PDA

View Full Version : SOH A-26 Invader, the story continues ...

Pages : 1 [2] 3

fliger747
March 21st, 2018, 10:35
Really glad to see this classic aircraft having it's life extended. I think it was one of the very first aircraft that I worked on for Milton, still a great plane!

T

stansdds
March 21st, 2018, 15:07
Made a few changes...:applause:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4783/40234236114_eb8975977e_o.jpg

That does look better, but if you want to go for the ultimate in realism...

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59092&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59093&stc=1

gman5250
March 21st, 2018, 15:46
Working from this reference.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4788/27075875248_9055790ed7_o.jpg

fliger747
March 21st, 2018, 19:19
I guess I should pint out that the bolted nose section as shown in the photos is a "C" series R2800 (R2800-52W). Only originally used in the B26-K model. The WWII versions used a "B" series engine, the R2800-71/79. The B series engine has many differences, but the most obvious is the rounded, tapered nose housing the gear train.

T

stansdds
March 22nd, 2018, 02:30
Working from this reference.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4788/27075875248_9055790ed7_o.jpg

That is a C-series R-2800, but an earlier version. The B-26K used a later version of the C-series, known commercially as the R-2800-CB16/17. The major visual differences are the magentos and prop control unit.

fliger747
March 22nd, 2018, 08:07
Page 421 of Graham White's R2800 in the A/B 26 section lists the 52W for only the K model. Indeed the CB 16/17 are found in many of the current flying warbirds because of parts availability and general dependability. Some of my old flying buddies still steer them around the skies here in Fairbanks Alaska in the DC6 and C46. According to White (page 245) the CB 16 was never installed originally on any military aircraft. The K was an upgraded aircraft. The Navy R6D was sold with a DWCB17 which the Navy designated as a 52W. The 52W is considered a military engine.

Clear as mud? Cheers: T

stansdds
March 22nd, 2018, 16:56
Clear as Mississippi River mud. The B-26K "Special Kay" is a survivor and her engines have the magnetos and prop control unit that looks like those on the CB-16/17 engine. Every picture of a B-26K in service that I have seen have the same engine. According to FAA documents, the R-2800-52W is the same as the R-2800-CB16/17.

gman5250
March 22nd, 2018, 18:26
Just an FYI...

Quite frankly, it's a lot easier to model the R-2800-CB16/17 mags and PCU than the 52W, which I have already put together for this model. Once there is a decision as to which is more appropriate to the SE Asia variants I'll commit to that. At this stage, it seems that I'll now be modeling the later CB16/17 set...that way I'll have both radials in my archive for later use.

Of course, since both variants will be modeled I suppose that we could just make two distinct variants that would fit both bills. The work is already done.

You guys bump back in here with your data and I'll work things out on my end.

Keeping things up to date.

The last Windows update terminated my GMAX...as in FUBAR...so I'm in the process of finalizing the 3D Studio mesh and animations for both the exterior and interior models. That's a bunch of work, but I'm closing in on it. Any other inputs will be taken under consideration by the team.

In the meantime...anyone interested in some hyper detailed data on the undercarriage....I'm studying this very closely and taking screen caps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNs5Vlpq4Ok

That is all...:untroubled:

stansdds
March 23rd, 2018, 02:41
Here are three additional B-26K's in service in SEA. All three appear to share the same type of engine; R-2800-52W/CB-16/17.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59135&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59136&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59137&stc=1

ferondoe
March 23rd, 2018, 03:13
Beautiful work done on the B-26, I liked the video we believe the effects of rain are staggering smoke engines. a small question will you add that squealing of the brakes to rolling?
Bravo Marty

fliger747
March 24th, 2018, 18:20
I am not anywhere near a rivet counter, but a note on the prop domes, there is a dome breather hole on the very tip of the dome. A nut and a breather held in with a circlip. Absolutely amazing the technological advances in aviation and technology in such a short period!

T

fliger747
March 25th, 2018, 09:07
I don't know if you guys have these drawings or not? If so no worries!

T

gman5250
March 25th, 2018, 09:23
I don't know if you guys have these drawings or not? If so no worries!

T

You must be psychic.

I'm working on the nose gear right now. Moving to mains next. Those drawings would be great help, at the moment I'm using Kermit Weeks video as reference. High quality video...up close and personal

Milton Shupe
March 25th, 2018, 11:48
You must be psychic.

I'm working on the nose gear right now. Moving to mains next. Those drawings would be great help, at the moment I'm using Kermit Weeks video as reference. High quality video...up close and personal

These may be useful.

gman5250
March 25th, 2018, 12:06
These may be useful.

Beautiful...TY sir.

gman5250
March 25th, 2018, 12:11
NO modeling changes yet to the R-2800 C52W, but the existing looks good in black...just add grime.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/793/27142842818_12705575ca_o.jpg

PhantomTweak
March 25th, 2018, 22:08
but the existing looks good in black...just add grime.
Yes, they really do, and yes please do! :biggrin-new:

I like planes with grime. Makes them look more real to my eye.
The one's you show look like they just came out of the box from the factory. Bright shiney paint. Yes, it looks very good, but after it's first start, no radial looks anything like that. The paint on the cylinders will start to bake a bit, even high temp paint, and there will be oil. Everywhere. Radials leak. They're like Harleys :D And oil attracts dirt like a magnet.
THAT'S what a real plane looks like. Not factory fresh, shiney-new, but used. Flown. Maintained.
Mechs bang things around, wrenches slip and hit painted surfaces, screwdrivers slip, fluids leak and are spilled...
You know what I mean.
The only really clean part, I mean REALLY clean, is the canopy/windscreen. They get cleaned by the plane captain every morning, at least. VERY thoroughly.

But it overall looks great so far!
Pat☺

Milton Shupe
March 26th, 2018, 04:59
Dirt and grime are easy to ask for and tough to deliver realistically but that will change with new texturing tools.

One must choose whether to get it now in its beautiful condition or wait another 6-12 months for all the things we would like it to have, striving for perfection versus a dang'd good likeness and fun to fly.

Meanwhile the developers have fun flying and showing and ultimately get burned out or jump into another project before its delivered. Wait some more ...

Careful what you ask for. :-)

gman5250
March 26th, 2018, 06:12
Dirt, Grime and Technically Perfect Radials

The value of a thread like this for a developer is the feedback. In my case, I take the feedback and determine what is realistic for me to invest in a project. My primary work is developing future payware. My secondary projects are like the one we are discussing here, the B-26K Counter Invader.

I'm taking the feedback on which radials are most authentic, armament, paint schemes and other bits that go into the release version. In real world terms it is impossible to release a one size fits all version of an airplane.

My solution is to build the model, in this case a freeware, to a level that I am satisfied will provide enjoyment to the community in general. To do that I create the model at a near perfect level of finish, the way all of the parts would assemble and roll out the door at the factory. In the case of the K, there will be a paint kit included that will give everyone the ability to dirty up the airplane to their own requirements. Included in the PK will be layers that can be applied to existing paints to add wear, grime and paint chips for those who want to use a "turn key" approach.

BTW...Mr. Shupe is correct that new tools, PBR, particle physics and a bunch of other goodies will make future airplanes hyper realistic. That comes at a cost to the developer and end user. The developer is forced to choose which platform they will support, the inevitable backlash from their consumer base and cost benefit of their final decisions. The end user will need to consider the investment required to operate a state-of-the-art simulation. There are already hot debates on the forums about this very issue, and at the end of the day it comes down to the devs and end users final decisions as to what suits them best.

The airplanes I show are intended to inspire people to create their own skins from basic foundations. I encourage people to learn to use the PK and explore the possible. For an even more fulfilling experience, learn how to use the SDK and available tools...then begin to explore the new frontier. It's satisfying and keeps the brain cells stimulated.

:encouragement:

fliger747
March 26th, 2018, 10:24
The old joke about Radials is to stop and fill the oil and check the fuel, if it's not leaking it's empty? With modern seals etc the R985's which I have driven a lot aren't too bad though they blue smoke for a bit on startup. Last Summer we got to fire up one of Cliffy Everett's (sadly he died in Dec.) C46's. Talk about blue smoke the Mx stand used to board at the rear was actually covered in oil, rather heavily! These large (155 cu in) cylinders have to have quite a bit of cold clearance due to the thermal expansion differences between the Alloy pistons and the Steel Cylinder barrels. One reason you want to warm them up before takeoff!

The C series engines were quite an advancement over the earlier B engines. They were considerable more highly stressed, allowing higher takeoff and Mil Power applications and ratings up to 2800 Hp WEP with Water Meth injection. One of the major upgrades was to the lubrication system, with improved scavenging. One estimation was that the B engine used as much as 400 hp slinging oil around inside the engine at high rpm. Of course everything has it's costs, less heat carried away by the oil, but improved forged cyl heads helped somewhat.

Amazing these engines, the R2800 are still being used in commercial service now nearly 80 years since their initial inception! A lot of the commercial operators have disconnected the high blower as they don't need the altitude performance any more.

Great project!!

PhantomTweak
March 26th, 2018, 11:02
I sincerely apologize if I came across as complaining. I didn't mean that at all!
I was just giving my feedback, my take on the plane as it is, especially given the sentence about adding grime. I tend to stay in the VC anyway, so the outside is strictly, to me, secondary. NOT that I don't appreciate the hard work put into the outside of these planes at all. I really do. Especially since I have all the artistic capabilities of a small rock. I can't even draw a straight line with a ruler. If it weren't for all the painters out there providing all the different paints for planes, I'd have a hangar full of base models, probably all pure white, or something.

I really do appreciate the hard work put in on this, and every other freeware plane out there, whether I fly them or not. If it weren't for them, I'd only have the FSX default planes.

Keep up the good work. I will fly, and enjoy this plane when it's published.
Thank you!
Pat☺

gman5250
March 26th, 2018, 11:26
I sincerely apologize if I came across as complaining. I didn't mean that at all!
I was just giving my feedback, my take on the plane as it is, especially given the sentence about adding grime. I tend to stay in the VC anyway, so the outside is strictly, to me, secondary. NOT that I don't appreciate the hard work put into the outside of these planes at all. I really do. Especially since I have all the artistic capabilities of a small rock. I can't even draw a straight line with a ruler. If it weren't for all the painters out there providing all the different paints for planes, I'd have a hangar full of base models, probably all pure white, or something.

I really do appreciate the hard work put in on this, and every other freeware plane out there, whether I fly them or not. If it weren't for them, I'd only have the FSX default planes.

Keep up the good work. I will fly, and enjoy this plane when it's published.
Thank you!
Pat☺

Don't apologize Pat, I understood the intentions of your comments and appreciate your observations.

My post, in general, describes my approach to my development style. I am primarily focused on building the canvas for others to work out from. When I say that the SDK and tools are available for everyone, I'm really encouraging more people to dive in and learn the skill sets for the enjoyment and satisfaction derived from the process.

It has changed how I look at the entire simulation experience. :very_drunk:

roger-wilco-66
March 26th, 2018, 20:39
Thanks for your hard work on the Invader (and other aircraft or sceneries), Gordon! To me, this always has been a great source of inspiration for my own efforts. You're among those who always raise the bar!

Luckily I had no problems with the latesst Win10 updates and 3dsmax, although I somehow think that it has gotten slower.

Cheers,
Mark

gman5250
April 12th, 2018, 20:25
Update on the K.

A Gmax/Microsoft SNAFU rendered my Gmax DOA, even with a new download and fresh install. Subsequently...I've brought the 3DStudio interior and exterior models up to snuff and the project is picking up where we left off prior to the glitch. The re-boot took a bit of time...I'll bill MS once Congress gets done with Mr. Zuckerberg and moves on to bigger fish. (sorry...).

