PDA

View Full Version : D18S Amphib Next ...

Milton Shupe
June 5th, 2017, 14:30
Working on this one now; first shot in the sim with texture conversions done.

Both cargo and passenger versions available.

blanston12
June 5th, 2017, 14:32
:applause: Great news! I will really be looking forward to that one!

Roger
June 5th, 2017, 16:02
Excellent!

Penzoil3
June 5th, 2017, 16:17
Would that happen to come with xml gauges ?
Sue

manfredc3
June 5th, 2017, 19:02
Oeh, that is VERY nice

Milton Shupe
June 5th, 2017, 19:14
:applause: Great news! I will really be looking forward to that one!

Yes, since Bjoern is doing the wheeled version, I thought I would get the amphibian done. Looking great too!

Excellent!

Thank you Sir :-)

Would that happen to come with xml gauges ?
Sue

Of course; all gauges are xml. All textures and custom programming is FSXA XML.

Oeh, that is VERY nice

Just got all the animations done with two minor issues to be fixed. Does super well on land and water. :jump:

Now will move into the VC to do those animations and tooltips.

simtech
June 5th, 2017, 19:29
Looking, great... can't wait until we can gets its feet wet. Excellent job.. Thank you.

Willy
June 5th, 2017, 19:37
Interestingly enough, I recently redid my ol' cargo amphib paint for it. Might have to see how it works out in FSX native instead of a port over.

ryanbatc
June 5th, 2017, 20:32
Those things are pretty rare. There is a float version that used to be based here in Duluth, Sky Harbor KDYT. They used to come up to the big airport where I work for low approaches or occasional ILS approaches.

Sorry about the frozen props... this was before I really knew what I was doing with photography hehe.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r43/ryanbatc/even%20more%20fs/beech18floats.jpg (http://s141.photobucket.com/user/ryanbatc/media/even%20more%20fs/beech18floats.jpg.html)

PhantomTweak
June 5th, 2017, 21:51
Wow, great looking bird. Can't wait. \
You keep this up, Mr. Shupe, sir, I will need to get a bigger HD! I'm gonna run out of room eventually...
Looking forward to this release. Hope the water effects are as good as all the others have been!
Pat☺

BendyFlyer
June 5th, 2017, 21:53
Well this will be welcome Milton. I have coincidentally just spent a bit of time mucking about with the port-over version which I somehow confused with one of the other wheeled versions and then again with a one off version with a different VC with predictable results, a stuff up. (Teach me yet again to keep a log of what I am doing some times) Now I can relax and await the FSX Native.

PeteHam
June 5th, 2017, 23:43
Oh yessssssss :jump: :jump:

Life's a Beech :applause: :applause:

Pete.

txnetcop
June 6th, 2017, 03:30
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAWWWWWWWWWWW FANTASTIC!
Ted

PhantomTweak
June 6th, 2017, 11:14
Now, Ted, don't be shy like that. Tell us how you really feel. Stop beating around the bush. You must be more honest with yourself

:biggrin-new: :very_drunk: :encouragement:

Pat☺

davido53
June 6th, 2017, 13:21
Beautiful textures...my dad used to fly one of the land versions.

Portia911
June 6th, 2017, 14:05
Looking forward to this, Milton - any chance you can place some rear 'cargo' textures for us Air Hauler tragics (?)

Milton Shupe
June 6th, 2017, 17:33
Thanks for the comments. Just finalizing the cargo version with a few minor tweaks yet.

Yes, there is cargo in the back just as with the original.

I will contact a few texture artists to request permissions to include their textures with the package. Maybe by the time I finish the passenger version, I will hear back from them.

Here are a few textures from Urs Burkhardt, Manfred [Mani] D.Saliger , and Damian Radice; just some of the many that are available for download.

paiken
June 6th, 2017, 17:50
Looking forward to this, Milton - any chance you can place some rear 'cargo' textures for us Air Hauler tragics (?)

This one will definitely be in my Air Hauler 2 fleet...in Prepar3d v4. I'm having so much more enjoyment flying in v4 than I've had in years. AH2 works very well (just be sure to install the SimConnect included in P3dv4). I've finally uninstalled FSX from my computer...no going back!

Willy
June 6th, 2017, 20:04

Not the textures as supplied by Milton, but this should give an idea of the cargo

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50636&stc=1

And for the curious, the exterior...

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50637&stc=1

I recently redid this for an online flight we've got going, but it's now getting reworked with an eye to FSX native.

Gooneybird565
June 7th, 2017, 06:27
Great news, Milton
Have installed P3Dv4 and transferred some aircrafts from the v3. Whereas your Aero Commanders native FSX versions look fine there, the Beech 18 (stock, or FSX portovers) do not display anymore into v4 on my system (as do some other of my favorite birds.
Knowing that the amphib and wheeled versions are on the workbench make my day, as I now know they will be back into my hangar!
Thank you to all involved :jump:

Philippe

Milton Shupe
June 7th, 2017, 07:08
Not the textures as supplied by Milton, but this should give an idea of the cargo

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50636&stc=1

And for the curious, the exterior...

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50637&stc=1

I recently redid this for an online flight we've got going, but it's now getting reworked with an eye to FSX native.

That looks great Willy; love the cargo textures inside.

Milton Shupe
June 7th, 2017, 07:10
Great news, Milton
Have installed P3Dv4 and transferred some aircrafts from the v3. Whereas your Aero Commanders native FSX versions look fine there, the Beech 18 (stock, or FSX portovers) do not display anymore into v4 on my system (as do some other of my favorite birds.
Knowing that the amphib and wheeled versions are on the workbench make my day, as I now know they will be back into my hangar!
Thank you to all involved :jump:

Philippe

Thank you Philippe; the Beech D18S amphibian should be available soon for testing. You are welcome to try it out when ready ... I will post it in this thread.

Milton Shupe
June 7th, 2017, 07:17
I think I now have the cargo amphibian ready for testing.

I am going to see what the work load looks like to convert it to a passenger carrier before setting up a beta for the cargo version.

If it's going to take a while, I will send out a cargo beta first, otherwise, I will combine the two.

PhantomTweak
June 7th, 2017, 12:36
Will the cargo version, with all the cargo installed abaft, have the weights listed for all that cargo, or even just slots for adding the weight in? Just looking for the "realism" factor.
Pat☺

Milton Shupe
June 7th, 2017, 15:18
Will the cargo version, with all the cargo installed abaft, have the weights listed for all that cargo, or even just slots for adding the weight in? Just looking for the "realism" factor.
Pat☺

Pat, there are 12 stations, two of which are for the pilots.

Eight are currently populated with passenger weights but they can be changed however you wish as long as you respect the CoG limits.

Milton Shupe
June 7th, 2017, 18:51
Amphibian Passenger version mods are completed and now in my final testing. If all goes well, I should be able to get out a beta of both versions Thursday.

falcon409
June 7th, 2017, 19:53
Excellent work as always Milton. Another great Classic getting the dust wiped off.:jump:

blanston12
June 7th, 2017, 20:43
Excellent news! Would love to help test this.

Milton Shupe
June 8th, 2017, 04:41
Excellent news! Would love to help test this.

Thanks guys. I should have the beta ready in a few hours.

Willy
June 8th, 2017, 04:44
Thanks guys. I should have the beta ready in a few hours.

Looking forward to it.

