PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with FSX-Steam Edition add-ons

Cazzie
March 7th, 2018, 11:26
Not for me, I am happily running FSX-Gold with all the goodies, but my brother has opted for the Steam Edition. He has all of the FSGenesis 10-meter DEM meshes and FSXUTUSA and FSXUTEurope on an external HD, but I have no idea if they are compatible and if so, where do I direct the installation of the above? I tried FSXUTUSA and it installed but said no Scenery.cfg could be found in his name under User>His Name>AppData>Roaming>Microsoft>FSX? For the record I found the Scenery.cfg in C>Program Data> Microsoft>FSX. I also installed the FSGenesis 10-meter DEM for the SE USA and thought I directed it to the proper location in C>Program Files (x86)>Steam>steamapps>common>FSX, but it did not take either. I could tell by the terrain compared to what I have. What do I need to do? Any help you folks can offered, I am all eyes.

Caz

Willy
March 7th, 2018, 15:59
I've got SE and I haven't found anything for older FSX versions that doesn't work. Not saying there isn't any, just that everything has worked for me so far.

Rudyjo
March 7th, 2018, 18:35
I've got SE and I haven't found anything for older FSX versions that doesn't work. Not saying there isn't any, just that everything has worked for me so far.

I think the question is not whether an add-on program will work, but what is the proper order to go through to get it installed in Steam\ FSX.
I am also interested in the answer because I just joined Steam and will be buying a car racing simulator in which you can buy add-on's which need to be installed in the proper order to get them to work.

PhantomTweak
March 7th, 2018, 22:36
Well, right off the bat, one problem I see is that you have both FSX's in c:\Program Files . all Windoze versions don't really like you putting things there you may need/want to edit in the future, although Win10 seems to have the biggest personal problems with it.

When you went looking for the Scenery.cfg in the User>His Name>AppData>Roaming>Microsoft>FSX folder, did you have it set to Show Hidden Files and Folders? You need it to be. The one under the FSX root folder is a "virgin", or untouched version, which the game copies over to the C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\FSX location, and then edits from there. C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\FSX is where it should be. The one you looked in is where the FSX.CFG, EXE.XML, and so on, files are located, but not the Scenery.cfg.

As a general rule, if it works in FSX, it works in SE. Just a different install location.

Hope this helps a little...
Pat☺

Cazzie
March 8th, 2018, 05:08
Well, right off the bat, one problem I see is that you have both FSX's in c:\Program Files . all Windoze versions don't really like you putting things there you may need/want to edit in the future, although Win10 seems to have the biggest personal problems with it.

When you went looking for the Scenery.cfg in the User>His Name>AppData>Roaming>Microsoft>FSX folder, did you have it set to Show Hidden Files and Folders? You need it to be. The one under the FSX root folder is a "virgin", or untouched version, which the game copies over to the C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\FSX location, and then edits from there. C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\FSX is where it should be. The one you looked in is where the FSX.CFG, EXE.XML, and so on, files are located, but not the Scenery.cfg.

As a general rule, if it works in FSX, it works in SE. Just a different install location.

Hope this helps a little...
Pat☺

No Pat, all of my files are seen, none hidden. For some reason, it seems FSX - Steam Addition puts the main Scenery.cfg in ProgramData>Microsoft>FSX, not in one's User AppData>Roaming. The problem I am having is more of not knowing where to direct the installs. The FSX folder is in Program Files(x86)>Steam>steamsapps>FSX, not Program Files(x86)>Microsoft Games>FSX. And FSXUTUSA had no option as to where to point the uinstall's Scenery.cfg. REX gives one that options. Just a whole new ball game and I don't know how to play with it.

Cazzie
March 8th, 2018, 05:09
I think the question is not whether an add-on program will work, but what is the proper order to go through to get it installed in Steam\ FSX.
I am also interested in the answer because I just joined Steam and will be buying a car racing simulator in which you can buy add-on's which need to be installed in the proper order to get them to work.

That in a nutshell is exactly my problem, where do I direct the installs?

MrZippy
March 8th, 2018, 05:41
That in a nutshell is exactly my problem, where do I direct the installs?

Unless these installs were made for FSX-SE. the installers will not be able to automatically find the correct locations. Is there any chance of directing the installers to a folder created by you to install the files to? Then it would be a matter of copy/paste each file into the appropriate FSX-SE folder.

vortex
March 8th, 2018, 06:32

I know it's off-topic but I've not heard this before. I have two car racing games and you can install add-ons in any order in either of them. Which game are you looking at?

