PDA

View Full Version : Big thank you to all the devs out there!

Mach3DS
November 2nd, 2017, 14:00
Just wanted to say thank you to all the devs out there. Without which our hobby would be something else entirely! I've just been so impressed with all the repaints lately (since that's my new thing) but I didn't want to neglect anyone!

In no particular order:. DaveQ, ********, jens-ole, jeansy, Bomber_12th, Jankees, Willy, zsolt, yoyo, Tankerguy, TuFun, falcon409, huub vink, wellis, butcherbird17, TiAir, Christoph_T, FSXAR177, Tom Weiss, and I'm sure I've missed many others who deserve a big round of applause for your talents. Thank you! I'm just in awe of your abilities.

-Rick

YoYo
November 2nd, 2017, 14:08
I'm in good company :wavey:, Thank You Rick, Yours works are great, don't be modest :very_drunk: .

speedy70
November 2nd, 2017, 14:14
So what about the two greatest Jan Visser and Milton Shupe.

Cheers Chris

ncooper
November 2nd, 2017, 14:22

Cheers Chris

Manfred Jahn.
The trouble with lists is that they are rarely complete.

DaveQ
November 2nd, 2017, 14:27
It's a great honour to be included in such august company. Many thanks Rick; the work you do with metal is magic!! And I echo your sentiment - they all enrich a fascinating hobby.

DaveQ

gman5250
November 2nd, 2017, 15:03
Right back at you sir. :very_drunk:

Mach3DS
November 2nd, 2017, 15:05
Ha! Milton is no puny repainter! He is in a completly different league! I'm coming to realize he's more like John Boyd...a legend...he's legendary!

Mach3DS
November 2nd, 2017, 15:44
If by Jan Visser you mean the Section F8 F-86E developer? Then I'd say about the same thing as Milton. Theres likely loads of people I've missed. You're invited to send your thanks to those I've missed!

Mach3DS
November 2nd, 2017, 15:45
Manfred Jahn.
The trouble with lists is that they are rarely complete.

Also legendary.... Same with Dino Cattaneo.

Mach3DS
November 2nd, 2017, 15:47
ViperVFX is the original painter for many of Milviz products...he's a master painter.

Willy
November 2nd, 2017, 15:58
Add Nigel Richards to the list. He's pretty much behind the scenes, but was my mentor in figuring how to actually do paints instead of just dabbling. The man is brilliant and I hope someday to just get in the same neighborhood as him.

Stratobat
November 2nd, 2017, 16:01
Hey Rick,

A poor model can't be made great with a fantastic set of textures just like a great model can't be done justice with a poor set of textures. Each part plays a part. A lot of developers have had humble beginnings as well but they've put in the hours (Over a decade, sometimes two) and honed their skills as they've gone along.

Regards,
Stratobat

tankerguy72
November 2nd, 2017, 17:31
Appreciate you tossing me in there Rick. I have learned alot from your posts here. You and Gman are the top Metal Masters. Enjoy your work.

Butcherbird17
November 2nd, 2017, 17:51
Thanks Rick for including me, but I'm not even close to the talent in that list. And you should add your name to it.
If it wasn't for you doing that tut for me I'd still be lost. :dizzy:

Joe

Milton Shupe
November 2nd, 2017, 18:23

Cheers Chris

I think he was addressing paint artists :wavey:

PhantomTweak
November 2nd, 2017, 21:02
I think we have more active devs here than on the FSDeveloper forums!

And a HUUUGE thanks to every one of them, paint or plane. They're all fantastic, and to think, they do it for free!
Amazing use of their talents, really.

Thanks to them all!
Pat☺

JensOle
November 2nd, 2017, 23:01
I would like to thank the painters here as well, it is amazing how the aircraft paints are looking these days! As DaveQ say, it is an honour to be included on the list :-)

And Rick, you are doing some stunning texture magic yourself too! Thank you!

Dino Cattaneo
November 2nd, 2017, 23:53
...thanks for the appreciation!

Frankly, one of the bad things of being a developer is that you haven't enough time to properly check and enjoy the work of other developers. I am AMAZED by how much the quality and variety of flight simulator add-ons (or should we say "mods"? This term is getting more and more popular)!

It is a great hobby, a great community and the devs are amazing!

Dimus
November 3rd, 2017, 00:22
Creating stuff is big part of the fun. One however has to have a balance to enjoy the sim too. After a long time developing something I feel the need to just fly and enjoy. After a while the itch to build stuff starts again...

The biggest joy however comes from sharing and seeing people happy and appreciative of one's efforts.

warchild
November 3rd, 2017, 01:55
Creating stuff is big part of the fun. One however has to have a balance to enjoy the sim too. After a long time developing something I feel the need to just fly and enjoy. After a while the itch to build stuff starts again...