Milton Shupe
June 8th, 2017, 11:53
The Beta is posted:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=106063

aspen31
June 8th, 2017, 13:49
Hi Milton
I flew the machine for about 30 minutes in Prepar3d 3.4 around Long Lake, NY and aside from the usual start problem it is pretty much flawless. I can't manually start - the start push button highlights with the mouse but does not move and the left and right switch moves but does not appear to function (again Prepar3D). I have read that improved results may be obtained by adjusting starter torque in the .cfg so I'll try that tomorrow. In this sim the D-18 has better water movement characteristics than in previous versions at least for me. It taxis well and the takeoff roll seems quite accurate at non adjusted loads and full fuel. The approach speed and landing water roll also seem very accurate.
Another great job. Thanks for all the hard work.
Warren (aspen31)

Milton Shupe
June 8th, 2017, 16:15
Hi Milton
I flew the machine for about 30 minutes in Prepar3d 3.4 around Long Lake, NY and aside from the usual start problem it is pretty much flawless. I can't manually start - the start push button highlights with the mouse but does not move and the left and right switch moves but does not appear to function (again Prepar3D). I have read that improved results may be obtained by adjusting starter torque in the .cfg so I'll try that tomorrow. In this sim the D-18 has better water movement characteristics than in previous versions at least for me. It taxis well and the takeoff roll seems quite accurate at non adjusted loads and full fuel. The approach speed and landing water roll also seem very accurate.
Another great job. Thanks for all the hard work.
Warren (aspen31)

Thank you Warren; I appreciate the feedback.

I am working to get the starter issue resolved.

Milton Shupe
June 8th, 2017, 16:25
Does anyone know how to contact Manfred [Mani] D.Saliger?

He was/is a member of Bush-Pilots.net, a German site.
I cannot get that site to translate and I can find no reference to his name in postings there.

I would like to request permission to use his "Xpress" livery in the D18S Amphibian release.
That is an excellent paint scheme.

banjoman1960
June 9th, 2017, 02:37
work´s great in p3dv3
thank´s,nice to have a favorite back:ernaehrung004:
cheers Ralf

simondix
June 9th, 2017, 03:32
Seems to work OK in V4 as well.

Milton Shupe
June 9th, 2017, 07:20
Thanks to Spokes2112, we have finally resolved the Starter issue. :applause: :jump:

falcon409
June 9th, 2017, 07:38
Thanks to Spokes2112, we have finally resolved the Starter issue. :applause: :jump:
Way to go Spokes!!!

aspen31
June 9th, 2017, 13:46
Hi Milton
Thanks for the work on the start system. Today I had a little more time and tried a manual start again without changing anything. I started the sim and the D-18 with engines running and shut them down with the mixture. This time the red button depressed and the manipulating left / switch caused the engines to crank not in the order selected - but by toggling back and forth eventually both left and right would start - not sure exactly why but a start is a start it seems. I'm encouraged that you may have found a solution and look forward to seeing the finished airplane. I have not found any other switch or control problem.
Incidentally this machine flies to me more accurately in P3D V3.4 than in previous iterations. I have not flown it in FSX.
Much appreciated.
Warren (aspen31)

Milton Shupe
June 9th, 2017, 15:05
Hi Milton
Thanks for the work on the start system. Today I had a little more time and tried a manual start again without changing anything. I started the sim and the D-18 with engines running and shut them down with the mixture. This time the red button depressed and the manipulating left / switch caused the engines to crank not in the order selected - but by toggling back and forth eventually both left and right would start - not sure exactly why but a start is a start it seems. I'm encouraged that you may have found a solution and look forward to seeing the finished airplane. I have not found any other switch or control problem.
Incidentally this machine flies to me more accurately in P3D V3.4 than in previous iterations. I have not flown it in FSX.
Much appreciated.
Warren (aspen31)

Warren, yes, that switch behavior is the same for me in FSXA. It is resolved now; works flawlessly so far, thanks to Spokes2112.

aspen31
June 9th, 2017, 16:20
Thanks very much Milton
Will the fix be included in the final release?
All the best!
Warren

Milton Shupe
June 9th, 2017, 16:31
Thanks very much Milton
Will the fix be included in the final release?
All the best!
Warren

Yes, of course. I can attach the gauge here if you know how to put it in the .cab file, or decompress the cab file to a folder.

The gauge will only work for the FSX version (not FS9 versions).

I am hoping to release the final version this weekend but was awaiting more test reports. So far, this is the only reported issue.

simtech
June 9th, 2017, 19:35
Mr. Shupe, just a followup with many kudos for a wonderful airplane. I've had fun plunking down in the lakes in Alaska and the PNW. As a confirmation, your updated starter guage file works so much smoother and better than the original. I had more problem creating the new .cab than anything else. Finally fingered it out and it works like a charm in FSX-A. I love the Bush Pilot texture. Thank you again . Not much else to add to the plane, unless you can place a smiling sweetie in the right seat..:biggrin-new:

Great Job.. thank you again.. Terry

spokes2112
June 9th, 2017, 21:12
Hi Milton,

You mentioned FSX only.. If and only if, there was any problem in FS9 with the starter, this code should (99.9%) go back to 9 & hopefully go forward beyond P3Dv6.9, HA! :biggrin-new:
Glad it's working for y'all

Keep cool, (cuz it's going to be hot as hades in WI)
Roman

banjoman1960
June 9th, 2017, 21:56
Yes, of course. I can attach the gauge here if you know how to put it in the .cab file, or decompress the cab file to a folder.

I am hoping to release the final version this weekend but was awaiting more test reports. So far, this is the only reported issue.

maybee use this vcckptroof for final version?:ernaehrung004:

Milton Shupe
June 10th, 2017, 03:51
Hi Milton,

You mentioned FSX only.. If and only if, there was any problem in FS9 with the starter, this code should (99.9%) go back to 9 & hopefully go forward beyond P3Dv6.9, HA! :biggrin-new:
Glad it's working for y'all

Keep cool, (cuz it's going to be hot as hades in WI)
Roman

Roman,

Yes, the FS9 side had the same switch, same problem.

Yup, 102 here today in SE NM.

Milton Shupe
June 10th, 2017, 04:03
Roman,

Yes, the FS9 side had the same switch, same problem.

Yup, 102 here today in SE NM.

The reason I said FSX only is I only tested it there, as you had tested there only. I'll try it on the FS9 side here shortly.

Milton Shupe
June 10th, 2017, 04:09
The reason I said FSX only is I only tested it there, as you had tested there only. I'll try it on the FS9 side here shortly.

Happy to report that the starter switch works perfectly in FS9 D18S variants as well.

Milton Shupe
June 10th, 2017, 04:12

I should have stated in my quote above that I only tested the switch in FSX native version.

I can now report that the FS9 versions work with this starter gauge as well.

Milton Shupe
June 10th, 2017, 05:00
For many of you who asked about a starter fix for the D18S, we now have that working in both FSX and FS9.

Simply copy this ST_D18 folder to your D18S panel folder replacing your existing ST_D18.cab file or folder.

Thanks to Spokes2112 for this replacement starter gauge.

Attached: ST_D18.cab

----------------------------------------------------
Installation Readme included:

To install:

Simply copy the ST_D18 folder to your D18S/Panel folder replacing your existing ST_D18.cab file or folder. You might rename your old one to save as a fallback.

With this new starter switch, you may start either engine first.