Unless these installs were made for FSX-SE. the installers will not be able to automatically find the correct locations. Is there any chance of directing the installers to a folder created by you to install the files to? Then it would be a matter of copy/paste each file into the appropriate FSX-SE folder.

The OP's brother only has FSX:SE installed so all add-ons will see it (specifically, the folder path) as the boxed edition. He should just allow them to install where they want. The problems only arise when you have both the boxed edition and the Steam edition installed on the same system.

Penzoil3
March 8th, 2018, 09:10
Open the scenery library in game. Click add area, point it to the FS Genesis files wanted. Click OK.
Sue

Rudyjo
March 8th, 2018, 10:27
Vortex....The game I will be getting is Assetto Corsa. After it is installed, there are additional cars and tracks that can be added.
From what I have gotten from Google, the correct path to install them is Local Disk(C:) > Program Files (x86) > Steam > Steamapps > Common > Assetto Corsa.
This is the same path Cazzie was trying to install an add-on, except his was FSX instead of Assetto Corsa, and it didn't work.
I was wondering if maybe what I was going to try might not be the correct path.

PhantomTweak
March 8th, 2018, 11:16
No Pat, all of my files are seen, none hidden. For some reason, it seems FSX - Steam Addition puts the main Scenery.cfg in ProgramData>Microsoft>FSX, not in one's User AppData>Roaming. The problem I am having is more of not knowing where to direct the installs. The FSX folder is in Program Files(x86)>Steam>steamsapps>FSX, not Program Files(x86)>Microsoft Games>FSX. And FSXUTUSA had no option as to where to point the uinstall's Scenery.cfg. REX gives one that options. Just a whole new ball game and I don't know how to play with it.

I have FSX:SE. It placed the Scenery.CFG, the one that get's altered when adding/subtracting things to/from FSX's Scenery Library, in C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\FSX on my system. The "virgin" copy is still in FSX's root folder.
Because of all the troubles with putting anything FSX in C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files(X86), especially in Win10, even with UAC turned off, or way down anyway, I installed it on my PC's D: drive, here: D:\steam\steamapps\common\FSX. I am familiar with installing things into FSX:SE. Plane's, scenery, gauges, effects, whatever.

No, I've never had anything to do with FSXUTUSA. I only can afford freeware. Having said that, I never allow autoinstallers to do their own thing. I ALWAYS point them at an empty TEMP folder of some sort, and cut-n-paste the results over to the correct places in SE myself.

The Scenery.CFG that gets changed is where I showed earlier, not in C:\Users\<YourUserName>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX. That's where .cfg files like FSX.CFG, EXE.XML, DLL.XML, and so on, are located. The Scenery.CFG file is in C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\FSX . At least on MY system.

Having said all that, changing the Scenery.cfg file isn't usually the way to go. Normally, one places the add-on scenery where one wants. Whether you place it in the ...\FSX\Addon Scenery folder, or someplace other is up to you. Then, in the sim's Settings>Scenery Library menu, one selects Add Area, and navigates to where one placed the main scenery folder of the new scenery. Click OK, then, when it opens that folder, showing the scenery's ...\scenery and ...\texture subfolders, just lclick on the white area around them. Do NOT click on OK at this point, just the white area. Then, after the sim automatically takes one back to the Scenery Library menu, click OK to back on out again. The sim will alter the correct Scenery.CFG file, in the correct location.

Just exactly like FSX Boxed.
SE and the Box versions are pretty much the same when it comes to stuff like this. No big secrets about SE, just changed a little, and placed deeper in Steam's folder structure than the Boxed version was, is all. Either use the cut-n-paste method, or manually select the SE location for autoinstallers. A lot have troubles finding SE if they aren't written specifically for SE. BUT, by using the cut-n-paste method, one can obviate this problem.

Have fun!
Pat☺

vortex
March 9th, 2018, 02:52
Vortex....The game I will be getting is Assetto Corsa. After it is installed, there are additional cars and tracks that can be added.

Last off-topic comment! I have Assetto Corsa (great racing sim) and you can install the official add-ons in any order you want and Steam will make sure that they go to the correct location. Freeware mods can be more difficult but normally come with instructions. If you have any problems, go to either http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php or http://steamcommunity.com/app/244210/discussions/ for more help. Back to FSX.