PDA

View Full Version : OT-Perplexing Computer Issue

Milton Shupe
July 3rd, 2017, 08:41
I have this svchost.exe running constantly using 50% cpu steady; must be looping as it slows down everything.

If I End Task, I lose Sounds; no output or mic input support; says they are disabled or not available.

I have checked drivers, hardware, settings, everything I can think of.

Any ideas how I might isolate this issue?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that this is for my development computer running W/XP SP3

Mach3DS
July 3rd, 2017, 08:49
Yes, you can download a number of freeware apps that will actually open the svhost( s ) that that are running and tell you what programs are part of that service host. You can then stop them or isolate them or delete them individually.

roger-wilco-66
July 3rd, 2017, 08:54
Milton,

you could download Sysinternals ProcessExplorer

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer.aspx

and have a gander to check which exact process (well, sort of...) runs in the svchost context.

From afar I would speculate that you might have an old (maybe even default) sound driver struggling around. A remedy would be to de-install it and try a recent one.

HTH,
Mark

Milton Shupe
July 3rd, 2017, 09:05
Forgot to mention this for my development computer running Win/XP SP3

Thanks for your responses ...

MarkH
July 3rd, 2017, 09:18
Forgot to mention this for my development computer running Win/XP SP3

Dunno how far it gets you but in Win7 you can just right-click on the svchost instance and select 'go to services', then it highlights all the services this is running. It might get you a bit further on.

Milton Shupe
July 3rd, 2017, 09:28
Thanks for your help.

Found the issue using the SysInternals Process Explorer.

The issue was Windows update process trying to run (I guess).

wuauclt was the process highlighted under that svchost.exe.

I turned off Windows Updates (why was that on for XP?), and that corrected the issue.

Thanks again :-)

roger-wilco-66
July 3rd, 2017, 09:47
Hehe, that was an old error. Glad it worked!

Cheers,
Mark

Milton Shupe
July 3rd, 2017, 10:00

Cheers,
Mark

Thank you Mark for the link. Worked great, even in XP although it said it was a 64 bit program.

I appreciate everyone's quick responses. You all are great! :applause:

hairyspin
July 3rd, 2017, 13:46
Unidentified automatic updates can be a real pain. I once had a Google app update hogging the processor until it was turned off. Wasn't even a program I used much.

Milton Shupe
July 3rd, 2017, 14:59

Cheers,
Mark

Mark, two indications that something was wrong:

1) sluggishness, and
2) CPU temps were running 7-8 degrees hotter than normal (which I had never seen on this computer)

txnetcop
July 3rd, 2017, 15:13
I got to the party too late...sorry Milton. You made the right choice of programs to run!
Ted