1. Turn in the starter master switch (next to the Batter switch
2. Select the engine to be started
3. Press the starter button.

Note the Ignition Boost and Primer switches are simply Dummy switches and unncessary for a successful start. That has not changed.

Furthermore, for those of you who increased the starter torque in the aircraft.cfg, you may reduce that back to lower settings for a more realistic start.

Lastly, you can hold down the starter button to prolong cranking.

Hope this resolves your starting frustrations with the D18S.

Thanks to Spokes2112 for the working starter gauge.

Milton Shupe

EDIT: I am replacing the ST_D18.cab file with a folder as the decompression takes so long. With the folder, the aircraft loads much faster.

If you downloaded the earlier uploaded .cab file, you can decompress it or download this attachment.

blanston12
June 10th, 2017, 06:03
Looks Great Milton, gave a quick fly last night, I have been a bit behind my flight testing since I am re-installing everything on the new computer I got for flight sim. Tested her in P3d V3 and V4, flys pretty good, only one very very minor thing I can add that has not already been mentioned is some of the naming of the title= strings in the config are not consistent, while most are like

title=Beech D18S Passenger Globe

one is

title=Beech D-18S Cargo N9001 Methow

I am not sure whether is more correct with or without the dash in d-18s but I think they should be the same.

Milton Shupe
June 10th, 2017, 06:27
Looks Great Milton, gave a quick fly last night, I have been a bit behind my flight testing since I am re-installing everything on the new computer I got for flight sim. Tested her in P3d V3 and V4, flys pretty good, only one very very minor thing I can add that has not already been mentioned is some of the naming of the title= strings in the config are not consistent, while most are like

one is

I am not sure whether is more correct with or without the dash in d-18s but I think they should be the same.

Well Dang! Thought I had gotten those right. That's why we beta test. Thanks :-)

Willy
June 10th, 2017, 06:35

one is

I remember looking at some old Beech literature that had it as D18. Either way is good though. More of a personal preference, but I tend to leave the dash out.

Milton Shupe
June 10th, 2017, 06:41
maybee use this vcckptroof for final version?:ernaehrung004:

That looks good to me Banjoman; is that your texture?

Gooneybird565
June 10th, 2017, 06:57
Milton,
Damned good being able to fly the D18 into my P3D v4! Just a short fly so far, and did not test all and everything, but so nice getting this beautiful old bird back in the air!
Philippe

banjoman1960
June 10th, 2017, 07:05
That looks good to me Banjoman; is that your texture?

a friend does it for me a long time ago........will ask him if you want?

Milton Shupe
June 10th, 2017, 07:10
Milton,
Damned good being able to fly the D18 into my P3D v4! Just a short fly so far, and did not test all and everything, but so nice getting this beautiful old bird back in the air!
Philippe

Thank Philippe; I'm just happy that I can provide aircraft now that work well for FSX and P3D for a change.

Milton Shupe
June 10th, 2017, 07:11
a friend does it for me a long time ago........will ask him if you want?

Well, if the texture is now yours to share, that should be good enough.

Limekiller
June 10th, 2017, 07:42
Flying the heck out of this thing in northern Quebec and Labrador, both land and sea.
Two minor things I have noticed:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50723&stc=1
Residual roundel from one of the other textures? Only shows up on both sides of fuselage in low vis- sunrise/sunset, and only with this paint. No sign on wing undersides.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50724&stc=1
Undocumented flare dispenser (which I really like :untroubled:). Triggered by wing landing light deployment using "L" key.

FSX-A

Milton Shupe
June 10th, 2017, 08:46
Flying the heck out of this thing in northern Quebec and Labrador, both land and sea.
Two minor things I have noticed:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50723&stc=1
Residual roundel from one of the other textures? Only shows up on both sides of fuselage in low vis- sunrise/sunset, and only with this paint. No sign on wing undersides.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50724&stc=1
Undocumented flare dispenser (which I really like :untroubled:). Triggered by wing landing light deployment using "L" key.

FSX-A

The roundel shadow is coming from teh fuse alpha channel, part of the original paint scheme; not sure if that was intended but can be easily grayed out.

The "flare drop" is actually the water droplets effect that normally shows after a water takeoff. Lights are used for that effect and therefore use of the "L" key is not recommended. There are light switches for all the lights including cabin.

aspen31
June 10th, 2017, 10:26
Hi all
I replaced the original cab folder with the new one but so far my results are the same - The red starter switch will not depress and the left / right engine selector switch moves but that's all. Control + E works - again this is all in Prepar3D v3.4
I'll try it again - always a strong possibility that I screwed up.
Thanks
Warren

Milton Shupe
June 10th, 2017, 10:29
Hi all
I replaced the original cab folder with the new one but so far my results are the same - The red starter switch will not depress and the left / right engine selector switch moves but that's all. Control + E works - again this is all in Prepar3D v3.4
Thanks
Warren

Did you turn on the Master Starter Switch left of the Battery switch?

banjoman1960
June 10th, 2017, 10:33
Hi all
Thanks
Warren

also p3dv3,it work,but it is not easy to start,need to switch from engine one to two,then one start?starter do not release without this,engine does not start as long switch is not back.......

aspen31
June 10th, 2017, 10:46
Hi again all
Yes the master switch was selected, batteries on, mixtures rich. I re-installed the cab folder and found that this time it worked pretty much as the original. The starter button will eventually depress and as has been already noted by manipulating the left / right engine switches both engines will start - bottom line, I'm just happy to live with this one snag and enjoy how everything else in this machine performs so well in Prepar3D.
Thanks
Warren (aspen31)

Milton Shupe
June 10th, 2017, 13:10
Hi again all
Yes the master switch was selected, batteries on, mixtures rich. I re-installed the cab folder and found that this time it worked pretty much as the original. The starter button will eventually depress and as has been already noted by manipulating the left / right engine switches both engines will start - bottom line, I'm just happy to live with this one snag and enjoy how everything else in this machine performs so well in Prepar3D.
Thanks
Warren (aspen31)

Well, that is very disappointing to hear. :-/

Maybe we can get Spokes2112 to take a look at this from a P3D v3/4 perspective.

Be sure you do not have a copy of that ST_D18.cab in your P3D Gauges folder because P3D looks there first for gauges.

Milton Shupe
June 10th, 2017, 14:08
Well, that is very disappointing to hear. :-/

Maybe we can get Spokes2112 to take a look at this from a P3D v3/4 perspective.

Be sure you do not have a copy of that ST_D18.cab in your P3D Gauges folder because P3D looks there first for gauges.

EDIT: I just verified your reported starter gauge behavior with another tester and he is getting the same results in P3D v4. I have passed this behavior on to Spokes2112.

EDIT2: Sorry, user had a duplicate .cab file or folder in the Gauges folder. Ensure that you have removed and ST_D18.cab or folder from your system gauges folder before testing this new ST_D18 fix.

falcon409
June 10th, 2017, 14:57
EDIT: I just verified your reported starter gauge behavior with another tester and he is getting the same results in P3D v4. I have passed this behavior on to Spokes2112.
Milton, I did have a duplicate cab file in the gauges folder. Gonna retry the start procedure.

falcon409
June 10th, 2017, 15:12
After deleting the duplicate "cab" file, the startup procedure works perfectly using the checklist.:applause:

Henry
June 10th, 2017, 15:29
GJLP:173go1::applause::applause:H

Milton Shupe
June 10th, 2017, 16:00
After deleting the duplicate "cab" file, the startup procedure works perfectly using the checklist.:applause:

Thank you Ed for that clarification, and that is P3D v4?

