PDA

View Full Version : ABC's F8F Bearcat - FSX Native Conversion in Progress

Milton Shupe
May 27th, 2017, 17:13
Started this yesterday and got through the tough stuff. Textures and animations in place; time for the tweaking after fixing about 10 issues remaining.

This is the first FSX test.

falcon409
May 27th, 2017, 18:52
Started this yesterday and got through the tough stuff. Textures and animations in place; time for the tweaking after fixing about 10 issues remaining.
This is the first FSX test.
Already lovin' the looks of it Milton. This was a great choice to follow up after the Aero Commanders. Thanks for taking this one on!

PhantomTweak
May 27th, 2017, 21:36
If that's the one on the Race Whitelist, as I suspect, I am really looking forward to it. The HUD is great. I have "borrowed" it for several other aircraft in FSX and it works great, once I get it's positioning dialed in :)
Thank you very much, Mr. Shupe. The number of planes, not to mention the number of different types, is amazing to someone with my meager skills doing this sort of thing. Especially the speed which you do all this work, is amazing to me. I can't even edit an aircraft.cfg file as fast as you do these conversions! A true master of the FSX/P3D conversion.
Really looking forward to this version! When it finally hits, can you make a note in the Readme, or something like that, concerning it's qualification, or lack there-of, for the Race? It would sure help avoid the famous Tigercat confusion we had last year...
Thanks for all your hard work and dedication to the pleasure we all call FSX!
Pat☺

Milton Shupe
May 28th, 2017, 03:55
If that's the one on the Race Whitelist, as I suspect, I am really looking forward to it. The HUD is great. I have "borrowed" it for several other aircraft in FSX and it works great, once I get it's positioning dialed in :)
Thank you very much, Mr. Shupe. The number of planes, not to mention the number of different types, is amazing to someone with my meager skills doing this sort of thing. Especially the speed which you do all this work, is amazing to me. I can't even edit an aircraft.cfg file as fast as you do these conversions! A true master of the FSX/P3D conversion.
Really looking forward to this version! When it finally hits, can you make a note in the Readme, or something like that, concerning it's qualification, or lack there-of, for the Race? It would sure help avoid the famous Tigercat confusion we had last year...
Thanks for all your hard work and dedication to the pleasure we all call FSX!
Pat☺

Thanks Pat.

Being retired with lots of hours to dedicate to this is the key.

Yes, this is the RTWR version and I will do nothing to alter its performance; it's just a straight conversion.

I do not have the HUD working yet - hopefully today.

I will be looking for beta testers in a day or so, would also like some of you to test "catching a wire".

A few more tweaks to textures and some testing on my part and she should be ready to beta test.

txnetcop
May 28th, 2017, 05:28
Count me in Milton...
Ted

Milton Shupe
May 28th, 2017, 05:47
Count me in Milton...
Ted

Happy to do that Ted. Things are going faster/better than expected. I have to add bump/spec maps and do some final testing and I will package her up.

Milton Shupe
May 28th, 2017, 11:11
I have uploaded a basic version of the FSX Native Bearcat for anyone who can help shake out any remaining beta bugs. One livery, two models (clean and with Bombs and rockets-visual only), a few effects you may already have, and a couple remaining issues to work out with the external tank and landing light.

This package is not in its final form.

I appreciate your reporting back here in this thread if you download it.

I have not changed the flight model.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: BTW, if you are running an FSX port over of this model, you may want to put it aside to avoid conflicts. I will change the package before releasing so the two may run without conflicts.

http://www.sim-outhouse.net/downloads/SOHTeam/fsxbearcat.zip

txnetcop
May 28th, 2017, 11:30
Downloading now...thanks Milton

Manschy
May 28th, 2017, 11:32
Milton - hope everyone who is downloading your fantastic projects will appreciate your outstanding work, no matter what piece of art you designed the last years!

This Bearcat is great to show it at Duxford, or explore the heavy and tough job those days on the Wessex. Thank you so much for all your effort and all your spare time you made our days with!!!!

aspen31
May 28th, 2017, 12:52
Hi Milton
I tried the Bearcat you offered for download in Prepar3d v3.4 and it appears to work fine. I didn't try a start up which can sometimes be a problem with Prepared but overall it worked really well. The cockpit videos are as good as I have seen with my video card and the performance about what they should be and the effects look great. I had a little trouble reading the HUD numbers but that may simply be this old pair of eyes. Switches all worked as well
Unfortunately my airmanship remains average.
Thanks for the hard work
Hope this helps
Warren (aspen31)

txnetcop
May 28th, 2017, 13:16
Milton I just flew the Bearcat for about 40 minutes. The cockpit is fine as far as DX10 goes I do wish there was more texturing on it but hey it was FREE! I had forgotten how much fun that Bearcat is to fly. Lands like dream and takes off very quickly, even heavily laden. One thing I noticed in flying it was that it felt the same with or without the bomb and rocket load. I know that doesn't fall into your territory but I would like to know what the aircraft cfg setting should be. Beautiful mapping ...she gonna be a permanent addition to FSX. Thank you so much for your hard work for this community.
Ted

Milton Shupe
May 28th, 2017, 14:29
Milton - hope everyone who is downloading your fantastic projects will appreciate your outstanding work, no matter what piece of art you designed the last years!

This Bearcat is great to show it at Duxford, or explore the heavy and tough job those days on the Wessex. Thank you so much for all your effort and all your spare time you made our days with!!!!

You are welcome Sir; thanks fro giving the Bearcat a run. :-)

Hi Milton
I tried the Bearcat you offered for download in Prepar3d v3.4 and it appears to work fine. I didn't try a start up which can sometimes be a problem with Prepared but overall it worked really well. The cockpit videos are as good as I have seen with my video card and the performance about what they should be and the effects look great. I had a little trouble reading the HUD numbers but that may simply be this old pair of eyes. Switches all worked as well
Unfortunately my airmanship remains average.
Thanks for the hard work
Hope this helps
Warren (aspen31)

Thanks Warren; that is good to know and hear. The HUD is fully encompassed in a .gau and I have no ability to change it. I will however try to improve on its background display.

Milton I just flew the Bearcat for about 40 minutes. The cockpit is fine as far as DX10 goes I do wish there was more texturing on it but hey it was FREE! I had forgotten how much fun that Bearcat is to fly. Lands like dream and takes off very quickly, even heavily laden. One thing I noticed in flying it was that it felt the same with or without the bomb and rocket load. I know that doesn't fall into your territory but I would like to know what the aircraft cfg setting should be. Beautiful mapping ...she gonna be a permanent addition to FSX. Thank you so much for your hard work for this community.
Ted

Hi Ted, good to hear. The mapping is a bit strange for the cockpit and shares the same textures with various parts so it would not be possible to do much with it save re-mapping the cockpit which I did not feel right doing.

There is no load-out for the bombs and rockets. This could be added with some programming but I am not an xml programmer and there is only me on these projects.
So, you could break apart the clean and munitions versions and set up separate aircraft.cfg station loads to simulate a heavier than normal clean version. As I said in my post, they are visual candy only.

falcon409
May 28th, 2017, 18:18
A short engine start, taxi and once around the circuit at night and a few things I can report (Testing in the latest version of P3D_V3.4):
1) The landing light, while extended is not illuminated (no night texture probably), and the ground illumination is straight down rather than fwd so I get a spot under the left wing
2) No external lights (Nav Lights, etc)
3) Panel Light Switch is actually a "gauge backlight" switch. A VC light can be added to the light section if needed (personal preference)
4) The switch which raises and lowers the HUD is labeled as a "Vacuum Switch"
5) The HUD is not illuminated (not sure there's anything that can be done about that after reading previous info from this thread)

Seems like there was something else, but I'll add more a bit later and maybe it'll come to me, lol

falcon409
May 28th, 2017, 18:40
A few night shots:
The VC light was added by simply "uncommenting" the first VC light in the light section of the cfg file. The addition of that light also gave illumination to the HUD. I personally like the position of the VC light, gives good illumination down out of your eyes and shows off the gauge backlighting also.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g84/ejwells409/Bearcat_VC_Nite-2017-may-29-001.jpg

This other shot simply shows the lack of Navigational lighting and the "spot" from the landing light.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g84/ejwells409/Bearcat_VC_Nite-2017-may-29-002.jpg

Milton Shupe
May 28th, 2017, 18:44
A short engine start, taxi and once around the circuit at night and a few things I can report (Testing in the latest version of P3D_V3.4):
1) The landing light, while extended is not illuminated (no night texture probably), and the ground illumination is straight down rather than fwd so I get a spot under the left wing
2) No external lights (Nav Lights, etc)
3) Panel Light Switch is actually a "gauge backlight" switch. A VC light can be added to the light section if needed (personal preference)
4) The switch which raises and lowers the HUD is labeled as a "Vacuum Switch"
5) The HUD is not illuminated (not sure there's anything that can be done about that after reading previous info from this thread)

Seems like there was something else, but I'll add more a bit later and maybe it'll come to me, lol

Ed,

Did you load the effects? The nav lights are non-standard, and it adds startup smoke.
Yes, I mentioned the landing light was not yet working properly. Just needs a pivot change.
Obviously, you do not fly at night in the dark :-) No one wants night vision destroyed with a cockpit light. Gauge lights only my man. :-) Personal prefs okay though. :-)
HUD is illuminated for me after you turn on the top switch during the day. The rotary switch changes colors. Are HUDs used at night?

Thanks, just wanted to clarify stuff. :-)

falcon409
May 28th, 2017, 19:03
Ed,

Did you load the effects? The nav lights are non-standard, and it adds startup smoke.
Yes, I mentioned the landing light was not yet working properly. Just needs a pivot change.
Obviously, you do not fly at night in the dark :-) No one wants night vision destroyed with a cockpit light. Gauge lights only my man. :-) Personal prefs okay though. :-)
HUD is illuminated for me after you turn on the top switch during the day. The rotary switch changes colors. Are HUDs used at night?

Thanks, just wanted to clarify stuff. :-)

Yes effects are loaded. No I don't fly at night but I will change the white VC light to another color to subdue it. . .personal preference (I don't use NV goggles, they give me a headache). I have no idea if the HUD is used at night but either way it was not illuminated at night til I added the VC light. I know our jets did night sorties and the HUD was illuminated. I am no "fly by the book" pilot so some of these unconventional suggestions are things that I would use for night flying and that serious pilots are cringing at the very thought of, lol, oh well.

Milton Shupe
May 28th, 2017, 19:34
Yes effects are loaded. No I don't fly at night but I will change the white VC light to another color to subdue it. . .personal preference (I don't use NV goggles, they give me a headache). I have no idea if the HUD is used at night but either way it was not illuminated at night til I added the VC light. I know our jets did night sorties and the HUD was illuminated. I am no "fly by the book" pilot so some of these unconventional suggestions are things that I would use for night flying and that serious pilots are cringing at the very thought of, lol, oh well.

Thanks Ed.