The biggest joy however comes from sharing and seeing people happy and appreciative of one's efforts.

I ran into an issue with that. It was like, "Where do I fly when i'm not working?" Really, its boring.. So I'd go back and work, and burn out little bit more. I'd play tanks, or ships, or fable or fallout: Boring.. Sometimes its difficult to find something that fills that emptiness when your not working. Sometimes, like cigarettes, the very thing you love is whats killing you ( she says lighting up another smoke ). Balance is an easy word to say, but its not always so easy to accomplish. It takes patience, determination and veracity to find it, especially if your balancing what we do here, with friends, family, job, and more life than what can be had in a box in general.. I love what we do, and I love seeing and playing with what is done. This is the greatest place on the net, thanks to the people who live here, I love every single one of ya, and am honored that some of you, call me friend..
Pam

huub vink
November 3rd, 2017, 02:38
Thanks Rick, I really feel honoured to be named in that list.

Huub

falcon409
November 3rd, 2017, 03:15
Wow, I made the list? I've never been on a list, except maybe that one list I was on in Catholic School that said "Keep an eye on this kid. . .he's trouble", lol

Seriously though, thanks Rick and as others have mentioned, you should consider yourself part of the "list" as your work is enviable for those of us who simply "piddle around" with repaints.

WND
November 3rd, 2017, 05:01
Just wanted to say thank you to all the devs out there. Without which our hobby would be something else entirely! I've just been so impressed with all the repaints lately (since that's my new thing) but I didn't want to neglect anyone!

In no particular order:. DaveQ, ********, jens-ole, jeansy, Bomber_12th, Jankees, Willy, zsolt, yoyo, Tankerguy, TuFun, falcon409, huub vink, wellis, butcherbird17, TiAir, Christoph_T, FSXAR177, Tom Weiss, and I'm sure I've missed many others who deserve a big round of applause for your talents. Thank you! I'm just in awe of your abilities.

-Rick

I totally agree !! For someone who knows nothing about 'building' aircraft (or boats) for the sim, who just 'dabbles' in 'scenery' and painting for personal pleasure, I've seen over the years many great renditions of stuff being produced..

I've had the pleasure of 'working' with some developers on some of their projects (aircraft and scenery - altho I was probably more of a 'pain in the ass'), I've had a few individuals take their time and do 'personal' requests for me, and I certainly appreciate (and thank) everyone's efforts that take their personal time to keep this hobby what it is..

Since this list can go on and on, I would like to add 2 more names to the list: 'Duckie' and Larry (LDR) !! For Larry to have approximately 5,000 downloads on his first airplane, tells ya something !! And he's got 3 more in the 'pipeline' !!

Anyways, I appreciate and thank everyone for ALL their efforts.. :applause::applause:

Regards;

Bill

Dangerousdave26
November 3rd, 2017, 05:24
I would like to add 2 more names to the list: 'Duckie' and Larry (LDR) !! For Larry to have approximately 5,000 downloads on his first airplane, tells ya something !! And he's got 3 more in the 'pipeline' !!

I would also like to Thank Larry for dragging me into the development field. I just wish I had time to be more of a pain in the Arse to him again.

Bjoern
November 3rd, 2017, 06:02
Meanwhile, the nerd labs of aerodynamics (flight dynamics), acoustics (sound), computer science (panels) and civil engineering (scenery) ordered a freight train worth of ice cream because yet again the artistry department (models, textures) got the limelight.

b52bob
November 3rd, 2017, 06:41
nice thread. Love giving these talented devs their due. To many times they run afoul of “the rivets are in the wrong place” instead of praise for what they do.

i know he’s not active but I know he’s not forgotten, Piglet.

Bob

Tako_Kichi
November 3rd, 2017, 07:08
Meanwhile, the nerd labs of aerodynamics (flight dynamics), acoustics (sound), computer science (panels) and civil engineering (scenery) ordered a freight train worth of ice cream because yet again the artistry department (models, textures) got the limelight.
I fully appreciate everyone in the nerd labs, I have tried my hand at building FDEs and coding and I know how hard it can be. That's why I now stick to modelling as it's something I find satisfying, pleases the engineer in me and gives me a lot of enjoyment. Building aircraft for sims is just like building aircraft in the real world, it takes a team of dedicated people each with their own unique skills. One person can do it but it takes much longer and the old adage of 'Jack of all trades, master of none' comes into play, it's far better to assemble a group of masters in their specific field to work on a project together.

I admire the coding work you produce Bjoern and the same goes to Roman too, I just wish I had those skills at times.

gastonj
November 3rd, 2017, 08:21
I think we have more active devs here than on the FSDeveloper forums!