WND
June 10th, 2017, 16:54
Yes Mr. Shupe - I believe he was using v4.....

Milton Shupe
June 10th, 2017, 17:33
Yes Mr. Shupe - I believe he was using v4.....

Thanks Bill; he said he installed it but was not sure that was what he tested in.

falcon409
June 10th, 2017, 17:43
Thanks Bill; he said he installed it but was not sure that was what he tested in.
Sorry Milton, shoulda made that clear. . .yes I tested the starter in P3D_V4. My Sims are now just FSX and P3D_V4

Milton Shupe
June 10th, 2017, 18:22
Hi again all
Thanks
Warren (aspen31)

Warren, did you verify that you do not have an ST_D18.cab or folder in your Gauges folder?

aspen31
June 11th, 2017, 02:40
Morning Milton
I did find the old gauge in my Prepar3D gauges folder - not sure how or why it was there but once removed the start system worked fine.
The airplane flies very smoothly in 3.4. The speeds and climb rates seem very realistic.
In the past I have found the water roll out distances for most seaplanes quite long in Prepar3D so I tried a landing in Long Lake NY at about the position where most seaplanes touch down when headed toward the dock. I found that the Beech roll out was pretty much what I expected - very realistic.
The only thing I haven't found yet is the water rudder lever, handle or switch.
Thanks
Warren

Milton Shupe
June 11th, 2017, 04:14
Morning Milton
I did find the old gauge in my Prepar3D gauges folder - not sure how or why it was there but once removed the start system worked fine.
The airplane flies very smoothly in 3.4. The speeds and climb rates seem very realistic.
In the past I have found the water roll out distances for most seaplanes quite long in Prepar3D so I tried a landing in Long Lake NY at about the position where most seaplanes touch down when headed toward the dock. I found that the Beech roll out was pretty much what I expected - very realistic.
The only thing I haven't found yet is the water rudder lever, handle or switch.
Thanks
Warren

Thanks Warren for teh follow-up; good to know; I'll inform Spokes2112 so he will not chase the issue.

"The only thing I haven't found yet is the water rudder lever, handle or switch."

Really?? See attached

Milton Shupe
June 11th, 2017, 05:08
The D18S Amphibian Cargo and Passenger package has been released. The beta version has been removed.

Thanks for your help testing the beta package.

The final release had only a few changes: the starter gauge, the Xpress fuselage texture had a minor alpha channel fix, and minor changes to the aircraft.cfg.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=22721&catid=34

aspen31
June 11th, 2017, 05:27
Thanks Milton
As my instructors often said (too often perhaps) - when in doubt - read!
Cheers.
Warren

Milton Shupe
June 11th, 2017, 05:44
Thanks Milton
As my instructors often said (too often perhaps) - when in doubt - read!
Cheers.
Warren

LOL Well, there is a lot to absorb with a new aircraft.

banjoman1960
June 11th, 2017, 06:04
Well, if the texture is now yours to share, that should be good enough.

Thank´s,
very nice one..........

but the vcckptroof is the old one..........

aspen31
June 11th, 2017, 06:22
Hi Milton
Problem is - this machine is not an new one to me - probably been flying it over the years more than anything else - practice makes perfect I guess - or at least better.
Take care.
Warren

Milton Shupe
June 11th, 2017, 06:47
Banjoman, I put your texture in only the Globe livery. One can move it to the common texture folder if they like it better.

banjoman1960
June 11th, 2017, 06:55
Banjoman, I put your texture in only the Globe livery. One can move it to the common texture folder if they like it better.

:applause:ok,i use this for all...........

starter work,found also a old folder in gauges:dizzy:

Thank´s for give us this nice plane back,it is a favorite since fs9....

Cheers Ralf

Milton Shupe
June 11th, 2017, 07:07
Thanks for clarifying the gauge fix; happy that you found the issue.

Thank you for sharing the texture.

I am really happy to be able to convert these classics to FSX and that people can still enjoy them in spite of their age (aircraft age, not people :-).

Willy
June 11th, 2017, 07:22
Thanks Milton. I can't ever say enough how much I appreciate what you do. And your Twin Beech is a long time favorite that is my go to aircraft. Got some tricky flying to do? Where'd I park the Beech??

What started as a simple update of my Merc Air paint has grown into a full blown redo. You know how it is. One thing leads to another. I was just going to do some bump maps to match the lines and rivets on the old paint textures and custom specs for it using my old textures and now I'm completely redoing the bare metal. And the interior. And the wood vc panel that I did a few months ago is getting new wood to match the cabin trim.

I think that I can safely say the Beech is going to keep me occupied for a good while. And then there's the new paints that need to be done as well. At least I got a head jump on it when you first announced the FSX native version.

Edit to add: If you take the AT-11 sounds and change the ground sounds for those from the default Goose, it makes for a pretty nice sound pack for it.

Milton Shupe
June 11th, 2017, 07:45
Thanks Milton. I can't ever say enough how much I appreciate what you do. And your Twin Beech is a long time favorite that is my go to aircraft. Got some tricky flying to do? Where'd I park the Beech??
... snipped ...

Thanks Willy. I think this FSX version is much better than the original in ground handing and landing as well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next project: I am trying to stay with working oldest to newest but the status of these older projects is rather mixed. Some have been done by other people (and I appreciate that). But generally, here is the status and the way I am working this process. Only showing projects up to 2012.

MDIvey
June 11th, 2017, 08:11
What a lovely aircraft This is Milton... thank you!

Matt

Willy
June 11th, 2017, 08:23
Does the Avia 57 include the cargo version on floats?

Milton Shupe
June 11th, 2017, 08:38
What a lovely aircraft This is Milton... thank you!

Matt
You are welcome Matt; very happy to be doing this for all of you.

Does the Avia 57 include the cargo version on floats?

Well, of course :-)

gaab
June 11th, 2017, 10:06
A big thank you for this D18S Amphib

She gives me a lot of pleasure, flying around Tipella, Squamish, Nanaimo, Pender Harbour and it's not finished

http://i.imgur.com/doEhOhE.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/mp2EWom.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/GCdsuRL.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZkGPJ2I.jpg

Gérard

Willy
June 11th, 2017, 11:51
I'm not sure when Milton first released the Twin Beech, but I've sure put a lot of miles on it since then. A couple (maybe 3) of London to Melbourne races, a Norway to South Africa race (float planes over the Sahara), a South American cargo hauling event, a trip around the world and who knows how many hours flying it online with Flight 19. I'm thinking it probably needed this overhaul it's going through.

Looking at some new seat covers, the old ones got a little threadbare....

aspen31
June 11th, 2017, 11:57
Those are great looking seat covers - really dresses up the old girl.
Warren

BendyFlyer
June 12th, 2017, 21:42
Milton thanks very much really enjoying this version, fits with my interest in things that land on water. Gets along very nicely, good sound and landings and take-offs are fun.

Alas in my past life only ever saw one Beech 18 for real in OZ, for some reason they either were not marketed here or were a bit unknown despite their extensive use in North America and the very strong uptake of other Beechcraft. I suspect the reason was the large number of surplus British twins, like the Anson, Oxford etc available here and cost, you could get a good ex RAAF Hudson quite cheaply as well.

