs a set of Lex textures for a project and i'm slowly working my way through the pennant numbers but textures aren't my favourite task in modelling and i'm busy at work now.....so it will be weeks before I get round to doing a CVA-16 (the anomalies in the model being my priority) - so i'm putting a shout out to some of the excellent texture artists out there....anyone interested in redoing the island and deck for CVA-16 if I provide the textures?

Drop me a PM if you are - i'll then add them to the model config and convert them to the source format for Lex for his model.

There's a couple of forum threads running on the Essex topic so i'm going to post back on my main (shipyard) thread next steps for Essex so that i'm looking in one place. :untroubled:.

Best
Gary

I'd be happy to take a look at it.

tgycgijoes
May 29th, 2020, 18:39
Here is a photo of the USS Antietam, CVT-36 the carrier quals carrier for NAS Corpus Christi before Lexington took over. I changed with his permission, Gary's angle deck Lex AVT-16 since he didn't bury the hull number into the model but thankfully made it a texture I changed in Photoshop. I used the photo below.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=76560&stc=1 It was not a large photo so I went looking for another and found this one

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=76561&stc=1

I noticed that Gary's Lexington no longer has the 5/38 twins on the flightdeck which Antietam still does in 1961 which is her last training cruise. I hope to get that fixed in the future through help here. The interesting thing though that sent me on a 3 day internet search collecting materials which are really sparse for the A1-H Skyraider "TRAINERS" on the fantail. At first I thought they were T28C Trojans until I enlarged the photo. Well, there are no photos I found at all of the Skyraider trainers so I studied these blurry aircraft, used my U.S. Navy BuAer directives for 1961 and using Tim "Piglet" Conrad's A1-H and his paintkit, here are the results. I came across by accident and saved the Naval Aeronautical Organization OPNAV NOTICE 05400 for Fiscal Year 1961 dated 1 July 1960 that shows tons of information. Among the squadrons that are the responsibility of NAS Corpus Christi include...VT-30 with 29 AD Skyraiders. So my Skyraider here is one of the 29.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=76562&stc=1

lexington1709
July 31st, 2020, 11:08
Any progress?

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78005&stc=1

tgycgijoes
July 31st, 2020, 15:41
It has its own thread. Check it out.