I am curious about the Nav lights though as they work fine here. Would you verify the fx_navgrem, fx_navwhim, and fx_navredm are in your (equivalent of the) effects folder.
EDIT: There are also blue recog lights on the wings. Switch is next to the Nav light switch.

falcon409
May 28th, 2017, 19:38
Thanks Ed.
I am curious about the Nav lights though as they work fine here. Would you verify the fx_navgrem and fx_navredm are in your (equivalent of the) effects folder.
Found the reason I didn't see them. After engine start I started flipping the light switches without looking outside while doing so. The Nav lights came on with the correct switch but when I got to "panel lights" and turned it on. . .it turned the Nav lights off, lol. . .sound familiar? lol

PhantomTweak
May 28th, 2017, 23:03
I just saw this. I've had a small episode today but I feel better now. I am DL'ing the beta as we speak.
I'll look at the vc lights. They looked a little bright in Ed's picture above. For my taste. That's easily changed, though.

If you haven't change the FDE at all, I won't even bother with that. I will focus on effects, lights, etc etc. I may even take a small peek at the HUD, see how it looks day, dusk, and night.

Thanks again, Mr. Shupe, we all appreciate your efforts.
Pat☺

GDNZ
May 28th, 2017, 23:47
Looking good so far Milton. Here's a few suggestions.

Add developer to FSX - Free Flight - Select Aircraft - Publisher drop list:
[fltsim.0] & [fltsim.1]
ui_createdby=Alpha Bleu Ciel

Increase prop wind down to match the sound:
[propeller]
propeller_moi=110 ; 58.8

The start flames need to go horizontal rather than vertical, they're shooting through the wings.
Someone must know how to modify the effect.

Gary Danvers
NZ

Tuor2112
May 29th, 2017, 00:55
Testing in FSXA and I noticed that there are no dive recovery flaps visible and although the lever works in VC there is no effect on drag. Cheers James.

DaveQ
May 29th, 2017, 03:47
If anyone's interested I've made the ordnance selectable via payload and added back the belly tank, selectable or deletable via fuel. When you do this the model sags on the undercarriage struts at least. Whether the flight model is affected I don't know. Perhaps best to add when all other mods to the model have been made.

The ordnance is one model part in MCX but if the source .mdl files for the pylons, rocket rails, rockets and bombs are available separately they can be made selectable separately too (I'm not competent to split up a single model part).

Finally, is there a paint kit available from which I can make bump maps?

DaveQ

falcon409
May 29th, 2017, 05:10
A few shots of the Beta in P3D_V3.4. Headed to Nellis from North Texas. Below me in the second shot is JD's Sheppard AFB.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g84/ejwells409/Bearcat_Beta-2017-may-29-001.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g84/ejwells409/Bearcat_Beta-2017-may-29-003.jpg

Milton Shupe
May 29th, 2017, 05:13
Looking good so far Milton. Here's a few suggestions.

Add developer to FSX - Free Flight - Select Aircraft - Publisher drop list:
[fltsim.0] & [fltsim.1]
ui_createdby=Alpha Bleu Ciel

Increase prop wind down to match the sound:
[propeller]
propeller_moi=110 ; 58.8

The start flames need to go horizontal rather than vertical, they're shooting through the wings.
Someone must know how to modify the effect.

Gary Danvers
NZ

Thanks Gary, added the createdby=, changed the prop moi, and will correct the startup smoke/flames. It's my effect done for the A26 but forgot I had flames in it.

Very helpful; greatly appreciated. :applause:

Milton Shupe
May 29th, 2017, 05:15
Testing in FSXA and I noticed that there are no dive recovery flaps visible and although the lever works in VC there is no effect on drag. Cheers James.

Dive flaps were not originally modeled but the resulting lift has always been in the FM. I will check out the drag and adjust accordingly. Thanks, great observation. :wavey:

EDIT: Ooooops; no, I better not do that as this aircraft is a sanctioned RTW race contender and I do not want to undo that. I can however test the required changes and make them available for those who want them.

EDIT: Did some testing and settled on dive recovery drag at 410 in the .air file. I will include an altered .air file in the final release. See attached.

Milton Shupe
May 29th, 2017, 05:26
If anyone's interested I've made the ordnance selectable via payload and added back the belly tank, selectable or deletable via fuel. When you do this the model sags on the undercarriage struts at least. Whether the flight model is affected I don't know. Perhaps best to add when all other mods to the model have been made.

The ordnance is one model part in MCX but if the source .mdl files for the pylons, rocket rails, rockets and bombs are available separately they can be made selectable separately too (I'm not competent to split up a single model part).

DaveQ

Dave,

Thanks, I am still working on a few things, droppable tank is one of the items I added back in 2014 I think. It will be available in the release.

The bombs/rockets can be easily changed to separately addressable parts if desired, mounts separated. I will add custom XML for gauge addressing, and include the names of the model parts so they can be easily addressed in other ways.

RE: Paint kit: hopefully a painter can answer this one; I do not know. The exterior is mainly covered on two textures; f8ffuse and f8fwings.

Milton Shupe
May 29th, 2017, 05:30
A few shots of the Beta in P3D_V3.4. Headed to Nellis from North Texas. Below me in the second shot is JD's Sheppard AFB.

That paint is looking nice Ed; is that a WIP of yours? Curious what the white stripe is on the starboard hstab.

falcon409
May 29th, 2017, 06:47
That paint is looking nice Ed; is that a WIP of yours? Curious what the white stripe is on the starboard hstab.
The livery is one I did after the RTWR 3 years ago actually. As for the white line. . .It's a hi-lite that shows depending on the angle you view the airplane from and shows on both left and right sides, nothing I added though.

Milton Shupe
May 29th, 2017, 07:00
The livery is one I did after the RTWR 3 years ago actually. As for the white line. . .It's a hi-lite that shows depending on the angle you view the airplane from and shows on both left and right sides, nothing I added though.

Ah, okay. In the final release there will be a common texture folder. You are likely missing the added textures for bumps, specular, glass, etc. You can easily find and add the bumps and specs from the beta release as they are the only DDS files in the texture folder.

falcon409
May 29th, 2017, 07:04
Ah, okay. In the final release there will be a common texture folder. You are likely missing the added textures for bumps, specular, glass, etc. You can easily find and add the bumps and specs from the beta release as they are the only DDS files in the texture folder.
I have already setup a common texture folder and this is the full beta package, I simply added a few of my textures from the previous "portover" version. . .so the bumps and specs are active.

blanston12
May 29th, 2017, 07:27
i tested it in P3D and had just a few comments.
First the title= issue most FSX aircraft have in P3d. P3D the value after title= is what shows up as the text in the aircraft selector so I would suggest changing

title=F8F2 Bearcat Bombs Rockets

to

title=Grumman F8F-2 Bearcat Bombs Rockets

Second in the FSXA conversion the cockpit textures look washed out, even compared to the previous 2014 modified version. Here is the comparison.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50371&stc=1
Here is the new version.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50372&stc=1
Here is the old version.

Lastly there is one panel, the last one, the Radio Panel that appears to be missing gauges. Here is what it looks like.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50373&stc=1

But at least the issue with the window transparency is fixed, it flys well right out of the box with no modifications required.
I did notice from the previous version you removed the center fuel tank. Is there a way to get a version that has all the drop tanks installed and no bombs?

Milton Shupe
May 29th, 2017, 07:47
I have already setup a common texture folder and this is the full beta package, I simply added a few of my textures from the previous "portover" version. . .so the bumps and specs are active.

Thank you Ed; I will look at all the specular settings to see if something is amiss there.

BTW, I resolved the night time HUD display issue.

Milton Shupe
May 29th, 2017, 07:55
First the title= issue most FSX aircraft have in P3d. P3D the value after title= is what shows up as the text in the aircraft selector so I would suggest changing

title=F8F2 Bearcat Bombs Rockets

to

title=Grumman F8F-2 Bearcat Bombs Rockets

Second in the FSXA conversion the cockpit textures look washed out, even compared to the previous 2014 modified version. Here is the comparison.

Lastly there is one panel, the last one, the Radio Panel that appears to be missing gauges. Here is what it looks like.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50373&stc=1

But at least the issue with the window transparency is fixed, it flys well right out of the box with no modifications required.
I did notice from the previous version you removed the center fuel tank. Is there a way to get a version that has all the drop tanks installed and no bombs?

Thanks for that input.

I have changed the titles.
Cockpit textures are not very appealing to me but I will see if something can be done there.
That panel will be removed; it is a remnant of the RTWRace panel; an oversight.

EDIT: There is, and will be, a "clean" version in the package with an optional, droppable center drop tank. As I mentioned, the drop tank is setup but was not working as of the test release. Working on that now.

falcon409
May 29th, 2017, 08:10
. . . . .in the FSXA conversion the cockpit textures look washed out, even compared to the previous 2014 modified version. Here is the comparison.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50371&stc=1
Here is the new version.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50372&stc=1
Here is the old version.

I would suggest that the only difference between the two (since they are, in fact, identical) is the direction of the sunlight. If you put you aircraft in slew mode and turn it so the sun lights various portions of the interior you can go from a well defined interior to one that shows little or no detail. I am the one who redid the VC textures for the mod in 2014 so I can tell you this with confidence.

falcon409
May 29th, 2017, 08:13
As an example, 3 shots from three different directions by turning the aircraft:

Milton Shupe
May 29th, 2017, 09:08
I just want to say thank you to everyone who is helping identify these issues. They will be addressed this week and we can possibly have a final release out by the weekend.

EDIT: Oh, I need someone to do some traps trying to catch a wire. Anyone tried that yet?

blanston12
May 29th, 2017, 10:41
I would suggest that the only difference between the two (since they are, in fact, identical) is the direction of the sunlight. If you put you aircraft in slew mode and turn it so the sun lights various portions of the interior you can go from a well defined interior to one that shows little or no detail. I am the one who redid the VC textures for the mod in 2014 so I can tell you this with confidence.
In this case, both pictures were taken at the exact same location at very close time, just long enough for me to take a screen capture, switch planes and screen capture again. I don't think the opaque windows had anything to do with it either, I also tried with the transparency fix that you helped me with and it looked the same as the 2014 version, but in my example I wanted to show the original version that I had not done any modifications to.

Willy
May 29th, 2017, 10:55
EDIT: Ooooops; no, I better not do that as this aircraft is a sanctioned RTW race contender and I do not want to undo that. I can however test the required changes and make them available for those who want them.

Milton in our local events, we follow the RTW rules (for the most part) on aircraft. If a mod doesn't make it unrealistic and it's available to everyone, then it's legal. I can't remember off the top of my head if the F8F actually had dive flaps though.

RE: Paint kit: hopefully a painter can answer this one; I do not know. The exterior is mainly covered on two textures; f8ffuse and f8fwings.

I'm not aware of an exsisting paint kit for the F8F. But it's not that hard to make one, just a bit time consuming getting the detail right.

PhantomTweak
May 29th, 2017, 11:27
I use that pop-up extensively. Great little way to see a lot of info very quickly, and all in one place. I will fix that if you want. I use it in several aircraft, especially in Race planes. It doesn't affect the FDE, so it should be legal. Please note the use of the word "should" :)
If you prefer, I can make it an add-on to just about any plane you might want to use it in and up-load it for common availability, or send it to someone for inclusion in a particular plane, or whatever you think best.