Also, I've finally sorted out the source of my constant Win10 misery. Turns out its a nifty little feature MS uses to keep their various paying errr...clients updated on my every key stroke. I removed the offensive feature, and I'm able to actually get a bit of work done. Windows Compatibility Telemetry :rocket:
More on that in a separate thread.

Back on point...
The props have been mapped specifically for the square blades, the nose and main gear have been massaged, tires are bump mapped, the radials have been poly optimized and other improvements are included. The model has been outfitted with TrueGlass rain effects and the lighting will support P3D Dynamic Lighting effects.

The model is performing beautifully in P3Dv4, and I'm currently working on squeezing the model into FSX.

A couple of happy snaps........dirt optional

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/869/41380664172_d898339f99_o.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/875/41380665732_b02b335563_o.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/881/41381071702_36938940d8_o.jpg

blanston12
April 12th, 2018, 20:47
Looks fabulous Gordon! Still waiting with great anticipation.

NAVY DOC
April 12th, 2018, 20:57
Looking Brilliant Gordon,

Patiently anticipating its release. And all your others.
Also glad to see you on board with the Jetstar.:applause:
Boy, I think you need a couple more projects. You've still got a couple minutes left on your calendar don't ya.:biggrin-new:

Thanks for all your work,
Doc

gman5250
April 12th, 2018, 21:06
Looking Brilliant Gordon,

Patiently anticipating its release. And all your others.
Also glad to see you on board with the Jetstar.:applause:
Boy, I think you need a couple more projects. You've still got a couple minutes left on your calendar don't ya.:biggrin-new:

Thanks for all your work,
Doc

Thank you sir, much appreciated.

I'm concentrating on getting this project wrapped up along with the F7F Tigercat, then clearing the decks for the Jetstar. My scenery work is also closing in on being ready for the market.

IMO...sleep is highly over rated. :biggrin-new:
But seriously, solving the piggin' Win10 Telemetry curse has changed the game.

fliger747
April 14th, 2018, 08:13
Lovely 3D work. What is possible in the sim today has vastly complicated the development and time required. Beyond the basic sim aircraft many projects have a lot of workarounds contained in .Dll's. An example is a certain P3D Corsair in which we went through lots of hoops to get an R2800 that had realistic falloff in power with altitude and a shiftable blower. Other "stuff" was incorporated, but the point is that there is probably a sweet spot where development time and effort hits most of the points without getting carried away.

The basic sim is incredibly ancient in today's environment and could be considerable improved, but the heyday of huge studios to develop high fidelity desktop flight simulations is probably dead.

Keep up the wonderful work! T

wellis
April 14th, 2018, 08:59
Thank you sir, much appreciated.

I'm concentrating on getting this project wrapped up along with the F7F Tigercat, then clearing the decks for the Jetstar. My scenery work is also closing in on being ready for the market.

IMO...sleep is highly over rated. :biggrin-new:
But seriously, solving the piggin' Win10 Telemetry curse has changed the game.

As usual, gorgeous work Gordon. I too am very much looking forward to this one. :applause:

roger-wilco-66
April 14th, 2018, 12:38
Looking better and better! Come to think, there's a helmet that has gotten stuck in the pipeline. I see to getting it ready tomorrow.

Cheers,
Mark

lagaffe
April 28th, 2018, 02:47
Hi,
Beautiful project while waiting for hours of pleasure at the controls of this plane ;-)

Switchblade408
May 18th, 2018, 15:57
Well, Special K is now in the paint shop, getting dressed in her new Southeast Asia camouflage. Naturally, I'm curious as to the progress with the sim version. Any updates?

docjohnson
May 18th, 2018, 16:29
Man Gordon! That bird looks awesome!

MZee1960
June 13th, 2018, 17:26
Well, Special K is now in the paint shop, getting dressed in her new Southeast Asia camouflage. Naturally, I'm curious as to the progress with the sim version. Any updates?

+1 :jump:

ferondoe
June 13th, 2018, 22:31
I am interested to make textures on
regards
Marty

Priller
June 17th, 2018, 06:24
*Bump* Would it be possible to have a status report?

Thanks in advance!

Priller

DaveQ
June 17th, 2018, 08:11
I'll check out my latest version and check with the team to see how things stand. As best I recall there were problems with the vc in FSX, though I think the P3D4 version is OK. I'm going to be 'out of the office' from Wednesday but will try post something before I leave.

DaveQ

gman5250
June 17th, 2018, 09:22
Brief HU.

Recently, I discovered that all of my post history on this site has disappeared from my page. I don't think it is the fault of admin, possibly a residual effect of precautions against hostile intruders.

That being said, I am unable to track any of my previously posted conversations here. Also, I am severely restricted with a broken Windows OS, resulting from the last upgrade. A new disk is en route, but I will be required to install a new HD...OS, and all software....again. :banghead:
This has all rendered me radio silent recently.

Regarding the K.

The P3D version is beta ready, but consistently crashes the sim when changing aircraft. I've been attempting to chase out the bug, but as of this time the problem persists.

BTW:
I would be extremely cautious in the cyber communities from here forward.
The dark web has become so pervasive, with exponentially accelerated spawns of bots, AI and other nasties seeking means to mine "crypto" or troll, it is evident that the web is now losing the relative safety of previous years.

Certain "actors" have no sense of integrity or moral compass when injecting their adversarial creations into the public domain.
IMO, this should be a capital offense, but that's just me thinking out loud. I have a ton of research archived in this area, but as an example I will cite the MIT "Norman" AI which was recently released into the wild. This particular bot is a psychopathic personality, written by psychopathic idiots at the most prestigious technical institution on the planet.

What that says for MIT or any of the "scholars" who pursue these repugnant endeavors is up to the observer.

My dilemma is, in part, a result of MS and other entities prioritizing their...errrrrr….security above my ability to conduct my private affairs. The result for me is that I find myself nearing the decision to withdraw from the field entirely.

G

DaveQ
June 20th, 2018, 08:37
Gordon has answered the question about what's happening with regards to the models he's been working on. I will be back early July and see what can be put out then.

Patience.....:untroubled:!

DaveQ

MZee1960
July 4th, 2018, 19:14
This Express is sweet as sugar !

https://i.imgur.com/CenpPOx.jpg

DaveQ
July 19th, 2018, 03:15
Nice screenshot! The wartime A-26's are still to be done but work has started (see early posts). Gordon still has problems with his computer but hopes it will all soon be resolved and work can re-start sorting out the remaining issues, mainly around getting it all to work in FSX! However, things continue to crop up; we were concerned that the flaps impacted the ordnance when loaded so they were reset. Now we discover that in real life, the flap angle could not exceed 38 degrees for take-off when external stores were carried otherwise the flaps impacted the ordnance....:untroubled:!!. An internal switch prevented this in the K. Oh well, something else to fix. Such is life for a development team!

Will keep you posted as we progress...! And thanks for your patience!

DaveQ

tgycgijoes
August 17th, 2018, 17:33
I came across this post and seeing some cool pics in my search adventures into Carpetbaggers aka 801st Bomb Squadron 492nd Bomb Group RAF Harrington ssshhhhh its a secret. LOL. True for a lotta years though. Anyway, I downloaded all the stuff and installed it I thought according to "Hoyle" but my FSX Acceleration crashes everytime... ok now hours later, I discover that the problem is the panel folder/gauges. At desperation, I renamed it to panel.old and copied into the folder a panel from the default Beech Kingair just to see and no crash at all. So, below is my repaint I did this afternoon and the photo it was done from, this is for MY use and I give all the credit for the original repaint of Spirit Of Waco to John Terrell which I modified not being able to find the paintkit probably my fault not looking in the right place for it. Anyway, I can open up the panel in FSPS without any problem at all but it won't work in my sim. I really want to fly this not with the Kingair panel. I tried with different textures and models and it did not make any difference. It still crashed the sim as soon as you say Fly Now. Help please!!! :banghead:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=62876&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=62877&stc=1

PS the first thumbnail is the mod I am going to do of Queen Of Spades at a later date that I attached on accident. There is also a King of Diamonds A-26C with top and bottom guns. They must have found a better noseart artist because they have elaborate playing card noseart as this as you can see is a stick figure.

Seahawk72s
August 17th, 2018, 18:15
Are you flying P3D or FSX...?

tgycgijoes
August 17th, 2018, 18:27
Are you flying P3D or FSX...? FSX Acceleration Box DVD version. Thanks for getting back so quickly.

tgycgijoes
August 18th, 2018, 05:53
I got up this morning still frustrated and started experimenting...no luck. I as you know here, have posted before if you can't figure it out yourself, ask for some Divine help and the answer was given immediately: I did a Google search for the A26 panel and came up with a post in the AVSIM forum from 2016 on there: CTD WITH SOH-A26 INVADER in FSX Acceleration. Thanks to STANS in the AVSIM forum who gave the answer to "Mr Dirt":

It could also be the panel.cfg file in the panel folder. Open the panel.cfg file with wordpad. Look for this line near the end of the file.

gauge49=dsd_xml_sound3!dsd_xml_sound3,10,10,20,20, ./gauges/A26B_sound.cfg

Either delete this line or add two forward strokes so that it appears like this.

gauge49=//dsd_xml_sound3!dsd_xml_sound3,10,10,20,20, ./gauges/A26B_sound.cfg

This particular gauge is a FS9 only gauge and if used in FSX it will cause a crash.

Thank you Lord and thank you STANS from 2016 for the answer. My A26C with the beautiful panel from "Real Old Salt" is on the runway.

Thank you too to Seahawk72s for your offer to help. I'll PM you the answer too in a minute. I'm looking forward to adding the "King Of Diamonds" to my Carpetbagger Hanger too.

Seahawk72s
August 18th, 2018, 06:34
Glad to see you have it pin pointed.
The Doug Dawson gauge you mention has an FSX replacement, it's named "dsd_fsx_xml_sound" and can be found here.
First entry at the top of the page.

https://www.douglassdawson.ca/

I changed the entry to: "gauge49=dsd_fsx_xml_sound!dsd_fsx_xml_sound, 10,10,20,20,./gauges/A26B_sound.cfg" and
the panel works fine.

tgycgijoes
August 18th, 2018, 07:58
After reading your reply here, in the "deep dark recesses" of my memory I remember Calclassics making a note of replacing Doug's FS9 with his FSX in one of their panels and I've already got the gauge in my FSX Gauges Folder. Added the line and thank you for your help. Obviously all those who are successfully flying this beautiful plane already knew to replace the FS9 with the FSX version. Just tried it myself and it works great thank you. I can do another repaint or 2 now that it works. :loyal:

Last comment here about the panel. Gauge 31 on the Main Panel the Engine Start Gauge is ALSO an FS9 Gauge which I remember from CalClassics DC6 FS9 if you want to fly in FSX. It has to stay // Commented out or the FSX with CTD. The switches on the Overhead ECU do throw but are not connected. Have to use CTRL E to start the engines. I tried to lookup Rich Murray "Real Old Salt" who designed the gauges for the FS9 version but can't find him here anywhere. The Energize and the Starter Switches are XML code and I opened them up to see why they won't start the engines without the FS9 Engine Starter.gau. They look like they should start the engines but I don't know enough XML code to know why not. Rich has disclaimers of not changing/sharing etc. so I hesitated putting them in FSDevelopers without permission. If you're reading Rich or one of you guys can contact him for his permission or his help I would appreciate it.

spokes2112
August 20th, 2018, 19:06
As requested from over at FS Developer/Gauges here is a little kit that will get the energizer/starter switches back operational, it includes a working energizer spool up sound.
This is tested fully in FSX and "should" work for P3D as long as the correct DSD sound gauge is installed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rddkw9yoqp8g392/FSX%2B_Starter_Kit_SOH_A-26.zip?dl=1

Roman

roger-wilco-66
August 21st, 2018, 00:10
Great stuff, Roman. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Mark

tgycgijoes
August 21st, 2018, 13:38
Thanks again Roman, after realizing that I forgot to reinstall the sound folder I could hear the engines start after the starter was engaged. The Energizer whine is beautiful and everything works perfectly. Now I am going after some repaints of the 416th Bomb Group downloading all kinds of info this afternoon. I have the blank all metal textures ready. I downloaded two movies from utube too and had a "movie afternoon" drooling and can't wait to do the first noseart and markings and get in the air. I also downloaded two French airfields that I will tweak to 1945 standards like get rid of the go-cart track. LOL :biggrin-new: I'll post the results here later. The gauge is super!!!!!!!

