PDA

View Full Version : 9.1 or 9.0??

falcon409
February 14th, 2009, 16:11
I had to reinstall FS9 over the existing installation to correct some problems I was having and when I went to install the FS9.1 update again it says it "appears" to be installed already and the update quits. The version shown inside the sim says 9.0. I've gone through the registry searching for any instance of 9.1 being installed and even went to the control panel to uninstall but there's no file listed to show it was ever installed.

Anyone have a clue how I might correct this?

PRB
February 14th, 2009, 16:24
I've re-installed FS9 several times on the same computer, but never "over" an existing installation. I always un-installed first. Perhaps CCleaner can clean up the registry and make it work? Sorry to be of no help, but that's been my experience.

falcon409
February 14th, 2009, 18:40
Ran it. . .found 930 discrepancies, cleaned them restarted Vista and ran the 9.1 update. . .and. . ."It appears the 9.1 upgrade is already installed. . .this installation will now terminate", lol, lol.
So I uninstalled FS9 as much as I didn't want that hassle and now I've reinstalled and running it for the first time and I get this error message across the FS9 startup screen:

"For security purposes, this program will not run while system debuggers are active. Please remove or disable the system debugger before trying to run this program again."

Huh!!! Never, ever ever saw this ever before. . . .nothing is as simple as it would seem is it, lol. geeze.:faint:
I'm currently uninstalling again. I'll rename the remaining folder to something else and install an entirely new version and then move the remaining folders back in afterwards and see what happens.

Tom Clayton
February 14th, 2009, 21:26
If you installed over the existing one, you probably still have the "BACKUP" folder inside the root Sim folder. Try renaming that and I bet you'll be able to run the update.

dogknot
February 15th, 2009, 10:04
Yep, what Tom said....or remove the whole Backup folder.

Removing Flight Simulator 2004: A Century of Flight after updating

To uninstall Flight Simulator 2004: A Century of Flight after installing the update, you must first uninstall the update, and then uninstall Flight Simulator.
To uninstall the updated Flight Simulator:

1. Uninstall the update following the procedures outlined in How to Uninstall the Update.
Then uninstall Flight Simulator 2004: A Century Flight.

How to Uninstall the Update

If you want to uninstall the update, follow these steps.

1. Go to the Flight Simulator root directory.

2. Double-click the FS9UpdateUninstall.exe icon.

3. Delete the BACKUP folder.

NOTE: After uninstalling the Flight Simulator 2004: A Century of Flight (Update) you will need to delete the BACKUP folder, as it is not removed by the uninstaller program.

mrogers
February 15th, 2009, 18:29
Yep, the 9.1 update must be uninstalled first before reinstalling FS9. Otherwise you'll have problems if you don't. No worries Falcon, just uninstall the update as per the instructions and reinstall FS9 then reinstall the update.

falcon409
February 15th, 2009, 21:45
Thanks guys, I shoulda' gotten back here sooner but I was under the weather for a good bit of the weekend. I just uninstalled FS9 completely and started over again. I hesitate doing anything that drastic, but I was beginning to have small issues from time to time that had gone beyond minor. It gave me a chance to weed out scenery and aircraft that I either had forgotten about, or simply didn't need anymore and so it helped to streamline the installation quite a bit.
I also discovered some addons I had forgotten about (payware mostly) and so I am reaquainting myself with some old friends as well, lol.

Thanks for the help and suggestions, it's always appreciated.:wave::wave: