PDA

View Full Version : Vietnam War Project

falcon409
June 13th, 2017, 17:08
Has anyone kept up with this site? I have moved the scenery over to P3D_V4 and for the most part it works very well. There are some elevation problems but that's to be expected. . .you simply ignore them and move on. I was going to download the entire package this morning and ensure that I still have everything, but some of the links are dead now including the very important one that contains the latest Object Library.

roger-wilco-66
June 13th, 2017, 22:18
PM sent!

Cheers,
Mark

mazdarodi
June 13th, 2017, 22:34
Hi, I'd like that link too if possible, I would really like to be flying that scenery, always wanted to take Piglets Porter and try out all those Lima Sites! Not to mention attempt to land at LS20A with the C-123... will be fun!

p14u2nv
June 13th, 2017, 23:04
I too can not find the "...latest Object Library" either.

The only object files that I have are: VN_War_Mil_Obj.zip, EZ_Object_Library.zip and Essential_Library_21Sep11.zip.

These files combined are 345 MB. Are these the grouped object libraries? Hard to figure out if I have the right ones as required.

Here's the link mazdarodi (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/member.php/92456-mazdarodi): http://vietnamwar.project.free.fr/

awstub
June 14th, 2017, 11:06
They haven't been keeping up with it, unfortunately. We have been trying to contact them to get permission to use parts of it for the FSX@War Southeast Asia theater.

Has anyone kept up with this site? I have moved the scenery over to P3D_V4 and for the most part it works very well. There are some elevation problems but that's to be expected. . .you simply ignore them and move on. I was going to download the entire package this morning and ensure that I still have everything, but some of the links are dead now including the very important one that contains the latest Object Library.

ceo1944
June 14th, 2017, 11:11
This project, while awesome, doesn't appear to be maintained any more. It hasn't been updated for FSX although it mostly works with it.

I'll note that FSX@War has released their "Southeast Asia Pack" which contains most of the airports in the Vietnam War Project -- and it's an ongoing development project, totally FSX and P3D compatible.

Some of the advantages are that all airport objects are destroyable, and the airports have quite a low frame rate impact. In this initial package there's quite an emphasis on targets in North Vietnam and Laos. Multiple bridges and infrastructure targets, and quite a detailed target list along the Ho Chi Minh trail including, for example, Tchepone and its environment.

I myself removed the old project in favor of this one. We are basing our SE Asia missions for FSCaptain RED around it. It does require FSX@War to work, though.

Just so you know.

Dutch

I too can not find the "...latest Object Library" either.

The only object files that I have are: VN_War_Mil_Obj.zip, EZ_Object_Library.zip and Essential_Library_21Sep11.zip.

These files combined are 345 MB. Are these the grouped object libraries? Hard to figure out if I have the right ones as required.

Here's the link mazdarodi (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/member.php/92456-mazdarodi): http://vietnamwar.project.free.fr/

roger-wilco-66
June 14th, 2017, 11:56
Oh, FSX@SEA totally went by me!

Forum entry with link:

https://forum.fsxwar.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1249

Cheers,
Mark

falcon409
June 14th, 2017, 12:48
Oh, FSX@SEA totally went by me!

Forum entry with link:
https://forum.fsxwar.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1249

Cheers,
Mark
Hi Mark,

Got your PM and also tried the download link for FSXWar. After viewing FSXWar, that's not really what I'm looking for. I don't do Missions and that appears to be the thrust of what that's about. If you can, just Zip what you have from the original Vietnam War Project and I'll use that. I suspect that over time some of that original pack got corrupted on my system. I have dropbox if that would make the transfer any easier.

Thanks

spokes2112
June 14th, 2017, 17:05
Ed, I have the following on my archive drive -

VnW_AA1.zip
VnW_AP1.zip
VnW_V09.zip
VnW_VVGN.zip

I believe these were used in the SOH 2016 MP event "Vietnam Jets".
Are these the packages you need?

Willy
June 14th, 2017, 17:27
The scenery we used for the Vietnam Jets worked for the most part. But, every time I got within 10 miles of Saigon, I'd get a crash to desk top. As it was, I couldn't complete the event.

roger-wilco-66
June 15th, 2017, 00:18
Hi Mark,

Got your PM and also tried the download link for FSXWar. After viewing FSXWar, that's not really what I'm looking for. I don't do Missions and that appears to be the thrust of what that's about. If you can, just Zip what you have from the original Vietnam War Project and I'll use that. I suspect that over time some of that original pack got corrupted on my system. I have dropbox if that would make the transfer any easier.

Thanks

Ed,

the FSX@War SEA scenery should work without the mission system. I'll have a gander at it today and report back.

