PDA

View Full Version : Bump map question ?

sixstrings5859
June 28th, 2018, 04:31
What is bump mapping ? I don't use AnKor's shaders so is it of any use for me ?

MajorMagee
June 28th, 2018, 05:29
What is bump mapping ? I don't use AnKor's shaders so is it of any use for me ?

It adds shading to the surface as if it had 3 dimensions, and was not just made from flat polygons. It's great for showing things like rivets, panel lines, paint chips, and dents in the surface.

It only works with AnKor's Shaders.

mongoose
June 28th, 2018, 07:16
Talking of bump maps, is this something that is relatively easy to add, once someone who knows what he is doing, has done a generic bump map file for a particular aircraft. In other words a dimwit like me could add it to all the ETO_Lancs, for example; or Spitfire MkIs?
Talking of which, I assume upgrading a texture from 1024 to 2048 is a bit more difficult than changing it on paint.net or Gimp?

wiekniera
June 28th, 2018, 07:19
For me Ankor shader is a must for cfs3 as it's really shows a different new atmosphere

MajorMagee
June 28th, 2018, 07:33
Typically one bump map will work for a family of particular aircraft. You just need to make the name match the main texture file. For example the ETO Bf110,

eto_u8gl_t.dds uses eto_u8gl_t.+nm.dds
eto_a2ah_t.dds uses eto_a2ah_t.+nm.dds
etc.

mongoose
June 28th, 2018, 07:47
Ah! So somewhat like the cockpit luminous lights, but a different ***_t.+nm.dds for each aircraft xxxx_t,dds file

So lets take the ETO_Bf110c4. Would the file also work with the c3 and the BoB c4? I am assuming not with the fs_bf110c2_xxxx or the gr_bf_110c3's?

MajorMagee
June 28th, 2018, 09:47
It's a matter of having the bump features match what should be seen on the model. Some variations will need a new bump map, and others will match everything as they should.

mongoose
June 28th, 2018, 12:22
Is there a list anywhere of types which already have a bump map file(s)?

sixstrings5859
June 29th, 2018, 09:09
Will wait till WOTR is released to use bump mapping. See a lot of problems associated with AnKor's shading to try it out. Glad i have all my installs running smoothly to mess with it too much. Now playing IL-2 1946 more to mess with CFS3 too much in the way with modding. Plus all the hard work is already done in the form of updates that make IL-2 '46 one of my favorites. Still like CFS3 and don't mind the graphics the way they are till things get sorted out with the shader package.I go way back to Chuck Yeager and SWOTL days so graphics are pretty good compared to the early days. I eagerly wait for WOTR to see all the new features to come our way. I'm sure it will be great ! Regards,Scott

sixstrings5859
June 29th, 2018, 09:38
May try out AnKors's shaders on a clean CFS3 install just to check it out. Off to a new adventure ! Hope it is as good as recommended by others.

mongoose
June 29th, 2018, 14:17
Try it on ETO instead as a basic CFS3 is...........basic!

sixstrings5859
June 29th, 2018, 17:15
Not willing to mess with my ETO install as it works so smoothly i don't want to mess a good thing up. Will keep it basic for a start with FirePower installed for a good measure and a few choice aircraft.

mongoose
June 30th, 2018, 06:35
Andy! So I was looking at your P-51D bump map zip but couldn't open the sw_p51d_t.+nm.dds to see what it looked like.
I think you have an He111 bump mapped?
If I understand it, I should be able to bump map with Gimp taking the aircraft t and s dds files, although I'm sure it's not that simple. Any quick pointers?