PDA

View Full Version : Really Strange Occurance with Ships

Devildog73
June 24th, 2018, 19:22
Working on putting Stuart's new King George V into all of my BPF missions, both Meridian and Iceberg and came across a rather strange set of circumstances.....

ALL, I mean ALL of my ships in Meridian install are missing ship.cfg and model.cfg files.
Some, not all, of my aircraft are missing their aircraft.cfg files also.

I have not encountered that before.

Now I am having to spend an inordinate amount of time reinstalling all of those config files......

PS:
Actually, ALL CFGs are gone: model, panel, sound, aircraft, ship; ALL anything with cfg is missing.

Allen
June 24th, 2018, 22:58
That sounds crazy!

Did you AV go nuts and nuke things?

MaskRider
June 24th, 2018, 22:59
Couple of possibilities: first let me ask, are the planes and ships loading ok in the sim or no? If they are and the problem presents itself when you are trying to open and edit the files, then is it possible that maybe the cfg files are being treated as "hidden" files and therefore might not be visible? If you haven't already, check to make sure that you have "Show hidden files" checked. I know its a long shot, but one never knows.

If the ships and planes aren't loading and you are getting some sort of error message about the cfg files being missing then maybe you accidentally deleted them all? You know how sometimes we do a mass deletion of .dat files and or .cdp files? You might check in your recycle bin and see if they are available for restoration.

Otherwise I would suggest, turning off the computer and taking a break with one of these :icon29:

MR

Rami
June 25th, 2018, 00:37
Lee,

Try checking your anti-virus software and see if for whatever reason, it has identified files with a .cfg extension as a virus or malware after an update. I had something weird happen like that once, and it caused all of my installs to cease working at the same time.

Rami
June 25th, 2018, 00:45
That sounds crazy!

Did you AV go nuts and nuke things?

Allen,

I have a hunch you're exactly right; that was the first thing that hit me as well...because I had something like that happen to me. The only difference in my case was that it ate all my .dll files!

stuart277
June 25th, 2018, 00:52
Hi DD,

I had this happen once before.

It did not nuke all of my cfg files, just recent ones.

My guess is that it is an anti-virus software update, but that is a guess.

Cheers,

Stuart

P.S. - I have found (and missed) a couple of problems with the BPF carriers, give me a couple of days.

P.S.S - A couple of the problems will remain unresolved. You won't notice them as a 400kph kamikaze, or a take off pilot

MaskRider
June 25th, 2018, 11:12
DD, Click on the "view recent activity" in your AV system tray icon context menu and see what it says. If it your AV software quarantined/deleted them there should be a record of it. And if there is a record of it you should be able to choose to reverse the deletion and at the same time choose to protect these same files from all future attention from your AV software.

MR

UncleTgt
June 25th, 2018, 13:19
Hi DD,

Cheers,

Stuart

P.S. - I have found (and missed) a couple of problems with the BPF carriers, give me a couple of days.

P.S.S - A couple of the problems will remain unresolved. You won't notice them as a 400kph kamikaze, or a take off pilot

That's a very cryptic couple of comments Stuart, are we working on something? Here's hoping!:eagerness:

Devildog73
June 26th, 2018, 03:14
Thanks guys,

Those thoughts were mine as well.....

First thing I did was look in my recycle bin, no config files there.
Checked my Microsoft Security Essentials to see if it had done any mischief, nothing there in the "all detected" and "Quarantine" sections.

When I reinstalled all of the cfg files, they all show now, so not sure they could be hidden.....

The only thing happening now, as before, is that my MB sits and spins the mouse doughnut on the opening screen and never gets to running the program.......:banghead:

Devildog73
June 26th, 2018, 03:19
Hi DD,

Cheers,

Stuart

Stuart,
Thanks, I am not going to be flying any kamikaze aircraft, so that isn't going to be a problem........:encouragement:

Take off is not a big issue either.... Some of my missions I have to air start simply because my aircraft will not take off from the carrier deck. The aircraft is 563 feet behind the carrier and on the water. As soon as I try to land on the carrier my aircraft explodes. Only with one or two missions....., the rest work fine.
Also, in those missions, if I try to correct the mission to carrier take off, my aircraft "defaults" to Iwo Jima airbase........

Devildog73
June 26th, 2018, 04:13
BTW,
Have any of you had the MB lock up on the intro screen?

If so, how do I correct it to let me into the program again?