By the same token, if you want to remove it completely, that's your choice too, Mr. Shupe. It's your plane, after all :D

Pat☺

falcon409
May 29th, 2017, 12:14
I also use the race gauge pop up. I have replaced the missing gauges with gauges of my choice and use it quite a bit on the long hauls.

blanston12
May 29th, 2017, 12:20
I use that pop-up extensively. Great little way to see a lot of info very quickly, and all in one place. I will fix that if you want. I use it in several aircraft, especially in Race planes. It doesn't affect the FDE, so it should be legal. Please note the use of the word "should" :)
If you prefer, I can make it an add-on to just about any plane you might want to use it in and up-load it for common availability, or send it to someone for inclusion in a particular plane, or whatever you think best.

By the same token, if you want to remove it completely, that's your choice too, Mr. Shupe. It's your plane, after all :D

Pat☺
Back in the day I used to use it a lot also, when trying to get the 2014 version working in my p3d setup I got a collection of other gauges to replace those that were missing and made sort of a mini panel with a few gauges from the mooney bravo including the bendix-king auto pilot and a few gauges from the HDI, Attitude and vertical speed gauges . Mostly i wanted the autopilot and the HSI so I could set the heading for the autopilot. Nice if something was there but would not ask the team to spend any time on it, I can easily cobble together something for my own use.

PhantomTweak
May 29th, 2017, 13:24
Back in the day I used to use it a lot also, when trying to get the 2014 version working in my p3d setup I got a collection of other gauges to replace those that were missing and made sort of a mini panel with a few gauges from the mooney bravo including the bendix-king auto pilot and a few gauges from the HDI, Attitude and vertical speed gauges . Mostly i wanted the autopilot and the HSI so I could set the heading for the autopilot. Nice if something was there but would not ask the team to spend any time on it, I can easily cobble together something for my own use.

I can too, and plan on it. I just thought I'd offer. :)

As to landing on the boat.
I did a few bounces today, not really enough for a great data set, HOWEVER:
I discovered that speed at wheel touch is crucial. The slowest possible is required. Also, cutting the throttle just as you cross the round-down is also critical. About 82-85 kts, full flaps is best. Even so, it wants to nose over. I'm working on the Cable_force_adjust= setting to solve the trouble. Also, the longitudinal position of the tailhook has an effect. I suggest about 38-45 for that setting, but I need more time to dial it in. Trial and error is a slow process...
Lastly, the view over the nose is virtually impossible for a straight-in approach. I recommend the long, sweeping approach. That keeps the boat in view out the left of the vc. Takes some practice after flying modern jets onto the boat for so long.
I need a little more time to get everything dialed in, but I'm sure others will be able to work this situation too.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50385&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50386&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50388&stc=1

Good flights too all!
Pat☺

vmag17
May 29th, 2017, 14:04
Hi Milton

Thank you so much for bringing this AC to FSX - this was one of my favorite rides in FS9.

Regarding carrier landings:

The following [Tailhook] settings (which look a little strange I know) give me an arrested landing (without tipovers etc.) using
a standard WW2 USN approach pattern and a speed of 90KT at the cut. Hope this works for anyone else having problems with
the original settings.

[TailHook]
tailhook_length = 6
tailhook_position = -23, 0, 4.0

This works for me for all Carrier speeds down to 18kt - without a headwind.

The settings below also give a decent catapult launch.

[launch_assistance]
launch_bar_pivot = 2, 0.0, -1.17
launch_bar_lug = 2.00, 0.0, -2.00

Also some good Bearcat - Carrier video here: https://youtu.be/-7s8wMNyoz0

Milton Shupe
May 29th, 2017, 14:33

Thanks for the comments. I have no problem with anyone using that, or any of the variations of that popup. It evolved over the years.

My issue is since I do not own or have permissions, I cannot redistribute the gauges. If you have the popup in any variant of the Bearcat, it will work fine with this version.

EDIT: If it would help, I can leave the window in panel.cfg with no active gauge entries. Since I used the Bearcat in the RTWR in FS9, some of my gauges would not work in P3D.

Milton Shupe
May 29th, 2017, 14:46
Hi Milton

Thank you so much for bringing this AC to FSX - this was one of my favorite rides in FS9.

Regarding carrier landings:

The following [Tailhook] settings (which look a little strange I know) give me an arrested landing (without tipovers etc.) using
a standard WW2 USN approach pattern and a speed of 90KT at the cut. Hope this works for anyone else having problems with
the original settings.

[TailHook]
tailhook_length = 6
tailhook_position = -23, 0, 4.0

This works for me for all Carrier speeds down to 18kt - without a headwind.

The settings below also give a decent catapult launch.

[launch_assistance]
launch_bar_pivot = 2, 0.0, -1.17
launch_bar_lug = 2.00, 0.0, -2.00

Also some good Bearcat - Carrier video here: https://youtu.be/-7s8wMNyoz0

Thank you; I will plug these entries into the cfg. Great video; thanks for sharing.

Milton Shupe
May 29th, 2017, 16:45

DaveQ

DaveQ,

Not sure if it helps, but attached are the names of the rockets and bombs and hard points just to show they are in fact separate entities.
I do however plan to rename them per custom xml setup by Stokes2112 so they may be addressable by gauge along with my A-20 Havocs that are a WIP.

Just FYI, since I returned from vacation, my wife and I both have had the crud. Being on meds for the past 8 days has only made life bearable; my head is mostly in a fog, and doing any kind of complicated problem resolution and fixes is sometimes just not possible. So, I will be taking my time wrapping up changes and preparing for a final release.

Just an example, I have been running in circles trying to get the drop tank to show. The weight is drop-pable but the tank will not show. :-) I'm apparently too much in a fog to sort it out. LOL
EDIT: Well, found out I was using the wrong key combo for the tank, but the animation and location needs to be changed. :-)

Milton Shupe
May 29th, 2017, 19:48
Well, I think I have all the changes made from your reports.

I'll wait for any further test reports before proceeding.

blanston12
May 29th, 2017, 21:25
Thanks for the comments. I have no problem with anyone using that, or any of the variations of that popup. It evolved over the years.

My issue is since I do not own or have permissions, I cannot redistribute the gauges. If you have the popup in any variant of the Bearcat, it will work fine with this version.

EDIT: If it would help, I can leave the window in panel.cfg with no active gauge entries. Since I used the Bearcat in the RTWR in FS9, some of my gauges would not work in P3D.

thanks Milton, I would be happy if you took it out or left it in. I think most of us by now should know how to update a panel.cfg file if we want to update it. I was wanted to make you aware of it, whatever you decide to do about it you will still have a lot of happy flyers out here.

DaveQ
May 29th, 2017, 22:10
DaveQ,

Not sure if it helps, but attached are the names of the rockets and bombs and hard points just to show they are in fact separate entities.
I do however plan to rename them per custom xml setup by Stokes2112 so they may be addressable by gauge along with my A-20 Havocs that are a WIP.

Thanks Milton, I'll look into it again, and hope you and your wife are feeling better.

I suspect it's MCX that's lumping them all together. Bad workman blames his tools!!:biggrin-new:

In the absence of a paint kit I'm working on putting some panel lines and rivets together and making up bump maps and specs. But don't get much time and these things take me ages, so don't over-excite yourselves!!!

DaveQ

txnetcop
May 30th, 2017, 06:26
So far so good...traps perfectly! Hope you and your Honey are feeling better!
Ted

Milton Shupe
May 30th, 2017, 07:01
Thanks Milton, I'll look into it again, and hope you and your wife are feeling better.

I suspect it's MCX that's lumping them all together. Bad workman blames his tools!!:biggrin-new:

In the absence of a paint kit I'm working on putting some panel lines and rivets together and making up bump maps and specs. But don't get much time and these things take me ages, so don't over-excite yourselves!!!

DaveQ

LOL Okay, will try to remain calm Dave. :-)

So far so good...traps perfectly! Hope you and your Honey are feeling better!
Ted

Great to hear Ted.

Yea, we have some progress to make yet; still full of it and medicated. :-/

Bjoern
May 30th, 2017, 10:05
Did you manage to make the drop tank and weapons show up by station load or do you need some code for that, Milton?

It's not MCX, but rather XToMDL which will combine all parts that are not visibility tagged or animated and share a single material into a single object.

Milton Shupe
May 30th, 2017, 10:37
Did you manage to make the drop tank and weapons show up by station load or do you need some code for that, Milton?

Hi Bjoern,

I do have the drop tank working correctly for both visibility and fuel weight usage.

I have FS9 xml visibility code using L:vars to control visibility of the rockets and bombs that I need to convert to FSX format. I do not have a controlling gauge yet. If you have something, I would be happy to use it.

Thank you :applause:

Bjoern
May 31st, 2017, 01:00
The only payload control gauge I have is custom made for certain airliners, so it won't be of any use to you.

If you want to create a loadout control panel, keep in mind that you'll have to use XMLTools because it's the only way to manipulate payload station weight without using the default "Weights and Fuel" screen.

bob407
May 31st, 2017, 04:16
Hi Milton,
You are quite amazing. Thank you for sharing all of these fantastic projects of yours. Unending enjoyment. Just have one minor beta-testing issue to report, the switch panel (labeling) file not showing up. Thank you again sir for all that you do.
Bob

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50436&stc=1

Milton Shupe
May 31st, 2017, 04:54
Hi Milton,
You are quite amazing. Thank you for sharing all of these fantastic projects of yours. Unending enjoyment. Just have one minor beta-testing issue to report, the switch panel (labeling) file not showing up. Thank you again sir for all that you do.
Bob

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50436&stc=1

Ooooops! Thanks Bob; good catch. :-)

Milton Shupe
May 31st, 2017, 04:56
The only payload control gauge I have is custom made for certain airliners, so it won't be of any use to you.

If you want to create a loadout control panel, keep in mind that you'll have to use XMLTools because it's the only way to manipulate payload station weight without using the default "Weights and Fuel" screen.

Ah, thanks Bjoern. No problem. I'll do something with it.

DaveQ
May 31st, 2017, 05:00

It's not MCX, but rather XToMDL which will combine all parts that are not visibility tagged or animated and share a single material into a single object.

Is there a way of breaking them up using MCX?

DaveQ

Milton Shupe
May 31st, 2017, 05:12

DaveQ

DaveQ, there is no need to do that. Once I assign visibility tags to them, they will be separate (according to Bjoern's statement).

EDIT: I'll try to get the FS9 xml code converted to FSX format today, get those assignments made and one other texture issue resolved, and I'll put out a revised beta by end of day. Maybe we can get all this done, do some final testing and get a release out sometime end of week.

falcon409
May 31st, 2017, 06:31
. . . . .Cockpit textures are not very appealing to me but I will see if something can be done there. . . .
Agreed! If there is a "problem" with the way the textures appear, it would be that one 1024 texture "CVtole_T" is responsible for all of the texturing in the VC with the exception of the seat, the VC Panel and any textures called from the panel folder. If there is a "wireframe template" available that shows a breakout of the areas that single texture covers then it might be possible to add shadowing that would break up the "washed out" appearance. Otherwise you have a single color blanketing every nook and cranny in the cockpit and the only time that flat color is broken is when self-shadowing comes into play as I illustrated in a previous post.

Milton Shupe
May 31st, 2017, 06:35
Agreed! If there is a "problem" with the way the textures appear, it would be that one 1024 texture "CVtole_T" is responsible for all of the texturing in the VC with the exception of the seat, the VC Panel and any textures called from the panel folder. If there is a "wireframe template" available that shows a breakout of the areas that single texture covers then it might be possible to add shadowing that would break up the "washed out" appearance.