Richard

tgycgijoes
August 22nd, 2018, 10:33
I am really liking this A-26 and when I discovered the 416th Bomb Group Website I spent a few hours there yesterday. Here is a repaint that I did as a tribute to Capt. L.J. Prucha and "Sugar Baby" A26B in 1945. The 416th started flying the A-20 Havoc from RAF Weathersfield in Essex before transitioning to the A-26 and flying over to airfields in France.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=62971&stc=1 Left side

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=62972&stc=1 Right side

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=62973&stc=1 Base leg approaching RAF
Weathersfield

Here is Sugar Baby loading for the next mission

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=62974&stc=1

Capt. Prucha by the left side see the noseart

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=62975&stc=1

MZee1960
September 26th, 2018, 13:58
These look very nice !

tgycgijoes
September 26th, 2018, 16:56
These look very nice !

Thank you. I have been hopping around between the B24, A26, PT17 Stearman, and now the A2A T6 Texan I just got a bit ago. I have also created 4 different WWII AAF training fields which I will be showing in their own thread next week. Real life taking my next few days. I have a unique addition to the airfields that I think is really special I don't believe has been done except by me 2 years ago I hope you will enjoy.

Switchblade408
October 2nd, 2018, 09:46
Was wondering if there was any chance of an update on what's going on with this project?

gman5250
October 2nd, 2018, 12:03
Was wondering if there was any chance of an update on what's going on with this project?

Hang in there Swtichblade…

I'm just now getting my workstation back up to full song after being seriously hacked for a few months. I've been going through my workflow and testing what is good, and what needs repair. The K is back in play, and I'll update shortly.

My apologies to the team, and members for the delay but it couldn't be helped.

Priller
October 2nd, 2018, 12:24
Now that is brilliant news!!

Priller

DennyA
October 2nd, 2018, 18:17
That's exciting news, gman! And thanks for sticking with it despite what happened. That had to be so frustrating.

alain0568
October 3rd, 2018, 06:57
Hello everyone,

-Good news, Gman!:jump:
What's new for the Grumman F-7F?
Thank you!

Alain

gman5250
October 3rd, 2018, 07:35
Hello everyone,

-Good news, Gman!:jump:
What's new for the Grumman F-7F?
Thank you!

Alain

The Tigercat was about 90% completed when the system broke. The interior model is beta ready, and the exterior model conversion from GMAX to 3DStudio is complete with animations approx. 90% completed with only undercarriage remaining. I've been going through those files as well as the K, the Buffalo, the Abrams P-1 and other projects.

All of the files are being upgraded to PBR texturing and P3Dv4 compatibility, along with FSX, FSX SE and P3Dv3 and earlier. The F-7 Tigercat is also receiving a re-vamp of the bump maps where I have corrected the rivets to "flush".

Priller
October 3rd, 2018, 08:04
The Tigercat was about 90% completed when the system broke. The interior model is beta ready, and the exterior model conversion from GMAX to 3DStudio is complete with animations approx. 90% completed with only undercarriage remaining. I've been going through those files as well as the K, the Buffalo, the Abrams P-1 and other projects.

All of the files are being upgraded to PBR texturing and P3Dv4 compatibility, along with FSX, FSX SE and P3Dv3 and earlier. The F-7 Tigercat is also receiving a re-vamp of the bump maps where I have corrected the rivets to "flush".

*be still my beating heart*! :D

Priller

blanston12
October 3rd, 2018, 08:35

Excellent news, we are all in for many treats as your productivity gets back to normal :redfire:

DennyA
October 3rd, 2018, 13:10
I think we should chip in to have some meals and beer delivered to gman for all of his hard work on these upcoming projects!

(Only half-kidding.)

Sundog
October 3rd, 2018, 16:43
I think we should chip in to have some meals and beer delivered to gman for all of his hard work on these upcoming projects!

(Only half-kidding.)

I'm in. All gman has to do is give us his paypal address to use.

gman5250
October 3rd, 2018, 17:48
You guys, and ladies, are all great.

The gestures are appreciated, and if we cross paths in the real world we can all buy each other beers. :very_drunk::very_drunk:

tgycgijoes
October 4th, 2018, 11:12
Here is my third A-26 from this fantastic aircraft. This tribute is to 1st LT B.G. Bishop and MISS MILDRED 370th Bomb Sqn 416th Bomb Group 1945. The noseart was all hand painted all day yesterday. I find the more I attempt and practice it gets a little better each time. Here a couple screen shots and the an actual photo of the noseart I used. I found an example of a 1/72nd Airfix kit that a guy did for his neighbor who was part of the Miss Mildred Crew. The Airfix decals are different than the photo so I don't know if Airfix took license or the noseart was repainted later. I did mine according to the real photo as to me that's proof of what it really looked like.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64040&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64041&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64042&stc=1

ferondoe
November 4th, 2018, 23:37
https://i69.servimg.com/u/f69/11/50/01/05/screen60.jpg (https://servimg.com/view/11500105/2781)

https://i69.servimg.com/u/f69/11/50/01/05/screen61.jpg (https://servimg.com/view/11500105/2782)

https://i69.servimg.com/u/f69/11/50/01/05/screen62.jpg (https://servimg.com/view/11500105/2783)

https://i69.servimg.com/u/f69/11/50/01/05/screen63.jpg (https://servimg.com/view/11500105/2784)

Hello everyone,
I repaint this B-26 in its new version, but I can not make the wheels matt they remain brilliant despite that there is no alpha layer on the texture.
Do you have an idea to solve this problem? I am on P3DV4
Thank you
Marty

Roger
November 5th, 2018, 02:47
Track down the 8 bit textures and modify them. I had the same problem in FsX Dx10.

Milton Shupe
November 5th, 2018, 05:10
Hello everyone,
I repaint this B-26 in its new version, but I can not make the wheels matt they remain brilliant despite that there is no alpha layer on the texture.
Do you have an idea to solve this problem? I am on P3DV4
Thank you
Marty

Hi Marty :-)

Great work; love that painr scheme. :-)

Roger has the solution I believe.

Remember these models were built for FS2004 back in 2006-2007 and textures were often made smaller using 8-bit and dxt3 compression.

Attached is a DXT1 version; try it.

WarHorse47
November 5th, 2018, 06:27
Any interest in a repaint of "Sweet Eloise II"??

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/WarHorse47/DSC00131_zpsgco2qotp.jpg

tgycgijoes
November 5th, 2018, 06:43
love it since I lost both my custom paints whit the computer crash and would like this one definitely. Are you up tp it?

WarHorse47
November 5th, 2018, 06:51
love it since I lost both my custom paints whit the computer crash and would like this one definitely. Are you up tp it?Who, Me?? :biggrin-new: I was hoping someone had already done this one or is planning to. I don't have the skills or patience for creating new textures, but I do have the photos (my other hobby).

tgycgijoes
November 5th, 2018, 07:04
My Mildred was probably one of the best I have done in a while and when it got lost before THE NEXT DAY (I needed a new flash drive) the Gremlins got my computer, I am very down on repaints or scenery right now so not me.

ferondoe
November 5th, 2018, 12:11
Hi Marty :-)

Great work; love that painr scheme. :-)

Roger has the solution I believe.

Remember these models were built for FS2004 back in 2006-2007 and textures were often made smaller using 8-bit and dxt3 compression.

Attached is a DXT1 version; try it.

Hello,
thank you Roger and Milton for your answers I correct this
Reg
Marty

Switchblade408
December 14th, 2018, 15:33
Now that I've begun the switch from FSX to P3Dv4, I am even more eagerly awaiting the release of this aircraft! Are there any updates to speak of?

DaveQ
December 17th, 2018, 00:25
The project has 'gone dark' since Gordon's computer crash and each of us has moved on to other things. However, I said in July/August I'd put something together on the 'K' but never really got a clear steer as to whether the others would agree. I've also got some workable WWII/Korean A/B-26 models but these lack Gordon's refined VC. I will put some packages together after Christmas but people will have to live with their limitations until such time as we can take it further. I will have to get permissions from Milton and John Terrell (who did the A/B-26 VC's) and the rest of the guys but we should be good with that.

DaveQ

Milton Shupe
December 17th, 2018, 04:53
The project has 'gone dark' since Gordon's computer crash and each of us has moved on to other things. However, I said in July/August I'd put something together on the 'K' but never really got a clear steer as to whether the others would agree. I've also got some workable WWII/Korean A/B-26 models but these lack Gordon's refined VC. I will put some packages together after Christmas but people will have to live with their limitations until such time as we can take it further. I will have to get permissions from Milton and John Terrell (who did the A/B-26 VC's) and the rest of the guys but we should be good with that.

DaveQ

You have all permissions from me to do whatever you wish with the A-26. Looking forward to it. :wavey:

gman5250
December 17th, 2018, 07:20
The current status of the K project.

The K is working in Prepar3D up to V4.4, but needs to be optimized for FSX...reduce polys.

There is a problem with the model that I am trying to sort out. The model loads beautifully and will fly without any issues. However, when I attempt to load another scenario, or model...P3D will CTD. I've put in a tremendous amount of time trying to find the needle in the needle stack that is causing this anomaly. The problem arose when I moved into the P3DV4 SDKs. Prior to that the plane was without any issues. The problem persists with all of my airplane models at the moment, so it is not unique to the K.

As of this time the model is correct, with flap animations matching real world and the new VC working without issue.

The attached photos are of the model, as of this stage of development. I regret the issues that arose through this project, but these things arise from time to time. I am working on resolution of the glitch and will pass it on to the team the minute I have a reliable model.

:running:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4846/45632174534_a8365bcf54_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4874/45632171734_a3fb7ae003_o.jpg

DaveQ
December 19th, 2018, 07:49
Many thanks Milton for permission to use your original material, much appreciated. I'll put out some A/B-26 conversions after the festivities. These will use a conversion of the original VC and be fairly straightforward MCX conversions. They will sport a range of armaments from none to 14 fixed guns in the nose and wings plus dorsal and ventral barbettes. I could do with an early forward-opening cockpit hatch version but I'm not that clever...!

As Gordon is clearly bringing the 'K' to a much higher standard for P3D/FSX, I will obviously leave that alone. The screen shots look epic! Have you used PBR Gordon??

DaveQ

gman5250
December 19th, 2018, 11:01
As Gordon is clearly bringing the 'K' to a much higher standard for P3D/FSX, I will obviously leave that alone. The screen shots look epic! Have you used PBR Gordon??

DaveQ

I've spent the last week on my PBR skill sets, specifically adapting to the current SDK, which is not fully PBR but very good none the less. As of today, I am adapting a set of the K textures to be full PBR. I figured the K might be the best candidate for my first full PBR airplane.