Quick question, the Lear Autopilot on the glare shield can it only be operated from the 2D panel, correct? works fine when selected that way.

Milton Shupe
June 13th, 2017, 04:15
Milton thanks very much really enjoying this version, fits with my interest in things that land on water. Gets along very nicely, good sound and landings and take-offs are fun.

Alas in my past life only ever saw one Beech 18 for real in OZ, for some reason they either were not marketed here or were a bit unknown despite their extensive use in North America and the very strong uptake of other Beechcraft. I suspect the reason was the large number of surplus British twins, like the Anson, Oxford etc available here and cost, you could get a good ex RAAF Hudson quite cheaply as well.

Quick question, the Lear Autopilot on the glare shield can it only be operated from the 2D panel, correct? works fine when selected that way.

Thanks BF. Did you turn on the Lear from the knee panel?

aspen31
June 13th, 2017, 05:21
Hi Milton
I tried the autopilot out this AM with the same results - I can find no click spots. Generator, avionics switch and Lear autopilot switch - all on. I have one other question. There is a switch to the left of the dual cowl flaps switches marked "cabin lights" I think. It does not move but I see a voltage change when I highlight and manipulate it with the mouse. Can't really determine whetrher it is a push button or a switch - not a big thing really more of a question.
Thanks
Warren

aspen31
June 13th, 2017, 05:24
Hi again Milton
The autopilot is alive and selectable for me in the 2D panel - all of this in P3D V3.4
Thanks
Warren

aspen31
June 13th, 2017, 05:55
One more time Milton
The autopilot in the VC panel appears to be working but without click spots showing. If I select on it responds to heading selections and climb attitudes - however without click spots its a bit difficult to assess and verify exactly what the autotpilot is doing.
Hope this helps
Thanks
Warren

gaab
June 13th, 2017, 06:29
Hello,

Hi Milton
There is a switch to the left of the dual cowl flaps switches marked "cabin lights" I think. It does not move but I see a voltage change when I highlight and manipulate it with the mouse. Can't really determine whetrher it is a push button or a switch - not a big thing really more of a question.
Warren

It is a switch. Just repalce the present "Cabin Lights.xml" gauge by this one, which just adds the display of the switch.

Gérard

Milton Shupe
June 13th, 2017, 08:26
Hi Milton
I tried the autopilot out this AM with the same results - I can find no click spots. Generator, avionics switch and Lear autopilot switch - all on. I have one other question. There is a switch to the left of the dual cowl flaps switches marked "cabin lights" I think. It does not move but I see a voltage change when I highlight and manipulate it with the mouse. Can't really determine whetrher it is a push button or a switch - not a big thing really more of a question.
Thanks
Warren

Warren, et al,

The Lear Autopilot suffered from allowable coordinates in FS9 but disallowed in FSX. Looks like no one caught this in testing.

In the panel.cfg, scroll down to the vcockpit01 section and replace the gauge coordinates or line with this one:

gauge56=ST_D18!Lear Pilot_autopilot, 0,0,246,137

There are actually two cabin switches in the VC. I forgot about the 2D gauge being on the VC panel (it used to be a dummy gauge but was activated at some point without on/off bmps) and added an xml controlled gauge on the right knee panel where it is supposed to be. Both work to control the cabin lights that you may only notice at night.

Milton Shupe
June 13th, 2017, 08:45
Attached is the official fix for the VC Lear autopilot clickabililty issue, and for the cabin light switch on the main VC panel.
I also added the light switch to the 2D panel.

Thanks to Gaab for modifying the switch code and to BendyFlyer and Aspen for finding/reporting the issues.

Willy
June 13th, 2017, 10:10
Thanks Milton, Gaab, BendyFlyer and Aspen!

I've been using the autopilot switches from the Spartan in the Beech, but might have to give the Lear a shot again.

I've been working on the wood vc panel this morning. Yesterday, I redid the cabin and vc floor. I still haven't got the new seat covers installed.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50796&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50797&stc=1

Not done on the inside yet, but definitely seeing the light at the end of the tunnel (probably a freight train)

aspen31
June 13th, 2017, 14:27
Hi Milton
The fixes work fine. Thanks for your quick responses. We are all very fortunate to have a designer such as you who offers such great airplanes - this D18 has been a favorite since FS2004 and it continues to impress - too bad my airmanship continues to find ways to lag behind.
All the best!
Warren

Milton Shupe
June 13th, 2017, 17:15
Hi Milton
The fixes work fine. Thanks for your quick responses. We are all very fortunate to have a designer such as you who offers such great airplanes - this D18 has been a favorite since FS2004 and it continues to impress - too bad my airmanship continues to find ways to lag behind.
All the best!
Warren

Thank you Warren. I assure you that all my projects are what they are thanks to great team member talents. We cannot forget their contributions, the sum of which are greater than my own. I provide the easels; they provide the masterpieces. :-)

Milton Shupe
June 13th, 2017, 17:17
Gérard, those are awesome screen shots, and it seems you like to fly in the same places I do. :-)

Thank you for sharing.

BendyFlyer
June 13th, 2017, 18:14
Attached is the official fix for the VC Lear autopilot clickabililty issue, and for the cabin light switch on the main VC panel.
I also added the light switch to the 2D panel. Thanks to Gaab for modifying the switch code and to BendyFlyer and Aspen for finding/reporting the issues.

Thanks for that Milton. Fix applied, give it a run later, yesterday ran into mountains NW of Vancouver in cloud, ouch!!

BendyFlyer
June 14th, 2017, 00:26
This is a question for the amphibian folks - Is there a limiting or maximum speed to deploy the water rudder? Seems basic I know but all my flying has been in proper flying boats, not these float variety's with retractable wheels on the floats.

WND
June 14th, 2017, 03:30
Bendy:

My quess is that you would deploy the 'water rudders' just before you got slow enough to lose your 'main' rudder control .. Of course with a twin, you can use 'differential power' to stear somewhat..

Bill

BendyFlyer
June 14th, 2017, 04:48
WND, sounds about right to me, by deduction I figured it would have to be a very low speed given the relatively flimsy nature of the water rudders I have seen on amphibians with floats, I wondered how robust they were given the physical forces once deployed in the water of say wave action and heavy swells for example, not that FSX really provides that level of realism.

I did a bit of a search aournd for some reall life operations or check lists and that indicates that they are only placed down after landing and when the aircraft has slowed but curiously for take off are left down until after take off has been achieved and are then raised. As for twin engined aircraft they were considered superflous due to differential power.

Milton Shupe
June 14th, 2017, 04:54
This is a question for the amphibian folks - Is there a limiting or maximum speed to deploy the water rudder? Seems basic I know but all my flying has been in proper flying boats, not these float variety's with retractable wheels on the floats.

"Seaplanes mostly have
water rudders that are used at lower speeds
and are retractable (actually, they tilt out of the water flow).

At higher speeds, like takeoff runs and landings, high speed taxis, they are retracted
and the primary means of steering is the plane's rudder. Water rudders are connected to the regular rudder pedals."

