PDA

View Full Version : Gun Damage Dice

_486_Col_Wolf
December 8th, 2018, 12:24
This subject has been covered before. Is there a definitive list that is considered the final word to all involved on gun damage dice? I remember seeing such a list before but I can not find it again. I've seen A/C from different designers with the same guns but the damage dice is different.

Captain Kurt
December 8th, 2018, 15:48
This subject has been covered before. Is there a definitive list that is considered the final word to all involved on gun damage dice? I remember seeing such a list before but I can not find it again. I've seen A/C from different designers with the same guns but the damage dice is different.

Hi Col.

Opinions vary. The most commonly used seem to be the Arms.dat file values originally included with the DPED utility. I also will use a list compiled by Kevin Gaddy which covers some weapons not included in the DPED Arms.dat file

UncleTgt
December 9th, 2018, 07:49
This is a difficult subject to get uniformity on, simply because the CFS2 file structure is so flexible & so easy to amend & change.

Gun Power could be standardized, but whilst you can put multiple hit boxes into a plane there are other ways to make a plane very difficult to kill. Just load up the hit box numbers, or split various components into a series of hit boxes (wings with multiple sections etc.). CFS 2 doesn't model armouring, so you have to be creative in assigning hit points to vital systems, but this can make the whole aircraft unrealistically tough.

So when you come across an opponent you think is unrealistically tough to shoot down, you change the gun damage dice & increase hitting power. And on & on it goes...

The damage dice idea was probably a way of creating uncertainty with the amount of damage any particular round could cause, but was somewhat still-borne, almost every gun I've seen uses 1 x # as the damage calculation, so every round always does the same amount of damage.

With a game this old, I think all we can do is match aircraft opponent sets that seem to give believable results. There are simply too many variables.

I tried to standardize gun hit points in a spreadsheet (attached), but quickly found I had to revise the hit box totals in aircraft dp files I came across in a similar way. The pdfs & excel spreadsheets I continue to develop are in the zip.

Sarg Willy
December 9th, 2018, 16:05
I like your interpretation Uncle , I think M$s intended the wording Damage Dice as just the clue
point , but left it unfinished , 1x4.0 as taken , 1 x rd = x 4 damage points , but that is an assumption that every round is hitting the same target box , What if there is an uknown variable
at play here , that being the number of rounds per second fired , and I,ll randomly apply 20 rounds -- therefore only 1 round strikes the box -- the rest are aborted -- = 4 damage
something you can test out - 4x ,4.0 may infer 4 hits of the 20 rounds expended -
there fore producing 16 damage points , in equal time space , It seems to produce better results , faster take down ,
All said and done , my own opinion , is that a vital area as in control cables cut should be
a weak link , less armour and I set these on a fighter to 15 Armour , but I use 1/2 M$s Values , for gun dice , That makes for good player Ai to kill an opponent in the 3-4 second range provided the gun,s are synced to his advantage ,

_486_Col_Wolf
December 12th, 2018, 09:42
Thanks for the info guys. although I still remember reading a list of WWII era guns and a damage dice number to apply to them as a standard but for the life of me I can't remember where I saw it or where I put it if I D/L'd it.... It sucks getting old! It was a simplified list with the .50 cal being 14 and the .303 cal being 10.....ect.

Worthless
December 12th, 2018, 10:46
Just a guess, but Caleb Flerk has a section on Damage Dice under Models-DP-Guns. His tables are based on 50 cal and the gunstation numbers he uses in his example is 4d4*14.

http://www.cfgse.calebflerk.com/DP_Guns.htm#Guns

Ivan
December 12th, 2018, 17:41
Hello Gentlemen,

I have a list of this type for Combat Flight Simulator 1, but I don't know if it would be useful to you all.
It was SUPPOSED to be the 1% standard but there are a lot of errors in it.
These guys got a lot of the weights wrong (most of them) and also didn't seem to understand the difference between instrumental velocity and muzzle velocity.

I believe I have a much better list, but it is constantly in a state of being updated.
The last update was just a few weeks ago when I was working on an old Thunderbolt.

- Ivan.

Captain Kurt
December 13th, 2018, 18:52
Col.

that information is in the Arms zip I posted. The damage dice is only a portion of what you need. You also need the values in the line of data to get the velocity, rate of fire, weight of the bullet etc. to simulate the weapon. The damage dice by itself isn’t enough data for the game to work with.