PDA

View Full Version : Aeroplane Heaven / Just Flight Lancaster released

dhasdell
August 29th, 2018, 03:26
The title says it all, really 😀

Priller
August 29th, 2018, 03:32
You beat me to it David! I was too busy downloading and installing it!!

And here is the link to it:

https://www.justflight.com/product/lancaster-b-mk-one?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=New%20Aeroplane%20Heaven%20Lancaster% 20for%20FSX%20%20P3D&utm_content=New%20Aeroplane%20Heaven%20Lancaster%2 0for%20FSX%20%20P3D+CID_2cd02685fcce2c3af045d199ca 5b5751&utm_source=cm&utm_term=Aeroplane%20Heaven%20Lancaster%20B%20MkI

Priller

IanP
August 29th, 2018, 03:34
It's already on the never-ending list of things I really want but can't have. :mixed-smiley-027: ;)

Looks nice though. Hope to see some first impressions posts from people soon.

Ian P.

strykerpsg
August 29th, 2018, 03:54
Thanks for the update. Bought and downloading

YoYo
August 29th, 2018, 04:13
I dont know how big must be my hangar, first Halifax, then Lancaster and Liberator incoming also! :wiggle:

dhasdell
August 29th, 2018, 04:45
You're going to need an IanP airfield if you haven't got one.

thefrog
August 29th, 2018, 05:05
Who’s doing a B-24?

RKinkor
August 29th, 2018, 05:15
Mike from Flight Replicas is doing one from what I understand. There is thread somewhere where he mentions it. It might be in the post about the Halifax.

LouP
August 29th, 2018, 05:18
Hate to say this but I am getting discouraged with he direction of the price of these add-ons lately. Seems we broke the $40 barrier and most are priced there now, regardless. I know some will just brush by this little comment but needed to voice my mind. I was interested in this and it looks nice but need to start picking which add-ons I purchase a little more judiciously.

LouP :-)

Paul Golding
August 29th, 2018, 05:37
Hate to say this but I am getting discouraged with he direction of the price of these add-ons lately. Seems we broke the $40 barrier and most are priced there now, regardless. I know some will just brush by this little comment but needed to voice my mind. I was interested in this and it looks nice but need to start picking which add-ons I purchase a little more judiciously.

LouP :-)

At £27.99? I'd have thought that cheap enough for anyone with even just a mild curiosity to want buy it.

wombat666
August 29th, 2018, 06:01
US$40.00 = A$56.00.
Exchange rates suck but considering the work that goes into these big and complex aircraft it's to be expected.
And one price fits all sims.
:173go1:

Priller
August 29th, 2018, 07:36
I agree with most here: @ 34€ it is a steal. Compare most JF/AH products to other devs and they are always very reasonably priced.

moreover, their support is stellar and quick!

Priller

blanston12
August 29th, 2018, 09:10
I wonder if there is a way to switch my payment currency on the JF store. At current exchange rate you pay 15% more if you pay in dollars compared to pounds.

LouP
August 29th, 2018, 09:22
The first add-on I ever purchased was 5 bucks (Carenado). I know there is a lot more work and detail in today's models but this one just seems a bit high. Maybe it's the exchange rate thing because a lot of the Just Flight products seem to be on the high side to me. Not trying to hijack the thread but I just purchased the JF Arrow on sale at $22 and that seems to be a fair price. I just can't grasp the regular price of $42, especially now that I see what it is. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice aircraft but I just don't get the 40+ dollar asking price for that one either.

I'll stop now.

LouP

blanston12
August 29th, 2018, 09:29
The first add-on I ever purchased was 5 bucks (Carenado). I know there is a lot more work and detail in today's models but this one just seems a bit high. Maybe it's the exchange rate thing because a lot of the Just Flight products seem to be on the high side to me. Not trying to hijack the thread but I just purchased the JF Arrow on sale at $22 and that seems to be a fair price. I just can't grasp the regular price of $42, especially now that I see what it is. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice aircraft but I just don't get the 40+ dollar asking price for that one either.

I'll stop now.

LouP

I agree, up to around 20-25$ I will buy on impulse, above that I have to think about it, the move above that the harder I think. At 50+ it's got to be super compelling and I can remember the last time I wanted an aircraft enough to spend that much. For JF aircraft you can wait till its on sale or they have there pick and match sale and get several for a bargain. Alas I have used those sales often enough that the last time they had the pick and match sale there was only one that I did not already have, and I did not really want it that much.