It's been a long time since I was close to the info, but as I recall, water rudders were to be used <10 knots (maybe less than 6 knots). Otherwise, use differential power, aileron drag, open door drag, rudder to assist under powered movement. I have the rudders set to be used at very slow speeds, <8 knots, so if you wish to use them at faster speeds you should decrease their deflection in contact points 8 and 9. Of course that makes them less effective for low speed maneuvers.

point.8=5, -12.5, -6.417, -7.50, 1600, 0, 0.00,
, 0.00, 0.00, 0.65, 1.00, 1.00, 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
point.9=5, -12.5, 6.417, -7.50, 1600, 0, 0.00,
0.00, 0.00, 0.65, 1.00, 1.00, 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

BendyFlyer
June 14th, 2017, 04:58
"Seaplanes mostly have

water rudders that are used at lower speeds

and are retractable (actually, they tilt out of the water flow).

At higher speeds, like takeoff runs and landings, high speed taxis, they are retracted

and the primary means of steering is the plane's rudder. Water rudders are connected to the regular rudder pedals."

It's been a long time since I was close to the info, but as I recall, water rudders were to be used <10 knots (maybe less than 6 knots). Otherwise, use differential power, aileron drag, open door drag, rudder to assist under powered movement. I have the rudders set to be used at very slow speeds, <8 knots, so if you wish to use them at faster speeds you should decrease their deflection in contact points 8 and 9. Of course that makes them less effective for low speed maneuvers.

point.8=5, -12.5, -6.417, -7.50, 1600, 0, 0.00,

, 0.00, 0.00, 0.65, 1.00, 1.00, 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
point.9=5, -12.5, 6.417, -7.50, 1600, 0, 0.00,

0.00, 0.00, 0.65, 1.00, 1.00, 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Thanks Milton.

Limekiller
June 14th, 2017, 05:04
From Flying a Floatplane by Marin Faure (p. 135) "When the landing runout is completed and the plane has slowed to an idle taxi speed, lower the water rudders and head to the dock, ramp, or beach that is your destination for this flight".

On the other side of the process (p.47) "It is very important that the water rudders be retracted before takeoff. Water rudders that are left down during takeoff could cause the airplane to veer off to one side and possibly overturn. Because the rudders don't lock down, they will begin to bang up and down as the floatplane's speed across the water increases. This banging can damage the rudders and weakens the stern of the float, causing the seams to open up and leaks to develop".

Really happy you posed the question. Caused me to dust off this book, got lots of re-reading to do with it.

Milton Shupe
June 14th, 2017, 05:09
From Flying a Floatplane by Marin Faure (p. 135) "When the landing runout is completed and the plane has slowed to an idle taxi speed, lower the water rudders and head to the dock, ramp, or beach that is your destination for this flight".

On the other side of the process (p.47) "It is very important that the water rudders be retracted before takeoff. Water rudders that are left down during takeoff could cause the airplane to veer off to one side and possibly overturn. Because the rudders don't lock down, they will begin to bang up and down as the floatplane's speed across the water increases. This banging can damage the rudders and weakens the stern of the float, causing the seams to open up and leaks to develop".

Really happy you posed the question. Caused me to dust off this book, got lots of re-reading to do with it.

Thanks for posting this; it validates what I recall.

Remember too that on take off, on any cross wind, the main rudders will be in heavy use so you do not want the water rudders deployed.

Willy
June 14th, 2017, 05:28
My standard technique is to just use the water rudders until I'm pointed into the wind. Then I raise the water rudders and begin my take off. The floats should keep any crazyiness to a minimum until enough speed is up for the regular rudders to start being effective. On landing as said before, once I'm down to taxi speed, I lower them and figure out where my pier or anchorage is.

banjoman1960
June 14th, 2017, 06:20
Milton,
when i land on runway and push brackes,i get sparks at the frontweels? contact from pontons and runway............
is this easy to fix?

last fix work´s great:applause:

Portia911
June 14th, 2017, 14:30
My standard technique is to just use the water rudders until I'm pointed into the wind. Then I raise the water rudders and begin my take off. The floats should keep any crazyiness to a minimum until enough speed is up for the regular rudders to start being effective. On landing as said before, once I'm down to taxi speed, I lower them and figure out where my pier or anchorage is.

Same here for water rudders.

The other oft hard-to-find piece of flying intel specific to amphibs is the speed limit for deployment/retraction of the hard landing gear. One can usually find the equivalent for normal wheeled versions, but I'm sure the tiny amphib wheels and associated mechanisms are less robust and so would likely require different (but rarely published) limits.

Milton Shupe
June 14th, 2017, 19:10
Working on another Beechcraft at the moment but after some thought, I have decided to go back and do my original wheeled D18S version. The reasoning behind this decision is that there are so many paints available, and David Carroll's FSX version is not compatible with them. So, look for my original wheeled version to come along over the next month or so.

Willy
June 14th, 2017, 19:31
That's great news Milton!

BendyFlyer
June 14th, 2017, 22:02
Working on another Beechcraft at the moment but after some thought, I have decided to go back and do my original wheeled D18S version. The reasoning behind this decision is that there are so many paints available, and David Carroll's FSX version is not compatible with them. So, look for my original wheeled version to come along over the next month or so.

Milton I am a just a little confused here. There were 2 or 3 FSX updated D18S available, then I came across Bjoern's package (MSDC-Beech D18S.zip) with textures, new sounds and gauges etc., which I presumed was the go to FSX version, so will your update be different in the sense it will be a pure FSX native version?

The reason I asked that I became really confused about what was what and who had done what with the Beech 18 and all of course used your name on them in some way or other. For example there was one which just a single texture package (some private business aircraft), another restricted to two (Logan Air and BUF) and then there was a third with all the textures (Navy, USAF etc.) that Bjoern later incorporated, and there were two versions of that package before Bjoern's as well. Anyhow I have settled with the Bjoern package for the time being and have been able to add in some additional paints from other packages and older versions without any real issues. I understand you not responsible but would I be correct in assuming that Bjoern's is the definitive FSX modified version until your rework of this wonderful aeroplane comes out.

By the way the more I spend time with this aircraft the more I am impressed with it, a typical Beechcraft just does it right and does it well, and I have flown all the Beeches with the exception of the Staggerwing, the D18, the C90 and the Twin Bonanza, spoiled by their quality. They made really good aeroplanes in Kansas, once upon a time.

BendyFlyer
June 15th, 2017, 00:42
Disregard my previous post, it has been answered by the other older thread by Bjoern on the D18S, it is his that is the latest update version.

I hear what you say about flying this stuff. By the time I have done updates for this and updates for that etc etc, I seem to spend all my time tinkering and hardly flying at all. I have a huge backlog of flights that I want to do so it is probably time to do it and have some fun. This will start with the Beech Amphibian, I am off to the Aleutians and Alaska for a while.

Willy
June 15th, 2017, 05:40
I did a few paints for Bjoern's that I'm probably going to redo for Milton's new one. If Milton includes the cargo version, the Santa Fe one will get a dedicated cargo version as SF was a cargo outfit.

I'd best get hot on finishing up that paint kit I was working on. So many Twin Beeches, so little time.

thunder100
June 15th, 2017, 06:11
Willy that wood panel is a ringer

I hope ou share a bit later to the addicted flyers

Thanks

Roland

Willy
June 15th, 2017, 07:06
Once it's finished, I'll upload it. Right now, it's set up for my personal gauge layout. I need to get it back to the layout as Milton did it.

Gooneybird565
June 15th, 2017, 09:47

Milton,
Really GREAT news !!!:applause:
Good idea was my decision to keep your ole wheeled version parked in my secret hangar! Around 25 liveries to come back to service when you release that jewel!
Christmas before december, man :ernaehrung004:
Philippe

WND
June 15th, 2017, 11:00

GREAT News there Mr. Shupe !!!!!

gaab
June 15th, 2017, 12:44

We are spoiled :applause: : D18S (with a lot of paints available), Avia 57 (wheel and float) ... to name a few.