Cheers,
Mark

awstub
June 16th, 2017, 13:10
Currently, the FSX@War Southeast Asia theater is a beta version and just static scenery. Initially, there was less of a focus on South Vietnam because there was almost nothing, scenery-wise, for North Vietnam and Laos.....so if you want to just fly in the south, Vietnam War Project is the better choice for now. We're still keeping our fingers crossed that we'll be able to make contact with the original devs and get their permission to include it.
The scenery objects in the theater pack were placed according to historical documentation (declassified reports, maps and photographs) and they are modeled in three states, undamaged, damaged and destroyed. This includes the hundreds of AAA sites in Laos alone. The flak sites do not "work" yet, but the FSX@War team plans to eventually get them working (and making them lethal), as well as adding other features.
The scenery can be used with the FSX mission system or just as general scenery for free flight. It can be used along with Vietnam War project scenery, but it requires a little bit of tweaking (i.e. Da Nang ends up with elements of both FSX@War and VnW if you try to run both). The theater scenery also works very well with the FSX@War Carrier and Convoy planner.

falcon409
June 16th, 2017, 14:12
Thanks to all who responded with suggestions and offers of downloading all or portions of the original Vietnam War Project package. While I do have both FSX and P3D_V4 installed, it is V4 which has taken center stage with the move to 64bit. My desire to fly Vietnam War Era Scenery is driven by my Air Force history and the bases I visited during my assignment to Binh Thuy AB not long after the "Tet Offensive" in early 1968. FSX is most suited for the scenery however it is V4 that I am building and the changes brought by the 64bit process have made bits and pieces of that package a bit quirky to say the least. I am persevering and will weed out the "undesirables" and pull together the remaining objects. . .possibly building my own to fill in where necessary.

FSX@War is an interesting package but I found it a bit confusing since the FSX@War program seemed completely disconnected from the sim, P3D_V4 doesn't use missions so the files are not recognizable and I experienced too many "lock ups" before ever getting in the air, so I uninstalled that completely.

Thanks again for the kind assistance by all.

p14u2nv
June 16th, 2017, 19:43
This project, while awesome, doesn't appear to be maintained any more. It hasn't been updated for FSX although it mostly works with it.

I'll note that FSX@War has released their "Southeast Asia Pack" which contains most of the airports in the Vietnam War Project -- and it's an ongoing development project, totally FSX and P3D compatible.

Some of the advantages are that all airport objects are destroyable, and the airports have quite a low frame rate impact. In this initial package there's quite an emphasis on targets in North Vietnam and Laos. Multiple bridges and infrastructure targets, and quite a detailed target list along the Ho Chi Minh trail including, for example, Tchepone and its environment.

I myself removed the old project in favor of this one. We are basing our SE Asia missions for FSCaptain RED around it. It does require FSX@War to work, though.

Just so you know.

Dutch

Thank you very much Dutch, I appreciate the guidance to FSX@War.

p14u2nv
June 16th, 2017, 20:22

Just so you know.

Dutch

Thank you very much Dutch, I appreciate the guidance to FSX@War. Is there a Forum in English version?

awstub
June 17th, 2017, 06:14
The FSX@War forums are here https://forum.fsxwar.com// One of the sub-sections is English....however there are a lot of English language posts in the regular (French) forums as well.

Thank you very much Dutch, I appreciate the guidance to FSX@War. Is there a Forum in English version?

awstub
June 17th, 2017, 06:31
It is a little confusing, that's for sure.

Though I understand that you are not interested in getting it to work, I offer these comments for others that might be...

When you first install FSX@War, you have to also add it as addon scenery withinn FSX/P3d.
Theater files also have to be installed and added to your add-on scenery when they are first installed.
FSX@War has to be running in the background in order to see it properly within your flight sim.
You also have to enable the theater in the Tactical Engagement editor to see it's objects.
Once you have it all set up to your liking it only takes a few seconds to get it up and running for your simulator sessions.

When you first go into a flight in FSX or P3d you will see a noticeable frame rate drop for a minute or two while it is placing objects in the flight sim.
Once it finishes populating everything your frame rate should return to normal.

Hopefully this is helpful to everyone.

Thanks to all who responded with suggestions and offers of downloading all or portions of the original Vietnam War Project package. While I do have both FSX and P3D_V4 installed, it is V4 which has taken center stage with the move to 64bit. My desire to fly Vietnam War Era Scenery is driven by my Air Force history and the bases I visited during my assignment to Binh Thuy AB not long after the "Tet Offensive" in early 1968. FSX is most suited for the scenery however it is V4 that I am building and the changes brought by the 64bit process have made bits and pieces of that package a bit quirky to say the least. I am persevering and will weed out the "undesirables" and pull together the remaining objects. . .possibly building my own to fill in where necessary.

FSX@War is an interesting package but I found it a bit confusing since the FSX@War program seemed completely disconnected from the sim, P3D_V4 doesn't use missions so the files are not recognizable and I experienced too many "lock ups" before ever getting in the air, so I uninstalled that completely.

Thanks again for the kind assistance by all.

p14u2nv
June 17th, 2017, 13:06
The FSX@War forums are here https://forum.fsxwar.com// One of the sub-sections is English....however there are a lot of English language posts in the regular (French) forums as well.

Thanks awstub, I looked and never saw that lower section