I'll stop now, returning to topic.

UnknownGuest12
August 29th, 2018, 10:17
Indeed a beautifull, detailed work, and not going to discuss if it deserves what it costs. Sure it took a lot of work to build. Anyway, 35 € is a bit more that I will pay for another airplane no matter the builder or model...will wait for a future sale

Regards

Roger
August 29th, 2018, 10:29
Bought, downloaded, flown, excellent! Must read the flipping manual for the finer points:engel016: Frame rates are great for a big, complex model.

https://images2.imgbox.com/61/6e/UBmsI19h_o.jpg (http://imgbox.com/UBmsI19h)

ijay
August 29th, 2018, 11:02
"Bought, downloaded, flown, excellent!" as Roger said
Then had to take the gratuitous, moody screenshots
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=63163&stc=1
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=63164&stc=1

IanP
August 29th, 2018, 12:25
@dhasdell: I've got most of the groundworks done for Metheringham - I'm just struggling to work out which tiny groups of pixels say "N" and which ones say "TB" at present. The two big obvious "T2s" and the big obvious "B1" are already there, as is the entire bomb dump and some of the dispersals.

However, discussing pricing, the only things I can afford at present cost GB£0.00, AU$0.00, US$0.00, €0.00 or 0ISK, so stop rubbing it in, will ya?! :D :P

Cheers,

Ian P.

bazzar
August 29th, 2018, 13:59
For those that have not been able to find it, the manuals are now stored under The Producers in the Windows start menu.:engel016:

YoYo
August 29th, 2018, 14:14
This is interesting (like in DCS):

Special texture techniques (PBR) create highly realistic paint and wear effects

AussieMan
August 29th, 2018, 15:36
Wombat666 hits the nail on the head with pricing. Also those complaining about pricing are forgetting one word ….. QUALITY. From the early FS aircraft the quality has improved immensely. As computers have improved over the years and can handle the latest flight sims so the quality of aircraft have improved. Aircraft like the Lancaster have become more complex. But the Just Flight pricing has remained the same for several years now.

dvj
August 29th, 2018, 16:17
My only hesitation would be the possibility of this item going on sale in a month after I paid full price. Looks dam "buster" nice however. Let's see, a half bag of groceries at Whole Foods, or a Lanc? What will he do

-d

Catboat
August 29th, 2018, 16:41
I have to agree. Quality and accuracy are the words! I started with FS9 and now run FSX with all the available bells and whistles, and I've been amazed at the advances in the above. JF, A.H, Carenado, A2A, Flight Replicas, Milviz, etc. All produce items that at least visually, are as close as possible to the real thing. We are also extremely lucky to have people like Manfred Jahn, Milton Shupe, and their respective teams, in the same league. I don't mind paying for my hobby, if that is the case. I am on a part-pension, so have to watch the pennies, but if I have to live on bread and water, and limit consumption of the "Turps" for a few days, so be it. Wifey Dear, will just have to restrict the outfit buying also, ("but it is reduced from $125 to $45, and I just had to have it. I have just downloaded the Lancaster, and am having problems with jerkiness, which I believe could be frame rates, and I know sweet Fannie Adams, about computers, but I'll sort it out eventually.

eddie
August 29th, 2018, 19:12
She's a keeper I'll say that!! Really well done!

https://s19.postimg.cc/bwp8ugirn/lanc.jpg (https://postimg.cc/image/ee101q2nz/)

AussieMan
August 30th, 2018, 04:07
Most addons these days are getting more complex. It is a case of reading the manual before you even think of your first flight. And for some aircraft you really need to be an airline pilot to even get through the start up.

Pity the poor beta testers who only have about a 1 page instruction sheet for the first few betas then a manual appears.

But the Lancaster is one of the best so far.

b52bob
August 30th, 2018, 09:23
The quality goes in and the price goes up, way up. I don’t need a study sim, I just want to fly with nice visuals and don’t need to go through a long checklist just to get in the sky.
I Can’t afford payware anymore. I just wait for the sales and even then not much. Gone are the days of $39.95 being expensive.

dvj
August 30th, 2018, 09:34
Most addons these days are getting more complex. It is a case of reading the manual before you even think of your first flight. And for some aircraft you really need to be an airline pilot to even get through the start up.