Thank you so much.

Gérard

Milton Shupe
June 15th, 2017, 14:34
Plus it too will be graced with a corrected starter gauge by Spokes2112. :jump:

Penzoil3
June 15th, 2017, 21:59
YES !! Thank you!

thunder100
June 16th, 2017, 05:35
Once it's finished, I'll upload it. Right now, it's set up for my personal gauge layout. I need to get it back to the layout as Milton did it.

Willy

thanks
Would take it even with your gauge layout-once you upload

Roland

Willy
June 16th, 2017, 05:46
Some of the gauges I use are from other aircraft that I don't have permission to share. Like the navigator's notepad that came out of Glen Duncan's C-87. But they are all available as freeware.

Willy
June 16th, 2017, 20:10
Getting there on bump maps. So far, I'm just mucking about with the engines getting a feel for them. These shots here, I've got the rivets too tall and the panel lines too deep. And somehow, they're making the model mesh lines show up too. It's really pronounced where I've got some shine on it. But I've got an idea on how to fix that.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50891&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50892&stc=1

Milton Shupe
June 20th, 2017, 21:29

Update: As promised, the Wheeled version (passenger) converted; cargo next. Hope to have a beta available by Thursday.

gaab
June 21st, 2017, 01:12
:jump::applause:

Gérard

Willy
June 21st, 2017, 04:03
Yee Haw!!!! Beeches, Beeches and more Beeches!!!

Taking a couple of days off from mucking around with sorting out bump maps. Did some googling around on the subject yesterday and took a bunch of notes so I think I know what I need to do, just need to figure out how to do it. This is one of those things, I want to have something that is top notch as I suspect I'll be using it for a long time to come.

gaab
June 21st, 2017, 05:35

Taking a couple of days off from mucking around with sorting out bump maps. Did some googling around on the subject yesterday and took a bunch of notes so I think I know what I need to do, just need to figure out how to do it. This is one of those things, I want to have something that is top notch as I suspect I'll be using it for a long time to come.

Hi Willy,

Any chance to get your Santa Fe scheme for this version ?

If I dare ask, I am still dreaming of a this texture... (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/105093-Fixes-for-the-Shupe-Carroll-FSX-native-Beech-18?p=1074404&viewfull=1#post1074404)

Gérard

Milton Shupe
June 21st, 2017, 08:05

LOL Life is a Beech ... or, uh, Beach.

Penzoil3
June 21st, 2017, 15:04
Or as we say in Phoenix "life's a beach, and then you fry!"
LOL
Sue

Milton Shupe
June 21st, 2017, 19:51
The FSX Native D18S Wheeled BETA Version is now posted for testing. Thanks in advance for your help in checking this one over in FSX and P3D versions.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=22740&catid=34

PhantomTweak
June 21st, 2017, 22:35
Or as we say in Phoenix "life's a beach, and then you fry!"
LOL
Sue
If you fry, it's summer, if you just bake, it's winter :untroubled:
I lived in Yuma almost 30 years. Literally a stone's throw away from California to the North, and Mexico to the West. You figure it out. :dizzy:
Hated every day of it too.
When it got to where I had to carry a side-arm just to move around on my 2.5 acres, I gave up and left. Best move I ever made.
Now, I just simmer a little on what they call hot summer days. No more baking OR frying. What a relief!
:encouragement:

Have fun everyone!
Pat☺

Alky
June 22nd, 2017, 00:23
Are there any plans to upgrade the VC wall textures, they're a bit dated looking.

aspen31
June 22nd, 2017, 03:27
Hi Milton
Did a 30 minute flight with the beta wheeled version. Looks like another winner. Flies very well in P3D V3.4. Only thing I found so far is the tail wheel lever which highlights with the mouse but for me at least does not move.
Thanks for doing this airplane.
Warren

Milton Shupe
June 22nd, 2017, 04:44
Are there any plans to upgrade the VC wall textures, they're a bit dated looking.

Alky, you are welcome Sir. :-) This was a straight conversion; no upgrades. I am not a texture artist so for that we must appeal to the more artistic among us.

Hi Milton
Did a 30 minute flight with the beta wheeled version. Looks like another winner. Flies very well in P3D V3.4. Only thing I found so far is the tail wheel lever which highlights with the mouse but for me at least does not move.
Warren

Thank you Warren; I will check that. :wavey:

gaab
June 22nd, 2017, 05:10
Hello Milton,

First report shows few left over from Amphib in panel.cfg

- "Warn_Water Rudder" have to be replaced by "Tailwheel Lock" (Windows00, Vcockpit01 and Vcockpit03])

- gauge63=ST2112!MALLARD_LOGIC, 0,0,1,1 to be removed (Vcockpit01)

Aircraft.cfg
Nav1 as no Standby (different from Amphib ?)

The "xpndr radio.xml" is still the old one

I enjoyed my maiden fligths.
A big thank you

http://i.imgur.com/kR1JJzn.jpg

Milton Shupe
June 22nd, 2017, 05:12
Hi Milton
Warren

Warren, et al,

In the panel.cfg, vcockpit03 section, replace gauge03 with the following:

gauge03=ST_D18!Tailwheel Lock, 401,189,230,215

In Window06, replace gauge07 with the following:

gauge07=ST_D18!Tailwheel Lock, 238,784,112,99

Thanks for the heads up.

Milton Shupe
June 22nd, 2017, 05:19
Hello Milton,

First report shows few left over from Amphib in panel.cfg

- "Warn_Water Rudder" have to be replaced by "Tailwheel Lock" (Windows00, Vcockpit01 and Vcockpit03])

- gauge63=ST2112!MALLARD_LOGIC, 0,0,1,1 to be removed (Vcockpit01)

Aircraft.cfg
Nav1 as no Standby (different from Amphib ?)

The "xpndr radio.xml" is still the old one

I enjoyed my maiden fligths.
A big thank you

http://i.imgur.com/kR1JJzn.jpg

Yes, looks like I used the amphib panel.cfg by mistake. Thank you. :banghead:

nigel richards
June 22nd, 2017, 05:19
Aaaaah! Just when you think it can't get any better - life becomes a Beech!

Always my all-time, favourite flyer - the bringer of order, sanity and 'being there' when you need it most.

And now FSX Native!

