PDA

View Full Version : Might as well rename this Forum FSX / P3D

AusWilko
December 8th, 2017, 10:58
Seems as everything is bought in here now regardless of if it is FSX or P3D so might as well combine the 2 for a while until there is a distinct shift away from FSX.

Just a thought is all

stansdds
December 9th, 2017, 04:44
I am sorry, but I cannot agree with that statement. Although many FSX add ons work perfectly well in P3D, the two sims, especially since the introduction of P3D version 4, are sufficiently different to warrant two forums.

jeansy
December 9th, 2017, 06:43
I agree, there are some addons that are only P3D

and several developers have stated they will cease with fsx development

while there are many addons that work with both there are many that dont, that alone is enough to warrant the separate forums

WarHorse47
December 9th, 2017, 06:58
There is a separate forum for Prepar3D, it's just that some members don't use it.

It's a little frustrating at times to read posts only to discover its a P3D issue that doesn't apply to FSX.

And it gets confusing when a specific product is developed for both FSX and P3D. Where should that topic go?

TuFun
December 9th, 2017, 07:24
It's the same with preview wip shots... mostly P3D in FSX forums.

WarHorse47
December 9th, 2017, 07:47
Notice the Aerosoft AN-2 was just released for P3D only. So why is the announcement pinned in the FSX General Discussion forum?? :dizzy:

Mach3DS
December 9th, 2017, 07:50
I think the reason for this is that Most developers are developing for both (for now) and the FSX forum has the most traffic. Since the product will be for both, it makes sense. Take the XF-92A project. All my shots are from P3Dv4.1 but it's compatible with all platforms. FSX/A P3Dv1-4

falcon409
December 9th, 2017, 08:00
This is a topic that has been bantered back and forth for some time now. The answer as to why P3D topics end up in the FSX Forum is quite simple. . .the solution to keeping them where they belong is not.

The Answer: We are creatures of habit. Until the release of P3D we were either here or in the FS9 Forums. Those two have a very dedicated and active following and the Sims have remained separate for the most part. When P3D arrived it was viewed initially with much caution based on who could use it (and we will not venture there for obvious reasons), suffice to say as the "new kid on the block" it started out slow and folks wanted to see feedback from users before taking the leap, keeping one foot in P3D and the other planted firmly in FSX where they were comfortable.

Over time, and with the familiarity everyone had with FSX and all it's quirks, while they would post a question in the P3D Forums, responses were few and far between and so. . .frustrated with the lack of assistance they came back to where "everybody knows everybody" and where responses came quickly and problems were solved by the amazing brain-trust that resides in this forum. P3D users are not here to bring down the FSX forums, many of us have both Sims still installed and despite the fact that P3D has it's own Forums, unless it becomes more active you will continue to see questions posted that pertain to that Sim.

The Solution: Simple, there is none, as the saying goes. . ."You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make em' drink". If users of P3D aren't getting the info or answers or assistance they need on the dedicated Forum, then they will return to their roots.

TuFun
December 9th, 2017, 08:50
^ That be true... that forum is boring as ****! :biggrin-new:

cavaricooper
December 9th, 2017, 14:26
Whilst I do not want to discount any opinion re. separation, I find myself in agreement with the thought that when it comes to SOH, this particular forum is where I go- period. The Prepar3d forum isn't even an afterthought (right or wrong).... Apologies to any who are miffed.

Best- C

PS- Hey! Who moved my cheese? ;)

txnetcop
December 9th, 2017, 16:45
Speaking as a LONG TIME member I'm just happy this site is so busy. I could care less where they post because all of us have brought our collective experience into this forum to make it a place for answers!
Ted

Willy
December 9th, 2017, 17:26
I guess all that time I spent in the FS9 forum seeing FSX posts just made it where when I see P3d posts here, it seems normal.

(aka what goes around comes around)

kiki
December 9th, 2017, 19:16
I online have P3D but have to check also FSX forum at least for the news of the new releases. It's not a big issue after all.

Javis
December 9th, 2017, 19:54
And to make it 'worse' , there are TWO very, very different P3D editions, i.e. P3Dv1/v2/v3 and P3Dv4. I still think that an FSX forum combined with P3Dv1/v2/v3 could work very well. Not much difference, is there... A seperate P3Dv4 forum would make perfectly sense because it is a completely different animal compared to FSX and P3Dv1/v2/v3 all together. In my flightsim book it's called The Mother Of All Flightsims. ( @ the OP, the shift away from FSX of P3Dv4 couldn't be more distinct if you ask me... :) )

Anyway, i tried to cook something up to (hopefully) get to the bottom of how many of us actually and statistically 'belong here', aka fly with FSX and that's it, or just come here because it's home.

Can we have your vote, please ? : http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/108540-To-FSX-or-not-to-FSX-that-s-the-question

Thanks! :santahat:

Cheers,
Jan

stovall
December 9th, 2017, 22:38
Notice the Aerosoft AN-2 was just released for P3D only. So why is the announcement pinned in the FSX General Discussion forum?? :dizzy:

We try our best to keep to discussion in the correct forums. Not sure why the Aeosoft AN-2 was pinned here. Tom didn`t do it. No harm done. We try to keep the two separate.

stovall
December 9th, 2017, 22:40
Speaking as a LONG TIME member I'm just happy this site is so busy. I could care less where they post because all of us have brought our collective experience into this forum to make it a place for answers!
Ted

Completely agree Ted.

jeansy
December 10th, 2017, 00:42
We try our best to keep to discussion in the correct forums. Not sure why the Aeosoft AN-2 was pinned here. Tom didn`t do it. No harm done. We try to keep the two separate.

i would dare say, because the fsx version is due for release shortly, the a huge benefit i can see by it being pinned here is that people can see the pros and cons before its released for fsx, and the paints and all the other tips and bit n pieces that go with a normal release

511Flyer
December 10th, 2017, 00:50
In the greater scheme of things, does it really matter what it's called? I read posts that don't apply to FSX/A that I use, it doesn't worry me in the slightest, and I find some of them to be very interesting.

Merry Christmas. :santahat:

AusWilko
December 10th, 2017, 01:41
Me and my thoughts :dizzy:

wombat666
December 10th, 2017, 02:42

Exactly!:biggrin-new:

I'm a bit strange, FSX, P3D and FS2004 all get checked out when I log in, along with a couple of special interest to me forums.
:encouragement:

Roger
December 10th, 2017, 02:44

My mistake! I've moved it to the P3D forum and merged it with Alehead's thread.

roger-wilco-66
December 10th, 2017, 04:04
The P3D forum was created because users wanted it. There were too many posts regarding P3D only in the FSX forum, so I think it was a right decision to split ot off.

Many posts are purpose driven, and in the moment there's still a relatively large intersecting set of common features (and addon products) between FSX and P3D that result in mentioning P3D here in the FSX forum. I think there's nothing really wrong about that.

Another reason for the P3D forum to be quieter is that there are not as many people using it as there are using FSX, and many P3D users do use it in the same way they did with FSX. If there would be more people that would use special features of P3D (Sim-Director, virtual reality functions, etc) I think we would have more specific posts there.
But that will come, sooner or later.

My sentiment is that we are just in the right setup, for now and anything that will come in future.

Cheers,
Mark

cavaricooper
December 10th, 2017, 05:19
Yes, but with this "correctness" comes the fact that my Annuschka anouncement, which heralded the start of something truly BRILLIANT is now buried in a forum visited by barely a couple dozen people.

All this political correctness tends to create problems rather than the supposedly intended "solutions". Still- as with everything- IT IS WHAT IT IS... yet, why these issues are given importance is beyond a simpleton like me...

C

b52bob
December 10th, 2017, 05:52
A P3D files section was also made. I have kept an eye on it and although it is being used, some of the dual use stuff (for FSX but runs great in P3D) only makes it the FSX section. those files for both sims should be in both categories.

Just my opinion.

Bob

WarHorse47
December 10th, 2017, 06:19
My primary section of the forum is this one, the FSX General Discussion. After I've read all the latest posts of interest, I then move back to the full Simulators area to see if there are any new downloads and, if necessary, any posts of interest in the FS 2004 and P3D areas. Not always, but sometimes.

If I start reading posts (and there can be a lot) in the FSX General Discussion, I assume its about FSX and not one of the other flight sims. That's all. Nothing negative.

Daveroo
December 10th, 2017, 09:32

sheeesh ,see what ya did?...man o man..seems yer a trou.........naw im just pokin fun at ya..:adoration:

i fly only P3Dv4 now,well when i can anyway..but i look at canelos,newhawks,fsx and p3d daily,i hit the others whn i see something new has been posted.

Duckie
December 10th, 2017, 10:14
You guys know I rarely chime into these discussions, however...

I'm an FSX ONLY guy. I have absolutely no issue with P3D or its followers. And, the posts re P3Dx.x in the FSX forum doesn't bother me near as much as the poster not stating in his thread that it is for P3Dx.x. My aggravation lies in the fact that after a half dozen or more comments down the page someone lets slip the fact that this is a P3Dx.x only issue, product, comment, etc.!

If you're going to conduct P3Dx.x business in the FSX forum, which in and of itself is NBD, at least have the courtesy to state that your thread is in regard to P3D.

Off my soap box and back to the FSX paint shed. :dizzy:

Cees Donker
December 10th, 2017, 11:53

I'm an FSX ONLY guy. I have absolutely no issue with P3D or its followers. And, the posts re P3Dx.x in the FSX forum doesn't bother me near as much as the poster not stating in his thread that it is for P3Dx.x. My aggravation lies in the fact that after a half dozen or more comments down the page someone lets slip the fact that this is a P3Dx.x only issue, product, comment, etc.!

If you're going to conduct P3Dx.x business in the FSX forum, which in and of itself is NBD, at least have the courtesy to state that your thread is in regard to P3D.

Off my soap box and back to the FSX paint shed. :dizzy:

I agree with you 100%!

Cees

WarHorse47
December 10th, 2017, 13:24

Off my soap box and back to the FSX paint shed. :dizzy:Exactly... :encouragement:

Daveroo
December 10th, 2017, 15:29
Imma say this now too,until the one about the AN2,ive seen mostly only FSX/P3D threads in here,,if it pertains to both sims theres no problem to me,,but i agree FSX and P3D should be separated..if you want to post basically the same words in both forums,copy and paste the text from one to the other and then make the minor changes to the wording if necessary. the only reason i read both is that guys like Milton post here and then let us know in the thread that it will work in both sims.so i check fsx,but i may just move to P3D only soon if the whining continues.. :encouragement:

blanston12
December 10th, 2017, 16:02
So many projects have targeted to both FSX and P3D I like the idea of a combined thread, maybe separate sub-threads for tech support.

I have seen on another site where for screen shots they have one thread for all but you have to put a tag in the title indicating the sim your using, could that be a solution for our site?

Roger
December 10th, 2017, 16:30
I daresay that in the future, the P3D forum will eclipse the FsXA/ FsXSe forum in numbers of posts as did the FsX eclipse the Fs9 forum over time. However there will always some crossover as simularities persist between platforms. However it would be good for the P3D forum (especially P3D v.4) if users of those platforms posted there more often.

manfredc3
December 10th, 2017, 19:51
I agree with the majority here:

There should be a separate, dedicated, place for P3Dv4, and that cross platforms, meaning FSX and P3Dv1.2.3, should just have a reference in the subject line.

And over time P3D activity will overtake FSX, like FSX did with FS9. It is just the way things go.
This does not take away the joy our members experience in any simulator platform. On the end we all have one thing in common. We all enjoy flight simulators, and helping a fellow member/visitor out.

I love the SOH site, it's members willingness to help anyone, members that invest their valuable time offering their work as freeware to the community, and my limited ability to help others , or just to look at all these amazing screenshots.

I visit the FSX and P3D forum daily.

Kudo's to everyone involved for making this site such a great place to "hang around" and for dealing with all the evolution our hobby goes through

cavaricooper
December 11th, 2017, 03:28
Reading Manfred’s post reminded me that we are all creatures of habit... it’s just that I need to learn a new habit and check both forums each day. As the progression continues there will be less and less reason for me to visit the FSX one.

Most importantly, I wish each sims aficionados the best as they enjoy their own cuppa!

C