Ed, that is very kind. There is no wire frame but I will look at it a little closer today to see if anything can be done. It would be great to do proper textures with shading to give more realism.

Milton Shupe
May 31st, 2017, 06:41
I have converted and added the custom visibility XML for the Bombs, rocket mounts and rockets.

Now looking at how best to implement activation.

There is a panel texture (see attached) that addresses tank(s) and bombs.

Does anyone know what RP stands for?

I can change or vary the number of rockets, but would appreciate some guidance as to how best to use them, or remove them altogether.

Since I am simply trying to embellish a conversion, and I am not up on the RW Bearcat munitions, suggestions would be appreciated.

WND
May 31st, 2017, 07:53
Milton - I'm going to make a guess here and say "RP" stands for 'Rocket Pod' .. Altho it mmight be a reach !!! LOL

WND

Milton Shupe
May 31st, 2017, 08:17
Milton - I'm going to make a guess here and say "RP" stands for 'Rocket Pod' .. Altho it mmight be a reach !!! LOL

WND

The question I guess is should each of the rockets be controlled separately (or rather, pairs). If so, one switch would not do it. I doubt two rockets were fired together. But, it could be that one switch fired left to right each time activated. ???

Then for visibility reasons, a control panel would be required to show/hide the pairs, plus the bombs, and that could be used for pairs visibility.

Although this xml programming is beyond my experience, I could probably cobble something together.

Maybe someone with the xml expertise could pop in and donate some code or explain how xmltools could be used to do this.

Here is the xml code for the rocket mounts and the rockets for the left-most rocket. Parts are numbered 1-4.

<!-- Mounts ONLY-->
<PartInfo>
<Name>PV2_1_MOUNT</Name>
<Visibility>
<Parameter>
<Code>
(L:vis_rock1, number) 0 &gt;
</Code>
</Parameter>
</Visibility>
</PartInfo>

<!-- ROCKET 1 (L to R) (ALL) -->
<PartInfo>
<Name>PV2_1_ROCK</Name>
<Visibility>
<Parameter>
<Code>
(L:vis_rock1, number) 1 &gt;
</Code>
</Parameter>
</Visibility>
</PartInfo>

Milton Shupe
May 31st, 2017, 08:21
Ed, that is very kind. There is no wire frame but I will look at it a little closer today to see if anything can be done. It would be great to do proper textures with shading to give more realism.

Ed, I took a look at all the parts and maps using that one texture. The only way I see to resolve the issue is to remap the complete cockpit structure. That is beyond the scope of this conversion IMO.

llanning08
May 31st, 2017, 08:23
RP stands for Rocket Pylon, there are four Mk 9 rocket pylons. The up RP setting arms the rocket pylons, down selects Bombs & Drop Tanks. The right switch selects ordnance fuse selection: up is Both Nose & Tail Arming, center is Safe, down is Tail Arming (for delayed impact). This info is from the F8F Pilot's Manual, Section V Armements.

Milton Shupe
May 31st, 2017, 08:25
RP stands for Rocket Pylon, there are four Mk 9 rocket pylons. The up RP setting arms the rocket pylons, down selects Bombs & Drop Tanks. The right switch selects ordnance fuse selection: up is Both Nose & Tail Arming, center is Safe, down is Tail Arming (for delayed impact).

Ah, great! That is very helpful Sir. Thank you. :-)

Is there a separate panel for firing? Or how is the Gunsight panel used for firing? Outb'd and TNB'd?

falcon409
May 31st, 2017, 08:41
Ed, I took a look at all the parts and maps using that one texture. The only way I see to resolve the issue is to remap the complete cockpit structure. That is beyond the scope of this conversion IMO.
I agree Milton. I did try adding random areas of shading on the texture just to see the results and while not successful in being a good "fix" it did show that it would do the trick if we had a template to go by.

llanning08
May 31st, 2017, 09:11
This is a better explanation:

C. Rockets.
(1) GENERAL. - Prtovision is made for installing four MK 9 rocket pylons on the under side of the center section, two left and two right, adjacent to the folding axis. Four AR HVAR's can be installed on these pylons. The rockets are armed and fired only by electrical control. Rockets cannot be released in the safe condition.

(2) TO FIRE ROCKETS.
(a) RP - Bombs and Drop Tanks selector switch - RP (early models).
(b) Rockets are set for impact burst by putting the arming switch tp "NOSE and TAIL ARMING", and delayed burst by turning the arming switch to :TAIL ARMING".
(c) Number of rockets to be fired and sequence is controlled by setting the MK 1 Rocket Selector Switch mounted on the fuel control panel.
(d) Armament master switch - "ON".
(e) Press bomb button on the stick grip (early models). Press rocket button on stick grip (later models).

WARNING - Do NOT push SALVO PRESET as the instantaneous firing
of four rockets places an excessive strain on the wings.

(3) F8F-2 airplanes are equipped with a MK 2 rocket selector switch which permits firing rockets in singles or pairs. A three trigger switch provides a separate trigger for rockets and eliminates the use of teh bpmb switch to fire rockets.

Here is a URL for the F8F Pilot's Manual for your info as needed:

http://www.avialogs.com/en/aircraft/usa/grumman/f-8fbearcat/an-01-85fd-1-pilots-handbook-for-navy-models-f8f-1-b-n-and-f8f-2-n-p-aircraft.html#download

Milton Shupe
May 31st, 2017, 09:40
This is a better explanation:

C. Rockets.
(1) GENERAL. - Prtovision is made for installing four MK 9 rocket pylons on the under side of the center section, two left and two right, adjacent to the folding axis. Four AR HVAR's can be installed on these pylons. The rockets are armed and fired only by electrical control. Rockets cannot be released in the safe condition.

(2) TO FIRE ROCKETS.
(a) RP - Bombs and Drop Tanks selector switch - RP (early models).
(b) Rockets are set for impact burst by putting the arming switch tp "NOSE and TAIL ARMING", and delayed burst by turning the arming switch to :TAIL ARMING".
(c) Number of rockets to be fired and sequence is controlled by setting the MK 1 Rocket Selector Switch mounted on the fuel control panel.
(d) Armament master switch - "ON".
(e) Press bomb button on the stick grip (early models). Press rocket button on stick grip (later models).

WARNING - Do NOT push SALVO PRESET as the instantaneous firing
of four rockets places an excessive strain on the wings.

(3) F8F-2 airplanes are equipped with a MK 2 rocket selector switch which permits firing rockets in singles or pairs. A three trigger switch provides a separate trigger for rockets and eliminates the use of teh bpmb switch to fire rockets.

Here is a URL for the F8F Pilot's Manual for your info as needed:

http://www.avialogs.com/en/aircraft/usa/grumman/f-8fbearcat/an-01-85fd-1-pilots-handbook-for-navy-models-f8f-1-b-n-and-f8f-2-n-p-aircraft.html#download

Ah, good explanation. This is the -2 model so it seems there is a separate selector switch.

BTW, the manual is available for member download only.

Thanks

Not sure where I can go with this but for now, the munitions are visual candy only.

The best I could do is simply provide visibility of these items with as a maximum of only altering weight so not sure if that is so beneficial.

I can provide clean and loaded models separately and adjust weights accordingly but not sure if that is worth it.

Tacpac is the ultimate I suppose but that is out of scope for me on this conversion.

llanning08
May 31st, 2017, 10:51
Correct, Milton. Must be a member to download, but you can load the manual to read without logging on to the site.

PhantomTweak
May 31st, 2017, 22:44
Just a note for all who want to use a catapult launch rather than just flying off the deck, which I've done comfortably several times: There is a setting for your FSX.cfg file that makes the catapult work a lot better, on a larger variety of different aircraft. Under the [REALISM] heading, add the line CatapultForceLimiter=0 //Enables the catapult systems to generate the required force for any type of aircraft.
It keeps the cat from tearing the gear off, to give a shorter description :D

Not essential, but it makes the plane's end-speed accurate for that weight of aircraft, thus improving the plane's "realism". I use it, and it works great for me. Get a different end-speed for the Hornet, and the F8F, as well as the C172 I used when I was first learning carriers in FSX. Handy setting.

Good fortune all!
Pat☺

Milton Shupe
June 1st, 2017, 18:32
I have the bombs and rockets set up with mounts and bomb/rockets separately addressable. The model is ready to accept visibility control by a gauge.

The model loads up without them visible. Once they are visible, they are available for use.
Once used, the mounts remain in place.

So, what I would like to know is: would anyone be interested in providing an xml gauge to control the munitions.

I am thinking a 2D popup would be a simple way to go, but will certainly entertain putting the graphic and switches in the VC.

I believe 2 sets of switches would be necessary: a set for visibility/loadout, and a set for firing/use/hiding.
In each set, there would be 2 bomb switches and 4 rocket switches.

Please post here or PM me if you can help. Thanks

Here is the visibility code (and the rules for operation) in the model:

F8F-2 Bearcat Munitions Visibility

XML Needed to Control Visibility and Selection to Hide

Two Bomb Mounts and Two Bombs
Four Rocket Mounts and Four Rockets
Parts are numbered 1 to 4, port to starboard.
Rocket Pairs are 1 and 4 (outboard), 2 and 3 (inboard).

L:VARS Values:
0 = Neither mounts nor bombs/rockets visible (Not loaded or desired for flight)
1 = mounts visible (bombs/rockets have been used)
2 = mounts and bombs/rockets visible (Loaded and available; only ground loading, engine/battery off for safety)

Modeled XML Code

<!-- Bomb Mounts ONLY-->
<PartInfo>
<Name>BOMB1_MOUNT</Name>
<Visibility>
<Parameter>
<Code>
(L:vis_bomb1, number) 0 &gt;
</Code>
</Parameter>
</Visibility>
</PartInfo>

<PartInfo>
<Name>BOMB2_MOUNT</Name>
<Visibility>
<Parameter>
<Code>
(L:vis_bomb2, number) 0 &gt;
</Code>
</Parameter>
</Visibility>
</PartInfo>

<!-- BOMBS Only -->

<!-- BOMB 1 (L to R) -->
<PartInfo>
<Name>BOMB1_BOMB</Name>
<Visibility>
<Parameter>
<Code>
(L:vis_bomb1, number) 1 &gt;
</Code>
</Parameter>
</Visibility>
</PartInfo>

<!-- BOMB 2 (L to R) -->
<PartInfo>
<Name>BOMB2_BOMB</Name>
<Visibility>
<Parameter>
<Code>
(L:vis_bomb2, number) 1 &gt;
</Code>
</Parameter>
</Visibility>
</PartInfo>

<!-- Rocket Mounts ONLY-->
<PartInfo>
<Name>RCKT1_MOUNT</Name>
<Visibility>
<Parameter>
<Code>
(L:vis_rock1, number) 0 &gt;
</Code>
</Parameter>
</Visibility>
</PartInfo>

<PartInfo>
<Name>RCKT2_MOUNT</Name>
<Visibility>
<Parameter>
<Code>
(L:vis_rock2, number) 0 &gt;
</Code>
</Parameter>
</Visibility>
</PartInfo>

