PDA

View Full Version : Imperial war museum, London, just a few pics

ian elliot
January 9th, 2019, 02:51
Just a few pics of the Spitfire that hangs in the Gallery. A Mk1a, on display since 1946 and apparently still in its original OTU colors. A pretty impressive Zero in one of the side galleys also

wombat666
January 9th, 2019, 19:27
A fascinating museum Ian and one which visitors to the UK should set aside a few days for.
We spent a couple of days taking notes on the WW.1 exhibits last November before we crossed the channel to attend several of the Centennial services as well as visited some of the less known battle fields.
Illuminating.
:encouragement:

Bomber_12th
January 10th, 2019, 17:08
Back in 2012, R6915, the Mk.1 Spitfire in Ian's photos, was sent to Duxford for some conservation work prior to it going back to the IWM London. Here are a bunch of close-up detailed photos of the aircraft while it was at Duxford between 2012 and 2014. The paint that it wears is the last coat of paint it received in (OTU) military service in 1944. https://www.flickr.com/photos/dwhitworth/albums/72157632701701826

dhasdell
January 10th, 2019, 22:16
It's good to see it being cared for properly, but on the other hand it seems a shame that a genuine combat veteran with at least one "probable" to its credit should be given the colours of an OTU rather than those worn in action.

huub vink
January 11th, 2019, 01:41
Thanks for sharing these pictures Ian. :encouragement: Its one of the museums which is on my "must visit" list for ages........

Cheers,
Huub

ColoKent
January 11th, 2019, 02:18
And if you visit the museum, there is a WONDERFUL pub across the street called “The Three Stags”!

Kent

huub vink
January 11th, 2019, 04:43
And if you visit the museum, there is a WONDERFUL pub across the street called “The Three Stags”!

Kent

Thanks for the hint Kent, but I'm from the land from Heineken and Grolsch,so I don't think I can convince Mrs. Vink I need luke warm ale.........

Back in 2012, R6915, the Mk.1 Spitfire in Ian's photos, was sent to Duxford for some conservation work prior to it going back to the IWM London. Here are a bunch of close-up detailed photos of the aircraft while it was at Duxford between 2012 and 2014. The paint that it wears is the last coat of paint it received in (OTU) military service in 1944. https://www.flickr.com/photos/dwhitworth/albums/72157632701701826

Thanks for the link John, I like the pictures with the radiation warning sign on the canopy. I once saw an historic aircraft, where every single gauge had its own radiation warning sign. Radium dails can actually generate quite some dose and when gauges are damaged people could easily get contaminated. But I really wonder how many people, and for which duration, will sit in the cockpit of this aircraft........

As safety engineer and radiation expert, I sometime wonder whether me and my colleagues are not over-doing things :biggrin-new:

Cheers,
Huub

ColoKent
January 11th, 2019, 08:46
Huub...I’m guessing Mrs. Vink would love the chips w/garlic aioli sauce....Mrs. Colokent LOVED them! Just sayin....

Kent

P.S. I am not a “warm ale” fan either...looking at the pics, they have plenty of “regular” cold beer too!