PDA

View Full Version : Curious issue with Manfred C-47 v3.14

blanston12
October 28th, 2018, 21:06
I was doing a flight today in V4.3 using Manfred's brilliant C-47 V3.14. I was flying from Montreal to Goose Bay using real world weather via ActiveSky, flying at about 7000 ft and the aircraft starts loosing both speed and altitude until I eventually had to do an emergency landing at some remote airport along the way. It was raining and the outside air temp was about -8C so most likely I was icing up but I had all the anti ice systems on from takeoff and I could find no indication anywhere as to what the reason was. I reloaded the sim, restarted from where I left off and after climbing above the clouds was able to get to my destination without incident.

Has anyone experienced something like this before? If I was icing up is there anyway to check in the sim if that's true?

simondix
October 29th, 2018, 00:01
Did you try carburettor heat at all?

thunderstreak
October 29th, 2018, 02:46
I have also had a gradual loss of power in similar weather flying the MJ C-47.
I should have been keeping a closer watch of the carb air temp gauge, my bad.
I turned the carb heat on and descended to a warmer outside temperature and was able to carry on.
It is important to monitor the carb air temp gauge and keep it above freezing, especially in cloud and precipitation.

blanston12
October 29th, 2018, 06:51
I thought the carb heaters were on but to be honest I don’t remember checking it. Mp and RPMs were both maxed out and were I would expect them for my altitude. The way it was flying I thought there was a weight of ice that was just dragging me down. After my emergency landing I checked everything and tried to take off again. Even though I was bouncing along the ground at 80 kn the tail wheel would not come up.