PDA

View Full Version : Something you dont experience every day.

BendyFlyer
January 22nd, 2018, 22:07
I posted a couple of screenshots in the screenshots section of weather in the Aleutians. Sorry no screenshots today - i was well astonished. After a run in the Sikorsky S-43 from Cold Bay to St Pauls Island, I came across a revised sound set for the default trike. great. put it in , thought I would give it a spin at you guessed it Cold Bay. Clouds was now just a few on what seemed an otherwise clear and sunny day now, nope, look across at the windsock, umm standing straight out (30 kts plus), hmmm. The trike sounds great but wind up the rear pushes it across the tarmac till it is turned back into wind. Ok, then well dont need a runway so take off here, hit the throttle, wind shifts and turns me around about 90 degrees then airborne almost immediately, bucking and rolling. Hmmmmm. This can be managed so reducing power I figure, this is no fun, back on the ground from here, turn to the nearest available runway reducing power and heading for the threshold aim point. Passing about 300 ft the trike literally stops in mid air, then turns a bit more and basically with the power set, did a perfect hover landing onto the grass.

So even when it is blue skies in the Aleutians the wind is blowing like heck and then some. Oh outside temp today? -10C. Not really Trike weather.

Just astonishing how this simulator put this all together and gave me an outcome that in real life would probably be the case in an aircraft that should not be flying in any winds above 15 knots no matter what. Some say 5. Real weather set by fsxwx. Best weather interface in the sim world imho FSXWX.

Bjoern
January 23rd, 2018, 03:09
Yeah, FSXWX is great. It also fetches weather based on date, so if I return to an old saved flight sfrom 2016 or so, I'll get the weather from that day.

Wanted to do a tour around Ireland in the JF Turbo Arrow a few weeks ago, but had to land after the first leg because the weather was so abyssimal. No icing, mind you, but the winds really threw the aircraft around, making it nigh impossible to hold a straight heading, even when hand flying.

srgalahad
January 23rd, 2018, 13:59
So even when it is blue skies in the Aleutians the wind is blowing like heck and then some. Oh outside temp today? -10C. Not really Trike weather.

Just astonishing how this simulator put this all together and gave me an outcome that in real life would probably be the case in an aircraft that should not be flying in any winds above 15 knots no matter what. Some say 5. Real weather set by fsxwx. Best weather interface in the sim world imho FSXWX.

Alas, but it also points out the flaw in simming. IRL you'd open the door, start to walk across the ramp, realize your eyelashes are frozen, your fingers numb and you'd immediately execute a 180 and return to a warm hangar and a fresh cup of something warm. :teapot: