PDA

View Full Version : odd e-mails form past contacts

ian elliot
December 5th, 2017, 04:58
May not be the right forum to post, but im getting a few suspicious looking e-mails using addys of forum members ive had contact with in the past, ive also been contacted by other members asking if ive sent them e-mails, which i have'nt, be careful while looking through your in-box's guys. :wavey:

ZsoltB
December 5th, 2017, 05:05
I got an email from you!

This:

"
Hi,
How are you doing?. I'm in terrible condition right now and i really need help. Let me know if you can help out of this bitter experience."

:icon_question:

ian elliot
December 5th, 2017, 05:08
Not from me me Zoltz, im feeling pretty good at the moment :biggrin-new:

rcbarend
December 5th, 2017, 05:21
This is called address spoofing, and is a very old problem on the internet.
It means either your PC or a pc from someone else (with your address in his contacts address book) was hacked.
And the hacker uses that address list to send Emails.

Happened to me a few times in the past, where I received Emails supposedly from myself ......

Rob

511Flyer
December 5th, 2017, 05:50
Hi Ian. I've had the same e-mail. I guessed it wasn't from you, so I didn't respond. Glad to hear that you are good.

Den.

roger-wilco-66
December 5th, 2017, 07:27
This is a wide spread problem which is not necessarily linked to hacked mail accounts or end point computers.

If a core router or mail gateway gets hacked and traffic is either sniffed or logs are captured, you can collect millions of correlating mail adresses.

Cheers,
Mark