<PartInfo>
<Name>RCKT3_MOUNT</Name>
<Visibility>
<Parameter>
<Code>
(L:vis_rock3, number) 0 &gt;
</Code>
</Parameter>
</Visibility>
</PartInfo>

<PartInfo>
<Name>RCKT4_MOUNT</Name>
<Visibility>
<Parameter>
<Code>
(L:vis_rock4, number) 0 &gt;
</Code>
</Parameter>
</Visibility>
</PartInfo>

<!-- ROCKETS Only -->

<!-- ROCKET 1 (L to R) -->
<PartInfo>
<Name>RCKT1_ROCK</Name>
<Visibility>
<Parameter>
<Code>
(L:vis_rock1, number) 1 &gt;
</Code>
</Parameter>
</Visibility>
</PartInfo>

<!-- ROCKET 2 (L to R) -->
<PartInfo>
<Name>RCKT2_ROCK</Name>
<Visibility>
<Parameter>
<Code>
(L:vis_rock2, number) 1 &gt;
</Code>
</Parameter>
</Visibility>
</PartInfo>

<!-- ROCKET 3 (L to R) -->
<PartInfo>
<Name>RCKT3_ROCK</Name>
<Visibility>
<Parameter>
<Code>
(L:vis_rock3, number) 1 &gt;
</Code>
</Parameter>
</Visibility>
</PartInfo>

<!-- ROCKET 4 (L to R) -->
<PartInfo>
<Name>RCKT4_ROCK</Name>
<Visibility>
<Parameter>
<Code>
(L:vis_rock4, number) 1 &gt;
</Code>
</Parameter>
</Visibility>
</PartInfo>

Milton Shupe
June 2nd, 2017, 07:24
I think what I will do here is release this product as it is. All the changes recommended have been made. The optional .air file is included for the added drag on dive recovery flaps.
The bombs and rockets and mounts are modeled to not show until the required gauge is added to manage them. The parts have visibility tags so they can be individually managed. Instructions for what needs to be done are included.

So, when loaded, a clean version will show with a drop tank (that can be easily dropped if not desired).

The package will be uploaded Friday evening or Saturday morning unless something changes.

falcon409
June 2nd, 2017, 07:53
I think what I will do here is release this product as it is. All the changes recommended have been made. The optional .air file is included for the added drag on dive recovery flaps.
The bombs and rockets and mounts are modeled to not show until the required gauge is added to manage them. The parts have visibility tags so they can be individually managed. Instructions for what needs to be done are included.

So, when loaded, a clean version will show with a drop tank (that can be easily dropped if not desired).

The package will be uploaded Friday evening or Saturday morning unless something changes.
It'll be a great package Milton. I was hoping that maybe Roman would resurface to do the gauge you needed.

DaveQ
June 2nd, 2017, 08:20
I really, really wish I hadn't found this......:banghead: See avatar!

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50497&stc=1
Wings and tail on separate sheets, top and bottom. I'll give my best shot!

DaveQ

Milton Shupe
June 2nd, 2017, 09:26
I really, really wish I hadn't found this......:banghead: See avatar!

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50497&stc=1
Wings and tail on separate sheets, top and bottom. I'll give my best shot!

DaveQ

LLOL Here are two more that may help.

Milton Shupe
June 2nd, 2017, 09:29
It'll be a great package Milton. I was hoping that maybe Roman would resurface to do the gauge you needed.

Not a problem; someone will come along eventually to offer up the requisite gauge.

And, since the parts are now named, tagged, and documented, other techniques could be applied to resolve the matter.

Milton Shupe
June 2nd, 2017, 19:36
The F8F-2 FSX Native conversion has been uploaded.
One model, one texture, so protect any add-on textures you have.

If you have other livery textures, use the texture provided as a guide to show what textures should be included for each livery.
All other textures are in the common texture folder and it must be used for the new added texture features not available in old liveries.

Any issues, please report here.

Thanks

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/105978-Grumman-F8F-2-Bearcat-FSX-Native

ian elliot
June 2nd, 2017, 23:17
A big thanks for this, really enjoying mine, i have an interest in SE Asia at the moment and i found a French repaint by Oldliner from 2006 that works just fine. thanks again, :ernaehrung004:

bob407
June 3rd, 2017, 05:28
Restoration paint wip, long way to go....

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50539&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50540&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50541&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50542&stc=1

Milton Shupe
June 3rd, 2017, 05:41
Restoration paint wip, long way to go....

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50539&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50540&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50541&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50542&stc=1

That is looking sweet! Look forward to it.

Bjoern
June 3rd, 2017, 07:11

No. MCX is completely incapable of geometry-related operations.

Milton Shupe
June 3rd, 2017, 08:07
No. MCX is completely incapable of geometry-related operations.

Thanks Bjoern for that clarification. Good to know. :-)

However, there is no need now as I changed the bombs and rockets set up, added visibility tags, and the mounts and munitions show separately now in MCX.

Further, if someone develops a gauge for loadout and selection as documented in the package, using MCX to manipulate the munitions would be unnecessary.

Willy
June 4th, 2017, 06:14
Not just blue, but it looks good in red as well....

Just got around to installing it. Converted all the .bmp textures to .dds and added some of the older FS9 paints converted to dds as well.

Great Job Milton!!

DaveQ
June 4th, 2017, 08:35
Very much still a WIP. Only the one sheet done so far. Personally look a bit too big for me. What do others think?

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq136/DaveQ-photos/F8F%20Bump%20Test%201_zpsk2mtzjfz.jpg

Also any help with the stencil set would be really appreciated.

DaveQ

Milton Shupe
June 4th, 2017, 08:55
Very much still a WIP. Only the one sheet done so far. Personally look a bit too big for me. What do others think?

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq136/DaveQ-photos/F8F%20Bump%20Test%201_zpsk2mtzjfz.jpg

DaveQ

Dave, I cannot speak to the question posed but your work is really appealing to me. :applause:

speedy70
June 4th, 2017, 10:50
Looks great to me.
Leave the bumps as they are please.

Cheers Chris

bob407
June 5th, 2017, 02:04

DaveQ

DaveQ
PM me, when you get a chance, with instructions on how I may help you on the stencil set.
Thanks, Bob

DaveQ
June 7th, 2017, 08:33
A very minor point but is there any chance some alterations can be made to mapping the prop blades? Firstly, a single blade texture is part of f8fwings_T and this maps onto a pair of opposing blades by mirroring. Thus the texture is inverted on one blade of a pair and not the other. Normally the blade texture would map similarly for all blades.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50640&stc=1

Secondly a second texture is needed for the back of the blade so the stencil/logo can be removed.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50641&stc=1

Curse of the geek!! I don't get out enough!!:a1310:

DaveQ

Milton Shupe
June 7th, 2017, 09:48
A very minor point but is there any chance some alterations can be made to mapping the prop blades? Firstly, a single blade texture is part of f8fwings_T and this maps onto a pair of opposing blades by mirroring. Thus the texture is inverted on one blade of a pair and not the other. Normally the blade texture would map similarly for all blades.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50640&stc=1

Secondly a second texture is needed for the back of the blade so the stencil/logo can be removed.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50641&stc=1

Curse of the geek!! I don't get out enough!!:a1310:

DaveQ

Dave,

The mapping is original and unchanged by me. The texture is small enough that the lettering is unreadable, and the logo is symmetric so not an issue on the front side. However, the rear faces should not have the lettering and logo, I agree.

1) The easy and fast solution is to remove the lettering and logo.

2) The long, painful solution is to remap a blade, propagate it through all the still and slow blades, create a new, or change an existing texture to accommodate the new mapping, then re-release the whole package to multiple web sites.

I am opting for #1.

falcon409
June 7th, 2017, 12:35
Dave,

The mapping is original and unchanged by me. The texture is small enough that the lettering is unreadable, and the logo is symmetric so not an issue on the front side. However, the rear faces should not have the lettering and logo, I agree.

1) The easy and fast solution is to remove the lettering and logo.
2) The long, painful solution is to remap a blade, propagate it through all the still and slow blades, create a new, or change an existing texture to accommodate the new mapping, then re-release the whole package to multiple web sites.

I am opting for #1.
Of course there is third option (sorry DaveQ)
3) Crank the engine so you don't see any of it and go flying! lol

Milton Shupe
June 13th, 2017, 17:22
It seems we are not done with the Bearcat yet. Details later ...

DaveQ, I will try to address the issue you raised as well.

DaveQ
June 15th, 2017, 11:37
It seems we are not done with the Bearcat yet. Details later ...

DaveQ, I will try to address the issue you raised as well.

That's great news Milton. I'm on vacation in Cornwall atm; the rivets are about 80% complete and I have more information on maintenance stencils I can add. Hopefully the finished product will be the best we can make it.

DaveQ

DaveQ
July 2nd, 2017, 00:53
This is the finished version of the textures. Contains detailed bump maps and specs. I've not used alpha channels for gloss - just doesn't appeal. Will post later today or tomorrow (RW stuff as usual!)

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51407&stc=1

DaveQ

bob407
July 2nd, 2017, 07:19
That is looking really fine Dave! Can hardly wait. Thank you sir. :encouragement:

Milton Shupe
July 2nd, 2017, 07:40
This is the finished version of the textures. Contains detailed bump maps and specs. I've not used alpha channels for gloss - just doesn't appeal. Will post later today or tomorrow (RW stuff as usual!)

DaveQ

Thank you Dave; that's looking great! :applause:

Per your earlier request, I have completely redone the props. Here is a summary of changes:

Modified Bearcat F8F-2 by Milton Shupe - Objective - Update Props
July 2, 2017

Summary of changes
------------------

Redid props, animations, mapping for the still, slow, and blurred props
Prop blades now have separate mapping for front and rear faces on the f8fwings_t.bmp (at bottom).
Added slow blades (replaced blurred mesh)
Propagated the prop collars to slow and blurred props.
Animated blades to change pitch

No changes were made to affect performance.

End of Modifications
-------------------

I am attaching a replacement model folder and a new Ray Dieckman wing texture showing the prop mapping change.
I have simply added a rear face map next to the original.

Would you check it out when you have time?

Anyone else is welcome to try this. If you have other liveries, you will need to add the rear prop face.

DaveQ
July 2nd, 2017, 22:29
Thanks for doing that Milton, that's brilliant! I've just uploaded the repaint so anyone who has it is free to modify the f8fwings_T.dds file accordingly. If anyone wants a paint kit I can put one together in a day or so as well.

DaveQ

Milton Shupe
July 3rd, 2017, 05:13
You are welcome; there are actually a lot more improvements coming but that will take a while longer.

Meanwhile, here is an update that includes:

1) changed prop slow to not be semi-transparent (this will improve the slow start appearance that is coming)
2) animated pilot
3) added nav light bulbs to wing tips

This is just an incremental change that will be part of the forthcoming version update so this is optional.

johndetrick
July 3rd, 2017, 05:55
Thanks for doing that Milton, that's brilliant! I've just uploaded the repaint so anyone who has it is free to modify the f8fwings_T.dds file accordingly. If anyone wants a paint kit I can put one together in a day or so as well.

DaveQ

I for one would love a paint kit. There are a couple of rare USMC birds that I have my eye on.

bob407
July 3rd, 2017, 10:17
....If anyone wants a paint kit I can put one together in a day or so as well.

