PDA

View Full Version : Clive...Your Smoke

O-1Driver
February 11th, 2009, 14:43
Clive,

Here are some shots of the early alpha smokes. The smoke plumes on the tallest ones will reach 7,000 ft. The ones you see here are only one model there will be many and varied in the facility. There will also be drifting smoke clouds at various altitudes as well as ground smoke similar to the markers.

This is going to take some time and it will be awhile before it is ready..

Distance is a problem, currently they can only be seen from 8 miles away.

Clive, what in the heck do you plan on burning?:faint:

Steve

Pat Pattle
February 11th, 2009, 22:43
Great stuff Steve, they look just the job. :)

I'm currently working on a mission for covering the Dunkirk evacuation and would like to get a look something like this...

http://tbn0.google.com/hosted/images/c?q=294a2b3378b48d66_landing

Nonato
February 11th, 2009, 23:50
That smoke would be great for ANY bombing mission! Excellent!

remcoc
February 12th, 2009, 03:07
I agree Nonato!

Burning oiltanks, factories etc produce this kind of smoke. Gives dramatic effect to the scenery. I hope the trade-off at FPS is not to big.

ETO-march-release is going to be really great I suspect

RemcoC

O-1Driver
February 12th, 2009, 05:34
Roger that Clive, there will be several different smoke efects the tall plume here will have several variations and look like these when done. There wil also be some lower billowing smoke like in the last picture you posted. This is from the Dunkirk link you sent me and is an actual photo also.

Steve

O-1Driver
February 12th, 2009, 05:50
I agree Nonato!

Burning oiltanks, factories etc produce this kind of smoke. Gives dramatic effect to the scenery. I hope the trade-off at FPS is not to big.

ETO-march-release is going to be really great I suspect

RemcoC

Remco, the FPS is not bad at all. To give you an idea of the size of this thing here is a screenshot with the current warehouse fire/smoke placed on the ground next to the Dunkirk fire. The Dunkirk fires will be quite large when completed.

The smoke plumes were quite large and could be seen by British aircraft that were well out over the Channel. There will be a second facility just for night missions with a large orange background glow visible from miles away.

Steve

Pat Pattle
February 12th, 2009, 06:09
Awesome Steve, you're still the man!! :)

Dare I ask when??? please

O-1Driver
February 12th, 2009, 07:21
Awesome Steve, you're still the man!! :)

Dare I ask when??? please

Clive,

ETO 1.2 is scheduled for release early March. Once it is out I am going to take a vacation away from CFS 3 for a few weeks. The only exception will be that I will be hosting on line once a week with ETO 1.2.

As you know I currently don't have a flyable aircraft only a project and I want to actively pursue one the next couple of months which will mean some travel. I also have some mods I want to get done on my car. I will be drastically reducing the time I spend on CFS 3 development this year so things will take a little longer to get done. I will be working on MAW part time the first half of the year.

I am building the Dunkirk effects so they can be used either as a free standing invisible facility that can be placed on top of any factory, refinery, town, etc.. Or the effects can be built in to the individual buildings you are placing in your Dunkirk facility. To activate the effects you can either bomb the town, or place the invisible facility called bomb explosions on top of the facility you want destroyed and it will attack the enemy buildings and destroy them casuing the fires and smoke. I used this effect in the Huricane intercept mission where your airfield hangars and buildings are burning as you takeoff and land.

James will be able to use the night version as it has larger fires slightly less smoke but an additional orange glow effect. The entire package will be complex and is going to take some time to get the smoke and fires looking realistic.

James will need a town facility in a large and small version so that he can recreate the firestorms in night missions. When you guys get the towns built I can add the effects to the buildings for you.

It should be ready sometime in April or May unless I get really lazy.:sleep:

Best Regards

Steve

Pat Pattle
February 12th, 2009, 07:30
As you know I currently don't have a flyable aircraft only a project and I want to actively pursue one the next couple of months which will mean some travel. I also have some mods I want to get done on my car. I will be drastically reducing the time I spend on CFS 3 development this year so things will take a little longer to get done. I will be working on MAW part time the first half of the year.

I am building the Dunkirk effects so they can be used either as a free standing invisible facility that can be placed on top of any factory, refinery, town, etc.. Or the effects can be built in to the individual buildings you are placing in your Dunkirk facility. To activate the effects you can either bomb the town, or place the invisible facility called bomb explosions on top of the facility you want destroyed and it will attack the enemy buildings and destroy them casuing the fires and smoke. I used this effect in the

Well done you Steve, after all you've put in to this project you deserve a rest!!
Get yourself an aircraft sorted and post some pictures please!
What mods are you planning on making on that gorgeous car of yours btw?

I like placing effects under buildings as you did with Hawkinge. It makes life very easy and it can be added to any building/ship/object etc just by duplicating the line in the facility.xml and putting the effect 'vehicle' in place. This is what I've done with Dunkirk, will post some piccies later.

edit..here's the latest on Dunkirk using the existing effects (which are just brilliant) talk about immersion flying around in this stuff! fps effect is very low surprisingly. :)

http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr332/Pat_Pattle/Dumkirk_cfs3.jpg

Clive :ernae:

Led Zeppelin
February 12th, 2009, 11:03
beautifull, can't wait to dive into this hell on earth place with a Ju87!!

Pat Pattle
February 12th, 2009, 11:15
beautifull, can't wait to dive into this hell on earth place with a Ju87!!

Thanks Led, this mission will be in ETO 1.2, hopefully some mission builders will be able to do some more with it. :)

remcoc
February 12th, 2009, 23:05
This really is great. I like the idea of the nightstorm too. Good news for TOW!

RemcoC