PDA

View Full Version : P3D compatable VN scenery

Quicksand
November 1st, 2018, 18:06
I'm back guys. I got my installation on the correct drive, and decided to fly my Huey over VN. Only problem is that VN looks like Saudi Arabia in P3D. Is there an addon scenery that will restore the jungle and take away the desert?

jmig
November 2nd, 2018, 06:55
Somebody here on SOH was working on a 1965 era version of Vietnam a while back. I am not sure what the status of it is. Maybe they will see this and answer?

rvn817j
November 2nd, 2018, 09:01
I'm back guys. I got my installation on the correct drive, and decided to fly my Huey over VN. Only problem is that VN looks like Saudi Arabia in P3D. Is there an addon scenery that will restore the jungle and take away the desert?

That is a very loaded question! How good do you want it? I am very pleased with the look of my scenery in P3Dv4, but it comes at a cost. The base layer for good scenery is "mesh" and a very good "mesh" product is Pilot's FS Global Ultimate. I went with ORBX for the next layers; Textures and Autogen are contained in their Global Base Pack and shorelines, lakes, rivers, roads, rail, etc., etc. are contained in their Global Vector.

These are not the only products in these categories, but to improve the look of your scenery there is not just one thing that has to be improved to accomplish that task.

awstub
November 2nd, 2018, 12:38

When I fly, I pretty much only do it in SEA.

For my mesh, I have been using the South-east Asia SRTM Mesh (available on AVSIM). It's reasonably accurate.....and free.

One of the biggest problems with the "stock" scenery are the inaccurate roads and rivers.
ORBX Global Vector (in addition to their Base Pack) makes the rivers more accurate.
As for the roads, I have tested some SEA roads for roger-wilco-66 and found that they are pretty accurate.

With everything put together, I can reasonably navigate southern Laos (specifically the DMZ, Steel Tiger & Barrel Roll AO's) at low level using topographical maps from the SEA war time period.

expat
November 3rd, 2018, 04:38
If I already have FTX Global Vector, do I really need the additional freeware mesh?

rvn817j
November 3rd, 2018, 05:02
If I already have FTX Global Vector, do I really need the additional freeware mesh?

Global Vector is not mesh. If you haven't installed a 3rd party mesh your P3D installation is using the default mesh. I did a quick search and came up with this video comparing PILOT'S mesh to default - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVfMQVGw7FQ . About halfway through the video they start comparing the meshes. Do some additional searches to see more examples.

I would also say that the coloring of the various scenery segments (tiles) is done by FTX Base Pack. Coloring of those segments, like forests, fields, trees, golf courses, etc., etc., is important to the look and feel of your sim.

P.S. - Maybe I should put it this way - mesh for "bumps"; FTX vector for "lines" (roads, railways, shore line (lakes and oceans)); FTX base pack for specifying and coloring tiles. I'm sure others here know more about the sim functions than I do, but that is what I did to get a greatly improved visual appearance to my sim. I have also purchased (over many years) various sceneries from FTX, Flightbeam, FlyTampa, PacSim and Aerosoft and have been very pleased with all of those purchases. The guys at ORBX / FTX did a VERY SPECTACULAR thing for folks that used their scenery products in FSX and I would like to recognize that now. THANKS FTX / ORBX for migrating your scenery from FSX to P3D without additional charge! That was a huge money saver.

Corvette99
November 5th, 2018, 14:00
I have been working on converting the "Vietnam War Project" scenery and objects to P3Dv4 , and trying to find v4 compatible aircraft for the traffic . So far it's turning out pretty nice !

Crusader
December 4th, 2018, 16:48
I have been working on converting the "Vietnam War Project" scenery and objects to P3Dv4 , and trying to find v4 compatible aircraft for the traffic . So far it's turning out pretty nice !

How is this project going ? Keep us informed cause there would be a whole lot of people interested in this . The Vietnam War Project was one of my favorites .

Rich

Corvette99
December 5th, 2018, 13:28
How is this project going ? Keep us informed cause there would be a whole lot of people interested in this . The Vietnam War Project was one of my favorites .

Rich
Coming along slowly but surely. When I get somewhere close to done I will post a new subject.
Need to verify with the original folks involved that it is okay for me to share their modified work.

awstub
December 5th, 2018, 20:30
......and that is why we didn't use any of it for the FSX@War SEA theater.

Hopefully you will have much better luck than we did,

Coming along slowly but surely. When I get somewhere close to done I will post a new subject.
Need to verify with the original folks involved that it is okay for me to share their modified work.