PDA

View Full Version : Wow, noticed something DC3 C47, the extra windscreen divider

guitar0633
December 23rd, 2017, 07:24
I thought I was going crazy. I happened to jump in my old version 2 of the Jahn DC3, my Buffalo virtual version and noticed immediately that the windshield only has the side windows and then just one center divider, sweet. But my new Version 3 has the side windows and an extra divider that always seems to get in my way when I am making a left turn. I never noticed two different models of Windscreen, but I was just on YT and saw this vid and sure enough, the first model shown only has the one divider. So now the obvious question, are there really two versions in reality and what models are they on? C47 one shield and DC3 a different? I love my paint for it I found here but it has the extra divider. Wondering if the DC3's that were turned in to C47's had the extra divider and the ones made as C47 from scratch were updated with just the side windows and single dividers? Are these made in to the liveries by the painters?

https://youtu.be/i-QBOBSe2oM

Alan_A
December 23rd, 2017, 08:21
The one-piece windshield was a modification made on the postwar Super DC-3/C-117. It was sometimes retrofitted to in-service DC-3s and C-47s, often by private owners. The windshield with the divider is original to all C-47s and DC-3s. The confusion comes in because Manfred's C-47 V2 used the VC that was originally built for his C-117. It also appears on his Basler BT-67 turboprop mod. Jan's VC for V3 introduces the divider windshield, which is correct for the C-47s and DC-3s that have cockpits of that "vintage," and matches the exterior model as well. Hope this helps.

guitar0633
December 23rd, 2017, 21:09
The one-piece windshield was a modification made on the postwar Super DC-3/C-117. It was sometimes retrofitted to in-service DC-3s and C-47s, often by private owners. The windshield with the divider is original to all C-47s and DC-3s. The confusion comes in because Manfred's C-47 V2 used the VC that was originally built for his C-117. It also appears on his Basler BT-67 turboprop mod. Jan's VC for V3 introduces the divider windshield, which is correct for the C-47s and DC-3s that have cockpits of that "vintage," and matches the exterior model as well. Hope this helps.

Thanks, it helps but still a question. In the video link the first model he shows has the 1 divider, yet the vid is of the V3 I believe, at least the one he flies is the new cockpit. So is there any V3 that has the 1 divider, has someone else made a mod or conversion?

Alan_A
December 23rd, 2017, 22:00
The first aircraft that appears in the video (Lineas Aereas Canedo) is a C-117/Super DC-3. The telltales are the landing gear doors and the taller, more squared-off vertical stabilizer. Gordon (Gman250) will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it's there to show off its high-res skin and the latest soundset. From the time the Piedmont aircraft appears (at about 5:50) through to the end of the video, it's all C-47s, and those are the ones using the vintage VC with the older two-piece windshield. I don't believe it would be a small matter to alter the windshield in the vintage VC (in this case Jan will tell us otherwise if I'm off base). The more modern VC that comes with the C-47 V2 package, and with the C-117, might actually be a better solution - it's based on an actual C-117 and reflects the modernizations that were often done on in-service C-47s as well. Of course it's possible to find C-47s and DC-3s that feature the new windshield and otherwise vintage fittings. There are so many ways the airplane has been modified that there's really no such thing as a correct example. But in general the C-47s and DC-3s that have the newer windshield have other updates, too. Google "Flagshp Detroit" to see a typical arrangement.

There are ways to fit the modern VC to the C-47 V3, with some compromises in functionality. I'm not an expert in them, but perhaps other friends can chime in with instructions.

Again, hope this is helpful.

guitar0633
January 1st, 2018, 10:03
The first aircraft that appears in the video (Lineas Aereas Canedo) is a C-117/Super DC-3. The telltales are the landing gear doors and the taller, more squared-off vertical stabilizer. Gordon (Gman250) will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it's there to show off its high-res skin and the latest soundset. From the time the Piedmont aircraft appears (at about 5:50) through to the end of the video, it's all C-47s, and those are the ones using the vintage VC with the older two-piece windshield. I don't believe it would be a small matter to alter the windshield in the vintage VC (in this case Jan will tell us otherwise if I'm off base). The more modern VC that comes with the C-47 V2 package, and with the C-117, might actually be a better solution - it's based on an actual C-117 and reflects the modernizations that were often done on in-service C-47s as well. Of course it's possible to find C-47s and DC-3s that feature the new windshield and otherwise vintage fittings. There are so many ways the airplane has been modified that there's really no such thing as a correct example. But in general the C-47s and DC-3s that have the newer windshield have other updates, too. Google "Flagshp Detroit" to see a typical arrangement.

There are ways to fit the modern VC to the C-47 V3, with some compromises in functionality. I'm not an expert in them, but perhaps other friends can chime in with instructions.

Again, hope this is helpful.
Great info. thanks much. I wish I could find the instructions. I love that V2 VC. I wonder if I could just use the interior mdl file from version2 and put it in the v3 model folder. I imagine it would cause all kinds of hell, lol. But if anyone knows where I can get the instructions that would be great. Thanks again.