Pity the poor beta testers who only have about a 1 page instruction sheet for the first few betas then a manual appears.

But the Lancaster is one of the best so far.

BTW, where is the manual? I've looked in all folders. Search did not turn up anything. -d

Roger
August 30th, 2018, 09:46
BTW, where is the manual? I've looked in all folders. Search did not turn up anything. -d

dvj, check post#20

dvj
August 30th, 2018, 12:33
dvj, check post#20

Ah..... thank you!

https://i.imgur.com/Mm9qwqr.jpg

-d

manfredc3
August 30th, 2018, 14:54
Wow, now THAT's an amazing picture.

Nice find dvj.

These pictures, real and from the sim, are making it harder and harder to wait with my purchase.

Stop with the teasers........... Nah, keep them coming.

dvj
August 30th, 2018, 16:42
Wow, now THAT's an amazing picture.

Nice find dvj.

These pictures, real and from the sim, are making it harder and harder to wait with my purchase.

Stop with the teasers........... Nah, keep them coming.

Well it is pretty nice, but I can't figure out those skinny tires. Must be for mud and snow. ;-)

bazzar
August 30th, 2018, 19:10
Yes, I might fatten those up a bit in a patch sometime.:engel016:

dvj
September 1st, 2018, 10:29

the early development shots for the tyres looked good....
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=63230&stc=1

SH427
September 2nd, 2018, 13:21
I'm planning on picking mine up soon!

bazzar
September 2nd, 2018, 18:38
This is interesting (like in DCS):

A paintkit is on the way. Some of the PBR qualities are being "dumbed down" for a simpler kit for FSX.:engel016:

Javis
September 2nd, 2018, 20:09
A paintkit is on the way.

@ any repainters: is it considered nagging and/or whining to ask for a prestine BOB Memorial Flight texture set ?..... ( if affirm i'd still like to go ahead and whine about it... :teapot: )

Javis
September 2nd, 2018, 20:12
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=63230&stc=1

Agreed ! :encouragement:

DickB
September 3rd, 2018, 07:29
+ 1. I was wondering what was bothering me about the wheels.

Excellent weathering BTW.

Bradburger
September 3rd, 2018, 10:46

Agreed also!

It maybe because of the textures on the released model or my imagination, but the shape of the cowlings, especially the radiator intakes, looked more accurate in the early preview renders too.

Anyway, another aircraft to add to the "I must by that" list!

Cheers

Paul

bazzar
September 3rd, 2018, 13:53
Apart from the tyres, which had to go due to poly budget, what you see in the dev shot is what you get in the finished product.:engel016:

UnknownGuest12
September 3rd, 2018, 16:13

Know this is not the right place to ask, but do you have any intention of a patch for the P-47 propeller hub? Would be much appreciated…

Regards

DickB
September 3rd, 2018, 22:12
Apart from the tyres, which had to go due to poly budget, what you see in the dev shot is what you get in the finished product.:engel016:
Fattening the tyres and maybe dropping the a/c everso slightly so that the tyres appear slightly flatter on the ground would be a big improvement. No need for tread - most wartime Lancs had smooth tyres anyway.

IanP
September 4th, 2018, 13:03
Just as a quick follow up to my gripe about people complaining about prices earlier in the thread... Some exceptionally kind person donated me exactly enough to buy the Lancaster - until PayPal took their bit, which means I couldn't quite get it straight away. :D

In a couple of days (hopefully tomorrow) the Lancaster will be mine... It will be mine...! Bwahahahaha! :devilish:

Many, many, thanks if the gentleman who donated is here and reading this. It really is very greatly appreciated.

Ian P.
(Metheringham needs trucks and clutter and it'll be done, for the record. It's got a flatten and parking spots done now.)

DickB
September 4th, 2018, 13:30
That's a real bummer. Just Flight told me I cannot install on my live system because it (quite deliberately) does not have an internet connection. I have the product installed on my test system, but that is an old machine and can't cope with the frame rates. Quite apart from the fact that it doesn't have all my control hardware etc.

They have offered a refund, but that doesn't help much. I understand the need for copy protection of course, but surely there must be some way of giving me a one-off key based on my live system IP. Or something. Somehow I've managed to install everything else on there (except the base sim) without going online.