Screen shots coming, once I fully convert the PBR model. :encouragement:

MrZippy
December 19th, 2018, 13:18
I've spent the last week on my PBR skill sets, specifically adapting to the current SDK, which is not fully PBR but very good none the less. As of today, I am adapting a set of the K textures to be full PBR. I figured the K might be the best candidate for my first full PBR airplane.

Screen shots coming, once I fully convert the PBR model. :encouragement:

It's gonna be great!:ernaehrung004:

gman5250
December 20th, 2018, 19:58
Some update shots of the K in PBR. Workin' on it. :encouragement:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4845/46351191322_af9398d698_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4881/46351192832_1463ac6654_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4811/46351192212_37dd50734d_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4819/46351193332_a506d22798_o.jpg

greenie
December 20th, 2018, 22:21
Looking forward to this - looking just great !

Priller
December 23rd, 2018, 05:41
Gordon,
Bro,

After all the years that we know each other, you know how to bring tears to my eyes! That is breathtakingly beautiful!

So looking forward to this beauty!!

Priller

docjohnson
December 23rd, 2018, 09:18
Absolutely a work of fine art!

I do have a question for the development team, is there a visibility condition/Lvar or some function to remove the weapons, and if desired, pylons?

gman5250
December 23rd, 2018, 09:32
Absolutely a work of fine art!

I do have a question for the development team, is there a visibility condition/Lvar or some function to remove the weapons, and if desired, pylons?

Yes to all of the above. There will be a clean model without pylons, and a model with load out options. Possibly TacPack...but I'll need to bring in a consultant on that. lol

docjohnson
December 23rd, 2018, 09:59
I'm your man...I'll pm you the particulars.

gman5250
December 23rd, 2018, 12:41
Best viewed in motion. Here's a brief 360 pan of the PBR skin for the K. I'm working on a longer "inflight" video today. I'll post that up as soon as it's finished.
Enjoy friends. :wavey:

Video Link:

https://www.brighteon.com/5982963103001

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7879/46386444212_4b723cb8e8_o.jpg

TuFun
December 23rd, 2018, 12:50
Wow! Beautiful work done "G"!

Merry Christmas! :santahat:

gman5250
December 24th, 2018, 02:09
As promised, I put together a twenty minute "beauty" video of the B-26K re-skinned in PBR.

At this stage of development the basic airframe skins and canopy materials are fully PBR. The rest of the model translated quite well, but will be updated to full PBR as well.
Enjoy the video and please feel free to add your comments, suggestions or questions.

And...Merry Christmas to all. :very_drunk:

Video Link

https://www.brighteon.com/5983175262001

B-36K Counter Invader in Prepar3Dv4.4
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4902/45720749994_252319de12_o.jpg

stansdds
December 24th, 2018, 02:19
Looks awesome!

Milton Shupe
December 24th, 2018, 05:12
It would great to see even a WIP release for the holidays. The rest of our A-26 world is about 10 years behind you.

jankees
December 24th, 2018, 05:51
Very pretty!

Sundog
December 24th, 2018, 09:53
Thanks for the vid Gordon, it really highlights the capabilities of PBR, especially when you see how the reflections are so realistic in the retracting flaps.

Regards,
Ken

gman5250
December 24th, 2018, 10:14
It would great to see even a WIP release for the holidays. The rest of our A-26 world is about 10 years behind you.

It's on top of the priority pile Milton. :encouragement:

The glitch is the bug that causes the CTD when changing scenario or vehicle. Once I isolate that I'm home free...the K can go to P3D beta and I can economize it for FSX. It is still a project subject to team approval, so the release will be a group decision.

Not sure about the ten years thing...lol. But thanks.
Most of the time I feel like I'm only now just catching up!

TuFun
December 24th, 2018, 15:53
Question "G", does v4.4 has bloom or the sparkle from the suns reflection?

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4878/32552983018_4c4d26731d_o.jpg

gman5250
December 24th, 2018, 16:57
Question "G", does v4.4 has bloom or the sparkle from the suns reflection?

V4.4 does have bloom Ted, and a very effective Lens Flare. Much improved...and I'd absolutely love to see the DAK in PBR.

The ChasePlane camera system I use also has a bloom over ride slider/hotkey that allows changes on the fly without disrupting video recording.
The bloom is much improved with PBR due to the way the engine renders light. For the video I used a modest amount of bloom, which seems to develop the overall light and color saturation by adding light where it is occurring in the three dimensional space. It's subtle, but very effective...in my humble opinion.

TuFun
December 24th, 2018, 19:21
V4.4 does have bloom Ted, and a very effective Lens Flare. Much improved...and I'd absolutely love to see the DAK in PBR.

The ChasePlane camera system I use also has a bloom over ride slider/hotkey that allows changes on the fly without disrupting video recording.
The bloom is much improved with PBR due to the way the engine renders light. For the video I used a modest amount of bloom, which seems to develop the overall light and color saturation by adding light where it is occurring in the three dimensional space. It's subtle, but very effective...in my humble opinion.

Cool! Don't have v4.4 probably jump on v5 and only using FSXSE for now. At about 5 fps it's not working for me. Just taking snapshots with it. I think Jan is working on the C-47, but don't know if he converting it to PBR. Manfred is working on the GCA system for it. Tomorrow will be putting together a new computer. Have alot of stuff to catch up on.

gman5250
January 18th, 2019, 16:02
Update:

The K Invader is nearly ready for beta. I've been focusing on internal and external details along with the PBR conversion. The VC has been the focus of the work this week, bringing all of the switches, knobs and levers online and adding/tweaking many small details. The VC is very close to SEA spec, with only a few details left to chase down and add to the work.

I thought a couple of shots would be appreciated.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7839/46069676284_d649dc6210_o.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7909/46794554851_597705b1da_o.jpg

Sundog
January 18th, 2019, 17:04
Nice! Thanks for the previews, I'm definitely looking forward to flying the beta in P3D with all of the great updates you've made.

Switchblade408
January 18th, 2019, 17:38
Awesome! I just got P3D up and running properly again, so this will be a great airplane to get me used to actually flying in that sim. And the guys working on Special Kay will be very happy to hear this, as well.

Switchblade408
January 18th, 2019, 18:23
Side note, if you have any questions you need to run by the Kay crew, I may be able to get some answers for you over the weekend. If I'm not at the museum tomorrow, I should be there on Sunday.

gman5250
January 19th, 2019, 09:19
Side note, if you have any questions you need to run by the Kay crew, I may be able to get some answers for you over the weekend. If I'm not at the museum tomorrow, I should be there on Sunday.

That would be awesome! In a perfect world I need about a week with the real airplane with camera and notebook in hand. lol

Other than that, the team has documented the restoration with a few hundred photos and a very good walk around video. I was able to glean a lot of data from those sources, but there are some areas that are foggy. One area is the circuit breaker panel. I know the team documented the various panel restorations with photos of the newly powder coated/screened parts. I haven't seen anything like that that documents the circuit panel. Anything there would be extremely helpful.

As the project stands now, the model is very close. I have someone ready for the TackPak code once I bring the switches live, so that is ongoing.
To be realistic, I think an FSX/P3D/P3D PBR model will be ready shortly.

Beyond that, I'm looking at this project as an honorarium to the Kay restoration and crew, therefore a comprehensive re-model of the full VC is in order. That means a second release of a fully V4 or V5 capable model at much higher model resolution than the current. To do that any and all cooperation with the crew would be very much appreciated, so let them know that I am open to that conversation. The data needed for that would be schematics, drawings and hands on working knowledge of the airplane.

docjohnson
January 19th, 2019, 11:08
Man she's beautiful!

Navy Chief
January 23rd, 2019, 05:28
I contacted Gman about this, but wanted to share with the rest of SOH who are following this thread. A friend of mine, a retired Navy Master Chief, Frank Turchi, runs the Maintenance Tech. Publications Library for the Naval Aviation Museum, here in Pensacola. Every so often, I go visit him. Went there yesterday, and during our discussions, I made mention to him that the A-26 is being recreated for FSX/P3D. He is more than a little interested in this, as he was a crewman on Invaders. Frank is in his mid 80s, I believe. Tough old guy, and takes a lot to slow him down! He is a avid RC enthusiast as well, and just recently acquired a A-26 JD with retractable gear that he has been flying quite a lot.

Frank just bought a new gaming pc this past week, and is buying P3D. I look forward to helping him get things set up. He hasn't had a fast enough computer to do much simming at all, so this will be a new adventure for him! Bring on the Invader! Frank is really hoping the following paint scheme will be included, or done soon! NC

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=66696&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=66697&stc=1

DennyA
January 23rd, 2019, 12:45
Gman, it's looking amazing!

Just curious, did you figure out what was causing the CTDs yet?

Switchblade408
January 23rd, 2019, 17:48
So, I've been beta-testing the B-26K. I have thus far been VERY impressed with the aircraft (even in the WIP state it is in). I would like to do a video on it on YouTube, if Gman allows it, to show everyone what I think about it so far. Is that alright with you, Gman?

gman5250
January 24th, 2019, 04:45
So, I've been beta-testing the B-26K. I have thus far been VERY impressed with the aircraft (even in the WIP state it is in). I would like to do a video on it on YouTube, if Gman allows it, to show everyone what I think about it so far. Is that alright with you, Gman?

Absolutely...looking forward to it. :encouragement:
Wait for the updated model...incoming today.

Switchblade408
January 25th, 2019, 19:50
This was all done in one take, with a sub-par microphone for the "talky bits" where do just a bit of nit-picking. As you will hear in the video, I LOVE this airplane.

https://youtu.be/ShjqDwGDUmw

DaveQ
January 26th, 2019, 13:44
Great work!! But always remember you can't use full flaps with ordnance still on the wings!! This was a lesson we learned during development:encouragement:!

DaveQ

DaveQ
February 26th, 2019, 00:36
After a lot of work on tidying up, this limited conversion to FSX-native is now available here in the Library (https://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=37&id=25238). It has 10 models and 18 skins and represents the A/B-26 from 1945 on, up its early days in Vietnam. Some of the paints are mine, and others are from earlier times. Basically any paint will fit but you may need to get rid of common textures. Specs and bumps are included. The vc has not been updated apart from the addition of a rather lovely M20 gunsight from ********. If you already have a copy in your Airplanes directory you may need to delete the panel folder, otherwise the old 2D gunsight will appear. Hope you enjoy it as much I've enjoyed doing it!

DaveQ

WarHorse47
February 26th, 2019, 14:49
Dave, quick question.

Many of my older paints have textures titled "_spec", whereas the newer paints have textures titled "_s". Are these one and the same? Or, in other words, if I bring over the older textures should I rename the file from "_spec" to "_s"??

Just curious. Not sure if I want to do all this but in case I get bored during the next snow storm. :untroubled:

MZee1960
March 11th, 2019, 11:45
After a lot of work on tidying up, this limited conversion to FSX-native is now available here in the Library (https://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=37&id=25238). It has 10 models and 18 skins and represents the A/B-26 from 1945 on, up its early days in Vietnam. Some of the paints are mine, and others are from earlier times. Basically any paint will fit but you may need to get rid of common textures. Specs and bumps are included. The vc has not been updated apart from the addition of a rather lovely M20 gunsight from ********. If you already have a copy in your Airplanes directory you may need to delete the panel folder, otherwise the old 2D gunsight will appear. Hope you enjoy it as much I've enjoyed doing it!