I am not sure! Quite all devs are members of FSDevelopper. The purpose of FSDevelopper is different from this one!

JMC

Bjoern
November 3rd, 2017, 10:13
One person can do it but it takes much longer and the old adage of 'Jack of all trades, master of none' comes into play, it's far better to assemble a group of masters in their specific field to work on a project together.

True, although I really prefer to work alone. Coordination takes some effort and, as you've experienced, you can't fall back onto yourself if one of your experts drops out and leaves the project stalling.

Roger
November 3rd, 2017, 13:32
For whatever reasons, I love the fact that developers feel safe, supported and acknowledged here. I believe this will never change as long as the Sim Outhouse exists.:engel016:

Milton Shupe
November 3rd, 2017, 15:11
I would also like to Thank Larry for dragging me into the development field. I just wish I had time to be more of a pain in the Arse to him again.

Hi Dave, wish you had more available time. I miss seeing you about but we know you are here keeping SOH running smoothly and ensuring those backups are getting done as well.

Hope life awards you more free time to enjoy the hobby.

Milton Shupe
November 3rd, 2017, 15:57

LOL Yup; that seems to be the case at times. The sound, panel, and flight model guys always seem to be in the background when their jobs are well done. But, they are essential for rides that we continue to fly. You can't short-change a well-balanced and functional panel, sounds that bring the aircraft to life, or a flight model that has the right feel. My challenge is to have a good balance of all the key components and have been fortunate to have great contributors over the years as part of the team.

Panel and gauges: Scott Thomas, Rich "Real_Old_Salt" Murray, and other contributors like Mike Wagner, Nick Pike, Doug Dawson, Hans-Joerg Naegele, Hauke Keitel
Custom XML work: Rob Barendregt, Roman Stoviak
Sounds: Scott Thomas, Gary Jones, Nigel Richards, Mike Hambly, Aaron Swindle
Flight models: Tom Falley, Bernt Stolle, Jerry Beckwith, Ron Freimuth (advice and consulting)
Textures: Joáo Paz, André Folkers, Damian "windrunner" Radice. Urs Burkhardt, Nigel Richards, James Banks, Mike Kelley, Gordon Madison, Tankerguy72, Marcel Ritzema, John Humphries, Marcel Ritzema, Todd Disrud, Steve Bryant, Martial Feron, Sasha Rieger, Rachael "Firekitten" Whiteford, William Ellis, Matt Wynn, Oleboy, Rui Cristina
Gmax parts and pilots: Jan Visser, Bill Ortis, Craig "Full" Richardson, Larry Green

Effects are done by some of the above people as well.

My list of contributors of the years is very long and I may have left some out; if so, I apologize.

Mach3DS
November 3rd, 2017, 16:53
I also apologize for not including the list of all the "nerds" in the background Bjoern! Their efforts literally make us want to fly the sim vs just a video game. Thank you!!!

And I must give a MASSIVE apology to DUCKIE, for leaving you off my original "list" LOL. You are one of the best "weathered" painters I know!

Duckie
November 4th, 2017, 07:23
...I must give a MASSIVE apology to DUCKIE, for leaving you off my original "list"...

:biggrin-new: Absolutely no apology necessary, Rick, and your comments are very much appreciated.

It is humbling to even be mentioned in the same thread as the masters who are listed. A couple more names come to mind that belong here, Dag and Gus Rabatto. I spent countless hours admiring and studying theirs and the works of many others mentioned here.

Thanks to all for their artistry and their willingness to share.

Bjoern
November 4th, 2017, 08:18
I also apologize for not including the list of all the "nerds" in the background Bjoern! Their efforts literally make us want to fly the sim vs just a video game. Thank you!!!

Since you just can't catch 'em all, wouldn't it be better to simply thank everybody in general for contributing?

jeansy
November 4th, 2017, 08:27
I just read this post out of curiosity after seeing it for the past day or two

thank you rick for including me with such others

if it wasnt for people like Jankees and Gunnar and a few others including yourself, I wouldnt push myself at times to try new things

Mach3DS
November 4th, 2017, 08:54
Since you just can't catch 'em all, wouldn't it be better to simply thank everybody in general for contributing?

I agree Bjoern! A BIG THANK YOU to EVERYONE who develops FS in any capacity! Your contributions have made us all inspired in whatever niche of talent you may have! Great community here!

Duckie
November 4th, 2017, 09:51
I agree Bjoern! A BIG THANK YOU to EVERYONE who develops FS in any capacity! Your contributions have made us all inspired in whatever niche of talent you may have! Great community here!

:encouragement: