PDA

View Full Version : Scenery Config Editor in P3DV4?

papab
June 5th, 2017, 18:44
Will it work?
Has anyone tried?

I have not migrated over yet ,waiting on all of my addons to be upgraded before I move
This is a valuable tool and it seems that the scenery files are in a different format in V4...

Rick

EDIT: Just found this link to a posting on AVSIM forums, seems to be problems with current build because of the different formats..
https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/511372-scenery-config-editor-v3-and-v4/

jeansy
June 5th, 2017, 20:24
im using it, on startup the goes to P3D v3 cfg however you can open v4 cfg via "open another file" and then edit, do all the features and save to v4

ive been using it to add a heap of ported scenery in v4, and no problems, except the files added to the stupid addon files folder

its funny that a heap of devs say their programs dont work in v4, i can think of 5 programs right now that work fine once pointed in the right direction which the devs say wont or wouldnt work

flaviossa
June 5th, 2017, 20:26
I read that they will release a compatible version soon (1.1.8)

vora
June 6th, 2017, 02:20
The version 1.1.8 is already out and I used it for two days without any problems.

https://eldritchkitty.com/~andrew/SceneryConfigEditor-installer-1.1.8-SNAPSHOT.exe

flaviossa
June 6th, 2017, 06:19
Is it a beta version? In the oficial page it reads 1.1.7 as the newest one until now: https://sourceforge.net/projects/fs-sceditor/files/
:encouragement:

vora
June 6th, 2017, 06:44
They call it "snapshot", so yes, it's probably beta, but I use it for two days straight adding tons of scenery to P3Dv4. Works flawlessly for me.

Naismith
June 6th, 2017, 09:25
Wondering, is there any precautions to take with retaining the settings from 1.17 when upgrading to 1.18. I really do not want to have to reset all my carefully edited sceneries into groupings again?

papab
June 6th, 2017, 13:18
Thank you everyone for the information!
Rick

flaviossa
June 10th, 2017, 10:44
Final version 1.1.8 with support for p3dv4 released.

Naismith
June 10th, 2017, 23:15
Seamlessly installed the update. Great piece of software especially for those who have a tone of add on scenery.

modelr
June 11th, 2017, 05:36
Final version 1.1.9 with support for p3dv4 just released.

papab
June 11th, 2017, 05:59
Final version 1.1.9 with support for p3dv4 just released.
Thank you
Rick

Crusader
June 12th, 2017, 06:18
I have been using this freeware scenery.cfg organizer and have not had any problems . It can be found over at Avsim forums . Does about everything you need to do and makes a couple backups of your config files . I've read quite a few positive comments about it . Here is a link to the thread and site . This same dev I believe did the Thumbnail Generator and several other small programs for FSX and P3D. The " P3DV4 Organizer " was specifically made for P3Dv4 . It is beta and he updates it frequently . As I mentioned , have not had any problems so far . I add , delete , move scenery in library up and down (priority) and it automatically generates cfg backups .

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/511794-how-to-manually-add-sceneryaddons-into-p3d-v4-the-right-way/?do=findComment&comment=3642943

Rich

falcon409
June 13th, 2017, 03:47
All the years I've been simming (23+ so far) I've never used any editor, never had scenery issues (at least that I couldn't figure out myself and correct) and simply load my scenery into the Scenery Library and go fly. I currently have 90 Airports (just freeware, that doesn't include payware which would add another 20 probably), most of those are my custom built airports comprising over 100gig of bgls and textures. Beyond that there is custom mesh I made for quite a few Island areas and then all of the Vietnam Project and with all that through the years nary a problem.

Obviously there is a need for a cfg editor, otherwise there would be no need to develop one. . .but what is it used for and is it something I really need?

vora
June 13th, 2017, 04:09
Obviously there is a need for a cfg editor, otherwise there would be no need to develop one. . .but what is it used for and is it something I really need?

In my case it's simply for not having to load up a flight in the simulator just to get access to the scenery library. If they'd put it in the starting screen like the options I wouldn't use the configurator.
I have a lot of sceneries and I like to order and name them according to their position (continent, north to south) so I don't lose oversight. That would be just too laborius to do in a normal editor.

Naismith
June 13th, 2017, 08:31
Here is the reason I use, mainly as a loading time reduction tool. Plus Vora makes a very good point.

https://youtu.be/W-DMMMse3UA

modelr
June 13th, 2017, 17:54
As Naismith said, I use it for loading times. I have all of the Megascenery Earth USA titles, a large quantity of ORBX scenery, plus a large amount of cities and airports. If I let the sim load all of them, it takes over a 3/4 hour to start up, and with P3D's reload scheme, doing a full reload whenever the sim is paused for a menu check item, or crash, etc, flying time is non-existent. This program allows me to group cities, states, into areas, which can be turned on or off, depending on where I want to fly this flight, making the load much, much quicker. Being able to do it without starting the sim is the biggest help. same goes with installing new sceneries, not necessary to start the sim to install, reorder, regroup, edit, etc. And errors are pinpointed immediately. It has become an indispensable tool for me.

papab
June 19th, 2017, 11:32
Okay I installed version 1.1.9 Scenery Config editor,I still have P3DV3.4.22
Ever since I updated the FSDT addon manager it moved all of the FSDT and Flight Beam sceneries to:C\ programs (86x)\Addon Manager\FSDT or FB

The new version of Scenery editor still does not find those locations to list the sceneries in the Scenery editor

Any ideas?

Rick