PDA

View Full Version : B-24 for FSX: any opinion on best freeware or payware?

Mike71
August 4th, 2018, 06:56
I realize there are a lot of B-24 versions that were actually made. I am interested in an earlier glass nose model as used in North Africa, etc. Seems like B-24s I see available are rather dated Does anyone have any opinions or experience with what they consider decent models? Do any have a VC? I am willing to buy payware if it is reasonably accurate / etc

MrZippy
August 4th, 2018, 08:06
Hey Mike, I have read where some have bought the Alphasim Liberator. I'll also look around for any freeware products.

llanning08
August 4th, 2018, 08:07
From what I've seen, the best FSX B-24D Liberator with VC would part of the Virtavia B-24 package, on sale at PC Aviator for $17.48 ($15.73 on 10% off Tuesdays).

Cirrus N210MS
August 4th, 2018, 08:35
the Alpha sim B-24 is pretty Nice

Josh Patterson
August 4th, 2018, 09:07
Alphasim became Virtavia, so search for that. Not only is it a nice model with both glass and turret nosed versions, but the C-87 and C-109 versions are now also included. (And there is a great texture for "A Dragon and his Tail" out there!)

tgycgijoes
August 4th, 2018, 09:41
When I was flying the B-24 in Africa with the 91st BG (Virtual) I was able to find videos and pubs all free online if you search...even the Pilots Training Manual if you want to do it right. It helped me to start it properly and keep it running and takeoff being a lot different than flying the B-17G. Virtavia is a really nice package for the reasonable price. PC Aviator is a great etailer too.

Mike71
August 4th, 2018, 11:40
Thanks all for the suggestions. Just got the FSX-SE plus DLC addon. Looks good; I had the old ALPHASIM, this seems much improved.

Cazzie
August 5th, 2018, 18:54
I have the payware AlphaSim FSX and FS9 B-24s. I did it to honor a friend, whose uncle was killed in a night training mission over England in 1944. His Lib "Lily Marlene" had completed five missions over Germany and France. The Paint Kit included is nice too.

Cazzie

jeansy
August 8th, 2018, 00:09
i bought it when it was "alphasim" however the fsx version had the ugly prop modelling/animation the same animation seen on the fsx version of the CH46 vs the fs9 versions which had better of the 2

http://www.pcaviator.com.au/store/images/D/2-61.JPG

even with Robs prop textures it made no difference due to the animation in fsx

then a while back they did a free update for virtavia customers with 2 new models with revised prop animation

did they update the animation on the other models in recent years or is it still contained to the 2 newer models?

wombat666
August 8th, 2018, 05:56
Alphasim Virtavia and while the props are 'average' other than that it's way ahead of the ancient WOP variant. It also works in P3Dv3.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1488x806q90/r/924/Qcrgfc.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1488x806q90/r/922/id21ms.jpg

jeansy
August 8th, 2018, 06:24
ta, i was going to re purchase it if they fixed the props, since i no longer have my old alphasim order details

Cazzie
August 9th, 2018, 07:11
I did not like the default either, so I made a new prop blur. Do not open it, but right -click and scroll to Save Image As, and save to your folder of choice. The image is in a 32-bit BMP format, because SOH will not allow me to upload .DDS. When done, open the image in either the MS Image Tool or DXTBitmap, convert it to a DXT5.DDS format and save, then copy your saved image and paste it in the AlphaSim B-24 texture.shared folder and overwrite.

jeansy
August 10th, 2018, 00:32
Ive tried Robs (banana bob) ones he did for the fs2004 version, even with bobs textures the props detracts from the whole package

however ive seen the update models and they look 1000 times better than the original ones,

if they update the animation of the props for the 24 and 46 i would be happy to re purchase them and do a 4096x paint kit

jeansy
August 10th, 2018, 00:35
I did not like the default either, so I made a new prop blur. Do not open it, but right -click and scroll to Save Image As, and save to your folder of choice. The image is in a 32-bit BMP format, because SOH will not allow me to upload .DDS. When done, open the image in either the MS Image Tool or DXTBitmap, convert it to a DXT5.DDS format and save, then copy your saved image and paste it in the AlphaSim B-24 texture.shared folder and overwrite.

cheers however when you uploaded them they have been saved as 24bit with out its alpha

aardvark62
August 10th, 2018, 05:21
Looks like Cazzie's prop is for the old model. Your're welcome to try this one (sorry - no screenies)

Not a great improvement but I think a little better.

A.

Shylock
August 11th, 2018, 09:21
Did they upgrade the flight modeling on it? I find I need about 20,000 ft of runway to get the B-24 up. They had a cool sound upgrade for it as well.

jankees
August 11th, 2018, 12:12
I did quite a few paints for it years ago, and in some of the old screens the props look reasonably ok to me:
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/934/28748171967_0c056081f1_o.jpg

I'll see what I can find when I'm home again.

mal998
August 12th, 2018, 08:13
Did they upgrade the flight modeling on it? I find I need about 20,000 ft of runway to get the B-24 up. They had a cool sound upgrade for it as well.

I have recently updated the flight model but without permission from Phil, I hesitate to release it to the public being that it is still a payware product. I am awaiting a response but haven't heard back yet. I will keep you posted.

jeansy
August 13th, 2018, 03:40
I see now mike at flight replicas has stated hes got a B-24 in the works, so i wont re purchase it and will wait for mike

Source

First, due to numerous requests, it will be the Messerschmitt Bf-109G6. Along with this will come the Rolls Royce-engined Hispano HA-1112 Buchon, with examples as they appeared in the 1968 film Battle of Britain, plus some more present-day examples.
After that, we have the Consolidated B-24 Liberator, plus a couple more that are tentative at present, but have twin engines....

https://www.facebook.com/flightreplicas/

jankees
August 13th, 2018, 06:08
my props are better than default, but still not great, and since there's a new one on the way, I'll wait as well..
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1811/43965388902_5738ea9bb3_b.jpg

tgycgijoes
August 14th, 2018, 18:26
If its anything like the Halifax or the DC4/C54 its gonna be good. I think he can count me in when it comes out too.

tgycgijoes
August 15th, 2018, 20:14
Here is my repaint of the Alphasim/Virtavia B-24D-120 Red Ball Express from the only two photos of her in existance after being reassigned from the 492nd BG to RAF Harrington. About 8 years or so ago I did an extensive research project on the Jedburgh Teams and the Carpetbagger aircraft that dropped them into Occupied Europe. I personally knew a team member who passed away about 20 years ago who really didn't talk much about his experiences. I found after I did this one that Jan Kees also did a repaint earlier for the Alphasim B-24 for FS9/FSX of a Carpetbagger. Didn't see it earlier because AVSIM has it in the FS9 stuff. Its not supposed to have a belly turret but I don't have a way to modify the model. Fortunately its not visible unless you want it to be. The "Red Ball Express" is shot at dawn heading back to England.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=62822&stc=1