DaveQ

Stupid question of the day -
The version I currently have is in post #5 of this thread, and I believe this was a FSX conversion. What is meant by 'limited conversion' to FSX native ? My favourite is Gordon's 'Sugarland Express' - and it flies well / looks great for me in FSX already. I realize FSX native models 'behave' better than port-overs in FSX, ... so just wondering if I should re-install with this 'limited conversion ' version.

https://i.imgur.com/bRGdcPc.jpg

DaveQ
March 11th, 2019, 12:10
The version I currently have is in post #5 of this thread, and I believe this was a FSX conversion. What is meant by 'limited conversion' to FSX native ? My favourite is Gordon's 'Sugarland Express' - and it flies well / looks great for me in FSX already. I realize FSX native models 'behave' better than port-overs in FSX, ... so just wondering if I should re-install with this 'limited conversion ' version.

This is a conversion of the original to FSX-native but lacks an up-to-date cockpit. It has bump maps and spec files that enhance the external view and the props and glass behave properly (no pun intended!!). There are also ten different models to play with. But I suggest that if you're happy with what you have, stick with it. Alternatively save it somewhere safe and try this one out. Nice screenshot by the way!

DaveQ

MZee1960
March 11th, 2019, 12:47
Thanks, Dave !

I think I will take your advice and save my current one to the desktop, as backup, and then try this one.

You had me at 'spec and bumps that enhance the external view' . :encouragement:

After seeing Gordon's latest post pics here, below, ... my appetite for aluminum skins just increased 100 fold, lol !

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/114359-Offline-for-a-few-days-dead-power-supply?p=1177775&viewfull=1#post1177775

Navy Chief
March 12th, 2019, 13:11
Where is this scenery? Thanks, NC

gray eagle
March 12th, 2019, 13:47
Where is this scenery? Thanks, NC

Hi Pete,

Looks like Monterey Ca airport - orbx has a scenery file for this.

http://c-aviation.net/review/monterey-regional-airport-orbx-review-6/

(http://c-aviation.net/review/monterey-regional-airport-orbx-review-6/)

MZee1960
March 12th, 2019, 15:15
Yes, it's Orbx's Monterey, indeed . :adoration:

FlyingsCool
March 15th, 2019, 09:39
My latest paint job I've been working on. Just looking for more stencil documentation at this point. Collings' "My Mary Lou", currently under reconstruction, after having suffered a serious crash in 1993.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=68062&stc=1
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=68063&stc=1
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=68066&stc=1
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=68065&stc=1

Oops, Tondelayo slipped in there, too.... For the RCBS model... Don't know if I'll be able to release that one...

jankees
March 17th, 2019, 02:31
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7827/46678387674_be61fdb1c9_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2e7NWpu)jk8996 (https://flic.kr/p/2e7NWpu)

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7845/46678387564_5cf4eaf59a_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2e7NWnA)jk8997 (https://flic.kr/p/2e7NWnA)

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7802/40436116863_919f8666ae_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/24BcELF)jk9006 (https://flic.kr/p/24BcELF)

DC1973
March 17th, 2019, 04:55
Beautiful work as always Jankees!

Navy Chief
March 17th, 2019, 06:31
A friend of mine is working on this Calspan Corp. B-26 repaint. This aircraft was contracted by the govt.to provide training at USNTPS. At the time, I was working in the AME shop of the USNTPS Maintenance Division. I managed to get a ride in it. Nice. NC

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=68100&stc=1
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=68099&stc=1
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=68101&stc=1

jankees
March 17th, 2019, 09:07
just uploaded these three:
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7813/33528615258_771f6aed75_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/T5NVcq)jk9053 (https://flic.kr/p/T5NVcq)

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7805/40439078963_6d8bfe8d36_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/24BsRin)jk9038 (https://flic.kr/p/24BsRin)

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7829/32462717367_38de4fb5d3_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/RsBUTz)jk9057 (https://flic.kr/p/RsBUTz)

WarHorse47
March 17th, 2019, 18:21
Cool repaints. Thanks, Jankees. Looking forward to yours, FlyingsCoool.

Still hoping someone might look at doing "Sweet Eloise II (https://www.a-26invader.com/)"? I have some good photos if needed.

https://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/WarHorse47/DSC00131_zpsgco2qotp.jpg

jankees
March 24th, 2019, 08:15
If you have good pics...
meanwhile, turns out Dinah Might was actually an A-26C, with different noseart on either side:
Dinah Might on the right:
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7864/46733695744_bf36b3833c_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2ecGpyU)jk9135 (https://flic.kr/p/2ecGpyU)

Rickey Tick II on the left:
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7844/46733695874_100f1ef86a_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2ecGpB9)jk9133 (https://flic.kr/p/2ecGpB9)

and did a few more:
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7840/46733695614_43f1d18e59_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2ecGpwE)jk9138 (https://flic.kr/p/2ecGpwE)

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7851/46733696174_c08588ff67_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2ecGpGj)jk9127 (https://flic.kr/p/2ecGpGj)

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7860/46733696444_c94703fb63_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2ecGpLY)jk9123 (https://flic.kr/p/2ecGpLY)

WarHorse47
March 24th, 2019, 08:28
If you have good pics...
Yeah, I have a few..

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/WarHorse47/Sweet%20Eloise%20II/DSC01502_zps5oe9jmyy.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/WarHorse47/Sweet%20Eloise%20II/DSC00132_zps7lpnud72.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/WarHorse47/Sweet%20Eloise%20II/DSC01484_zps2gir03jm.jpg

https://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/WarHorse47/Sweet%20Eloise%20II/DSC00202_cropped_02_zpszokjmesq.jpg

Anything particular??

jankees
March 24th, 2019, 09:15
Good pics of the nose art on both sides, the rest looks relatively simple

mercure
March 24th, 2019, 09:38
Hello Jankees,
I know it's a little off-topic but please which scenery are you using for the pics of Dina Might?
Is it a combo of different package, the autogen looks amazing!!
Thanks

jankees
March 24th, 2019, 22:59
Hello Jankees,
I know it's a little off-topic but please which scenery are you using for the pics of Dina Might?
Is it a combo of different package, the autogen looks amazing!!
Thanks
in the first pics I posted it is a freeware photoreal package of Belgium, the second series is above Sweden from ORBX

Bomber_12th
March 25th, 2019, 17:00
I'd really love to see a repaint of "Sweet Eloise II" as well. The most recent restoration and paintwork on that aircraft was just completed early last year.

As its website details, it is one of the highest-time combat vet warbirds flying today, with over 1800 documented combat hours flown. It is painted in the markings it had originally when it was the personal aircraft of the 730th Bomb Squadron Commander, Charles H. Howe, at Pusan, South Korea in 1951, who named the aircraft "Sweet Eloise" after his wife. It is also configured as it was during the Korean War, with the gun turrets removed.

A great many detail photos of the aircraft here:
https://www.a-26invader.com/military-history-1
https://www.a-26invader.com/restoration

mercure
March 27th, 2019, 10:04
Thks Jankees, looks really good!

Milton Shupe
March 29th, 2019, 16:25
As always, great artistry Jankees; thank you :applause:

jankees
April 7th, 2019, 06:15
First attempt:
https://live.staticflickr.com/7824/47556141091_f069977536_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2fsnDV6)jk9177 (https://flic.kr/p/2fsnDV6)

https://live.staticflickr.com/7847/47556136311_91e15136cb_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2fsnCuF)jk9185 (https://flic.kr/p/2fsnCuF)

https://live.staticflickr.com/7818/47556135941_3a685dc209_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2fsnCoi)jk9193 (https://flic.kr/p/2fsnCoi)
I continue next weekend

WarHorse47
April 7th, 2019, 06:53
Beautiful, Jankees.. :encouragement:

jankees
April 13th, 2019, 07:21
I continue:
better visibility for the nose art:
https://live.staticflickr.com/7919/47546574172_aa2edf46e3_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2frwC1d)jk9213 (https://flic.kr/p/2frwC1d)

and I've added some exhaust stains:
https://live.staticflickr.com/7824/47599653341_d0b900aa21_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2fwdEAi)jk9225 (https://flic.kr/p/2fwdEAi)

any remarks, or can I upload?

and while I was at it I thought I'd include some spare parts:
https://live.staticflickr.com/7910/47546573772_0a45d68b14_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2frwBTj)jk9238 (https://flic.kr/p/2frwBTj)

https://live.staticflickr.com/7823/47546573932_b81ae22fd9_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2frwBW5)jk9230 (https://flic.kr/p/2frwBW5)

jankees
April 14th, 2019, 11:49
https://live.staticflickr.com/7891/46882935444_7d89f4b1bc_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2eqTikb)jk0061 (https://flic.kr/p/2eqTikb)

jankees
April 16th, 2019, 06:40
https://live.staticflickr.com/7919/46691334055_cf20d342f1_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2e8XhUX)jk0042 (https://flic.kr/p/2e8XhUX)

WarHorse47
April 16th, 2019, 08:14
any remarks, or can I upload?

They all look great. Will "Sweet Eloise II" work with the non-turret model??

You can upload anytime. Thanks much. :loyal:

DaveQ
April 16th, 2019, 11:13
No reason why not. All the models use the same textures. Just change the model call in the aircraft.cfg variant entry.

DaveQ

mal998
April 17th, 2019, 08:30
I hope this question has not been asked before but has the VC ever been updated? The current version looks pretty dated.

Priller
April 17th, 2019, 08:49
I hope this question has not been asked before but has the VC ever been updated? The current version looks pretty dated.

It has been, but the files have been lost through a horrible mishap that one of the people on the team has had.

Priller

DaveQ
April 17th, 2019, 10:22
A new vc was in preparation for the B-26K; we got as far as getting it ready for P3D but it wouldn't compile for FSX for some reason. My hope was that, once the K was out, a similar level of upgrade could be applied to the earlier models. I made a decision to seek approval to publish what we had, warts and all, rather than shelve the project till all was complete, in case that was never achieved. Maybe one day.....

DaveQ

mal998
April 17th, 2019, 15:36
Yes, I am aware of the bad luck that befell our comrade. I just didn't realize that the VC was one of the projects lost. Hopefully the VC will be resurrected at some point as the B-26 is a beautiful aircraft that deserves a matching interior. I for one would welcome whatever VC was on the verge of being released, warts and all. Thanks to all who were involved on that project even though it met an untimely demise.

WarHorse47
April 22nd, 2019, 17:54
Time to bump this up.. :bump::bump:

jankees
April 23rd, 2019, 04:59
They all look great. Will "Sweet Eloise II" work with the non-turret model??

You can upload anytime. Thanks much. :loyal:

I finally found time to upload my last paints, and yes, Eloise does work without a turret:
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/47624405452_0d1887403b_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2fypwwQ)jk0071 (https://flic.kr/p/2fypwwQ)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/47624405632_c3536c77f8_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2fypwzW)jk0068 (https://flic.kr/p/2fypwzW)

DaveQ
April 25th, 2019, 05:35
Uploaded today, along with a repaint of 89075 from VU-3 at China Lake. Some 150 JD-1's were supplied to the U.S. Navy and in use up until the early 1960's. The majority were from cancelled RAF orders, others from surplus stock. They were used by 7 utility squadrons for a number of secondary roles, including Ryan Firebee drone control and for target towing. Most were modified with a new observation station in a glazed nose.

Also uploaded a modification to the bomb door switch in the vc to enable the doors to be opened from the panel - this applies to all military models with functioning bomb doors.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=68729&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=68730&stc=1

DaveQ

TiAr
April 25th, 2019, 14:30
Great to see a JD-1. Very nice model and thank you very much.

I did the USAF equivalent, a DB-26C. 44-35666 assigned to the Air Missile Development Command at Holloman AFB. Day Orange was applied to all of the Drone Carriers in 1959. I will create a Ryan XQ-2C and a Q-2A drone for this model. I think I can do something similar to your JD-1.

https://up.picr.de/35608037ik.jpg

https://up.picr.de/35608038bz.jpg

Thomas

docjohnson
April 25th, 2019, 15:56
Outstanding work! Love the idea of DB-26 with drones.

FlyingsCool
April 26th, 2019, 06:32
Wow! Both are gorgeous! Thank you!

Switchblade408
April 28th, 2019, 18:10
Has anyone thought to try any On Mark executive conversion models?

delta_lima
April 28th, 2019, 20:25
Hello Milton and team,

Thanks for this lovely iteration of the '26. Dave, your JD-1 has me written all over it - many kind thanks, that was a lovely surprise. Likewise, I look forward to the DB-26, will be the perfect commuter between Holloman and Edwards... :)

Thanks so much to all!

dl

FlyingsCool
April 29th, 2019, 08:46
Has anyone thought to try any On Mark executive conversion models?

I believe that's what Gman was working on when his tragedy happened. And now he just suffered another... :(

TiAr
April 30th, 2019, 13:58
First flight in simulator. Minor corrections on underwing struts and Firebee model and texture working have to be done.

It shows USAF drone controller DB-26C with Ryan Firebee AQM-34A and ballast water tank. I modified model with MCX a bit to get 2 crew and opening bomb doors. Hope it is ok for A-26 Team. Model itself on shots is compiled with FSXA SDK, but works great with P3D4.5 too. The Firebee addon itself is a compromise between good looking and frame friendly development.

https://up.picr.de/35646584ez.jpg

https://up.picr.de/35646586dn.jpg

https://up.picr.de/35646585vn.jpg

Thomas

FlyingsCool
April 30th, 2019, 14:19
First flight in simulator. Minor corrections on underwing struts and Firebee model and texture working have to be done.

It shows USAF drone controller DB-26C with Ryan Firebee AQM-34A and ballast water tank. I modified model with MCX a bit to get 2 crew and opening bomb doors. Hope it is ok for A-26 Team. Model itself on shots is compiled with FSXA SDK, but works great with P3D4.5 too. The Firebee addon itself is a compromise between good looking and frame friendly development.

https://up.picr.de/35646584ez.jpg

https://up.picr.de/35646586dn.jpg

https://up.picr.de/35646585vn.jpg

Thomas

Incredible

Victory103
April 30th, 2019, 15:07
Very cool mod, I wonder if it can be converted into an AI model similar to the BQM-74 found on the Vol.3 Razbam EA-7, one could launch the drone.

jankees
April 30th, 2019, 20:52
Wow, very cool!

DaveQ
April 30th, 2019, 21:07
That's fabulous TiAr!! Thank you so much for doing this. Please feel free to hang them on the JD-1. Navy Chief will be well pleased I imagine. When I did the JD-1 I assumed the bomb doors were fixed; I didn't find enough detailed information to be sure.

DaveQ

nschley
May 1st, 2019, 03:42
Very nice models! :applause:

I think an interesting variant would also be the French night fighter version B-26N with an British Mk.X radar
See for example: https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/9767/france-turned-the-b-26-invader-into-a-colonial-night-fighter

(https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/9767/france-turned-the-b-26-invader-into-a-colonial-night-fighter)

TiAr
May 1st, 2019, 12:37
https://up.picr.de/35656452ne.jpg

JD-1 drone controller of DaveQ´s model with NAVY BQM-34A. Suspensions of the drone and tank are different to DB-26C of USAF.

Thomas

Josh Patterson
May 1st, 2019, 12:52
Very nice! Both versions look great. Could four of these Firebees be added to Captain Sim's C-130 to make the DC-130? (Another very colorful bird!)

DaveQ
May 1st, 2019, 23:51
Looks great! Is there any chance you could let me have a copy please? I'm converting this to P3Dv4.4/PBR to give a more realistic sheen to the paintwork.

Many thanks for your work!

DaveQ

PS - my modelling skills are limited to 'cut and shut' atm, so doing things such as stretching the nose for civil and Mk.10 AI radars is still a distant dream...!

Sundog
May 2nd, 2019, 09:17
Those Firebee toting A-26s look amazing. Nice work. :encouragement:

FlyingsCool
May 2nd, 2019, 11:01
I should have sent this sooner, and it certainly looks like you have all the information you need on the quail and A-26, but, just in case, there's a ton of info at this site on both vehicles, and many, many others...

http://aviationarchives.blogspot.com/2017/02/mcdonnell-gam-72-adm-20-quail-technical.html

http://aviationarchives.blogspot.com/2017/02/mcdonnell-gam-72-adm-20-quail-station.html (http://aviationarchives.blogspot.com/2017/02/mcdonnell-gam-72-adm-20-quail-technical.html)

TiAr
May 2nd, 2019, 11:03
Thank you very much for your nice comments. I will send the jd-1 mod to you, DaveQ the next days. The DB-26C will be published the next days. I am just working on a second repaint.

Some people just ask me to put the drones to other aircrafts. I am very sorry, this is not possible without having a permission to do that. Remember, to modify or add parts to models I have to compile it again, says change a work of another developer/company etc. This is not a question of freeware or payware. We all have to respect this, too.

Thomas

jankees
May 4th, 2019, 02:46
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/40804545503_6a5043f6c9_h.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/40804545033_10a6db2811_h.jpg

Postbaer61
May 4th, 2019, 04:35
Thank you very much for your nice comments. I will send the jd-1 mod to you, DaveQ the next days. The DB-26C will be published the next days. I am just working on a second repaint.

Some people just ask me to put the drones to other aircrafts. I am very sorry, this is not possible without having a permission to do that. Remember, to modify or add parts to models I have to compile it again, says change a work of another developer/company etc. This is not a question of freeware or payware. We all have to respect this, too.

Thomas

There is a way to add an object to an aircraft.
But unfortunately only for P3Dv4+ users.
You could add an seperate object with the freewaretool
Lorby-SI "PayloadManagerX" (Prepar3D V4.2/4.3 /4.4 only) without touching the model file.
Here an example.
I have build a radardome for the Carenado Fa50 as a category=SimpleObject and have placed it into the simobject/misc folder.
You could choose your own objects or weapons and add them to your selected aircraft.
Like on this screeny.

https://i.imgur.com/v7yNuvj.jpg

TiAr
May 5th, 2019, 14:56
Postbear61, Lorby´s tool is really nice. But this is not my intension here.

Anyway, I finished a third modified model with a new Q-2A and AQM-34A under its wings.

https://up.picr.de/35691627pr.jpg

Thomas

Postbaer61
May 5th, 2019, 15:32
Yes I see, Thomas. It was only a thought, no prob.
Really great job , you are doing here with the extensions
of the SOH Invaders models.

gman5250
July 30th, 2019, 15:02
I've been able to re-construct the K-Invader and A-26 Invader from partial file recoveries. I was lucky enough to recover my original A-26 Photoshop files and build new libraries. I've also painted a new skin for Special Kay. I don't want to step on any toes with ongoing projects, so I'll keep my data in the queue for anyone interested in accessing my work. These photos are of the PBR version of "Kay".

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48417467422_99ce1ff703_o.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48417314956_301f922a14_o.jpg

gman5250
July 30th, 2019, 15:14
These skins are from the original 4K art I did for Miltons Invader in 2011. This is an example of how any skin can be upgraded to PBR with amazing results. It's a simple process and one I highly recommend for those interested.
BTW, the FSX skins are almost as good as these, so don't feel left out if you are not P3D inclined.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48418102426_4324a47c30_o.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48418253842_72337a171b_o.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48418102596_3b102465d1_o.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48418102736_eca09728c8_o.jpg

jamminjames
July 30th, 2019, 15:22
WOW!!! That's talent....

Switchblade408
July 30th, 2019, 16:12
That "Special Kay" is looking FABULOUS! Wait till the guys see it!

Priller
July 30th, 2019, 23:55
Gordon,

That is simply brilliant! You have a tendency to outdo yourself time and time again!

Priller

DaveQ
July 31st, 2019, 02:10
Looking forward to the 'K' very much, having spent so much time on the project myself, it will be marvellous to see it out there and done. I'm particularly looking forward to the completed vc which was looking outstanding in P3D - hope it is now done for FSX as well. Maybe, if you're playing with the A-26, there will be a new vc for that as well??

Best regards

DaveQ

Brytskiva
July 31st, 2019, 07:24
That looks really really good ! :)

MZee1960
August 1st, 2019, 12:27
She looks absolutely spectacular, Gordon !

The Invader is definitely a big favorite in the sim community. I couldn't help but notice that this thread from 2017, now has 423 replies and over 78,300 views ! I never get tired of flying this beauty. :adoration:

TiAr
August 1st, 2019, 13:17
Since Februar 2019 we have the N500MR, a A-26B under restauration at Meier Motors in Bremgarten EDTG/Germany. Came from Greece. New owner is a german company. Hope, I will see the Invader flying in Germany in some days. I never saw one...

http://meiermotors.com/index.php/aircraft/douglas-a-26-invader or in Latest News

Thomas

docjohnson
August 2nd, 2019, 11:28
Outstanding!

Switchblade408
August 10th, 2019, 17:43
https://youtu.be/lUV9EPdy7_A

Just alleviating some boredom by bringing the K-model out for a test. Those R-2800s sure sound nice.

gman5250
August 10th, 2019, 17:54
Special Kay Is In The House....err...well....Hangar

Here's the current status of the A-26K and the A-26B&C WIP models as they are being re-constructed. I've been working with the Special Kay team and refining the K interior and exterior models, more on that later. Because the K, B and C models share so many common components, I figured it would be logical to upgrade Milton's original mesh as well, so...I'll be releasing that set as well, pending his approval...of course.

The models are near beta and working extremely well in P3D. I haven't really increased any poly counts significantly, so I don't anticipate any problems with the models in FSX.

The Amazing Thing...
This is an example of how "old" mesh and skins will translate into P3Dv4.5 PBR. With the exception of the SEA camo specific to "Kay, all of these skins were created by me in 2012. The have translated beautifully into V4.5 PBR, requiring only the removal of the original alpha channels, replacing them with the metal textures/channels required by PBR. Skinners should take note that all of their old skins can and will translate to PBR in models that have been upgraded for compatibility. For my conversions, I used my recovered 2012 PK, which included the "worn" layers that easily adapted as "metal" textures, replacing the old alphas. It's simple and logical once the channel structure is understood. Actually the workflow is more logical and intuitive the the old methods we used for years.

The screen caps showed the airplanes fairly well, but the PBR skins just cannot be appreciated fully unless shown in motion. I'll follow this video with some aerial "beauty" video as well.
Pay particular attention to the subtle nuance of the wear on the metal and painted skins. It's trick...

IF you have good speakers, you might want to grab a beer and crank it up. Enjoy....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flP_P8Mp0W8&t=7s

Panther_99FS
August 10th, 2019, 18:55
I was blessed enough to see 'Special Kay' in person about 2 months ago...

delta_lima
August 10th, 2019, 20:47
I was blessed enough to see 'Special Kay' in person about 2 months ago...

Panther!! Good to see you around. Miss you, amigo. Your “panthered” landing screenshots were epic. Inside joke that I’m sure the old hands here recall...:wink:

Hope you’re doing well.

Daniel

ejoiner
August 10th, 2019, 20:52
This looks absolutely awesome! Now with all that heavy weaponry, is it possible to (please!) tacpack enable this bird? The nose mounted MGs alone would make that a rush.

gman5250
August 11th, 2019, 05:02
I posted up a 4K version of the video as well. If you have HD this is the one to watch. :encouragement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkASKx1Zrgo&t=9s

Brytskiva
August 11th, 2019, 05:55
I posted up a 4K version of the video as well. If you have HD this is the one to watch. :encouragement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkASKx1Zrgo&t=9s

Yes !! Fantastic !!!:bump: :applause:

blanston12
August 11th, 2019, 07:38
Looking amazing Gordon. Do you have any previews of the VC yet?