DaveQ

Paint kit would be wonderful. But take your time, no hurry. Thanks Dave.

DaveQ
July 4th, 2017, 03:22
Paint Kit uploaded. Happy painting!!:wavey:

DaveQ

Milton Shupe
July 4th, 2017, 04:55
Paint Kit uploaded. Happy painting!!:wavey:

DaveQ

Thank you DaveQ :applause: That is greatly appreciated.

George Kuhn
July 5th, 2017, 09:20
Rather than start a whole new topic with a question about your latest f8f-2 Bearcat that was released. I'm still an FSX user.

I installed the latest beta release of this plane. I did install it, and fly it some. My question is. How do I get the rockets and bombs to show up, and will they fire?. I did look at the readme doc's in the planes folder. One of the folders is related to and about the bombs and rockets. I guess I don't understand what I was reading. When I went to the War Birds Library. The download mentions something about I must get a or download and install a gage of some type, to see the bombs and rockets. or to get them to show up. So. What am I missing?. What and where is the gage, if I need it etc?. In the VC cockpit. It does show the two bombs and rocket panels, but maybe the switches aren't active yet, for them to work etc.

Maybe the magic man Milton and others will see my question here, and reply.

THX

George

spokes2112
July 5th, 2017, 10:13
George,

A complete weapon system is currently under construction - load panel, arming & firing switches (based on POH), new .mdl w/ all the updates, automatic loading and unloading of weapon/drop weights, sounds, effects etc.. Basically a whole new, complete version. Close to 2 weeks out, can finally see the light.

In the mean time you could use this to get them to show / hide - http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/106218-FSX-Bearcat-Weapons-switches-zip

Roman

George Kuhn
July 5th, 2017, 10:35
Thanks for the update Roman.

In the meantime. I'll go to your link, and get those switches. I hope I'll be able to handle the installing of the switches to the Bearcat. I'll reply here, if I have a problem with the install process etc.

THX

George

DaveQ
July 5th, 2017, 11:32
I'm going to the Flying Legends at Duxford on Saturday - the UK-based Bearcat will be there. Hopefully get to do a walkaround and add details I've missed!

DaveQ

bob407
July 12th, 2017, 23:56
texture as painted
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51731&stc=1

in sim
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51732&stc=1

painted
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51733&stc=1

in sim
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51734&stc=1

no hurry but thanks in advance for help

falcon409
July 13th, 2017, 04:07
Yep, I ran into that with a Blue Angels repaint I did. The underside wing mapping is really messed up but it is what it is. I was in the process of adding the "NAVY" on the underside when I discovered that was never going to happen so I had to leave that off the final livery. Very odd mapping, but nothing you can do about it without it being remapped.

Milton Shupe
July 13th, 2017, 04:43
Wow! That's strange; I was never made aware of that anomaly.

I'll take a look at it.

falcon409
July 13th, 2017, 05:09
Wow! That's strange; I was never made aware of that anomaly.
I'll take a look at it.
I'm sure I wasn't the only one doing liveries for this airplane Milton, but I knew about it some time after you did the alterations in hopes we could use it for the Race. I should have brought it up then but I knew it would mean a complete remap of certain parts and that wasn't really on the table at that time. My apologies!

Milton Shupe
July 13th, 2017, 05:55
I'm sure I wasn't the only one doing liveries for this airplane Milton, but I knew about it some time after you did the alterations in hopes we could use it for the Race. I should have brought it up then but I knew it would mean a complete remap of certain parts and that wasn't really on the table at that time. My apologies!

Oh, no problem ED. Looking at it now. Ugggh!

I am trying to sort it out and there are several issues some of which I am trying to understand.

In the end, I think I can get it right, or dang close.

Take a look at the attachment and you will see what I see.

I separated the two wings just to try to sort out the parts placements but the finished product will be back to one wing map.

EDIT: I went back to look at the original f8f-2 and -1 mappings and they are the same. So, if I cannot sort it out, I will remap the wings as close to the original as I can ... may be a few pixels off but would be close, if I have to do that.

falcon409
July 13th, 2017, 06:14
Good grief, no wonder! Some interesting mapping to be sure :dizzy:. . .not sure why it was done that way but it is interesting.

Milton Shupe
July 13th, 2017, 07:11
Okay, some parts I can correct but I do not like the fact that the left and right wings are mapped in different ways. For example, the spoiler on one wing is mapped in position on the wing; on the other, it is mapped apart from the wing.
EDIT: I was incorrect on the spoiler mapping; they are in place; only the wing bottom was out of place over the other wing bottom.

Then, there are some surface parts that share the same map area on one wing.

I have added both prop faces and the rudder map like the original to the template just to ensure I have all the parts in place to re-do the mapping.

So, let me ponder on this a bit to see what strategy I should employ. :-)

Milton Shupe
July 13th, 2017, 08:16
Okay, I think I have all the parts sorted now and have a preliminary plan of action.

I will use LithUnwrap to make the corrections shown on the attached, then I will recreate the line drawings template to remap the wings and parts to for a more accurate placement.

I will try to leave in place what is correct and just change the incorrect polys. Not sure I can select the correct faces and do that successfully.

If not, I will remap all of it to the new line drawing template.

Milton Shupe
July 13th, 2017, 08:54
Now, I have made the template changes to where things should be.

I will now remap those parts to the correct locations, if I can, and if so, then will re-generate the template with all the wing parts, prop blades, and rudder on one template.

If that is not satisfactory, I will remap the whole shabang.

Before I do this however, I am going to make some minor adjustments to the wing leading edge air intakes that seem to "fat" and flat to me.

falcon409
July 13th, 2017, 09:49
Nicely done Milton. This will really open up the ability for additional liveries and corrections to those that were affected by the original mapping.:applause:

Milton Shupe
July 13th, 2017, 10:08
Nicely done Milton. This will really open up the ability for additional liveries and corrections to those that were affected by the original mapping.:applause:

Thanks Ed. Just finished up creating the new replacement map but is needs to be tested, especially the inside joints of the outer wing folds. After I look at that, I will export the model.

I will post the template and model here for you all to test.

Here's what it looks like now, will not likely change, even though I may have to adjust the wing joints.

EDIT: LOL Just noticed some missing polys; it never ends. :-)

EDIT2: Corrected now

Milton Shupe
July 13th, 2017, 12:31
Okay, wing remapping is done and looks okay to me. hehe

Attached is a replacement model folder (copy your original).

Attached is a new f8f_wings template that may be helpful.

This model has some changes in it in preparation for a version 2 so a few VC thingies may be different or mixed. Ignore for now.
We should have the new version ready for beta in a couple weeks.

As a result, your paints will really be for the new version coming, not the currently released version.
With some effort, I could copy the wings back to the old/current version but I am not going to re-release that with an update since we are close to releasing the new version.

For non-painters, just wait for the updates. No need to download this.

falcon409
July 13th, 2017, 13:42
Thanks Milton. Unfortunately I seem to have a dead power supply. Since I wasn't doing anything today I decided to clean the interior of my PC, reset all of the cables, do some general house cleaning. Put it all back together and it's dead in the water. If I cycle the off/on switch on the power supply I get a very brief start up of the fans for the heat sink and the GPU but then they immediately go off. So I'm off to Best Buy to see what I can find in the way of power supplies.

bob407
July 13th, 2017, 21:48
Happy to report that the under-wing mapping fix is working beautifully here. Thank you Milton.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51783&stc=1

repaint wip ...still a long way to go but enjoying this somewhat new experience...
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51784&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51785&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51786&stc=1

DaveQ
July 14th, 2017, 02:38
Thanks for this Milton. When making up the paint kit I came across this anomaly but worked with it. Can now update the underwing lines and rivets, in particular around the drive brakes and undercarriage doors. It might be worth pointing out that the horizontal stabilisers and elevators were positioned as indicated - are they still??

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51793&stc=1

DaveQ

Milton Shupe
July 14th, 2017, 04:37
Happy to report that the under-wing mapping fix is working beautifully here. Thank you Milton.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51783&stc=1

repaint wip ...still a long way to go but enjoying this somewhat new experience...
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51784&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51785&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51786&stc=1

Thanks Bob; that was a 6 hour investment that is already paying off. Looking great!

Milton Shupe
July 14th, 2017, 04:40
Thanks for this Milton. When making up the paint kit I came across this anomaly but worked with it. Can now update the underwing lines and rivets, in particular around the drive brakes and undercarriage doors. It might be worth pointing out that the horizontal stabilisers and elevators were positioned as indicated - are they still??

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51793&stc=1

DaveQ

Dave, I did not move them, but did not know they were there either :-/

I will add them to the line drawing for accuracy sake.

Thanks for that heads-up.

And thanks for updating the Paint Kit.

I will have the correction in a couple hours.

spokes2112
July 14th, 2017, 05:37
Before I do this however, I am going to make some minor adjustments to the wing leading edge air intakes that seem to "fat" and flat to me.

Just for reference...
http://mybombshells.com/wp-content/gallery/posters/amanda-bearcat-w800.jpg

Milton Shupe
July 14th, 2017, 06:04
Thank you Roman; that required quite the air intake there :-) Still breathing hard.

I made those adjustments and they are included in the model posted above.

I have re-visited the f8fwings template and added the hstabs, elevators, guns, and exhaust ports.
Per the material navigator, now all the parts assigned to this bmp are included. Not sure why I did not think of that yesterday. :-/

I have included both a 1024 and 2048 for convenience. I labeled the parts on the 2048.

Hope this helps.

Milton Shupe
July 14th, 2017, 06:11
While I am into this, I think I will try to generate a template for the fuselage as well.

EDIT: Attached is a 2048 template of the f8f_fuse texture (in the zip file. I resized it to a jpg for the forum attachment). It has 119 parts on it, many small items like switches that share the same texture area.

I would have labeled it but the obvious parts you know, and the rest are in French so I did not take the time to select each one and figure out an English name for it. :-)

There are some parts that seem to overlap at the bottom. Not sure why but did not investigate. I made no changes to the model; just exported all the parts assigned to the bmp and generated the template.

Milton Shupe
July 14th, 2017, 07:06
I just took a look at generating a template for the cockpit but the mapping is so efficient in re-use of shared space, that was a no go.

The only way to position the cockpit area for new textures is to remap it entirely.

stansdds
July 15th, 2017, 03:45
Just for reference...
http://mybombshells.com/wp-content/gallery/posters/amanda-bearcat-w800.jpg

Nice shot of the intake and I agree, that woman is phat.
Pretty, Hot, And Tempting. :encouragement:

I just took a look at generating a template for the cockpit but the mapping is so efficient in re-use of shared space, that was a no go.

The only way to position the cockpit area for new textures is to remap it entirely.

A somewhat simple upgrade to FSX native is becoming a nearly complete rebuild. I do think the ABC Bearcat is now much nicer in FSX. :encouragement:

klnowak
July 15th, 2017, 03:56
Nice shot of the intake and I agree, that woman is phat.
Pretty, Hot, And Tempting. :encouragement:

A somewhat simple upgrade to FSX native is becoming a nearly complete rebuild. I do think the ABC Bearcat is now much nicer in FSX. :encouragement:

As ever ... woman is standing in the way .... to have a look at this nice plane :a1310::biggrin-new:

Greetings
Klaus

PhantomTweak
July 15th, 2017, 11:02
I'm sorry. If there's a plane in that picture, I'm not seeing it.

