PDA

View Full Version : HOTAS Cougar maintenance

Squiffy
February 11th, 2009, 10:49
Hi gang,

I am researching some maintenance on my Cougar to see about replacing the gimbals that are starting to wear. The grease disappeared a while ago when I was cleaning the pots and checking the springs. The new aftermarket parts are quite expensive. Anyone get parts from Guillemot? I could buy a Saitek system and a Logitec racing wheel and pedals for less than the parts.

Squiffy
February 11th, 2009, 15:25
OK 20 views so here's round 2...

If you own one, have you added grease or done any other maintenance?

Squiffy
February 11th, 2009, 16:24
Cheap but it helps. I just opened it up again, pulled out the cruddy masking tape that didnt' last a day. Cleaned it up, added three small pieces of, you guessed it, duct tape to each side of the "post" that sticks through the roll gimbal. :173go1: Then added the last gobs of white lithium, that I could scrape for the nozel of my dead grease can, to the post and slot that was wearing in the roll gimbal. It was pretty tight but eliminated most of the play beyond normal spring play. This had the added bonus of regreasing the once dry slide surface that was wearing in the first place. I'll test it tonight. Cost = $0, materials on hand. We can call this my Duct Tape Roll Bushings. I'll let you know how long it lasts or doesnt last.

:whistle:

Vogelscheuche
February 11th, 2009, 21:13
Don't waste your time with stock replacement parts.

Check this out: http://www.hanskrohn.com/Overview/Cougar_Stick/Cougar_Joystick.htm

Squiffy
February 13th, 2009, 11:03
Thanks Vogel. Love the DVIII but the cost is a little high right now. We'll see how it goes after the budget meetings.