I hope we will see a 'modernized' civilian version to represent surplus aircraft that are currently in civilian hands.

gman5250
August 11th, 2019, 08:57
Do you have any previews of the VC yet? I hope we will see a 'modernized' civilian version to represent surplus aircraft that are currently in civilian hands.

The next video with aircraft in flight will have the VC, at its current stage of development. This one is basically the restored "Kay" reproduction. I might look at a modern VC, but I am re-constructing the four Tigercat VC variants that were lost with my data. Top of the list is the Jetstar, then an Invader B&C cockpit. When Winter hits, I'll be doing the dev work full time again, but right now I'm still restoring redwood outside while the sun is up and the weather is good.

The B&C models are very similar to the K, so those should use common mesh, instruments and code. That'll make for an easier project. TacPack is on the table too. :encouragement:

stansdds
August 11th, 2019, 09:56
I really appreciate models featuring a more modern, restored cockpit. Just using the freeware FS9/FSX GNS-430 or 530 plus a transponder and, space permitting, a secondary Com radio is all that's really needed.

gman5250
August 11th, 2019, 10:10
I really appreciate models featuring a more modern, restored cockpit. Just using the freeware FS9/FSX GNS-430 or 530 plus a transponder and, space permitting, a secondary Com radio is all that's really needed.

The Special Kay team are installing Garmin G5 HSI and ADI now. That will be represented in the VC...hopefully. I actually have a few radios set up as pop-up window views using hot keys. I can pop up a Garmin, F-18 style HUD and a basic radio stack when I want to "cheat" a tiny bit. Mainly IFR flying but handy for VFR navigation on long flights. Those are in the beta K model now.

docjohnson
August 11th, 2019, 19:15
Awesome!!!

gman5250
September 13th, 2019, 14:36
Bump and an Update:

Tomorrow AM I will be going in for the first of two full knee replacement surgeries. The second procedure will be done in approx. three months. What that means, in pragmatic terms is that I will be spending the next six months re-habing and bringing the new equipment up to speed...so to speak. :encouragement:

My focus in this time period will be on rebuilding my research database and...drum rolllllll...MODELING AIRPLANES !

The lineup continues with the Jetstar project (ongoing), then the K Invader, the F7F Tigercats and the Abrams Explorer. Also, Mr. Shupe has graciously granted me full permission to release the B&C Invaders for P3D, including the V4 PBR variants. I've got research material on the way for the cockpit variants...B, C & K models, so these will be fairly comprehensive releases.

Once I'm past the first couple days of recovery I'll bump back in with another update...and some video.

A small preview of the B/C VC modeling process. It's a WIP, but coming along nicely.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48728910168_fc070d7420_o.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48728679463_ab74e3781d_o.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48728909983_f2804a5567_o.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48728910088_25f414248e_o.jpg

blanston12
September 13th, 2019, 14:51
Bump and an Update:

Tomorrow AM I will be going in for the first of two full knee replacement surgeries. The second procedure will be done in approx. three months. What that means, in pragmatic terms is that I will be spending the next six months re-habing and bringing the new equipment up to speed...so to speak. :encouragement:

My focus in this time period will be on rebuilding my research database and...drum rolllllll...MODELING AIRPLANES !

The lineup continues with the Jetstar project (ongoing), then the K Invader, the F7F Tigercats and the Abrams Explorer. Also, Mr. Shupe has graciously granted me full permission to release the B&C Invaders for P3D, including the V4 PBR variants. I've got research material on the way for the cockpit variants...B, C & K models, so these will be fairly comprehensive releases.

Once I'm past the first couple days of recovery I'll bump back in with another update...and some video.

A small preview of the B/C VC modeling process. It's a WIP, but coming along nicely.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48729183327_7de8526a2b_o.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48728679463_ab74e3781d_o.jpg

Great news, both the knees and the models!

My wife had both her knees done recently, she got full replacements and the recovery was pretty difficult but now that she is past that it's a great improvement. Good luck on the procedure!

stansdds
September 14th, 2019, 04:45
Bump and an Update:

Wow! The old A-26 virtual cockpit looks great! As for your knee replacement, my mother had both knees done at the same time. She had already made up her mind to get through the rehab as quickly as possible and resume normal life. For every exercise she was supposed to do, she would do more. As a result, she was released from the hospital ahead of schedule, went into a rehab facility and ended up being booted out early because she was exceeding all the requirements for home rehab. Home rehab didn't last long either. Just a few visits from the therapist and she was released. She now does whatever she wants, goes where she wants, and is living a much better life after knee replacement. A lot of recovery boils down to attitude and determination.

Brytskiva
September 14th, 2019, 05:36
Very nice to hear :) :applause:

mal998
September 14th, 2019, 15:40
Oh yeah, that's the VC I've been hoping for. Beautiful work. Good luck with the surgery and rehab.

p14u2nv
September 14th, 2019, 16:04
Good luck and a speedy recovery to you GMan. Take good care

gman5250
September 15th, 2019, 12:41
Thank you gentlemen for your kind comments and good wishes.

The procedure was textbook, I'm back home in the chair and at full song. No issues and I have a shiny new high performance device in the left leg. This surgeon utilizes state-of-the-art, cutting edge (pardon the pun) procedures. That means I was up and walking within fifteen minutes of coming out of the general anesthesia. End to end the entire process was about 28 hours from door to door.

That said, the only potential drawback is that I will most likely be using auto rudder in the sim as I feel disproportionate inputs at the pedals for the next couple of weeks. Either that or a lot of turning right. lol
We used a full nerve block, spinal block and Iovera (nitrous oxide) in the knee. That means the leg feels like empty space from the adductor down to about the ankle. The heel still feels the ground but it feels like the leg is levitating. Probably not going to be too efficient in cross wind landings.

Part of the therapy is to use gravity to pull the knee into a straight leg alignment for the first two weeks. My normal working position while developing is to rest my heel on the desk and let the leg hang, so I'm already dialed in while working. The next procedure is in three months so I'll be doing extended duty at the box here for the foreseeable future. That means major progress on the five data recovery projects that run concurrently. I like balance so I'm keeping the Invaders, the Tigercat and Jetstar at parallel levels of development. The Jetstar is a major project in the VC, so that one is more labor intensive. The good news is that I only need to build one gauge and three copies for each of the dozens on board. The B and C Invaders use common elements, but do have differences in the two military models. Civilian applications are actually numerous, so I may build a generic with a nice Garmin stack. The K or "Kay" are, of course, separate and unique.

All projects will now be receiving my full attention and development time allotments...which more properly translates...a lot of time.

That said, thank you all for your encouragements. It's a challenging year considering the data catastrophe and the knees. The doc said my left knee was "a wreck". Now it's bionic and one more to do. Then I will free to train back up to the level that I am accustomed to, which ain't too shabby for an old biker. :pirate::very_drunk:

Sundog
September 15th, 2019, 13:05
:very_drunk: Here's to a speedy recovery!

Thanks for the cockpit preview pics. Good luck with Autorudder; Makes me pine for an old MS Sidewinder twisty stick.

DaveQ
September 16th, 2019, 01:07
….ditto from me Gordon. Hope all goes well, and the new vc looks amazing - can't wait!:encouragement:

DaveQ

stansdds
September 16th, 2019, 01:42
Excellent news, Gordon!

Jim Goldman
September 16th, 2019, 08:43
Thank you gentlemen for your kind comments and good wishes.

The procedure was textbook, I'm back home in the chair and at full song. No issues and I have a shiny new high performance device in the left leg. This surgeon utilizes state-of-the-art, cutting edge (pardon the pun) procedures. That means I was up and walking within fifteen minutes of coming out of the general anesthesia. End to end the entire process was about 28 hours from door to door.

That said, the only potential drawback is that I will most likely be using auto rudder in the sim as I feel disproportionate inputs at the pedals for the next couple of weeks. Either that or a lot of turning right. lol
We used a full nerve block, spinal block and Iovera (nitrous oxide) in the knee. That means the leg feels like empty space from the adductor down to about the ankle. The heel still feels the ground but it feels like the leg is levitating. Probably not going to be too efficient in cross wind landings.

Part of the therapy is to use gravity to pull the knee into a straight leg alignment for the first two weeks. My normal working position while developing is to rest my heel on the desk and let the leg hang, so I'm already dialed in while working. The next procedure is in three months so I'll be doing extended duty at the box here for the foreseeable future. That means major progress on the five data recovery projects that run concurrently. I like balance so I'm keeping the Invaders, the Tigercat and Jetstar at parallel levels of development. The Jetstar is a major project in the VC, so that one is more labor intensive. The good news is that I only need to build one gauge and three copies for each of the dozens on board. The B and C Invaders use common elements, but do have differences in the two military models. Civilian applications are actually numerous, so I may build a generic with a nice Garmin stack. The K or "Kay" are, of course, separate and unique.

All projects will now be receiving my full attention and development time allotments...which more properly translates...a lot of time.

That said, thank you all for your encouragements. It's a challenging year considering the data catastrophe and the knees. The doc said my left knee was "a wreck". Now it's bionic and one more to do. Then I will free to train back up to the level that I am accustomed to, which ain't too shabby for an old biker. :pirate::very_drunk:

Gordon, glad you came out of the procedure well. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Best wishes

Jim

jankees
September 16th, 2019, 10:15
Glad to hear things are going well Gordon.
I wish you the very best with your recovery and next procedure, and I'm glad you will be able to devote time so some of these highly anticipated aircraft. That cockpit already looks stunning, can't wait to see the rest...

docjohnson
September 16th, 2019, 14:18
Gordon, glad to hear your doing well and on the mend!

AussieMan
September 16th, 2019, 15:59
​Great to hear that everything went well for you. A bit of R&R won't hurt.

stoney
September 16th, 2019, 19:45
I'm getting a CDT on the SOH FSX A/B-26, anyone else having this issue? I have FSUIPC4, Version 4.974. Windows 8.1 64 Bit reported as Build 9600 (OS 6.3). If that helps. Thanks if you can help

paul day
September 16th, 2019, 23:05
Hi Stoney
Go back to "295" in this topic and it might help you, it worked for me.

Regards Paul Day.

stoney
September 17th, 2019, 11:52
Many thanks Paul, that did the trick. Don't know how I missed it.

Wings of Gold
September 22nd, 2019, 11:46
Hi Gordon,Congratulations on the "new" knees.Bill

gman5250
September 22nd, 2019, 12:28
Hi Gordon,Congratulations on the "new" knees.Bill

Thanks Bill. One week out and I'm walking full weight bearing, albeit with crutches for "training wheels". I went off pain mediation completely on the fourth day. At the moment I'm getting clear headed enough to tackle some modeling and code.
I appreciate your support Sir. :encouragement:

My most sincere appreciation goes out to everyone who has followed my transition. Every good thought is very much appreciated gentlemen and gentlewomen.

gman5250
October 19th, 2019, 14:16
Dev work has been a tad slow while recovering from the surgery.
Walked a mile and a half on the fire roads today..uphill...downhill. Full weight bearing the whole way. Lots of big cat tracks on the trails...hope I don't have to sprint. lol
November 15, I do the right knee to complete the set. Lotts-o work ahead.

Work Update:

Work on the K Invader is progressing steadily...and

Mr. Shupe has graciously granted me permission to upgrade the A-26 interiors and convert the exteriors to PBR materials. Fantastic!

Video coming shortly, but here are some shots of the most current VC work on the B,C and K variants. Lots of details focusing on the new tubs, frames, yokes, panels, gauge faces, quads, control levers, radios, bezels and general detailing. Work is slow, but steady. :untroubled:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48925928361_53df6280a2_o.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48925392518_7273f74fc4_o.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48925392673_bc71676e63_o.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48926124857_1b581032a4_o.jpg

gman5250
October 19th, 2019, 14:17
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48925929091_bf31c80bc5_o.jpg

Some preliminary shots of the A-26B Invader VC...WIP

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48926125267_39992a67d8_o.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48926123907_29f5974f68_o.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48925392238_2681c6dfbd_o.jpg

TiAr
October 19th, 2019, 16:12
Wow, chapeau!

Thank you very, very much for your work and these very nice pictures.

Thomas

TuFun
October 19th, 2019, 16:13
Super! :encouragement:

Flyboy208
October 19th, 2019, 17:04
That vc looks incredible Gordon ! Mike :applause:

Sundog
October 19th, 2019, 18:45
It's looking great Gordon. Glad to hear you're up and walking! :encouragement:

greenie
October 19th, 2019, 19:07
Just great . I'm getting excited !

manfredc3
October 19th, 2019, 19:24
I've been away from the site for a while.

Gordon,
Glad to hear part 1 of your surgery went well. I hope recovery keeps progressing in the same way.

Always good to see brilliant minds work their magic for our hobby.

Brytskiva
October 19th, 2019, 19:34
Really nice ! :applause:

jamminjames
October 19th, 2019, 21:05
Can't wait for this one. Great work and thanks to all involved.........

stansdds
October 20th, 2019, 02:59
Wow! That's quite an improvement!

docjohnson
October 20th, 2019, 14:09
That's impressive, I've been flying the A/B-26 in FS2004, FSXA, and now P3D and this is the best its ever been.

gman5250
October 27th, 2019, 11:07
The B&C models are both close to beta. I'm working on details in the VC, mainly the new interior fuselage, window and canopy frame modeling. Also getting gauges accurate, switches live for TackPak and other bits.

I thought a few shots taken from the raw video would be in order to show off progress and textures.

First is A-26B-55-DL 44-34356 BC-356 of the All Weather Flying Center by Jan Kees Blom. This is a perfect example of how a magnificent paint from another artist can be easily converted for PBR.
The process is easy...I'll put together a tutorial on the process.

Thanks Jan Kees for this immaculate paint. :ernaehrung004:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48969704352_8d6e251260_o.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48969530321_fdd53e6cf6_o.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48969704047_b694d07904_o.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48969530821_a74e1a85d9_o.jpg

gman5250
October 27th, 2019, 11:08
BC_733 Night Fighter

I painted this skin back around 2012 for FSX. I added some new weathering detail and PBR magic for the updated C model. Wayyyy cool.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48969703232_761a096696_o.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48969529846_eaa94fc336_o.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48969529236_06031b25c1_o.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48968984248_d44cbc39db_o.jpg

docjohnson
October 27th, 2019, 11:31
Sweet! Can't wait to see it. Thank you for the hard work on this.

Navy Chief
October 27th, 2019, 12:29
Whoa! That is gorgeous!!! NC

awstub
October 27th, 2019, 12:49
WOW! Absolutely gorgeous.

Brytskiva
October 27th, 2019, 16:25
:applause: :ernaehrung004: That´s gonna be … perfect ! :santahat:

jamminjames
October 27th, 2019, 20:35
Speechless!!!!:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

jankees
November 1st, 2019, 09:22
First is A-26B-55-DL 44-34356 BC-356 of the All Weather Flying Center by Jan Kees Blom. This is a perfect example of how a magnificent paint from another artist can be easily converted for PBR.
The process is easy...I'll put together a tutorial on the process.

Thanks Jan Kees for this immaculate paint. :ernaehrung004:

You're welcome, Gordon, though the paint looks sooo much better after your treatment. Just fantastic, I can't wait to convert the others..

ejoiner
November 1st, 2019, 11:24
is this bird tacpack enabled? if not it ought to be!!!

gman5250
November 2nd, 2019, 07:38
Douglas A-26B,C & K Video Preview

As promised the A-26 Invader preview video is uploaded. This is a longer video, featuring all three Invaders...including "Special Kay". Here is a good chance to see the new interiors and exteriors in full PBR glory. Not to worry...the models will also be released as standard FSX and P3D models for those who favor those platforms.

Pay special attention to the All Weather Flying Center skin by Jan Kees. I tweaked the skin slightly, removing the FSX alpha channels and adding the metallic texture sheets needed to convert this beautiful paint to PBR. Thanks Jan Kees...what a beauty. I retained the original UVW mapping from Milton Shupe for my upgrades, which means that any and all older skins will work on the new model and can all be upgraded to PBR.

This video is meant to showcase the new models, but is also a "beauty" tour of the airplane, the sim and some of my scenery and environments. All of the local scenery in this video are my work, re-built following my catastrophic data loss. KRNO has been a real project because...well it's a big airport. lol

Enjoy the smoke, noise and music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLTidGD1Vps&t=1503s

sp762
November 2nd, 2019, 11:14
Crikey. That’s beyond belief!

stretch1365
November 2nd, 2019, 12:06
Wow your new video is just amazing. I cranked up the volume, headphones on and set full screen then just sat back and enjoyed the show. Truely amazing how this aircraft is progressing. I can't wait to see this upgrade in FSX if your still going to release it for that platform too. Thanks.

Best Regards

Dave Phillips.

blanston12
November 2nd, 2019, 13:33
Wonderful work G-Man. Love that you were doing your test flights around Mono Lake.

Just wondering if there will be a 'restored' version of this aircraft, think someone flying a restored version of this beauty today, with the minimum upgrades to communication and navigation most pilots would want.

ferondoe
November 3rd, 2019, 01:49
Wonderful work G-Man. Love that you were doing your test flights around Mono Lake.

Just wondering if there will be a 'restored' version of this aircraft, think someone flying a restored version of this beauty today, with the minimum upgrades to communication and navigation most pilots would want.

Great job it will be beautiful,
for version K, I would prefer pilots equipped with a helmet instead of the cap.
Regards
Marty

gman5250
November 3rd, 2019, 02:01
Great job it will be beautiful,
for version K, I would prefer pilots equipped with a helmet instead of the cap.
Regards
Marty

I'm with you on that Marty. The SEA pilots are in the works, but not ready for the show...yet.

gman5250
November 3rd, 2019, 02:10

The B&C cockpits differ slightly, and will be in the models in a few days. I'm trying to get those as correct as I can to original, including gauge faces etc. Same thing for the K, one model period correct and "Kay" which has a single Garmin. Restored Invaders do have some variations as far as I can so, so the original POH will have the final say. Also, the interiors are extremely clean at this stage of development as you can see in the video. I'll probably release a "restored" version with very little wear and tear, and a service model with more realistic use scratches and crud. :encouragement:

gman5250
November 3rd, 2019, 02:12
Wow your new video is just amazing. I cranked up the volume, headphones on and set full screen then just sat back and enjoyed the show. Truely amazing how this aircraft is progressing. I can't wait to see this upgrade in FSX if your still going to release it for that platform too. Thanks.

Best Regards

Dave Phillips.

The sim is so beautiful with the PBR lighting, I really try to create an atmosphere that portrays everything in it's best light. I really appreciate your comment, it shows me I'm over the target.

stansdds
November 3rd, 2019, 03:32
Really looks good! Did the gauges get an overhaul to increase their resolution and clarity too?

gman5250
November 3rd, 2019, 08:26
Really looks good! Did the gauges get an overhaul to increase their resolution and clarity too?

Some of the gauges are right out folder from the original model. Many of those gauges call out for some tiny bitmaps. I want to standardize the gauge sizes to utilize the larger, cleaner bitmaps. The restorations out there have a number of variables in gauges used, so I want to reproduce the sets as close to their original factory as possible. The BMEP guage seen in the video is a good example. That one and a few others are examples of the updated and accurate art. Of course some tweaks in the gauge programming are also needed.

I actually had compiled a complete library of accurate gauge faces, but sadly those were un-recoverable after the data loss.

PBR will be another task altogether. :applause:

It's a process.

ejoiner
November 3rd, 2019, 09:56
I'm with you on that Marty. The SEA pilots are in the works, but not ready for the show...yet.

Awesome. I was going to ask for helmeted pilots. :)

And I repeat the request for tacpack enabled versions... getting those 8 guns to speak would be great. :)

Jim Goldman
November 3rd, 2019, 12:10
Gordon. Splendid work, top of the hat to you....

gman5250
November 3rd, 2019, 12:18
Gordon. Splendid work, top of the hat to you....

Thanks Jim, the Jetstar is getting the same treatment...:applause::applause::applause:

docjohnson
November 3rd, 2019, 17:46
Awesome work my friend!

lagaffe
November 4th, 2019, 08:07
Hi,

By looking carefully at a cockpit screenshot (https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48926123907_29f5974f68_o.jpg), I could read FRAMENATION... is it a typographical error or is it reality?
A friend of mine on Pilote-virtuel give me this document https://www.avialogs.com/aircraft-d/douglas/item/55717-to-1b-26b-1-b-26b-handbook-flight-instruction (Page 15) and you can read FRAGMENTATION.

Very good works, I wait for completion :applause:

gman5250
November 4th, 2019, 16:11
Douglas A-26B,C & K Invaders 4K Preview

For those interested in the 2060p high def experience, I mastered a second production in 4K video. I did one or two small edits and tweaked the music/ambient plane sound go be a bit more elegant.
My opinion, of course.

Enjoy at your leisure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2TV379Fz1A&feature=youtu.be

mongo55
November 4th, 2019, 19:25
Hi Gman: All of these conversions had to take a lot of work. Is there somewhere that I can send you a donation? Mike Gutierrez, North Hollywood, California.

gman5250
November 5th, 2019, 03:01
Hi Gman: All of these conversions had to take a lot of work. Is there somewhere that I can send you a donation? Mike Gutierrez, North Hollywood, California.

Mike, your offer is generous and much appreciated. My work on this project is my way of honoring the original authors for their contributions over the years and therefore, pro bono. I must therefore decline your offer.

I will be re-rehabilitating the double knee replacements over the course of the winter, which means I will have the time to do the work.
It is my honor and pleasure to offer my small contribution.

Thanks mate...:very_drunk:

FlyingsCool
November 5th, 2019, 08:06

Most?

I prefer period instruments. I'm not a fan of new instruments in period aircraft... Not at all.
I want to know what it was like for guys (and gals) to be flying these beauties back in the day.

Many... some... That I could see...

Simply incredible work Gman... I'm so happy you've recovered well in both health and your computer.

gman5250
November 5th, 2019, 08:55
...I prefer period instruments...Simply incredible work Gman... I'm so happy you've recovered well in both health and your computer.

At this stage of development, I'm sticking with period instruments, with the exception of "Kay". She'll have the same Garmin that is required for her cert. I do use a set of pop up nav aids i.e. HUD, Garmin stack and radio sets for my personal aircraft, even in the vintage birds. If and when I'm not VFR I have been known to use the "cheaters". The beta models will have those options for anyone who wants to use the utility.

I'm doing the second knee on Nov 14, so I'm short. I'll be a pile for the first week post op, but after that I figure three weeks until I'm walking without any aids. From there I can ramp up the rehab/training. Complete integration at about nine months. The computer recovery is running concurrent while I'm laid up, but it is coming along steadily.

I appreciate your support...this is the year of doing the work. :running:

Sundog
November 5th, 2019, 09:33

We'll get to do that when he releases his own developments, both scenery and aircraft. :very_drunk: It is great to see how much the A-26 has evolved from where it started. I was just happy when Milton originally made it. It just keeps getting better.