PDA

View Full Version : Dual monitors/different resolutions

Dondo
February 18th, 2009, 03:43
Anyone running a GFX 260, using dual monitors that have different resolutions? Vista/W7/XP?

I've been told that the new generation of Nvidia cards don't handle this very well. So far my experience in FSX has proved that. My old video card, GS7600 ran this same setup for years and years without a hiccup.

Just wondering if anyone else has had troubles with this.

Thanks

Dondo
PS, been visiting this site for years, didn't realize this was going to be my first post.. :)

harleyman
February 18th, 2009, 05:07
Dondo...First post in years....LOL

Welcome then ...:welcome:

I used that too in the past but have since switched to ATI and I don't have that problem, but its tricky to set up anyway..

Check back there will be others in the same boat that may have found a fix for it...

beatle
February 19th, 2009, 05:39
What sort of problems are you seeing?

One thing you need to do, is go into the Options | Settings | Display dialog and set the fullscreen resolution for each "screen" - select one screen using the combo box, set its fullscreen resolution in the list box below, then select the other screen in the combo box and again set its fullscreen resolution in the list box below, then OK out of the dialog, then exit FSX (to save the settings in the .CFG file), then restart and check that it works correctly.

Tim

Dondo
February 19th, 2009, 19:06
I don't believe that it is a FSX issue, but a Windows Vista/7 Nvidia driver issue. About a week ago, I decided to plug in my second monitor. Rebooted the PC, set the native res and started FSX. Once up and loaded, I would drag my radio stack and GPS to the smaller screen and use my big monitor for the virtual pit. After about 10 minutes or so, Windows BSOD me and rebooted itself. It had been stable until I plugged in the second monitor. Did a system restore back a few days and unplugged the monitor, every thing is stable again.

Since then, I have found out that one of primary problems I have been having with this system was a bad stick of ram. Once I replace that and make sure everything is stable again, I might try plugging in the second monitor once again.

I will have a 24" LCD using DVI with 1920x1600 and a 17" LCD using VGA at 1024x768. Can a modern day Nvidia card render 3d graphics (Nvidia 260) having that type of setup and be stable? Am I asking too much for that card to spit out two different res, though two different connections?

d0mokun
February 19th, 2009, 20:49
Beatle,

Thanks for that tip. You know if the [years] of using a system with two heads, I've never ever noticed that option.

I've always wondered why my other monitor screwed up but now it's sorted. You sir, are owed a beer. :ernae:

beatle
February 20th, 2009, 06:20
What's really bad is, I wrote that dialog box and when I went to two monitors on my dev machine, it still took me several weeks to remember how to set the proper resolution for both of them :->

Tim