PDA

View Full Version : Apple Update stops FSX in its tracks

SSI01
August 23rd, 2017, 17:53
This happens twice a week but tonight was the last straw. I get a dialog box from Apple informing me of an update to my installation, that appears on my computer screen and has the very bad habit of stopping whatever program is running dead in its tracks. Tonight it was FSX. I could not recover the sim after deleting the dialog box, either.

Is there a way to permanently stop these pop-ups from Apple and instead opt to go to their website to see if there are any updates I may care to have?

Also - I have heard bad things about Apple and Java, and system vulnerabilities that happen when those two programs are exploited by less than scrupulous people. Is this something I should disable altogether on my machine?

falcon409
August 23rd, 2017, 18:40
What's running on your system that you get Apple Updates? I have never gotten any.

docjohnson
August 23rd, 2017, 19:04
An "Apple" process running on your computer that kills FSX? In what way? CTD? FPS drop? Can you look in the Task Manager and see which one you think is the one that has hung the system or FSX, then we might be able to help you. What I'm getting at is unless you know specifically what process is running that is the problem its very hard to answer your post.

Also, if your running FSX without some process killer like Razor Cortex or one of the other programs that do the same thing your always going to have that problem. I still use that program with P3D V3 to keep the problems to a minimum. Don't need it for V4.

As for people misusing Java, I have programmed in Java (And C/C++/C#, Smalltalk, D, and others) for 19+ years, any security problems with the language platform were dealt with and continue to be updated to secure the platform. I have seen people on forums like this bash Java, what a shame since for general application programming it has served the business world well. It was also what AI Carriers was programmed with and I never had a problem with it. Also neither C or C++ is used much anymore in business application development. In fact I have been on more than one project were the business wanted to port applications from C/C++/C# to Java. All that said, I program in C++ for my simobject development tasks. Java is not the culprit, its a hacker/criminal who misuses the language to attack a system. In fact, C and C++ have been used to do the same.

Daveroo
August 23rd, 2017, 19:43
was getting popups telling me to update my apple itunes,i removed it completely from my pc,i cant find a way to upload pic s from my phone but,,hell with it...i hate apple anymore.

Cees Donker
August 23rd, 2017, 20:22
I removed it a long time ago. PITA that program!

Cees

SSI01
August 24th, 2017, 06:00
An "Apple" process running on your computer that kills FSX? In what way? CTD? FPS drop? Can you look in the Task Manager and see which one you think is the one that has hung the system or FSX, then we might be able to help you. What I'm getting at is unless you know specifically what process is running that is the problem its very hard to answer your post.

Also, if your running FSX without some process killer like Razor Cortex or one of the other programs that do the same thing your always going to have that problem. I still use that program with P3D V3 to keep the problems to a minimum. Don't need it for V4.

As for people misusing Java, I have programmed in Java (And C/C++/C#, Smalltalk, D, and others) for 19+ years, any security problems with the language platform were dealt with and continue to be updated to secure the platform. I have seen people on forums like this bash Java, what a shame since for general application programming it has served the business world well. It was also what AI Carriers was programmed with and I never had a problem with it. Also neither C or C++ is used much anymore in business application development. In fact I have been on more than one project were the business wanted to port applications from C/C++/C# to Java. All that said, I program in C++ for my simobject development tasks. Java is not the culprit, its a hacker/criminal who misuses the language to attack a system. In fact, C and C++ have been used to do the same.

Good morning, Senior.

To try to answer your questions: the Apple Update immediately stops FSX - instantly - and normally shrinks it to an icon on the taskbar while the update box is in the center of the desktop. Normally I can "x" out of the Apple update box, click on the FSX icon, and go right to a paused sim - clicking on "P" brings everything back to where it should be. Last night I got FSX to not come back at all from the desktop icon. I then got a dialog box saying FSX had experienced a fatal error and was shutting down. Then we got a dialog box on top of that saying FSX was restarting.

Right now, w/o FSX running, the only processes going are "dwm.exe," and "firefox.exe*32" (three of those). CPU values on "dwm" are between "0" and "1." CPU values on all three Firefox are 11-14 on the first one, and 1-2 on the other two. Every other process - there are 20 - is a "00."

I will start FSX shortly to see if any of this changes after the sim fires up.

I do have Razer Cortex and have all sim iterations in it, plus one or two other sims I have. Latest update has been installed. Currently v8.2.14.487

Ganter
August 24th, 2017, 07:14
Good morning, Senior.

To try to answer your questions: the Apple Update immediately stops FSX - instantly - and normally shrinks it to an icon on the taskbar while the update box is in the center of the desktop. Normally I can "x" out of the Apple update box, click on the FSX icon, and go right to a paused sim - clicking on "P" brings everything back to where it should be. Last night I got FSX to not come back at all from the desktop icon. I then got a dialog box saying FSX had experienced a fatal error and was shutting down. Then we got a dialog box on top of that saying FSX was restarting.

Right now, w/o FSX running, the only processes going are "dwm.exe," and "firefox.exe*32" (three of those). CPU values on "dwm" are between "0" and "1." CPU values on all three Firefox are 11-14 on the first one, and 1-2 on the other two. Every other process - there are 20 - is a "00."

I will start FSX shortly to see if any of this changes after the sim fires up.

I do have Razer Cortex and have all sim iterations in it, plus one or two other sims I have. Latest update has been installed. Currently v8.2.14.487

Have you taken a look in MSCONFIG? - I think I was able to disable "Apple Updater" in there (I installed Itunes to get iphone USB Hotspot functionality). I'll check when I boot the Sim a bit later today.

Ganter

scotth6
August 24th, 2017, 07:40
You could check your Control Panel/ Programs list for any Apple associated products. You could also see any Apple processes running in Task Manager (Processes Tab) and if you right click you can discover the location of the file.

I used to get Apple updates as I had Quicktime media player, but I either disabled it or removed it altogether ages ago. I disable most automatic updaters, although some of them come back after a manual update. I don't need 10 automatic update processes running in the background, so I try to keep them disabled using Task Manager or Administrative Tools/Services or CCleaner.

docjohnson
August 24th, 2017, 07:48
Agree with the above, I disabled mine with CCleaner...

SSI01
August 24th, 2017, 10:57
You could check your Control Panel/ Programs list for any Apple associated products. You could also see any Apple processes running in Task Manager (Processes Tab) and if you right click you can discover the location of the file.

I used to get Apple updates as I had Quicktime media player, but I either disabled it or removed it altogether ages ago. I disable most automatic updaters, although some of them come back after a manual update. I don't need 10 automatic update processes running in the background, so I try to keep them disabled using Task Manager or Administrative Tools/Services or CCleaner.

Checked in the Control Panel/Programs and lo and behold there sits "Apple Software Update." It's been uninstalled.

Ganter
August 24th, 2017, 11:44
Checked in the Control Panel/Programs and lo and behold there sits "Apple Software Update." It's been uninstalled.

Nuke it in to orbit!

Glad you got it sorted.