PDA

View Full Version : Moving map

CavOk
February 20th, 2009, 08:37
I'm trying to get to grips with FSX and I'm looking for something similar to FS Nav which I always used with FS9. Firstly am I right in assuming that FS Nav won't work with FSX and second what if any are the alternatives.

Brett_Henderson
February 20th, 2009, 09:25
I never was a fan of FSNavigator.. I always figured that 1/2 the reason I was sitting in front of a monitor.. simulating being a pilot... was to BE a pilot, and navigate accordingly. If you just monitor your position by moving map (or even the GPS), you aren't navigating at all.. It's much more fun and challenging to find your way around by instrument. MSFS replicates this so well, that when hooked up to approved hardware, and overseen by a CFI, you can actually log up to 10 REAL hours toward your instrument rating.

That aside,, the GPS is a moving map.. and the map function you can bring up by the tool-bar shows you everything you need to know.

There are some freeware substitutes for FSNav, but I can't remember their names.

stiz
February 20th, 2009, 10:11
there Gmap, which is free, however it doesnt work in full screen :frown:

http://fswidgets.com/shop/download_files.php

6297J
February 20th, 2009, 10:24
I think FS Commander has a simple moving map function.

I miss FSNav very much - it was the biggest shock when I returned to FSX after a couple of years away from simming. It was simply the best use of a second monitor in FS. I know you can drag the GPS unit across but it doesn't compare.

Now that we know FSX is the last in the series or at the very least the last for quite some time, can we persuade the makers of FSNav to come up with one final version I wonder.

Navy Chief
February 20th, 2009, 11:56
Yep, I miss FSNAV too. I still have FS9 (always will have), and love that program.

NC

flewpastu
February 20th, 2009, 16:59
Ive been using this one for some time and its free, Very well put together and fairly easy to use.
http://www.cpinf.com/

Bill