Keep on, keeping on excellence - Milton.:-)

banjoman1960
June 22nd, 2017, 09:48
[fltsim.1]

title=Beech D18S CAFNM Cargo
sim=D18S
model=cargo
panel=vc
sound=
texture=
kb_checklists=Beech18_check
kb_reference=Beech18_ref
atc_id=N700MS
atc_id_color = 0xffffffff
atc_parking_types = RAMP
atc_parking_code = 1
ui_manufacturer=Beechcraft MSA
ui_type="Cargo"
ui_variation="CAFNM"
ui_typerole="Twin Engine Prop"
ui_createdby="Milton Shupe"
description="CAFNM Cargo Textures by Damian Radice"
atc_heavy=0
atc_airline=
atc_flight_number=
description=

texture=CAFNM is missing?:ernaehrung004:

banjoman1960
June 22nd, 2017, 09:56
[fltsim.3]
title=Beech D18S Globe Passenger
sim=D18S
model=vc
panel=vc
sound=
texture=globe
kb_reference=Beech18_ref
atc_id=BP-URS BP_URS does not work for p3d
atc_parking_types = RAMP
atc_parking_code = 1
ui_type="Passenger"
ui_variation="Globe Passenger"
description=Fictional repaint for Bush Pilots by Urs "Maloney" Burkhardt
atc_heavy=0
atc_airline=
atc_flight_number=
description=

:ernaehrung004:

Milton Shupe
June 22nd, 2017, 10:37
[fltsim.1]

title=Beech D18S CAFNM Cargo
sim=D18S
model=cargo
panel=vc
sound=
texture=
kb_reference=Beech18_ref
atc_id=N700MS
atc_parking_types = RAMP
atc_parking_code = 1
ui_type="Cargo"
ui_variation="CAFNM"
description="CAFNM Cargo Textures by Damian Radice"
atc_heavy=0
atc_airline=
atc_flight_number=
description=

texture=CAFNM is missing?:ernaehrung004:

My apologies; change the textures= statement as follows:

texture=CAFNM

Milton Shupe
June 22nd, 2017, 10:38
[fltsim.3]
title=Beech D18S Globe Passenger
sim=D18S
model=vc
panel=vc
sound=
texture=globe
kb_reference=Beech18_ref
atc_id=BP-URS BP_URS does not work for p3d
atc_parking_types = RAMP
atc_parking_code = 1
ui_type="Passenger"
ui_variation="Globe Passenger"
description=Fictional repaint for Bush Pilots by Urs "Maloney" Burkhardt
atc_heavy=0
atc_airline=
atc_flight_number=
description=

:ernaehrung004:

Will change; thank you; good catch.

Willy
June 22nd, 2017, 17:06
The new paint kit I've been working on is getting there. First in sim shot of all the pieces together. Still some issues, but it's getting there. When done, it'll be for both wheeled and float versions in passenger and cargo flavors. Next up is polishing the metal now that I know it works with "scruffy".

(And of course I redid the old Merc Air cargo paint "for testing purposes")

Milton Shupe
June 22nd, 2017, 17:37
The new paint kit I've been working on is getting there. First in sim shot of all the pieces together. Still some issues, but it's getting there. When done, it'll be for both wheeled and float versions in passenger and cargo flavors. Next up is polishing the metal now that I know it works with "scruffy".

(And of course I redid the old Merc Air cargo paint "for testing purposes")

Thank you Willy; that is really nice of you to do this. :applause:

gaab
June 23rd, 2017, 00:42
Hello,

I need advices/instructions for landing. So far, they always bounce. I wonder what I am doing wrong ?
Looks like at the very end, the plane stalls.

I feel bad (and my passengers are unhappy)

Gérard

aspen31
June 23rd, 2017, 04:07
Hi
Landing is a lot more art than science - meaning that there are few foolproof instructions to make everything work out.
Make sure that you are operating the airplane in a good weight configuration - well below full gross - you might try no passengers and half fuel. I try to set up an approach in the Beech with mixtures rich, props full forward (100%), speed a little less than 100kts and a descent of about 500 FPM using at least 1 notch of flap. At around 500 feet AGL (above ground or in this case water level) I try to set up a speed of 80 - 85kts, a descent rate of 300FPM and one notch less than full flap. You will need a bit of power to maintain this approach speed. At a point where you feel the water is beginning to rush up ease back on the control column while watching the 80 kt airspeed. The airplane should settle onto the water. I find that in Prepar3D that if I am not close to a shoreline that it can be hard to judge the height above water so it might be appropriate to do your initial work parallel to a shore.
I'm sure there other techniques and I may have forgotten some points but this summary should help a bit.
Best of luck.
Warren

gaab
June 23rd, 2017, 04:46
Hi
Landing is a lot more art than science - meaning that there are few foolproof instructions to make everything work out.
Warren

Thank for your suggestions.

I should had mentionned that my difficulties are with the wheel version, not the amphib...

I will follow your advices and try to make progress :)

As you underline, my main difficulty is to evaluate my height above the runway...

aspen31
June 23rd, 2017, 05:50
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I saw the Amphib discussion and thought you were referring to that configuration. Most of the technique should apply to both machines. The "ground beginning to rush up" is the center point in a good landing flair at least for non jet aircraft but in my judgement is easier to apply in the real world and more difficult to sense in the sim. You might try ensuring that you have an accurate altimeter setting and that you learn to judge when you are about 100 AGL. Maintain your speed and ensure that your descent rate is 300 FPM or less and begin an easy flair. 100 ft is to me a bit high for the flair but if you maintain the configuration mentioned it should be close. You might also choose an airport with a long runway so that if you are high or a little misaligned the approach and landing can be corrected.
Hope this helps
Warren

Bjoern
June 23rd, 2017, 08:03
Thanks for basically taking the wheeled version off my hands (and list), Milton. At this point, finishing my conversions of the models was nothing but a chore to me.

Milton Shupe
June 23rd, 2017, 08:23
Thanks for basically taking the wheeled version off my hands (and list), Milton. At this point, finishing my conversions of the models was nothing but a chore to me.

Bjoern,

David Carroll's conversion is a different aircraft, different mapping. There was no intention to take it off your hands.

There are over 100 painted liveries available for my original mapping version and I thought it right to address that.

We were certainly looking forward to the work and features you talked about. Sad to see that fall by the wayside.

Milton Shupe
June 23rd, 2017, 08:38
D18S Wheeled version final upload now available:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=22741&catid=34

Willy
June 23rd, 2017, 09:07
D18S Wheeled version final upload now available:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=22741&catid=34

On it like a duck on a june bug.

Willy
June 23rd, 2017, 09:12
Just in time too! I was about to get dangerous with this one.....

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51139&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51140&stc=1

Now to figure which Beech to paint to get the ball rolling. I've been saving up a lot of reference stuff for this one.

Bjoern
June 23rd, 2017, 09:15
David Carroll's conversion is a different aircraft, different mapping. There was no intention to take it off your hands.

There are over 100 painted liveries available for my original mapping version and I thought it right to address that.

We were certainly looking forward to the work and features you talked about. Sad to see that fall by the wayside.

A D18S is still a D18S, regardless of texture mapping!

If everything goes according to plan, I get to work with real aircraft. Well worth the lack of time for the virtual ones.

Willy
June 23rd, 2017, 16:16
Just uploaded a slimmed down version of my paint kit for the Beech. It's set up for passenger, cargo and/or amphibs.

Alky
June 23rd, 2017, 19:26
Just uploaded a slimmed down version of my paint kit for the Beech. It's set up for passenger, cargo and/or amphibs.

Excellent job on the paintkit Willy! :)
The only thing is, there's eng0_t_.psd but no eng1_t_.psd (?) Will mirroring it or something work or what do you recommend?
Thanks!

Willy
June 23rd, 2017, 19:47
I just mirror eng0 and save as eng1.

Alky
June 24th, 2017, 07:02
I just mirror eng0 and save as eng1.

Awesome, I wasn't sure if that would be the answer and thought I better ask, thank you sir. Again, nice job on the paintkit! :)

Milton Shupe
July 7th, 2017, 09:09
Just uploaded replacement Checklist and Reference for the D18S Wheeled and Amphibian versions.

See here:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/106464-FSX-Beech-D18S-Check-List-and-Reference