PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a texture package recommend?

Cowboy1968
June 15th, 2018, 22:40
Good day to everyone and Hello! I have had FSX Deluxe with the Acceleration updates installed for quite awhile on my "workstation", but for some personal reasons related to the fact that my late wife got it for me: i haven't really been able to enjoy until recently. Now that i have been "exploring" it, i have found myself very dissatisfied with it out of the box. In its stock form, it doesn't seem to offer me much more then what i have modified my FS2004 installs to. For instance, here is a screenshot from FSX...

https://cpqt5a.bl.files.1drv.com/y4mvKzYx3YE3oQQdZydmJFUCpjue4CL9gpTeW-IypNNnPdWA6aqvMZzHLTL-ttgvHPDPee7VtznzT2dMOTfPQsE1mn1HmJk9eSXxXlQxcy2DE_ l9Yu0Ry2LhYCPOq8XrXnQscXPoxEA0L1EiYe1p5O5LUgW3T5zn DBP-K1NFlQyF3tRw5VPK0FXdWycRjsdqftCcRBhJL7BsKv7hb2hS0C M-Q?width=1680&height=1050&cropmode=none
FSX out of the box install to FSX Acceleration....

Compared to what i have brought my FS9 install to....
https://guqt5a.bl.files.1drv.com/y4mP6HPMSsPLUzlaxL-8vF04s62yVrwijUGSrqRrBfDZZNIyUdA2uMu2ZA6LbfPZtLdPV 6_7fw7ertfxvHwMlch7FCP0SR82epQ-CtRr-OGwc87idERVE2Kbzcg1cTtwSwl_4-QDdk3IKTLL7zCgq8yTrGSSZJpNArnuRJTLikWVQwKN__MDZqPf RXRbiGxgJlneudgt37uqbbS5qS3f4t38w?width=1680&height=1050&cropmode=none
FS2004 with modified texture from REX's Real Environment + Overdrive

Both sims are using FSGlobal mesh

I am wanting FSX to look as good as my modified FS9 install...suggestions please?

(Both screenshots are aircraft flying out of Victerville, Ca. over the Southern California deserts.)

Priller
June 15th, 2018, 23:23
For me personally, that would be FTX Global with REX for the clouds!

Priller

stansdds
June 16th, 2018, 03:17
FSX is lacking in correct terrain features and textures. I use Ultimate Terrain X USA and Ultimate Terrain X Tropical Americas and Caribbean to correct road positions and provide correct land class. Ground Environment X for ground textures, but I hear that FTX Global is also really good. For sky textures, I use the textures that came with Active Sky 2012, but this is the only version of Active Sky to have it's own texture sets. If I had to pick a sky texture set, it would be REX Texture Direct with Soft Clouds. If you use real time weather, you will quickly find that MicroSoft's real weather is no longer real weather. Their contract with Jeppessen expired several years ago, so there is no contact between FSX and the Jeppessen weather servers. For real time weather, it's hard to beat Active Sky 16.

tgycgijoes
June 18th, 2018, 05:57
I have purchased Global, Vectors and NA America from ORBX and downloaded the free stuff for areas I want to fly in. Really worth it. Makes FSX so much better. I am running a Windows 7 64 Bit Acer laptop with 25 inch extra monitor. It is not a tremendously powerful graphics card from Intel and it STILL is really beautiful. I also use REX for my real weather and textures. Also IMO well worth the investment. My 2 cents. I used to fly without it and it made a lot of difference.

Craig Taylor
June 18th, 2018, 13:43
Another vote for FTX Global, Vector, and NA landclass, just for starters. FTX also has a ton of freeware and samples of their regional products. They are well worth a look.

[EDIT - reread and noticed you already have mesh covered]