:very_drunk:

Pat☺

falcon409
July 15th, 2017, 12:24
Same one I did for my personal ride (minus the "noseart" lol).

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g84/ejwells409/Blue_Angels.jpg

DaveQ
July 16th, 2017, 02:29
Just re-loaded the paint kit with revised lines and rivets to more accurately reflect Milton's new wing texture map, with added undercarriage door details, re-positioned lines/rivets, speed brakes, and stencils. Uploaded in FSX Utilities.

DaveQ.

Edit - A new set of .dds textures is now available as well.

bob407
July 16th, 2017, 18:29
Just re-loaded the paint kit with revised lines and rivets to more accurately reflect Milton's new wing texture map, with added undercarriage door details, re-positioned lines/rivets, speed brakes, and stencils. Uploaded in FSX Utilities.

DaveQ.

Edit - A new set of .dds textures is now available as well.

DaveQ, just want to say thank you again for your truly outstanding paint kit. Easy to see there was a ton of work that went into this. Very much appreciated. :encouragement:

DaveQ
July 16th, 2017, 23:36
Thanks Bob. Yes, it was quite a challenge but learned lots from doing it.

Regards

DaveQ

bob407
July 20th, 2017, 02:02
The early beginnings of 4096 lines and bump mapping.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51948&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51949&stc=1

Milton Shupe
July 20th, 2017, 05:18
DaveQ and Bob, thank you so much for your efforts on this Bearcat. She just keeps getting better and better.

Spokes2112 is working to finalize the upgrades to this machine ... they look exciting. :wiggle:

bob407
July 20th, 2017, 07:40
DaveQ and Bob, thank you so much for your efforts on this Bearcat. She just keeps getting better and better.

Spokes2112 is working to finalize the upgrades to this machine ... they look exciting. :wiggle:

Thank you Milton likewise. I'm really enjoying the heck out this thing. :encouragement:

BTW I failed to mention on your under-wing mapping fix that I immediately noticed I had no spec effects so I went into the model file via MCX and found it not enabled. I re-enabled to its original setting and all worked perfectly afterward. I'm sure you'll want to get that on your 'to do' list. I'm very sorry for this delayed message. Anyway, thanks again for everything.

Milton Shupe
July 20th, 2017, 07:54
Thank you Milton likewise. I'm really enjoying the heck out this thing. :encouragement:

BTW I failed to mention on your under-wing mapping fix that I immediately noticed I had no spec effects so I went into the model file via MCX and found it not enabled. I re-enabled to its original setting and all worked perfectly afterward. I'm sure you'll want to get that on your 'to do' list. I'm very sorry for this delayed message. Anyway, thanks again for everything.

Bob, et al,

I have tried to make some improvements to the air intakes this morning and was going to post that for you and Dave to try.

But since you raised this issue, I will hold that.

Can you be more specific about what specular value you are referring to?

You have spec maps for the wings, fuse and tails, so I am not sure what value you are adjusting.

bob407
July 20th, 2017, 09:32
Bob, et al,

I have tried to make some improvements to the air intakes this morning and was going to post that for you and Dave to try.

But since you raised this issue, I will hold that.

Can you be more specific about what specular value you are referring to?

You have spec maps for the wings, fuse and tails, so I am not sure what value you are adjusting.

Hello back,

Here are the only two areas where I noticed the speculars were not showing up and so restored these files to original settings.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51965&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51966&stc=1

Milton Shupe
July 20th, 2017, 14:40
Hello back,

Here are the only two areas where I noticed the speculars were not showing up and so restored these files to original settings.

I don't know Bob; I cannot find in MCX a display like yours so I cannot check it.

Here is the model with the air intakes refined in the wings.

I added a fresnel ramp and checked the specular for it on those two textures.

The spec texture is assigned to both the fuse and wings in the spec level slot as before; bumps as well.

bob407
July 20th, 2017, 17:27
I don't know Bob; I cannot find in MCX a display like yours so I cannot check it.

Here is the model with the air intakes refined in the wings.

I added a fresnel ramp and checked the specular for it on those two textures.

The spec texture is assigned to both the fuse and wings in the spec level slot as before; bumps as well.

Wow! Those air intakes are looking to me, so far, just as good as the woman in the previous posts here! I'll be able get a better look in the morning once I remove some of the reflection off my wings.

As far as the specular issue, I'm seeing all the same missing entries as in the previous model for the under-wing mapping fix, resulting in no fuselage or wing speculars in sim. Filling in the missing data once again got the specs up and running. In the 'Material Editor' section of ModelConverterX are 2 files for f8ffuse_t and 1 for f8fwings_t. The first f8ffuse_t needed no change. The second f8ffuse_t file needed only 2 entries: on the line that reads 'Specular Map Power Scale' I entered 30 in place of 0, and for the line that reads 'Specular texture', I mapped it to f8ffuse_t_spec.dds (which was blank before). For the second file needing change, f8fwings_t, it is just a repeat of the first except that the "Specular texture" line needed to be mapped of course to f8fwings_t_spec.dds. All seems to be good now.

As far as to why ModelConverterX doesn't seem to be displaying the same for us, I'm also at a loss. Anyway, it looks like we're at least headed in the right direction. I'll study all this out more tomorrow to make sure we're both on the same page on all these issues.

To be continued .... I wish you a great evening sir.

Milton Shupe
July 20th, 2017, 17:46
Wow! Those air intakes are looking to me, so far, just as good as the woman in the previous posts here! I'll be able get a better look in the morning once I remove some of the reflection off my wings.

As far as the specular issue, I'm seeing all the same missing entries as in the previous model for the under-wing mapping fix, resulting in no fuselage or wing speculars in sim. Filling in the missing data once again got the specs up and running. In the 'Material Editor' section of ModelConverterX are 2 files for f8ffuse_t and 1 for f8fwings_t. The first f8ffuse_t needed no change. The second f8ffuse_t file needed only 2 entries: on the line that reads 'Specular Map Power Scale' I entered 30 in place of 0, and for the line that reads 'Specular texture', I mapped it to f8ffuse_t_spec.dds (which was blank before). For the second file needing change, f8fwings_t, it is just a repeat of the first except that the "Specular texture" line needed to be mapped of course to f8fwings_t_spec.dds. All seems to be good now.

As far as to why ModelConverterX doesn't seem to be displaying the same for us, I'm also at a loss. Anyway, it looks like we're at least headed in the right direction. I'll study all this out more tomorrow to make sure we're both on the same page on all these issues.

To be continued .... I wish you a great evening sir.

Bob, maybe that is the issue; there must be two materials for each and the main ones have the specular and the others not.

I'll look again in gmax and try to discern why the Material Navigator shows only one for each (I think), and yet they are split apart. I know the wheels, tires, and props are on there and maybe I copied them to eliminate specular from the tires.

DaveQ
July 21st, 2017, 02:58
Away from my desktop atm, only just picked this up. As with Bob407, thank you, Milton, for bringing us the Bearcat in FSX. Won't have chance to test the new intakes till early August, but the issue you have with MCX is that Bob is using the latest version, which is why you don't see all the P3D stuff in the materials editor. Hope that helps.

DaveQ

Milton Shupe
July 21st, 2017, 05:46
Away from my desktop atm, only just picked this up. As with Bob407, thank you, Milton, for bringing us the Bearcat in FSX. Won't have chance to test the new intakes till early August, but the issue you have with MCX is that Bob is using the latest version, which is why you don't see all the P3D stuff in the materials editor. Hope that helps.

DaveQ

Ah, that would explain it. Thanks

Milton Shupe
July 21st, 2017, 07:10
Thanks Bob; the oil cooler air intakes are some improvement but not perfect.

For the fuselage, wings and tails, a specular texture is provided to control specular. Are you using that.

For all other items, its a choice and No Base Material Specular may or may not be selected. Sometimes, not a simple choice as many parts are on a few basic textures.
That then would mean copying the materials/textures so that different material attributes can be used for different parts.
That also means more draw calls in FSX.

But, I am open to recommendations.

If you feel you must change material settings using MCX then of course you know you will have to distribute the model folder with your paints.

bob407
July 23rd, 2017, 03:11
Thanks Bob; the oil cooler air intakes are some improvement but not perfect.

For the fuselage, wings and tails, a specular texture is provided to control specular. Are you using that.

For all other items, its a choice and No Base Material Specular may or may not be selected. Sometimes, not a simple choice as many parts are on a few basic textures.
That then would mean copying the materials/textures so that different material attributes can be used for different parts.
That also means more draw calls in FSX.

But, I am open to recommendations.

If you feel you must change material settings using MCX then of course you know you will have to distribute the model folder with your paints.

Hi Milton,

Yes I do have the fuse, wing and tail sections speculars in or referenced to for all of my livery folders and using them. With no show in sim and upon investigation in 'Mat Ed' I did not find it mapped to these textures in your last 2 or 3 updated model releases but did find them in place in your earlier releases. Hope this helps.

Milton Shupe
July 23rd, 2017, 06:19
Hi Milton,

Yes I do have the fuse, wing and tail sections speculars in or referenced to for all of my livery folders and using them. With no show in sim and upon investigation in 'Mat Ed' I did not find it mapped to these textures in your last 2 or 3 updated model releases but did find them in place in your earlier releases. Hope this helps.

I changed the fuse and wings to use the specular color slot as well as the specular level slot that uses the _spec texture.

See if that helps.

Also added default specular to several other parts materials inside and outside.

Attached is a replacement model folder.

bob407
July 23rd, 2017, 08:48
I changed the fuse and wings to use the specular color slot as well as the specular level slot that uses the _spec texture.

See if that helps.

Also added default specular to several other parts materials inside and outside.

Attached is a replacement model folder.

Hey, hey,hey, got specular! However, to me, using the object's base color for base specular always seems to produce an unnatural color glow and to interfere with the color one is really trying to achieve. Plain ole shades of white/gray seems best to me. This is just my 2 cents and I'll be the first to admit I am no sim painting expert by any means.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=52070&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=52071&stc=1

bob407
July 29th, 2017, 13:46
What is causing the dark stripe across the top of the h-stab?

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=52311&stc=1

Milton Shupe
July 29th, 2017, 14:25
What is causing the dark stripe across the top of the h-stab?

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=52311&stc=1

Hi Bob,

I have noticed that in some lighting and thought it was the original paint scheme.

Upon investigation, I see the polys that make up the horizontal stabilizer has issues.

Shown as attachment, the polys on any surface should have their "normals" facing away in a perpendicular fashion. As you can see, they are sharply angled instead of perpendicular.

I'll get that corrected once I figure out how. :-)

bob407
July 29th, 2017, 15:12
Hi Bob,

I have noticed that in some lighting and thought it was the original paint scheme.

Upon investigation, I see the polys that make up the horizontal stabilizer has issues.

Shown as attachment, the polys on any surface should have their "normals" facing away in a perpendicular fashion. As you can see, they are sharply angled instead of perpendicular.

I'll get that corrected once I figure out how. :-)

Thank you so much Milton. This bird is going to look absolutely awesome! :encouragement:

Milton Shupe
July 29th, 2017, 16:06
So far, I have not found a way to correct the issue. I may have to rebuild the offending parts.

