PDA

View Full Version : Sudden loss of framerates

Brian_Gladden
February 11th, 2009, 04:39
Hope someone can help here.

I had old copies of Ground environment and flight environment on my computer. I hadn't installed them into my new FS9 install but the other night I did.

Looked great but the loss of performance wasn't worth it. So, I uninstalled both programs and restored the original textures.

And My frames are still just as slow as they were with them installed.

What the heck happened??

I went from a nice smooth locked 24 fps to a choppy 15 :help:

All I can think of is that one of these programs affected something somewhere.

I think the culprit is flight environment since GE seemed to work fine (did a few flights in between installations) But I'm not sure.

Brian

extrudinator
February 11th, 2009, 05:39
Rename your FS9.CFG file to something like "FS9.BAK" and start FS9. It will generate a new FS9.CFG. If you see any improvement, you will know where to start looking. Good luck!

Wing_Z
February 11th, 2009, 11:28
I think the culprit is flight environment since GE seemed to work fine (did a few flights in between installations) But I'm not sure...Brian
Might just be worth doing a System Restore to a point prior to both installations.
You will lose all changes of course (including aircraft.cfg changes)
I'd be interested in your result - I have FE and GE PRO, and sometimes have texture clashes (I suspect) leading to stutters.

Brian_Gladden
February 13th, 2009, 04:43
Not sure exactly what is still going on but I deleted the FS9 cfg. let FS build a new one and I got 12 fps. I slid the fps slider down to 16 and I got 9 fps???

Put the slider to unlimited and I got 35!!! (Default 172 at Bela Coola BC stock mesh and UT Canada.

What (expletive deleted) is going on. FS has never done that before.

Anyway, I set the frame rate slider at 40 and I get a nice consistent 28-30 in the same area.

Not sure what happened but at least I can fly again.

Brian

harleyman
February 13th, 2009, 05:14
I don't really know whats going on..But both my sims have done that to me in the past..Causing me to just start over with all the settings and sliders..

Check your Nvidia Control panel and in game settings carefully....Perhaps somehow some AA or AF or Mipmap settings got changed...

Dangerousdave26
February 13th, 2009, 05:43
Brian

I have always had that situation. With my frame rates locked at 25 I get a constant 20fps until I hit clouds in the winter. Then I drop down to 9, 10 12, 15 just depends on the clouds. I always thought that it was a normal situation to run lower than you are locked.

I would suggest starting to look at a more basic level and take the cover off your PC and inspect cooling fans and fins for Debris and a failing fan. You may be experiencing a heating porblem that is slowing down processing speed.

Good Luck

srgalahad
February 13th, 2009, 08:12
:amen:

Brian

I would suggest starting to look at a more basic level and take the cover off your PC and inspect cooling fans and fins for Debris and a failing fan. You may be experiencing a heating porblem that is slowing down processing speed.

Good Luck

Last summer my frame rates just dropped to the point FS9 was unflyable. Without intervention (I thought) they came back. But over the summer I'd done my normal mtce. - dusted, cleaned inside the case (wasn't THAT bad), reseated all the cards and connectors and I guess it worked or scared FS9 into behaving. Dust bunnies are not your friend!

Dust/crud on fans can cause drag and spoil airflow. Heat/cooling cycles can cause connectors to loosen and cards to shift. Moving the box can jiggle things loose. Just watch that 'canned air' stuff. it can supercool parts and drive dirt deeper.

Rob

Brian_Gladden
February 13th, 2009, 09:02
It was the cooling. I pulled the case apart and the heat sink was packed full of crud! Also all 4 of my fans were coated

Two cans of air later, I have a clean case and FS9 is running in the high 40's in rural areas and now I can get a nice solid 24 (locked) in FSX:jump:

:ernae: to you guys for pointing me in the right direction.

Brian

OBIO
February 13th, 2009, 09:25
A few tips on using the canned stuff to clean you system:

Never shake the can, never tip the can...doing these can cause the spray to be wet....moisture and electronics are not good matches.

Use it sparingly....the force of the spray can force dust and debris deeper into crevices.

Never allow your cooling fan blades to spin with the spray....those fans are only rated for certain rmps...the spray can cause the fan to spin faster than it is rated for and can cause damage to the fan motor/bearing, resulting in a shortened lifespan of the fan.

Let the system set open for a few hours after using the spray to allow total evaporation of the spray and for the fumes to clear out of the box before shutting it up.

Tips for good system cleaning:

Have a good, clean and dry toothbrush on hand....use the tooth brush to get the dust and crud off of memory sticks, video cards, out of heat sinks, etc. I buy a few cheap ones every few months just for cleaning my system.

Vacuums RULE....especially those small battery powered ones made for cleaning electronics...those small tips can get into those hard to reach places.

Don't be afraid to pull the system apart....pulling memory stick, video cards, sound cards will make it easier to get them totally clean and to let you get any dust cleaned out of the sockets they sit in.

Monthly....I clean my system monthly.....keeps it nice and clean, keeps it running cooler, keeps my frame rates up.

OBIO