PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the coral sea.........

Fibber
May 4th, 2017, 13:57
Thought that someone would have posted about this by now. Today is the 75th anniversary of the Battle of the Coral Sea. :wavey:

Rami
May 4th, 2017, 14:48
Fibber,

You're right; I thought of this as occurring later when the American and Japanese carriers duked it out, but I did start on 4 May.

ftl818
May 4th, 2017, 23:03
Thought that someone would have posted about this by now. Today is the 75th anniversary of the Battle of the Coral Sea. :wavey:

Also remembering: in the Netherlands we celebrate our Liberation day today. After a German occupation from May 15th 1940 to May 5th 1945 the war finally come to an end in the Netherlands.
Yesterday we remembered our dead with two minutes silence; our deported and killed Jewish Dutch, civilians and military killed in the war and afterwards in other conflict situations around the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvP5evlGTYI

Paul
Netherlands

Dirtman
May 5th, 2017, 02:57
Also remembering: in the Netherlands we celebrate our Liberation day today. After a German occupation from May 15th 1940 to May 5th 1945 the war finally come to an end in the Netherlands.
Yesterday we remembered our dead with two minutes silence; our deported and killed Jewish Dutch, civilians and military killed in the war and afterwards in other conflict situations around the world.

Paul
Netherlands

My father enlisted in the Royal Canadian Army in the fall of 1939; shortly after the outbreak of WW2 & shipped out to Britain in late Nov. 1940.

His regiment was one of many that fought the Nazi's for the liberation of The Netherlands. He was wounded in battle, but never the less; fought through until VE Day.

He returned home to my Mom in early 1946.

The interesting thing here is that when the Dutch citizens learned his name, they treated him like "Royalty".

Why you ask? His name was Joseph Thomas Orange. Our family bloodline traces directly back to Prince William of Orange (via Ireland) & the House of Orange.

My Dad passed away when I was 10 (1967), but I vividly remember some of the storied he told and how proud he was of his service to the Dutch people during this dark time in history.

Sorry guys, no jokes here; just Honour and Respect for those who fought & those who made the ultimate sacrifice in the name of freedom.

- T. P. Orange

Interesting sidebar: In the early 1960's, I accompanied my Dad & Mom when they visited one of my Dad's "war buddies" in a small town north-west of Toronto.

I remember "hanging out" that afternoon with an older kid from Britain .......

Flash forward to 2006 .... I met the same guy once again in this very SOH CFS2 forum .... his name? Collin Glendinning of CG Shipyards fame ... aka: "Cap`n Long-Jock Collin"

We'd yak on Skype almost daily until he passed away in March 2014.

Small world eh?

Sarg Willy
May 5th, 2017, 15:45
Nice Dirtman , Which regiment did he serve in , I,m a military brat as well , As my father also took that tour , part of the 5th armoured , and I,m chuckeling at your post , All though dad was 4th generation here , the origin was Irish , his mother Dutch , and the humour comes to the fact , an Orangeman ! so he probably too got privilege from association , had he mentioned that fact !

Ivan
May 5th, 2017, 21:08
The interesting thing here is that when the Dutch citizens learned his name, they treated him like "Royalty".

Why you ask? His name was Joseph Thomas Orange. Our family bloodline traces directly back to Prince William of Orange (via Ireland) & the House of Orange.

- T. P. Orange

Greetings Sir.

That ancestry clearly makes YOU royalty as well.

A Salute to you!

- Ivan.