The wings have the same issue but not as pronounced it seems. I really do not want to redo the wings but I will redo the hstabs and elevators if necessary.

bob407
July 29th, 2017, 16:41
So far, I have not found a way to correct the issue. I may have to rebuild the offending parts.

The wings have the same issue but not as pronounced it seems. I really do not want to redo the wings but I will redo the hstabs and elevators if necessary.

No hurry at all Milton. I understand your situation. We both have plenty to keep us busy. Thank you sir.

Milton Shupe
July 29th, 2017, 16:57
No hurry at all Milton. I understand your situation. We both have plenty to keep us busy. Thank you sir.

Just found a solution thanks to the good people over at FSDeveloper.

Will take a bit to get it all corrected. Hoping I can correct the wing issues as well.

This involves all tail and wing surfaces, elevators, rudder, ailerons, and flaps.

EDIT: Okay, got all the changes made except for re-animating control surfaces.

The fix required redoing wings and tails and all attached control surfaces, resetting names, pivots, links of all attached objects, and re-animating.

Only the animations are left to be done but wanted to test results before finishing up.

Tests look good on all surfaces (except the left speed brake).

bob407
July 29th, 2017, 23:06
Just found a solution thanks to the good people over at FSDeveloper.

Will take a bit to get it all corrected. Hoping I can correct the wing issues as well.

This involves all tail and wing surfaces, elevators, rudder, ailerons, and flaps.

EDIT: Okay, got all the changes made except for re-animating control surfaces.

The fix required redoing wings and tails and all attached control surfaces, resetting names, pivots, links of all attached objects, and re-animating.

Only the animations are left to be done but wanted to test results before finishing up.

Tests look good on all surfaces (except the left speed brake).

Wow! Milton that is great. Amazing! Thank you again.

Milton Shupe
July 30th, 2017, 06:19
Wow! Milton that is great. Amazing! Thank you again.

Bob, et al,

Attached is the modified FSX Native F8F Bearcat model replacement folder that corrects the poly normals (and therefore, the smoothing/specular/reflections) on all wing and tail control surfaces, gear pants and spoilers.

Let me know if you see anything else.

bob407
July 30th, 2017, 14:11
Bob, et al,

Attached is the modified FSX Native F8F Bearcat model replacement folder that corrects the poly normals (and therefore, the smoothing/specular/reflections) on all wing and tail control surfaces, gear pants and spoilers.

Let me know if you see anything else.

Milton,

Tried everything my limited knowledge enabled me to do but couldn't get beyond a wing spec having a mostly broad, faded, flat appearance to it.
Good to know though I'm still able to come up with beautiful specs for the fuselage, belly tank, and munitions.

It was certainly worth the try.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=52335&stc=1

Milton Shupe
July 30th, 2017, 16:20
Milton,

Tried everything my limited knowledge enabled me to do but couldn't get beyond a wing spec having a mostly broad, faded, flat appearance to it.
Good to know though I'm still able to come up with beautiful specs for the fuselage, belly tank, and munitions.

It was certainly worth the try.

Sorry for slow response; been very busy.

Try the attached Model replacement folder.
Ensure you have the Fresnel_Ramp texture in the common texture folder.

This model change reduces the Specular Power scalar by 60% on the fuse and wings/tails, and eliminates the specular on the munitions and belly tank.

With that said, you may need to view the material properties of these textures and the SDK "teapot" section to ensure you are taking advantage of the available tweaks in the diffuse alpha, specular/alpha, and reflectivity.

You might note that the wings and tails (ignore the fared inner part) are very flat.

EDIT: You might also use livery specific Fresnel_Ramp and spec textures and leave the common one be. Sorry I know little about manipulating these to combinations to help you; if you are new to them as I am, I guess trial and error after studying the SDK is the best one can do.

bob407
July 30th, 2017, 17:14
Sorry for slow response; been very busy.

Try the attached Model replacement folder.
Ensure you have the Fresnel_Ramp texture in the common texture folder.

This model change reduces the Specular Power scalar by 60% on the fuse and wings/tails, and eliminates the specular on the munitions and belly tank.

With that said, you may need to view the material properties of these textures and the SDK "teapot" section to ensure you are taking advantage of the available tweaks in the diffuse alpha, specular/alpha, and reflectivity.

You might note that the wings and tails (ignore the fared inner part) are very flat.

EDIT: You might also use livery specific Fresnel_Ramp and spec textures and leave the common one be. Sorry I know little about manipulating these to combinations to help you; if you are new to them as I am, I guess trial and error after studying the SDK is the best one can do.

Thanks Milton. I'll check out the SDK and keep trying as you suggest.

DaveQ
July 31st, 2017, 01:55
Can I suggest we use dedicated spec files (f8ffuse_t_spec, f8fwings_t_spec, bellytank_spec)? You can then adjust the spec pattern to your taste across the model. Leave the munitions specular set at close to zero (I've used 8 before).

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=52360&stc=1

DaveQ

Milton Shupe
July 31st, 2017, 05:04
Can I suggest we use dedicated spec files (f8ffuse_t_spec, f8fwings_t_spec, bellytank_spec)? You can then adjust the spec pattern to your taste across the model. Leave the munitions specular set at close to zero (I've used 8 before).

DaveQ

Dave,

The fuse and wings have separately named spec sheets and bumps.
I'll add specs and bumps for the munitions and belly tank for maximum flexibility.

Currently the Fresnel_Ramp has only the Specular box ticked. Should I add Diffuse and Reflection?

EDIT: I checked all three Fresnel Ramp boxes.

EDIT: Here are the materials, textures used along wit hthe Fresnel Ramp, and the material settings, just FYI.

Milton Shupe
July 31st, 2017, 06:10
Bob, I am in the process of adding spec and bump maps to the munitions and belly tank. I was awaiting your response to see if my last changes improved things for you with the use of the alpha treatments or the Fresnel Ramp.

DaveQ
July 31st, 2017, 08:09
Dave,

The fuse and wings have separately named spec sheets and bumps.
I'll add specs and bumps for the munitions and belly tank for maximum flexibility.

Currently the Fresnel_Ramp has only the Specular box ticked. Should I add Diffuse and Reflection?

EDIT: I checked all three Fresnel Ramp boxes.

EDIT: Here are the materials, textures used along wit hthe Fresnel Ramp, and the material settings, just FYI.

I always check spec and reflection for Fresnel, in case I want to do a metal paint. Diffuse only gets checked for the canopy glass.

Don't use gmax but on your image it appears as if you're using .jpg's as spec and bump files. Should they not be .dds??

Finally this caught my eye when testing a bit of detail on the wing fold joint.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=52374&stc=1

The right nav light doesn't move with the wing on folding.

DaveQ

bob407
July 31st, 2017, 08:28
Bob, I am in the process of adding spec and bump maps to the munitions and belly tank. I was awaiting your response to see if my last changes improved things for you with the use of the alpha treatments or the Fresnel Ramp.

Milton, sorry for the slow response. I've been trying many different things and busy with real life stuff. All of the pics here are using the latest model you posted yesterday without any changes to anything and with all original unchanged textures in place (spec, fresnel, etc.). Looks pretty good except that maybe the spec intensity on the fuse needs to be increased some. The biggest problem I'm seeing is a change in color in the wing from the color in the fuse at nearly all angles. I don't know what's causing it. I've tried equalizing light intensities, and even without using any fresnel function, still a color difference. I checked the colors on the textures sheets and they're exactly the same but show differently in sim.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=52369&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=52370&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=52371&stc=1

Milton Shupe
July 31st, 2017, 08:39
I always check spec and reflection for Fresnel, in case I want to do a metal paint. Diffuse only gets checked for the canopy glass.

Don't use gmax but on your image it appears as if you're using .jpg's as spec and bump files. Should they not be .dds??

Finally this caught my eye when testing a bit of detail on the wing fold joint.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=52374&stc=1

The right nav light doesn't move with the wing on folding.

DaveQ

Thanks DaveQ. I will remove the Diffuse option on the Fresnel Ramp tick boxes from the exterior body parts.

Yes, I had to re-animate/re-link everything so I must have missed that light link. Thanks for the heads-up.

Gmax export ignores the jpg, bmp, dds, etc. extensions. Can be anything.

Milton Shupe
July 31st, 2017, 08:48
Milton, sorry for the slow response. I've been trying many different things and busy with real life stuff. All of the pics here are using the latest model you posted yesterday without any changes to anything and with all original unchanged textures in place (spec, fresnel, etc.). Looks pretty good except that maybe the spec intensity on the fuse needs to be increased some. The biggest problem I'm seeing is a change in color in the wing from the color in the fuse at nearly all angles. I don't know what's causing it. I've tried equalizing light intensities, and even without using any fresnel function, still a color difference. I checked the colors on the textures sheets and they're exactly the same but show differently in sim.

Thanks Bob for the come back.

Keep in mind first that the wing top surface is made up of two polys so there is very little curvature there.

Second, you are in high noon sun on those flat surfaces; what happens when you have lower sun angles, or banking 60 degree turns?

Third, are your reflective settings the same on the wing as on the fuselage? Higher reflective settings tend to wash out colors.

Fourth, I changed the specular color slot texture on the fuse and wings to be the spec map, not the original diffuse map. Noting that you specular highlights on the fuse are blue. So, that will bring out the specular more there. Let's try that on for size on my next change before I raise intensity.

Thanks

Milton Shupe
July 31st, 2017, 09:46
F8F Bearcat updates:

1) Removed diffuse tick box from Fresnel ramp for fuse and wings. Fresnel ramp now has Specular and Reflective checked.
2) Linked wing light to folding wing
3) Added bump and spec maps to munitions and belly tank (included for your common texture folder)

Model replacement folder and textures included in attachment.

falcon409
July 31st, 2017, 11:21
I wouldn't use specs and bumps if I didn't have to and here is a shot of the original release with the previous mdl update that was released a few days ago (post 159). So the bump and spec textures are just the original "placeholder" files with a simple alpha that I applied. There is a difference in color but I'm not sure if it's due to some "bump/spec" thingie or simply the way the light hits those surface (flat) as opposed to the fuselage (curved).

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g84/ejwells409/Bearcat-2017-jul-31-001_1.jpg

DennyA
August 25th, 2018, 15:20
Hey, so this seems to work great in P3D v4.3 except no instruments. Guessing the F8F_Instr.gau file is 32-bit gauges, eh?

Everything else is wonderful. Just curious if anyone had done an updated panel that's P3D 64-bit compatible?

(Also, where can I find the Blue Angels paint?)

Thanks!

stansdds
August 26th, 2018, 03:50
Hey, so this seems to work great in P3D v4.3 except no instruments. Guessing the F8F_Instr.gau file is 32-bit gauges, eh?

Everything else is wonderful. Just curious if anyone had done an updated panel that's P3D 64-bit compatible?

(Also, where can I find the Blue Angels paint?)

Thanks!

You would be correct. The .gau file for the gauges is similar to a .dll and was compiled as a 32-bit file, so it is a no-go in a 64-bit application. Unfortunately, .gau files cannot be decompiled and recompiled. It would take compiling the source file as a 64-bit file for it to work. Alternatively, new gauges can be placed in the panel folder or gauges folder to replace the entire .gau file.