Josh Patterson
September 4th, 2018, 14:46
That's a real bummer. Just Flight told me I cannot install on my live system because it (quite deliberately) does not have an internet connection. I have the product installed on my test system, but that is an old machine and can't cope with the frame rates. Quite apart from the fact that it doesn't have all my control hardware etc.

They have offered a refund, but that doesn't help much. I understand the need for copy protection of course, but surely there must be some way of giving me a one-off key based on my live system IP. Or something. Somehow I've managed to install everything else on there (except the base sim) without going online.You could make sure all auto update permissions are turned off so MS can't alter your machine, get online long enough to get activated then re-isolate your machine.

DickB
September 4th, 2018, 22:30
You could make sure all auto update permissions are turned off so MS can't alter your machine, get online long enough to get activated then re-isolate your machine.
I think that's my only option, short of waiting until I upgrade my system, which probably won't be for another year or so. Or until I have a catastrophic failure and have to rebuild.

Unfortunately it's not just MS that has auto updates (I can certainly disable those). I have many other products on there, and some will be just itching to upgrade themselves once they detect that they're online. A full system backup will certainly be required.

It's a shame, because I don't think it's necessary. Other developers (or delivery channels) manage to protect their products without having to go online for each new instal.

DickB
September 5th, 2018, 00:43
Nice video posted by Ghostrider78able on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBal2y0IjYU

jeansy
September 6th, 2018, 03:54
I think that's my only option, short of waiting until I upgrade my system, which probably won't be for another year or so. Or until I have a catastrophic failure and have to rebuild.

Unfortunately it's not just MS that has auto updates (I can certainly disable those). I have many other products on there, and some will be just itching to upgrade themselves once they detect that they're online. A full system backup will certainly be required.

It's a shame, because I don't think it's necessary. Other developers (or delivery channels) manage to protect their products without having to go online for each new instal.

try creating a ghost fsx folder and a temp fsx registry change, install it on you connected pc into it and then copy the contents on the other pc, Justflight/aeroplane installers doesnt install dont need a registry entry for the addon to work

this way you can by pass the installer on the offline pc, and this way you can zip the contents of the ghost folder and save elsewhere for another day

DickB
September 6th, 2018, 11:26
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I don't want to hijack this thread though. Any further ideas Pls PM me !!

DaveQ
September 11th, 2018, 05:22
Purchased this yesterday. A great add-on, like their P-47 and Typhoon, hugely detailed and accurate. A couple of points I don't get though. First, I had to fill the port auxiliary wing tank to centre the CG. Anyone else? And second, there are visibility codes in the titles in the aircraft.cfg file. H2S I get but what are FG and LP?? When doing repaints it's quite important. Just thought someone here might know.

Cheers

DaveQ

WarHorse47
September 11th, 2018, 05:58
I had to fill the port auxiliary wing tank to centre the CG. Anyone else?

Was that after a full manual, cold & dark start??

DaveQ
September 11th, 2018, 08:24
Was that after a full manual, cold & dark start??

No, the default flight has engines running. On first flight the aircraft rolled to the right when airborne and required considerable aileron input to maintain level flight. The FSX fuel/payload manager indicated the CG was slightly to the right of the centre line. Checked the aircraft.cfg file for error and found none. Filled the port auxiliary tank, CG centred and all was well when airborne.

DaveQ

DickB
September 11th, 2018, 09:32
It is indeed a nice model. Love the weathering. I have a couple minors:

Ground handling - is not bad, but the turning circle seems too wide. The Lanc should be able to turn round within a 150ft diameter dispersal pan using differential brake and throttle. So far I haven't been able to achieve this. Or even to turn onto the peri track from dispersal without going on the grass. Could be me of course !

Engine sounds - some engines (though strangely not all) seem to be over-loud on startup, pretty much as if the window is open, which it isn't.

Props - if I End a flight with the engines running (on any a/c), and then start a new flight with the AH Lanc, some of the engines have their props spinning (VC view only, not exterior view), even though the gauges show the engines are not running. Some props are even spinning and stationary at the same time.

