PDA

View Full Version : Boeing TX

falcon409
March 29th, 2018, 14:47
This is Boeings offering to replace the T-38 as the Air Forces Jet Trainer. Supposedly it was "Designed with the Maintainer in mind". . .if that's true it'll be the first time that's ever been the case, lol

Josh Patterson
March 29th, 2018, 15:51
Wow, that looks for all the world like a two place BD10 with some Hornet thrown in! Could there possibly be a civvie sport jet version in the future as well?

Sundog
March 29th, 2018, 17:11
It should also be noted that the main subcontractor and designer on this aircraft is SAAB. If the USAF ends up choosing this as the winning design, Sweden will also buy it as their advanced trainer.

StormILM
March 29th, 2018, 17:57
My eldest cousin who's a retired USAF Colonel/F-4E Demo Pilot & former Deputy Inspector General of the USAF has been keeping close tabs on the T-X program. He indicated to me on more than one occasion over the last year that the T-50 has a major leap over the Boeing in terms of progress and furthered development. He noted that while the Boeing T-X and Leonardo T-100 are by no means out of the running, the Air Force clearly likes the T-50 over the other designs and USAF pilots who have flown it give it very high marks. I for one am looking forward to the fly-off competition to see how they stack up against one another. Regarding the Leonardo T-100, the Israelis seem to be very happy with their variant of that aircraft.

Sundog
March 30th, 2018, 17:10
Here's the official web page if anyone is interested. Boeing T-X (http://www.boeing.com/defense/t-x/index.page)

mal998
March 31st, 2018, 05:10
Very impressive! I love their simulator. Wish our's looked like that. I can only imagine what kind of computer equipment is driving their simulator.

http://www.boeing.com/defense/t-x/index.page#/video-player/boeing-t-x-real-as-it-gets-training

DennyA
March 31st, 2018, 18:00
Bummer, I was hoping someone had released a flight sim version when I saw the topic title!

Shame the T-50 is ahead, given it's a 16-year-old design based itself on the 44-year-old F-16. I wonder if the T-50 has an advantage because it's more "mature," but if that's shortsighted if the T-X has the advantage of being a clean-slate design?

The Leonardo/Raytheon T-100 getting it would be crazy, given that it's based off the same root design as the Russian YAK-130.

Realistically, it's probably more about whether the government decides Lockheed or Boeing needs the military production funding than it is the capability of the actual aircraft. (See: YF-23.)