Anyone else seeing these, or am I just lucky ? I am running W7 FSX SP2.

bazzar
September 11th, 2018, 14:12
Purchased this yesterday. A great add-on, like their P-47 and Typhoon, hugely detailed and accurate. A couple of points I don't get though. First, I had to fill the port auxiliary wing tank to centre the CG. Anyone else? And second, there are visibility codes in the titles in the aircraft.cfg file. H2S I get but what are FG and LP?? When doing repaints it's quite important. Just thought someone here might know.

Cheers

DaveQ

The Lancaster is produced with several differences between particular examples. So, we control what you see with codes at the end of the title lines. FG stands for Flame Guards and LP for Late Pitot (a more aerodynamic pitot tube fitted to the nose in some BMk1s. If these codes are removed for whatever reason, the models will not show correctly.The code recognoses the title and displays the required model.

Some people are having problems with the fuel system. It is actually quite simple to operate but you MUST select No2 on each side to start. The important thing, which a lot of folks are forgetting to do is to CENTRE CLICK the fuel wheels once you have selected No2. Be careful to CENTRE CLICK ONCE. If you accidentally over-click you will return the tank to a non-locked state and it may switch back to No1 creating a fuel imbalance. Remember to CENTRE CLICK when changing tanks. You should switch from No2s to No1s when about half full. Fuel balancing was a part of the flight engineer's role in a Lancaster.:engel016:

boxcar
September 12th, 2018, 09:11
dvj- The pilot in the middle of your August 30th shot sure looks like Captain Wild Bill Kelso. :nonchalance:

Best screenshot I've seen all year... and she's merely sitting on terra firma. No doubt that it's an amazing simulation. Well done Aeroplane Heaven!

bazzar
September 12th, 2018, 15:43
It is indeed a nice model. Love the weathering. I have a couple minors:

Ground handling - is not bad, but the turning circle seems too wide. The Lanc should be able to turn round within a 150ft diameter dispersal pan using differential brake and throttle. So far I haven't been able to achieve this. Or even to turn onto the peri track from dispersal without going on the grass. Could be me of course !

Engine sounds - some engines (though strangely not all) seem to be over-loud on startup, pretty much as if the window is open, which it isn't.

Props - if I End a flight with the engines running (on any a/c), and then start a new flight with the AH Lanc, some of the engines have their props spinning (VC view only, not exterior view), even though the gauges show the engines are not running. Some props are even spinning and stationary at the same time.

Anyone else seeing these, or am I just lucky ? I am running W7 FSX SP2.

The Lancaster will turn practically within its own length if you use differential braking and just run up the engines on the driving side. Your engine sounds must be something to do with your set up. The sounds are evenly balanced. :engel016:

bazzar
September 12th, 2018, 19:35
Just for fun, here's a quick and dirty video of the Lancaster turning

https://youtu.be/emW12hF5K1I

:engel016:

DickB
September 13th, 2018, 02:52
The Lancaster will turn practically within its own length if you use differential braking and just run up the engines on the driving side. Your engine sounds must be something to do with your set up. The sounds are evenly balanced. :engel016:
Quite possible the sounds are something to do with my setup. I'll look into that. Love the clatter at startup. Question though - should opening/closing the window make any difference to the sound level ? It doesn't seem to on my setup.

As for ground handling - to make e.g. a left turn I have been setting full left brake using an external control and then maximum throttle on Nos 3 and 4, again using external controls. This gives me a good turn, but not quite tight enough (for me). What I did find was that if I applied left rudder as well, it tightened the turn considerably. The rudder shouldn't have much authority at that speed with the tail down, but of course on the real a/c differential braking is achieved by pressing the (single) brake lever and then left or right rudder to send the air to whichever brake is required. So in that respect, this is all quite realistic. Are the brakes actually modelled that way ? Reason I ask is that use of the rudder doesn't appear to be reflected in the brake pressure indicator.

DickB
September 13th, 2018, 02:58
Just to prove I wasn't imagining this. Turns out it's visible in the external view also. I'm seeing this on two different systems. If I end the previous flight with engines off, this doesn't happen.

bazzar
September 13th, 2018, 04:19
May I suggest that you contact JF's support desk and continue there? I don't think this forum is the right place to discuss this level of detail.:engel016:

DickB
September 13th, 2018, 04:31
May I suggest that you contact JF's support desk and continue there? I don't think this forum is the right place to discuss this level of detail.:engel016:
Fair enough. No Problem.